Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

I live on Churchyard Lane. People used to turn into it at serious speed when coming up the Well Road. And the concern was that replacing the roundabout at the top of the Well Road with lights would further increase the attractiveness of Churchyard Lane as a rat run. The narrowed entrance, speed bumps, and (to a lesser extent) a 30kph speed limit has really helped with this. Locals driving insanely slowly up the lane to frustrate the progress of rush hour rat runners has helped too…allegedly…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Allegedly 😀 are you talking about me haha

I've always thought if they made it one way from the Key it would solve a multitude of issues. I know its a pain for those living on it, but would really calm the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Fining or towing people parked on double yellows would help a lot too. It's constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

The tight corner does nothing postitive to elderly, disabled or persons with limited mobility. Because they all are on the footpath when you're making that turn. When the light turns green for them they can cross and take all the time they need. I really don't see how making my driving inconvenient makes them more safe. That's some proper BS agenda. Where's the disabled, elderly or persons with limited mobility on Harbourview road. Nowhere. This junction belongs to motorised vehicles, not pedestrians or cyclists. No matter how inconvenient anyone makes for thousands of people driving through here, this will always be like that.

No cycling infrastructure in Lisbon, do you know why? Hills. Everywhere. Steep. Cork is 40+% hills.

Consideration to who, jaywalkers? I am sorry but I have no sympathy for these. People need to stay off the roads or they will get hurt. Go ahead and try to jaywalk elsewhere in Europe, people will think you're an idiot. I think there's a law here that if there's a pedestrian crossing 25m from you then you have to use it. But hey, in a city with no cops I don't think anyone will ever get fined.

Prioritising cycling makes no sense. If there was demand ok, but it seems they build all these cycle lanes and hope that people just start cycling. Apart from deliveroo very few people cycle. And the city spaces are safer already actually, do you read stories in the news about drivers knocking down pedestrians? Not really, it's an adrenaline sport to drive a car in cork, always have to be vigilant and look out for these morons on every corner.

You'll see handful of people cycling to Apple in the morning sometimes, but because there's showers there. Would anyone cycle to Mayfiled from town to spend a day there and then cycle back? No. It kinda sucks to be covered in sweat first thing in the morning.

it's stupid. all of it.

No I will not grab a bus. I don't go to town, there's nothing interesting there for me.

Not a problem if they use pedestrian crossing, like they should.

• Advertisement

I was there in mid September, it was 30 degrees during the day and 25 degrees in the evening. Dry. While sending pictures to my friends over here I was getting pictures from them, it was all rain and wind. Not ideal for cycling.

When you look at cork city centre from above it's all buildings and roads. Very few parks. Where's the benches where you can sit down? See that's the thing, it's not just weather and hills. It's the nature of the city. Shops, restaurants etc. No parks, no open space. Even Waterford has wide streets and you feel like you can relax there.

In Bordeaux the buildings are like 50 meters from the river. Plenty of space in general, parks and places to chill. You can grab a beer from the nearest supermarket and just relax, enjoy the weather. You don't have to look for a place to go to, you just look around and find a spot somehere nearby wherever you are. Or just look at the map to find something.

Or you can cross the river. Play some basketball, bring some music with you there's nobody around. Again, cold beer is handy. There are places to go there.

In cork it's all roads and buildings everywhere in city centre. You really have nowhere to go.

If I would move to Bordeaux first thing I am getting is a bicycle. Best thing to get around over there. I wanted to go to the train station on Sunday, instead of waiting for the tram (up to 10 minutes) and then getting there (10-15 minutes) I fired up the app, reserved closest bike and cycled there. In less than 10 minutes for like 3-4 euro.

You can cycle to Marina, or Lee fields. Or Fitzgerald's park. But where do you go from there? Suppose you make it to Lee fields. Can you continue cycling along the river to Inniscarra? I mean along the river where you are looking at the actual river, not on a road where there's cars passing you all the time.

The problem is that everything is private property, or vast majority of the land. That's why cycling is limited by this. You can cycle to Cobh yes, where else? Somewhere interesting. Not much towards west, north or east of cork city. And even when you go to cobh you just want that nice weather, and there isn't much of it.

Like in Prague you can cycle along there river towards south for like 20km's. And there's kiosks along the way, you can grab a hot dog or a beer (or 5 beers who cares, we only live once). There's playgrounds for kids, while you're drinking one beer after another. I never did it because I never had time but that's what life is like there.

The nature of the land here will not let you do that, we are limited to what's currently available as public space and there isn't much of it. For that reason recreational cycling is not really a thing, that's why the cycle lanes in city centre are empty and they will stay empty.

I am not against cycling, I am against illogical behavour, non sense. I don't like when stuff makes no sense. And driving along these empty cycle lanes, it's just weird. Who the F cycles from Glanmire to city centre? I never saw anyone cycling along the road there.

Like if there was a kiosk with beers and hot dogs down by the Lee fields I would have a reason to go there on my bicycle but not a hope this can happen 😂 People would just get sh1tfaced and for this reason there's no drinking allowed in public.

Some late night in August, I can feel the heat. I can taste the beer she's pouring. Like it makes sense to cycle over there, but not here I am sorry but forget about it. There's very few warm evenings here, maybe you can have a can of beer that's about it, but will you enjoy it? Like elsewhere in Europe?

Where around Inniscarra you can take a picure like this? By the yacht club maybe, but how do you get there from Cork? By cycling on the road all the way there? That doesn't sound like fun... or enjoyable. If you're thirsty there's no beer stands along the way either.

What planet are you on? There is no pedestrian crossing where Ballinlough Road meets Boreenmanna Road:

You’d be happy for your young child or elderly parent to try to cross the road at that junction would you? If pedestrians want to be seen by the often fast moving traffic on Boreenmanna Road, they have to cross apex to apex which is a distance of 25-30m. If they walk around the curve into Ballinlough Road so as to reduce the crossing distance, they become invisible. Neither is a good option.

There is no pedestrian crossing where Churchyard Lane meets the Well Road either by the way (or the vast majority of t-junctions around the city). But at least at this location the junction has been made much safer by narrowing the entrance and putting in speed bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What are you talking about, do you just say random things and hope some of it sticks? Lisbon has 80+ kilometers of cycle lanes and not just in the flat areas, plus a huge number of bike and scooter sharing services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I know quite a few people who cycle around Cork as their primary mode of transport. If you're not very unfit, you're not going to be a pool of sweat at normal cycling pace. People regularly cycle around cities without much fuss - you just don't cycle extremely fast / hard and you don't really exert yourself much.

If you've an e-bike the hills are effectively irrelevant too.

As for Bordeaux, I lived there. The areas around Place de la Bourse and the Quays are with in reach of the river, the vast majority of the city is not 50 m from the quaysides. It's got a huge array of narrow streets and suburbs, which historically were not at all cycle friendly.

It makes much better use of its quaysides than either Cork or Dublin. Cork should be a LOT more like a Dutch city in many ways (other than the hills) - it's got a very similar layout in a river delta. Or have a look at Nantes, which is more like Cork's layout on a bigger scale.

The whole environment for urban cyclists in France has improved a lot in recent years due to sustained investment in infrastructure, and particularly since the pandemic. This is true of Paris on an even bigger scale. The majority of French city were never cycle paradises - not by a LONG shot, but there's been some huge changes in recent years. Historically they were very car traffic oriented and often full of quite pushy drivers, and loads of on-street parking, but where there's a will there's a way and things changed.

There's really no reason why Ireland couldn't do similar.

If there's one thing France can do though it's a 'grand project' - when a city government takes a notion that it's going to pursue something like cycleways or put in a tram or metro - it just gets done. Ireland spends decades discussing it and then underfunds it, despite having plenty of resources.

• Advertisement

Maybe along the water to Belém, but when you look a the city centre it's all hills. I was there, not exactly cycling friendly. Trams and cable cars will take you pretty much anywhere...

Cathedral road or Blarney street they are both just brutal. I see sometimes Deliveroo lads collecting food from Subway/BK in the garage in Holyhill and they all have electric bikes. It's too much effort for couple of euros to cycle all the way up there on a regular bike. Again, very few cycling to/from Apple but other than that no other cyclists really.

Some side streets could be a slight challenge (cobblestones) in Bordeaux but wide main roads are good for cycling (they really need to resurface that one road that leads to the train station). Not everywhere you have cycle lanes available but I felt safe cycling on my Lime bike there even on the road. Cycling along the river was really nice. Plenty of space, away from cars. You don't even hear them cars at the widest parts. From the skatepark passing the Place de la Bourse you can go all the way down. When you stop at the Place de la Bourse and look around you'll see people going up and down along the river all the time. Place is buzzing. The best thing about the Lime bikes is you can just park it somewhere at the designated place and that's it. You paid, ride is over.. carry on. Great thing. I definitely prefered the bikes over the e-scooters because the seats were really comfy.

Well quaysides... you see there is no space that's the problem. The whole city centre should have the same amount of buildings but needs to be 2x bigger.

You could do similar but you would have to build a new city from scratch. Cork city with the current layout isn't suitable for cycling. You need to find a place on a map (flat ideally, or few small hills) and create a city from nothing. Wide roads, plenty of parks. Apartment blocks 3-4 storey high, shopping centres with underground parking etc.

Example, the Lough. This whole area should be green. Trees, footpaths. two three coffee stands, decent sized playground for kids, skate park... everything else just grass... you know, a place to go to on you bike... when the weather si decent enough.

And where would all the people live?

In buildings like this. These would make more sense than the houses with wasted space in front of the house and back garden that's unused for 8-9 months a year.

And another thing apart from cycling infrastructure or the layout of Cork city is the behaviour of cyclists. Nowhere else you see what you see here. Like the village mentality is just astounding really. Significant amount of cyclists are vulnerable because they lack intelligence. They are danger to themselves and others. All these below are few examples that I bothered saving from my dashcam footage. You really need to be vigilant when driving and walking in Cork.

This is pretty much standard in Cork city.

and then without giving a hand signal he just turns to Mardyke.

No lights, another standard in Cork city. They have lights in Dealz for couple of euros. How on earth anybody thinks it's ok to cycle without front and rear light?

Why would you cycle on a footpath? Why? Use the road.

Special kind of stupid.

this guy, ignoring a STOP sign. There was a HGV behind me, empty one but this isn't joke at all. Stop, look and wait. It's that simple.

Car is turning left, cyclist unbothered just crosses the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

You arrive at this junction (which since has been resurfaced) - YOU CAN ONLY TURN RIGHT HERE

The Traffic coming from the left road is minor - it's a minor narrow road yet they have right of way !

You turn left into Wallaces Avenue - you are faced with a road that has double yellow lines but cars are parked on those lines - cars are parked on BOTH SIDES and yes this is a 2 way street NOT a one way street.

Churchyard Lane - end of Boreennamannagh Road - Cycle Lane on the left has no barriers so it becomes a car park if or when there are ball games in the nearby playing pitches (Rugby and GAA) - Even if Garda are present the bicycle lane is ignored.

New Housing Estate on the right with the odd name of 'Alesbury' - formerly an Eircom depot - they got planning permission to build many houses there - yes housing is needed but a high rise car park should have been built there for the 3 local football arenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It is remarkable how many people I see around cycling with no lights. It’s regular in dublin too and if you’re driving it’s very, very hard to see them in the wing mirror.

I know it’s not all cyclists and people who take cycling even remotely seriously don’t do stuff like that.

I had a scenario recently where I was turning right, and from a major busy road so you’ve a lot going on around you and just as I was turning across traffic and into the junction, a bike went shooting across, in the opposite direction to traffic, cycling on the footpath at full pelt, and didn’t even look where he was going - just shot across across a junction without any awareness of any other road users.

I was walking on on a footpath out by UCC and stepped to my right, going around a puddle and got roared at “watch where you’re doing ffs!!” by a middle aged cyclist going full whack down the footpath.

Same attitude out on the Lee fields - was walking along and got a snarky telling even though I was not in a cycle lane and was n the correct side of the path.

if you criticise any this online you’re just turned into the bad guy by some people.

I cycle myself and I’m very pro proper cycle friendly cities but some people are really doing cyclists no favours by behaving like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Does anyone know if something was done, perhaps to light sequencing, that has resulted in morning chaos on the N71 Bandon Road approaching the Bishopstown roundabout? There are tailbacks every morning of several kilometers on the N71 now, and they've only started since January (they occurred in the past on the odd occasion, but now it's literally every single day). Something must have changed.

Alternatively, does anyone know another route from, say, Halfway to Bishopstown that avoids spending 20 minutes in a traffic jam?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭PreCocious

A guy who doesn't understand clamping accusing others of lacking intelligence - well that beats Banagher.

In the issue of lights - something needs to be done about the clowns driving around at night on their day running lights. Do they not notice they're not getting a whole load of forward illumination?

Also need to educate the front foglight folks - if it's not foggy don't turn them on.

Another issue is the crèche on Skehard Road. Mummies and Daddies park their Chelsea tractors straddling the path and the bike lane because they're too lazy to walk the couple of yards from the parking bay but don't mind causing an obstruction for other parents trying to safely use the path.

That bike path you show opposite Aylesbury isn’t a legally constituted bike path (or “cycle track” to use the legal term). It has the mandatory road markings but doesn’t have the mandatory signage. Without both, it is just part of the road. This emerged a few years ago when a load of people who had been ticketed while parked there (during Sat morning rugby training IIRC) had their fines thrown out. The real mystery is why the signage hasn’t been put in place since. I smell councillors…

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

Well as a motorist AND a cyclist at least I know now - it's still odd that the whole area gets used as a car park when there is a football game - they park everywhere but then I guess there are no alternative car parking arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Ugh

Whatever happened to your freedom ends where others begins? They park in a marked cycle lane because it's missing a pole? What a pack of inconsiderate jerks.... I guess natural justice means nothing in Cork, just whatever you can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

I know there's a back road from halfway/ crossbarry that brings you out near Marymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This junction belongs to motorised vehicles, not pedestrians or cyclists. No matter how inconvenient anyone makes for thousands of people driving through here, this will always be like that.

Stopped reading at this point. Absolutely ridiculous statement but unfortunately this kind of arrogant assumption is rife in this country.

I understand clamping very well, but not on a private property, where you are basically seizing property in exchange for ransom. Not ok.

Ok, it's exagerrated, but so is making a tigher turn in the name of safety, when there isn't even a footpath along the road. Like wtf are they doing? No, it's not ok. It worked perfectly fine before, now it's pain in the ass for every single motorist that has to drive through here. I posted pictures of examples, it's happening every day. Is this progress? Not at all.

The real problem in Cork city are pedestrians and cyclists, not drivers of motor vehicles. But somehow somebody (stupid) decided that cars are a problem.

Why would you start crossing the road when there's a car coming towards you? We don't drive on footpaths so please, stay away from the road when you're not supposed to be on it.

There isn't enough of parking space in the city centre and they are making the footpaths wider for no apparent reason. People will park their cars wherever it's possible.

one of few examples, Anglesea street outside the district court. Always somebody parked there blocking the lane. Usually cops, which is kinda strange because they are the ones who should follow the rules and laws.

I went to McDonald's in Douglas recently (because for some reason the one in mahon point SC is now closing at 6pm, so in order to have a milkshake before going to a cinema you now have to drive somewhere else apparently...).

Wow! Just look at this, why would anyone do this. People scraping their oil sumps over it. Brutal! What happened? Somebody died here in this car park? Was there accidents here happening every day? Or maybe there's no real reason, it's just a part of the whole city being destroyed.

Oh and when I was leaving this car park the car ahead of me rolled back at me. Nice, really nice. Is this the future?

It seems like it's just some weird trend or something at the moment (hopefully temporary). Just ruin the roads for all the drivers. Make their driving experience miserable. Behind Dunnes stores in bishopstown same, 4-5 speed bumps for no reason all of them like 5 meters from each other. Blackpool shopping centre, that multi storey car park, absolutely brutal speed bumps in that whole building. I drove over them once after they installed them, and it was for the last time. I will never ever go there again. And that car park in the middle is a nightmare anyway, all the time some cars pulling out, and cars crawling. Ugh. Just a mess. Better park outside the gym further away from all this and walk to dunnes stores/polish shop/Chinese takeaway etc. Make it as easy as possible without unnecessary hassle.

When I mentioned mahon point SC, they made a mess out of it too. Those raised pedestrian crossings, way too high. Proper BS. Also jumping on the bandwagon with all the empty cycle lanes as we can all see. "Look at us, we're progressive, everyone will cycle. Let's just wait and see.." Pathetic.

All this will backfire. People won't bother going shopping anymore. Example: will I go to Blackpool to Woodie's to buy a bulb for €8? No, I will buy 3 of them on Amazon for the same price. I don't have to go anywhere to drive over stupid speed bumps and instead of the money for petrol I'll pay for delivery. Or Amazon prime in this case. Most of the stuff is on eBay and Amazon anyway. If you can wait just order it online. I ordered a lot of stuff directly from China and waited weeks to get it. Saved 100's of euros over the years. Why pay €10 when I can wait 3-4 weeks and pay €6 instead. Makes sense to me.

So now when they are actively ruining city centre people won't bother going there anymore. Not enough on street parking, it's more difficult to manoeuvre a vehicle in the name of safety or whatever the reason is. What a joke. Are they adding speed bumps too? More raised pedestrian crossings? Well good luck with that, I already don't really go there that often so it won't bother me than much.

It's a shame this isn't like that Sim City video game. Cork city badly needs to be completely wiped and built again from scratch. Wider streets, more parks. Spread the whole city centre a bit more and the suburbs too. Make it more liveable and normal, so people would enjoy it. Where do you go to sit down with an ice cream in Cork city? Where's the benches? Where's the parks? Nowhere.

That's why the cities in the US are so easy to "use". They built them relatively recently and had plenty of space to do whatever they wanted. Certainly no need to rebuild junctions to make them "better". It's been all built to be ready to use without modifications needed.

Friar's walk, this bit here is so narrow that cars can barely pass each other.

And then it goes wide? What? Who was in charge of planning back then? Why? Just make every street the same width everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The real problem in Cork city are pedestrians and cyclists, not drivers of motor vehicles. But somehow somebody (stupid) decided that cars are a problem.

God yeah, could you imagine a city center with no car-related noise, pollution or traffic jams. What a nightmare that would be. (/s)

You do realise that if everyone had the same mindset as you, all of those pedestrians and cyclists would be in their cars, contributing to the jams and slowing you down? More people walking and cycling means that the car drivers also get where they are going faster.

Where do you go to sit down with an ice cream in Cork city? Where's the benches? Where's the parks? Nowhere.

That's why the cities in the US are so easy to "use". They built them relatively recently and had plenty of space to do whatever they wanted. Certainly no need to rebuild junctions to make them "better". It's been all built to be ready to use without modifications needed.

Some of your posts are so contradictory, it's unreal. You complained about where to sit with an ice-cream in Cork (Fitzgerald's Park, Tramore Valley, Lee Fields, Shalom Park, Marina - all just off the top of my head), and then immedialy hold up US cities as some sort of urban design barometer we should be aspiring to.

US cities tend to be some of the worst-designed, least walkable - mostly thanks to car manufacture lobbying and propaganda in the 50's. They are not some pinnacle of design. This is an interesting article US cities and poor walkability here. I would also recommend the YouTube channel 'Not Just Bikes' - he's an American living in Amsterdam and does good videos comparing the infrastructure between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gosh so much anger directed towards a city!

Quite simply, we cannot keep increasing the number of cars on our roads at the rate we have been increasing cars. We have, literally, doubled the number of cars on our roads in 30 years. We can't keep doing this.

Apart from emissions, traffic is just getting worse and worse and will continue to do so. It is simply not sustainable.

We HAVE to reduce the number of cars on the roads. We do not have a choice in this. We are out of space.

City spaces without cars are far more pleasant to be in, to shop in and to dine in. Research backs up that pedestrians and cyclists spend, on average, more money in city centres than those who drive in.

Policy isn't going to change. Get used to it. Measures that make driving cars into city centres less attractive will continue, and rightly so, imo.

Also, cars, vans and trucks are going to be forced to make more and more considerations towards cyclists and pedestrians. Get used to it.

We have a long way to go but the days where motorists are permitted to drive where they like, how they like, abandoning their property wherever they like are numbered.

I should also point out that I have a car.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I was having a pint in the Roundy over the weekend and I cannot fathom how they allow cars to travel around that area.

You have hundreds of people walking from the pedestrianised Paul St onto a narrow windy road packed with cars. A few bollards would make that area so much nicer. It's not like there aren't other routes if you have a car.

I would pedestrianise all the small streets around this area and turn the area into something nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah I hate people who use their legs to get around as well!!

These most recent posts have confirmed my suspicions that these posts aren't genuine but just someone having a laugh. Well played Diabhalta, well played. 👏

Advertisement