Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

You're just repeating stuff back at me now again, it's childish as I said.

But no, I engage with facts thoroughly- that's why I have the opinions I do. Think of it, your whole argument is based on the premise that Dublin's advantages in population, funding, playing at home make no difference- do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

And once again you're lying about how unfair advantages have been detailed for anyone except Dublin- no team other than Dublin has unfair advantages so they cannot be detailed. Please stop the incessant lying, it was kind of funny to begin with but is now just tiresome.

Dublin aren't cheating at all, where have I said that? It's not even Dublin's fault that the GAA is in this current predicament, it is the GAA's. Reforms to the GAA don't have to end with the splitting of Dublin but as it is clearly the most beneficial thing the GAA can do to help all counties, it should be done first. Any other reforms, without this being done first are doomed to failure. So splitting Dublin is a solution that would improve the game for all counties.

The Dublin wit is back out again! Brilliant stuff. It was really funny the first three times, and the fourth time will be a charm too!

A solution being untried doesn't mean it cannot be deployed by the way- otherwise nobody would ever try anything new. We know that the status quo is unfair, we know that Dublin alone are unfairly advantaged, we know that splitting them would disperse these advantages and help the GAA and all counties. So yes, while no county has been split before, the dire state of the GAA in 2024 means we need to take this measure for Dublin. Yes, I wish it didn't have to be done, it would have been better if the GAA had not let this unfair status quo develop. But they did, and we have to deal with it now.

Exactly, there is just a complete reluctance to deal with the issues. Ostriches with their heads in the sand come to mind. Just a complete denial in the fact of overwhelming evidence that Dublin alone are unfairly advantaged. I have said repeatedly that one of the benefits to a split of Dublin within Dublin would be that if Dublin divisional sides won All-Irelands, they would now come fairly, unlike at present. You can see the unfair titles do gnaw at the Dublin supporters, as they cannot take any pride in them. Which is why they come in here arguing vehemently that there was no unfairness at all, as that sense of guilt and empty feeling that comes from victories enabled by the GAA gnaws away at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The analogy with the DUP is a valid one, they argue for the traditional route knowing full well that it is wrong and that if the shoe was on the other foot that they would never accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

I assure you Dublin take plenty of pride in all the titles they’ve won. Plenty of pride because they were won fairly through hard work, dedication and sacrifice .

tell me though- you mention above about posters arguing vehemently that there was no unfairness at all. Isn’t that precisely what you’ve been doing when anyone raises your own team? Is it that you can’t take any pride in them? Does it gnaw away at you every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

Ah the mask is beginning to slip there gaffer, your true dislike of the Dubs is there to see getting personal with you now. Nothing about Dublins All Irelands gnaws with me and thousands of other Dubs only the fantasy in your head.

they’re just good!

That’s it? That’s the best the split Dublin brigade have to offer?

hundreds of pages of a thread at this stage . We’ve had dodging and weaving from various posters (not yourself to be fair) every time the hundred plus years of unfairness in how Gaelic football is run and how certain teams have over that time benefitted hugely and unfairly from that. We’ve had endless examples being dismissed without any reasonable counter arguments being made. We’ve had innovative proposals that would benefit all counties dismissed out of hand because they’re not “split Dublin”

and now the split Dublin camp rock up to finally explain why it’s ok that other counties would continue to benefit from the inherent unfairness of the current system post their Dublin split

and the reason is “they’re just good”

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Dublin "boosters are shameless in posting complete nonsense ? Your entitled to your opinion likewise so are Dublin posters entitled to there's , I think a few non Dublin posters are shameless in posting complete nonsense also ,What County are you from Charles ?

Undoubtedly there was hard work, dedication and sacrifice. Some incredible players too. It doesn't mean they came fairly though, so that's where the lack of pride comes from.

Any county outside of Dublin can take pride in their victories though. The issue with Dublin "supporters" (real supporters would want Dublin to be split but that's a separate conversation) coming on and arguing vehemently against Dublin having unfair advantages, day in, day out is this. If they had confidence, pride and security in their victories, they wouldn't feel the need to do that. It'd be water off a duck's back as the argument could just be dismissed. But instead they feel the need to engage on it incessantly, despite clearly and repeatedly losing the argument. It's quite odd.

I'll remind you that I am one of the few people in this discussion who is actually proposing measures to help Dublin! And none of the current sitation is Dublin's fault, so it's hard to get annoyed there. I am annoyed at the GAA though. Dublin fans should be too- missing the opportunity to feel the great sense of satisfaction that comes from winning a title fairly is just one of the reasons Dublin supporters should also be advocating for a split.

• Advertisement

You realise "they're just good!" is your argument. Let's ignore the population advantage. Let's ignore the funding from the GAA, the government and sponsors. Let's ignore playing all finals and semi-finals at home. It's ridiculous even on the face of it, which is probably why some Dublin supporters try to introduce countless irrelevant red herrings to try and divert the debate from its purpose of discussion (stated in the title i.e., "The dominance of Dublin GAA").

We are open to other proposals. While reform should start with splitting Dublin, as it is the single most beneficial thing the GAA can do to help all counties, it shouldn't end there. There are lots of areas of agreement- scrapping provincials, voluntary amalgamation, equalising funding etc. But without a split of Dublin, none of those measures will make much of an impact.

oh don’t worry about us, we’re doing just fine! Well satisfied with all the (many) fairly won titles over the past few years. Well proud of the teams who won them fairly on the pitch

You’re “ open to other proposals”. -Yet your not open to anything that might impact your own team’s advantages

strange that

or maybe not so strange looking at how you argue on this thread

Dublin has the population of a province, nobody else has. Deal with that first, and then look at any other possible changes also. Stop the whataboutery and propose a solution to this first.

Kerry have won a ridiculous 82 Munster titles and 38 All Ireland titles total domination , stop the anti Dublin nonsense and propose a solution to deal with all the problems in the GAA . What County are you from Charles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

"Stop the whataboutery," says the lad who brings the DUP into the tread. what part of the country are you from yourself?

Would it possibly be a County that would benefit from Dublin being split i wonder ?🙄

The Kerry poster hid this for years lol…….

Kerry does not need to be split, so who cares where he was from?

Please make an argument about how to deal with the issue without ad hominem comments about where other posters are from.

In your opinion Kerry does not need to be split , i disagree Kerry have totally dominated Munster for over a century , which has helped them win 38 All irelands with unfair advantages , please make an argument about how to deal with All the issues ,plenty of posters cared where he was from as it showed he wants Dublin split to help Kerry , i also care where your from as it would appear you have a hidden agenda /interest in splitting Dublin only , and have zero interest in helping the weaker Counties and indeed having a fairer system for all Counties .

Darragh O’Se , a legend of the game, lamenting the Munster championship over in the Irish Times this morning. That tallies with years of reports lamenting drops in attendance. Yet we have posters here telling us the Dubs should be filling Croker

That used to be a game that any Cork fan could at least dream about. Kerry have well and truly killed the Munster championship by this stage. Yet we have posters who won’t even countenance rotating Kerry and Dublin between Leinster and Munster

apparently everything’s grand apart from Dublin. The rest are “Just good”

• Advertisement

I am worried though. Think of the Dublin players- I want them to have them to have the option of winning an All-Ireland fairly. They can't achieve this dream without being split.

As I've shown numerous times- as no other team other than Dublin is unfairly advantaged, no proposal can impact any advantages, as they don't exist. But other reforms such as abolishing the provincials, voluntary amalagamations may help the competition as a whole. But only after Dublin are split. As Dublin's dominance from a platform of unfair advantages is the biggest issue facing the GAA, there is the most urgency to address it.

It's not actually relevant where he's from as arguments stand on their own merits. But in this case you already know the answer- yes, he is from a county that would benefit from Dublin being split, as all counties benefit! So if he is from Dublin or Leitrim or any one in between, he is from a county that benefits from Dublin being split.

Munster is still a fair competition though. While the results may be skewed, it is not because of unfair advantages of the likes Dublin enjoy in Leinster (population, funding, playing at home etc). So while provincials should be scrapped, it is not a patch on the issues in Leinster. It's also been far, far more competitive than Leinster over the last 10 years.

Another issue is that not splitting Dublin actually impacts all the other provincial competitions as well. The damage to the prestige, integrity and fairness of the competition that come from not splitting Dublin are reducing interest and participation in counties outside of Leinster as well, as ultimately all provincials feed into, and are part of the All-Ireland. So splitting Dublin would yield benefits in the other provincials too. It may be marginal at first but the gains will be larger over the years.

You are not being serious. Kerry is smaller in population than Cork or Limerick, no rational person could imply that they have a population advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

lads - regardless, this is just like a bunch of crazy old men shouting at the wind.

Nobody in the GAA is having any sort of conversation about splitting Dublin. It wont be done.

I'll exit at this point :-)

You are right in the sense that the momentum for a split is just not there at the moment. It was building in 2019-20, there was a lot of attention to Dublin's unfair advantages both in general discussions but also discussions on the Sunday Game, Prime Time etc. but it has died off for now. Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen though, for the good of the game.

Where did i imply that Kerry have a population advantage ? Oh and i am very serious , please stop being anti Dublin and make an argument how to solve all the issues thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Dont think it ever had momentum, and there is no way it can be said to be for 'the good of the game'. It can be for the good of attendances for a handful of championship matches.

My own view fwiw is that the All Ireland championships is a small part of what the GAA is about, the game is absolutely thriving at club level - far from the crisis that some punters would have us believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement