Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I see the number of vehicles as the problem there, not the safety measure for people not creating pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Those lights were obviously faulty at the time. There is no way that the light sequencing would favour pedestrians like that deliberately in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Agreed, though the faulty default seems to be to never go green for pedestrians, like the corner by The (ex) Sextant at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Good to hear that you actually saw the video after you insisting that I was wrong. And it's still 'faulty'. I can get another video if you need confirmation.

But you didn't portray the lights as faulty in your original post.

Had you said that the lights were obviously faulty and going red every 30 seconds, no one would have doubted that.

It is pretty unbelievable that normally functioning lights would change to pedestrian crossing every 30 seconds.

I accept that what you posted was correct, although framed in a strange way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

What people? The invisible people appearing every 18 seconds? :)

There are plenty of places this makes sense at busy times, grand parade, or on Pana. But by Heineken? It's a bit thick tbh. Causes a bottleneck = idling = pollution. That intersection is funneling people out of the city, why block it up and keep vehicles hanging around in the city longer?

I have no idea who is in charge of traffic control in the city, but there are some pure dopey setups around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I think you miss the poster's sarcasm... You demanded evidence that the pedestrian lights were activating every 30 seconds ("You won't video anything to evidence your every 30 seconds claim") when there were no pedestrians. You were given that evidence (showing in fact that it's well less than 30 seconds) but ran off for a week without replying before turning around and deciding that they were "obviously faulty". Poster above has confirmed they're still the same - they ain't faulty TBU, this kind of timing is emerging policy as pioneered in Dublin - supposedly to facilitate social distancing but really just to frustrate motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Underdesigning to build for the now and not the future, underestimating population increase and a paralysing fear of a new project not being jam packed on day one play a huge role in the dire straits of infrastructure all across Ireland. The ridiculous timeline on the East West Luas and the complete ignorance of a North South Luas are perfect examples of this. If you want to get public transport use to increase, do it properly the first time. Instead we are messing around with a half assed "rapid bus lane" which will take 10 years to implement before the Luas following the same route is supposed to be open in 20 years time. Just do it right the first time! Ya it might be under capacity for a few years but developments will build around a facility like the Luas as we have seen in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I've sent an email to the roads department about the lights at Leitrim St so we'll see if anything come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Those lights are faulty at times was stuck on red coming from blackpool while the bypass kept getting green,we had to drive through the red eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

What city council si doing is an absolute disaster and they continue doing it.

One of many examples here is tightening the corner radius on Harbourview road. It's more difficult to manoeuvre a regular car here, let alone a lorry.

This isn't the driver's fault, this is obviously caused by the corner to be too tight. Non sense. Absolute non sense.

Any large vehicle just has to use the cycle lane to be able to continue.

Clearly city council has no idea what they are doing.

same junction

cyclist almost got knocked down, not the driver's fault. Corner is way too tight. He was shaking his head, apparently had no idea it was better before and it wouldn't happen if the city council left it the way it was.

cars here at this stage had to stop and let the truck go. Strange really. But hey, that's the standard now at this ruined junction. Thanks cork city council, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

If the cyclist was in that position, in the designated lane before the driver started the manoeuvre and "almost gets knocked down", then it is entirely the driver's fault. Anyone who things otherwise should hand up their licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tony Polster

Please explain in detail why.

Road should be suitable to all traffic. City council ruined this junction, I see it almost every day what's happening here. It was perfeclty fine before, but because they tightened the radius cars are all over the place. Not the people's fault the layout changed for the worse.

People never drove like this before, they only started after the changes. It's simply because... yes, tighter radius. More difficult manouvering, extra effort for no apparent reason.

whose fault it is that he has to use the cycle lane to make that turn huh? He slowed down significantly and I had to also before making it to the lights.

I think it's clear what's wrong here. But hey, maybe I am wrong, maybe it's the best junction in Cork city, county and the whole country.

... it is a mess so thanks for giving us some extra space. Much appreciated 👍️

further below, exact same problem. Absolute trash of a junction 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

You can't tell me that flat bed truck needed to go that far out just to turn the corner, like a large amount of junctions in the city aren't also exactly like that

maybe not but it's more convenient to go this wide.. a lot of people do it even in regular passenger cars. Including me.

Like I said, people never drove like this before. The radius is way too tight. This supposed to never happen but here we are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

All I'm seeing here is drivers who need to learn how to drive or even have their licenses revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

If the driver cannot make the turn without encroaching on the bike lane ( or other lanes) then the driver waits until its safe to do so. Just because the corner is tight doesn't give them carte blanche to ball-on, regardless of consequences.

Plus, as DylanQuestion pointed out, there is some seriously shocking road positioning going on by so-called "professional drivers". If there happened to be a guard at the junction at the time, two of those trucks would have made nice, safe tidy turns. The entire reason that local authorities are tightening up junctions everywhere around cities is to get the half-wits to slow down and have a little more consideration for road users, particularly vulnerable ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

You seem to think that they’re making the radius tighter at junctions just for the craic. Entrances to side roads are being made narrower across the country because it’s proven to improve safety for pedestrians, particularly more vulnerable ones. It achieves this in two ways. Firstly, it reduces the speed at which a vehicle can make the turn. Secondly, it reduces the corner-to-corner distance that a pedestrian has to cross. I fully support this and, for the record, I’m a cyclist (the group you seem most concerned about).

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Yeah, and it's more convenient to go through red lights but that doesn't make it right

It's crazy what the priorities of the planners are here! Imagine inconveniencing drivers just to make pedestrians safer! Lunacy, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tony Polster

You've answered your own question here, as to why people like you should be off the road. Willing to kill people to avoid being inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

For the safety of other road users you should strongly consider handing in your license.

I don't know if you know this area but there's almost no pedestrians walking here, like ever. It's rare to see someone walking there really so I am asking this: what pedestrians?

Way more cars are driving through this junction, inconvenient for hundreds of people just for that one guy with his dog that crosses here once an hour definitely doesn't seem right. When you look at google street view and look at some of the older pictures you'll see the place is deserted, but you'll always see cars. It's pathetic the whole junction now. It doesn't make logical sense and it's making driving through here worse.

Also it's an inconvenience to be zig zaging so everyone just goes straight right here, like before. This new layout is crap and does nothing positive for pedestrians, it's a huge inconvenience for people in cars, that use this junction every day.

before:

after:

so you do a sharp turn for no reason (trying not to hit the car in the turning lane in the process, Nissan driver leaving space as we can all see) then go straight for a bit, then go slightly right, then again left. It's annoying and in no way progressive. Sorry but this is absolute total garbage.

People will simply drive straight, because that's the normal way. Nobody is handing back a driving licence no I don't think so, this layout is trash. And will be trash until it's changed to what it was before. I see something like this every single time I drive through here.

It seems to me that pedestrians are this type of saints in traffic that need to be protected at all costs. Pedestrians are also idiots and there's plenty of them. So yeah, I am not a big fan of pedestrians. I am a pedestrian myself and I don't feel the need for more safety. It's not the junctions that need changing, people need to stop being dopes. Tigher corner radius does absolutely nothing.

I read somewhere wider footpaths will encourage walking. No, people will walk wherever they want no matter how wide the footpath is wide or how safe the junction is.

on the right, walking into moving trafiic like a total moron. Two lanes of cars. Clever girl.

With the old layout the truck would have had more space without almost knocking down that cyclist. And being a professional driver of this huge vehicle he knows that he can't go fast with that whole thing so he'll slow down to appropriate speed.

If I was a cyclist here and would get knocked down by truck I would definitely make the city council responsible for it also. That junction is now more dangerous, it was better before in all aspects.

btw. if you go straight to Apple there's a turning lane facing you. I mean come on. Like if somebody isn's faimilar witht his area, and approaching this junction and out of nowhere there's a car that's head on. Never anywhere in Europe I saw something like this. Wtf is this, seriously.

zig zaging like idiots here everywhere, it's not right.

• Advertisement

Those vehicles are big and they don't fit here anymore. Speed was never an issue here what are you talking about? I drive through that junction almost every day for several years so I know what I am talking about.

Look at this Hyundai slowing and stopping to let that truck go. It really doesn't work. It's just not, no matter what you think about this, how good idea this is this new layout is stupid.

Advertisement