Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Go safe can at the tunnel still monitoring the 30 zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

they need to sort york hill out - its a disaster all cars now taking the illegallright . Constantly battle a car coming down aggressively to take the right turn down - also messing up Summer hill north traffic . Surely making traffic go down York street by Redzz needs to happen as you can go up Patrick's hill lower section now ... GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

hi

Where can i find an update map that shows the traffic flow in the city center now in 2023?

Yes .. I did google it to no avail. 😀

Took a walk on mccurtain street today cars still parking on the path i assume they got tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

I passed along the street today and several cars were parked on the footpaths. No sign of enforcement, but that’s not new.

Yet the wardens are very active around the city centre in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had words with someone driving on Patrick's Street yesterday. They appeared to be from Cork but were genuinely perplexed at my assertion that they were driving in a bus lane. They thought I was insane and making stuff up.

Meanwhile, people continue to illegally turn right onto Christie Ring bridge and speed through the pedestrian crossing on red lights at same junction.

Patrick's Quay seems to have become another popular weekend park entirely on the footpath spot.

Noticed that theres cameras on all sides of the junctions at Christie Ring bridge and Patrick's Bridge, now.

Hopefully they will be used for enforcement and not just surveys. (if that's legally possible)

Saw a guy drive up macurtain street from coliseum and turn left down bridge street,!!

• Advertisement

Apparently 100 parking tickets issued on McCurtain street since new layout was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I've seen them ticketing a lot of people over the last few weeks. People parked fully up on the footpaths arguing with them.

Lots on Patricks Quay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

Is the bus lane on Coburg St only at certain times?

A rake of cars using it on Sunday at around 1pm.

That is being completely ignored by people who think they can still go from Watercourse Road to MacCurtain street.

The bus lane on Devonshire street may as well not be there. It is ignored by all.

that bus lane makes no sense on Devonshire street to me .( I have yet to see a bus on it ) .. are you supposed to stay in right lane all time if you want to go left at the lights to get to opera house bridge ( coming from Richmond hill) and just filter left in near the lights from a lane thats signalled right only ? Madness ...

In addition they need to sort out the illegal right turn from york hill onto summer hill ( the FRESHLY painted Right arrow is not enough) ... doing my head in and loads of near misses from cars aggressively trying to filter in ..

RANT OVER !! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Is there any map of the changes anywhere?

I agree with what you are saying re Devonshire Street but the fact is that there is a bus lane there that is routinely ignored.

Then up the road on Coburg Street, that bus lane is regularly ignored which is a much more serious matter as cars shouldn't be going up that street at all.

Then at Christie Ring bridge, at every sequence of the lights, people illegally turn right onto the bridge.

Around the corner, the Patrick's Street restrictions are routinely ignored.

There seems to be a lawlessness around driving in the city where a huge amount of people run red lights, park wherever the fcuk they want and routinely ignore traffic restrictions - particularly any new ones. And it appears to be getting worse all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The answer is enforcement cameras.

Stick up a camera on the Patrick St. bus lane wand watch the problem disappear.

Stick another camera up watching Christy Ring bridge, and be amazed as that problem disappears too.

Lots of drivers have repeatedly demonstrated that they will continue to do whatever they want if there are no consequences. Camera would solve that.

There are cameras at Patrick's Bridge and Christie Ring bridge but I'm not sure if legislation is in place to use them for enforcement.

Of all the issues, the light breaking is the most endemic and the worst. Cars speeding through pedestrian crossings is a serious accident waiting to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The cameras there are the moment are the AGS CCTV cameras, I believe?

The enforcement cameras are different. They are more akin to speed cameras in that they are automatically watching for triggers (i.e. car going through a red light, bus lane etc.). When triggered, the image is automatically sent for processing.

You see them quite a bit in the UK. They are smaller than speed cameras, but also painted yellow so that drivers are visually aware that they are there.

• Advertisement

I believe there is legislative reasons why they aren't used here. Time to fix this.

So you can no longer take the left onto letirim street by garage and drive on to mccurtain street?

You can take that left and you can go up to Wellington road but you cannot, legally, go onto Coburg Street and then MacCurtain street , you have to loop around onto Devonshire Street, bringing you back to the N20 from where you came!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

IMHO the answer is in signage and education. BIG SIGNAGE.

Seems to me that very few people know what all these changes entail- how to get from point A to point B etc.

There was a big hullaballoo and party celebrating McCurtain Street being opened as two way but not a single map or infographic to explain the changes. How many people on this page have asked for a map explaining the changes ? The reason they're asking is because there's none readily available. Cork City Council Website has some maps of sorts but they're completely useless. They're actually the initial proposals from a number of years ago rather than an updated map of how traffic should be flowing.

The right turn from York Hill is getting a lot of attention but that's actually as a consequence of the rest of the traffic changes now forcing more cars up that way whilst the only way to get off Wellington Road is by going up to St Lukes or heading down towards Hardwick Street and doing a loop of God knows where. There's been no right turn off York Hill since at least 2006 when I started working up that direction but it's only now that it has become an issue.

It also seems to me that the only way people are finding out that Coburg St is bus lane only on to McCurtain Street is when they actually drive on to it. BIG SIMPLE SIGNS are needed. The lighted type where you only get to read one line out of four as you drive past as are useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Information first, then enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Just a rant. Was driving up towards wgh this evening on the dual carriage way. Roadworks just before the slip of wgh. Clearly marked with signs and cones indicating the right lane is closed. Just before the lane closure the car behind me suddenly overtakes me, forcing me into the hard shoulder before correcting their mistake. My BP took a while to come down. Furious 😠.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

You're being pretty naive if you think the majority of drivers care about what a sign says. Most will do what is convenient for them and what they think they can get away with. There are cars parked in loading bays and on double yellow lines all day long in the city and they know damn well that they're not supposed to, but they do it anyway because they know there's no consequence.

Multiple, highly visible signs doesn't prevent people turning right, illegally onto Christie Ring Bridge!

People don't even stop at red lights!

I don't think signage is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Signage (or the lack of) is a problem if people don't know that they're not supposed to turn right. The signage there is pitiful.

It's hard to complain about people doing something wrong if they don't know that they're doing wrong in the first place.

Don't get me wrong - it pisses me off as much as the next fella. I had one literally drive up to my drivers door t-bone style as I went around there early this week. From where I was looking he didn't have a clue that he wasn't supposed to turn there.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Loads of folk never look at signs, no matter how many or how large they are. The road markings are an absolute disgrace, difficult even for those of us living in Cork to see when it's dark, wet and raining, must be awkward for visitors and could easily lead to accidents. You would think we would use a better paint considering it's raining most days.

• Advertisement

I disagree. There are signs all along the quay displaying no right turn. What more do you expect? Should they have flown a huge sign over the junction?

No doubt in my mind that the vast majority of people taking that turn, know full well that it's illegal to do so.

I suppose it's the fault of the traffic lights that at almost every sequence of the lights, cars run red lights?

Advertisement