Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are the guards allowed pick and choose what laws they enforce?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

They have the right to prioritise given resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BagofWeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah, thats a disgraceful statement from the Gardai.

In other news, I've decided to potter along in the left lane all along the N40W in the morning, behind whatever lorries (and East Cork Crane Hire, ugh) that is there, even if it slows me down. The right lane is a free-for-all of tailgating. Much better to stay in the left lane and just take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Be right back

The male driver in the 10 C Citroën picasso driving south to the tunnel holding his phone while apparently face timing someone.. 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I counted 4 drivers with their phone in their hand during one sequence of the lights at the opera house the other day. About 10 cars passed me. 40% on their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

What is it with all the drivers around Cork indicating right, when they're driving straight through(usually second exit) a roundabout?? It's so annoying. I'm driving 20 years, but it's only something I've noticed that's been getting worse over the last few years. The rules of the road tell us that when it comes to indicating at a roundabout, you think of it as a clock. You only indicate right when you're going past 12am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Was there a crash today, never seen the traffic so bad approaching the link this morning ?

Two, I believe. One in Douglas and one in Mahon.

Buddy of mine took 1 hour 40 mins to get to town from Passage today. Gross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bad accident on carrs hill earlier car veered into truck which overturned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It stops the lad waiting at the first exit from shooting out on front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

If he knows how to indicate, he should stay put, unless you're indicating left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Traffic wardens working today for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

They are now rostered 7 days a week which is much needed.

Didn't know that helps stop the stupid parking you would see on a Sunday.

What is it about the quays that makes people ignore the rules of the road? If you come up the quay you have the idiots blocking traffic by trying to turn right onto Christy Ring bridge. Further up then you have cars that are coming down the quay and turn right down Cornmarket Street regardless of whether the lights at the coal quay are red or green. And then you have cars that turn right onto North Gate Bridge even if the light to turn right is red.

No enforcement anywhere I guess…

There's a lot of light running and illegal turning in that area, for sure. I'm always banging on about it. However, you are wrong about cars turning right onto Cornmarket street. That junction is before the traffic lights and does not have a pedestrian crossing. If turning right, there, when the lights are red, you aren't going through any red light - you are taking a right turn before you get to or pass through any red light. Study the junction next time you're there. To break a red light you have to pass one.

• Advertisement

It's just on the line surely? If your lights aren't green then you're crossing the line of traffic coming around the corner from cornmarket street or down the quay?

Badly designed layout anyway regardless of whether that one street is or is not controlled by those lights.

I don't understand what you mean by, "just on the line". You either pass through the lights or you don't. This turning is before the traffic lights. The lights are, literally after the turn. Yes, it's close to the other junction but it's before the traffic lights.

Same as turning right anywhere - you have to cross oncoming traffic to turn right. I don't see the problem with this junction. There is a problem with drivers breaking the lights like there is at pretty much every junction, though.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is it not the position of the stop line that's important, not the lights themselves? The stop line is before the right turn.

This is a good point/question.

I have, however, thought of a situation where the stop line is dependant on where you are going.

You are on Lavitt's Quay, by the Opera House, wanting to turn left onto Christie Ring Bridge. The left lane goes left onto the bridge and also straight ahead. If you wish to go straight ahead and the lights are red for straight ahead, then the stop line applies to you. If you are going left onto the bridge and have a left filter, obviously, the stop line doesn't apply to you. So, the same stop line, in the same place appears to have different meanings, dependant on where you are going. (also it seems most people don't realise that you can go straight ahead from the left lane here, and people get honked at for not proceeding onto the bridge when the left filter comes on, despite there still being a red for straight ahead)

So, similarly, at the top of Cornmarket Street, I'm claiming that the stop line applies if you are going straight ahead, but not if you are turning right as you can do both from the same lane.

To me, it's obvious that if turning right, the lights don't apply to you but to others it isn't. It would be interesting to see how it might play out in court.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trackrunner

But the situation you describe from Lavitt's Quay onto Christy Ring Bridge is not the same as cornmarket street. You're describing a situation where you have 1 stop line and two different lights depending if you want to go left or straight - in either case you do not cross the stop line until the relevant light is green for you to proceed.

I don't think there is any situation where you are allowed cross a stop line when your light is red - this is what happens turning onto cornmarket street. What's even worse cars also regularly cross a solid white line to overtake traffic stopped at the lights to make this illegal turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I don't think you'd be very successful in court!

The stop line is what's important, and it is set back from the radius of the corner. That means that you should encounter the stop line before you come to the junction.

Also, there is a painted marking on the approach to the lights, showing straight and right-turn movements. The purpose of the marking is to show drivers in advance which movements are permitted in the lane at the upcoming signalised junction.

But my argument is that the lights are not red for you if you are turning right, therefore the stop line does not apply to you. Just as it doesn't apply to you turning left in the situation I described earlier.

In other traffic news, someone took out the traffic lights at the corner of Merchants Quay.

I feel you are entering the junction by crossing the line, no? And entering the junction (to either proceed straight on or turn right) are controlled by the traffic lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 trackrunner

The stop line is before the turn onto cornmarket street so to make the turn you must cross the stop line and enter the junction - it's illegal to do this unless your light is green. To me it is pretty black and white but I understand where your view point comes from.

The line is close to the turn and this is what I think convinces drivers it is ok to make the turn - it's ok if you are only slightly breaking a rule of the road. It's the same mentality why a lot of drivers break red lights - the lights have just turned red so it is fine. And then they see other drivers doing the exact same thing so they validate that their decision to it is fine.

Advertisement