Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options
  • 06-08-2022 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭

A lot of changes being made to traffic lanes from monday 2 way on brian boru bridge,2 lanes going eastbound on merchants quay,to get to northside now from patrick street will have to go down merchnts quay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Any update on how this went today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I was driving in town yesterday and was no 2 lane eastbound on merchants quay. Unless was too early, but it was at like 11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Just drove new route around 1.30 - I do this journey alot to get to top of patricks hill from city hall - parnell place -> merchants quay -> patricks bridge . ! Pleasantly surprised ... was quicker, drove up summerhill instead of going back down the quay and cut up york hill to get to Patricks Hill ! I have reservations though what be like during evening rush hour and when schools are back !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

They are working on the 2nd eastbound lane still saw traffic last night and today coming up patrick street and going straight over the bridge or turning left onto lavitts quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's chaos at every turn of the lights by the Opera House.

Despite loads of signage everywhere, cars are still insisting on turning right onto Christy Ring Bridge. There is no priority for them in the lights sequence so they end up blocking people trying to go west along the quays and sometimes blocking traffic coming off the bridge. People really are asshats!

The junction needs a guard at peak times, for a while, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

Red light cameras would sort out alot of the traffic issues around the city if the lights were correctly sequenced but unfortunately city hall have other priorities. We dont live in a big city so it cant be that hard to manage . I dont understand why they seem to put the horse before the cart always and only do a half assed effort . None of the lanes should of been changed till the road works on patrick s quay and merchants quay were finished .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This has probably been effected in rush hour by two nights of crashes on the south ring.... and one night of crashes near the Elysian plus a second night of traffic lights out in that area.

The cause is people refusing to use a different route despite a shed load of signs.

Law abiding drivers, if they find that there is no right turn will go straight on and adapt their route. Self entitled people will turn right regardless of the obstruction they cause.

Of course, if they had taken heed of all the signs on Patrick's Street and Parnell Place, they wouldn't be in that position, anyway.

No excuse. It's real asshat behaviour.

I think we badly need red light cameras with effective enforcement.

It had become completely normalised for 1 to 3 cars to run lights at almost every sequence of most lights. Just spend a few minutes at any junction and you will see.

So the guy with the trailer was preventing traffic going East along the quays and another car behind him also trying to turn right was preventing anyone going west along the quays.

In all the chaos, there's lots of people running the lights too, straight through the pedestrian crossing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was at this junction as a pedestrian over the weekend waiting to cross and I noticed whole-sale ignoring of the new rules. The thing is that the timing of the lights, on both sides of the bridge, have now been altered. So now if motorists try to make that (now) illegal right-hand turn onto Christy Ring bridge to cross in the northerly direction they seem to end up stuck in the yellow box, blocking the traffic travelling west to east along the southern bank of the river.

Being charitable I assume that people don't realise that the rules have changed. There's a crappy little temporary sign hanging off a lamppost saying that there are no right hand turns. apart from buses, but a lot of people probably wouldn't even see it.

The timing of the pedestrians crossing next to the Opera House seems to have changed slightly too. In the past the traffic travelling east would get the green light to go across the bridge, then to go straight ahead, then they would both go red and the pedestrians would get a green light. Now there seems to be an extra 30 seconds or so where the traffic coming in the opposition direction (from Merchants quay travelling west) still has a green light before the pedestrians get their green light.

I'm afraid I can't be charitable and accept that anyone, when they get to that junction thinks they are allowed to turn right. The lanes have changed (only one heading west on Lavitt's Quay), yet no one is accidentally driving on the wrong side of the road!

There's about 4 large signs along the length of the Quay, signs at Parnell Place and on Patrick's Street (where they shouldn't be coming from after 3,anyway). They know!

That extra time in the lights sequence is to allow busses to turn right onto the bridge.

There is also supposed to be no left turn from patrick street to lavitts quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Anybody know is there a particular email or form to report issues with traffic lights? On MFR turning left onto Melbourn rd, the filter light doesn't turn green when it seems like it should (while traffic from Melbourn is turning right onto MFR)

It's still the same chaos with the right hand turn onto Christy Ring Bridge, complete with at least one car driving straight through the pedestrian crossing at almost ever sequence of the lights.

People are blatantly ignoring the restriction in the knowledge that there is zero enforcement - same as Patrick's Street restrictions.

So they are still coming down lavitts quay and turning right onto the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

In their droves! Absolutely zero enforcement. I see cars turning right there literally every time I pass. Sometimes there's a few queuing to do it and they block cars behind from going straight on as well.

Unless they can put those plastic bollards there maybe,im coming up cornmarket street to get to the bridge!

Can't. Bus is allowed to turn right there, plus there is crossing traffic from the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Traffic seems to be crazy all over the city. And a lot of the time the cause seems to be sequencing of lights. Lights are turning red with a green man every 30 seconds at Heineken. All backed up in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

i have to say walking into town at 8am and the junction of mccurtain street and summer hill with the new lay out has been a sight to behold. It does make you wonder do some people not care about the changes there and also makes you wonder how some people passed their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

I was going N-S over the Christy Ring Bridge today and while stopped at the lights about four cars made the illegal right turn onto the bridge. What really took the biscuit though was about 2h later when passing through the same junction I saw an Expressway bus do the same thing. The complete lack of enforcement is absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

What’s weird is that I’ve not heard a single horn blown. I reckon the majority of the muppets turning right have no idea about the change, so unless they start getting blasted out if it they’re never going to learn. I guess the people being held up don’t know either!

Seriously, they can't not know. The lane layout is completely changed, there are big, multiple signs. They know.

It would be of more concern if drivers managed to not see any of the signs.

It is, surprisingly rare to hear compliant drivers blowing their horns at arseholes holding up the traffic, alright. It does happen, though.

Buses are allowed turn right onto the bridge, btw. Problem is that there's rarely room for a bus because of all the self entitled twits making the illegal right turn.

I've blown a few of them out of it alright (I'm invariably going straight through west - east), makes zero difference. Shouted it out the window at one guy blocking the lane for those behind and got told to **** off etc.

Have also come the other way and there is no chance you could miss the signs saying no right turn - it's just assholes.

This is not true of any traffic lights.

Far too much priority is given to cars, rarely are pedestrians given frequent enough or long enough crossing times.

Don't try to blame pedestrian crossings for traffic when you are the traffic.

Traffic problems are caused by cars and exacerbated by poor driver behaviour - notably, blocking junctions and breaking lights.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭thehairygrape

Luckily haven’t driven in town since the new rules came in. Stood on Patrick’s Bridge the other day watching the traffic. Bit chaotic alright. Loads of cars turning right at Patrick’s Bridge and the Opera Hse going west. I just can’t figure out why the rules changed. Turning right was never too much of a problem when I used that route regularly. I saw one woman picking up an elderly gentleman from the side of Merchants Quay shopping centre and turn right on Patrick’s Bridge. I was trying to figure out what else she could have done? Where’s the next opportunity to cross the river? No one blew the horn at her and she didn’t really hold up any traffic.

That's a very specific scenario. She would have to go as far as North Gate Bridge to cross the river from there.

Generally, though, if you want to go north, you shouldn't be on Merchant's Quay, at all. You should turn right at the bus station, rather than left onto Merchant's Quay.

These changes are part of wider changes to traffic flow. I don't really fully understand it yet, but the changes aren't finished.

But drivers just need to follow the rules, irrespective of whether they agree with them or not. Otherwise, chaos reigns. What other rules can we ignore? One way streets? Pedestrian streets? Already yellow boxes and traffic lights are routinely ignored. Drivers really need to cop on in a big way and an Gardaí need to ensure they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

No what I meant was the pedestrian light is coming on even when there are no pedestrians. It should only come on when the button has been pressed.

Advertisement