Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Diabhalta must be a pisstake at this stage. I believed it for a while as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

My favourite post was "We don't drive on footpaths" followed by a picture of a car parked on a footpath. How did it get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tony Polster

Brilliant!

I was thinking nobody could be that stupid, but yer one Diabhalta has proved us all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah, you are using the wrong kind of logic!

The cause of the car on the footpath is the lack of parking spaces and the proliferation of cycle lanes and oversized footpaths. It is not the fault of the driver who drove their car onto the footpath and left it there!

A couple of years ago there was wonderful "logic" used in a similar thread. A poster claimed that if the fixed costs of motoring were reduced, people would be encouraged to use their cars less. The "logic" was that as people pay so much to have cars that they are damn well going to use them - make it cheaper and they would walk and cycle! They argued this point over and over.

This is what you are up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Anybody knows what's happening next week on harbourview road, why is it closed from monday the 26th?

I assume they will be building the raised pedestrian crossings that were promised?

correct, children cannot play on the road, that's why they go to a park.

• Advertisement

I am talking about city centre re the parks, none of those places you mentioned are in the city centre (except the junkie and bird sh1t park). By the time you get to Atlantic pond etc. your ice cream will melt. Quays are roads, no benches.

City you mean the council? Sorry but what I see is degeneracy. They clearly haven't talked to experts to see what's the best thing to do. Everything takes longer, people are driving through red lights that's how much it sucks to be driving in city centre nowadays. All the changes ruined this whole place, city council ruined this place, totally.

it's busy in the morning and in the afternoon 3-6pm, that's about it. What's the policy on empty double deckers following each other? is that staying also? from like 9-3pm very few people use the public transport.

the space is out there, the council is removing parking spaces for who knows what reason. The will isn't there.

I don't think you realise that this isn't spain, it's summer now, come september it's over. People won't be cycling like they do now, whoever thinks they will is delusional. Public transport sucks it's unbelievable how sh1tty it is.

Considerations towards pedestrians jaywalking and cyclists just being nuisances and cycling wherever they like? Society is too soft on stupid people, that's the problem. Too many sausages everywhere.

Cork city is called a city only because it's large in size. In fact cork city is a village, and majority of people living here are villagers. It's ok to walk, it's not ok to be a moron while walking. Try some stuff people are doing here abroad, and people will think you clearly have low IQ.

just look at this guy, having a stroll in the middle of a junction. Nobody cares. Some village ffs, I know we are at the very end of Europe in the middle of nowhere but come on. Get your sh1t together will ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭crayon80

Troll 🙄🙄🙄

It's still bonkers at the Opera House junction. People constantly making the illegal right turn and running red lights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

During the gorgeous weather last week I had an hour to kill before the opera house, got the time wrong. Spent most of it watching on from Luigi Malones. Chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

And if you are coming from the opera house direction and just on the turn to the bridge, those cars that make the illegal turn are looking at you as if you are in the wrong for blocking their way 🙄

Also, I was in conversation with someone receently who genuinely assumed that the Patrick's Street restrictions were long done away with. They almost didn't believe me that it's still in place, given how it is routinely ignored and almost never enforced.

Regarding the Opera House craziness, what boggles me is that the whole line of traffic held up by selfish drivers, typically just wait quietly behind these bell ends, with rarely even a beep.

Although, this might be explained by the fact that a sizeable portion of the people held up are planning to do the very same thing themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

I just land on the horn and don't let up until they move. Amazing how often that actually works. It was the same shít this morning when I was going up Summer Hill North and trying to turn left into York Hill. The whole junction was blocked up by selfish, entitled arséhóles coming down York Hill and taking the illegal right. €1,000 on the spot fine. No mercy.

This is what I expect people to do and probably what I would do but it is very annoying for pedestrians to be listening to that carry on.

I've found myself in horn blaring competitions. Subsequently, I've realised that any observers don't give a fiddlers who is in the right. They just see and hear two arseholes blaring their horns!

I have been one of those arseholes (but in the right, of course 😂).

Going to be brutally honest here and say I have done this a few times.

Checked google maps thinking no way it's left turn only.

Confirmed. Left turn only.

hmm. I guess the only sign is right across the road, so if a bus is waiting in Line you could miss it. probably needs some writing on the road itself, or, the sign before the junction

Either way, glad I didn't get a 1000 euro fine. Duly noted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

+ 1 to the above regarding Right turn from York hill onto Summer Hill not allowed , McCurtain st a disaster these days from Patrick's hill and was stuck for time so took the detour via Wellington road to get back to capwell . I did not know this as I see loads of people doing it as I go up york hill now getting to Patrick's hill from south side .. now noted- , up to St Lukes I go as I reckon still be faster !! We need a north/South fly over bridges in the city 😀 !!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's usually very quick to get out at St Luke's and shoot back down Summer Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got some guy blasting the horn at me recently as i came from opera house side and he came from other direction cut across the traffic beside me going straight on!

Well Cantalach! Your post just removed 2 drivers from turning right! Perhaps setting up camp one evening on a chair with a Physical post of our replies would be both humorous and productive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently traffic by the tunnel bad as ever despite the new layout.

Bound to be teething problems. Most likely caused by poor driving due to unfamiliarity, rubbernecking and stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Theres a long discussion about this in the Roads forum. Unfortunately it seems as if merging traffic from Mahon is causing the tailbacks now, not the tunnel.

people don't use all of the slipway coming from Mahon merging. They insist on just indicating, and stopping and waiting to be let in the moment they are level with the traffic. They need to drive down slowly and merge, use all of that lane.

True people don't know how to use merging lanes. People are probably afraid of being accused of queue jumping in they are going passed stopped traffic in the main lanes.

Hardly surprising when so many people have no idea how to use lanes, generally. We are a nation of middle lane drivers when it comes to 3 or more lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

The problem is that when you do that inevitably someone won't let you in. I've tried to merge normally do many times here and 'merge like a zip' does not work.

You are constantly relying on having to be let in and it's a dance of flashing headlights and thanking with flashes of hazard warners as if someone has done a massive favour for allowing a merge in heavy traffic rather than blocking the merging lane.

If you get stuck in that lane between the Bloomfield interchange and Mahon Point on traffic it's almost impossible to merge. They all look ahead stoneyfaced and I assume thinking 'queue jumper!'

My view of irish drivers is they don't know how the rules of the road work. Can't use lanes. Don't use indicators. Most people can't merge and treat merges like as if they're T junctions or something. I've seen people stopping on motorway merges without any reason to do so. They all drive in the middle lane on the M7 despite the extra lanes being added at cost of millions and millions. You even get the odd moron driving in the outer over taking lanes slower than traffic.

A lot of drivers are often extremely petty and passive aggressive, particularly in heavy traffic and it causes clogs.

Then you get the odd weird road rage episode. I had a situation where I was in a single lane which had a fly light but I was going straight on and it was full red. Nothing I could do but wait. Guy behind stood on the horn. Then got out of his car and sort of had a little rant waving his arms about and trying to pull my door open. Then got back into his car and couldn't start his engine... Total psycho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They need signs up all over the country about zipper merging, or merging in turn:

The RSA should be running ads about it constantly too. It speeds things up and reduces accidents, but Irish drivers seem to interpret it as cutting in or jumping the queue.

Advertisement