Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭mobby

Agreed. Couple of anti Dublin begrugers, need to get off the Internet for a while and get a bit of fresh air.way to much time on their hands. Anyway as they say on the dragons den... I am out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Very bitter anti Dublin crazy old men shouting at the wind 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭tritium

sure they’ve won a stack of them fairly already. Don’t you be worrying your head about them, I’m sure Stephen Cluxton, James McCarthy and Mick Fitzsimons all sleep very soundly with their record nine all Ireland medals, each one won fairly in spite of the bitterness of some rival fans. I suspect they sleep better than you actually as you toss and turn worrying about your counties place on the roll of honour and how to gerrymander success for Kerry.

but they’re just good right 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS there is a hell of a difference of Kerry people not travelling from Dingle, Kenmare, Tralee, Killarney to Croke Park in Dublin for a match and dubs not walking down the road to a match.

Munster is a fair competition?

haaaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaa

Kerry-84 Munster titles

Dublin -62 Leinster titles

And a long list of helping hands that have been given to Kerry to get to that point. A long list that you continue to ignore while spoofing that you’ve addressed them. Meanwhile the attendances at Munster championship games resemble a wake and you expect the Dubs to subsidise the apathy of your province by filling Croker.
    and you want to tell us Dublin is the problem. Pure fantasy. Get your own house in order first.

• Advertisement

is that why attendance are dying in the Munster championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am not being funny, I am deadly serious. If you truly want an equal game, then Kerry need to be split as well. Their unfair advantages have been in place for over 100 years.

Start with Kerry, see how it goes, and then we can split Dublin if it works. Kerry have won so many Munsters and All-Irelands that they won't mind missing out on a few, it should increase interest in Kerry because the divisional teams all have followings already. It would make the Munster Championship exciting.

This argument is going round in circles for years at this stage and at the same time the football championship is going down the toilet.

Firstly Dublin have an unfair advantage, which definitely wasn't helped by government funding, in that they have the playing population, the massive fanbase and they have the local financial clout in backing clubs and resources.

Added to that they have all their players and other resources like medical and rehabilitation in small geographic area which most other counties do not.

Frankly arguing that they don't have all these advantages is idiotic.

And yes the arguments Dubs make about other counties also have advantages over their neighbours holds true, but to a lesser extent.

Arguing that Mayo, Galway haven't advantages over Leitrim and Sligo is equally idiotic.

So unless we have splits and amalgamations then really the county model of championship is doomed as the gulfs between counties is growing year on year with Dublin being the most stark example of this.

And no counties wants to amalgamate no more than Dublin wants to split.

So what is the future?

I think ultimately the county model may be doomed and we have to resort somehow back to idea of club somehow.

The other thing that is now depressing is the state of the actual football game.

I tried to watch early part of Dublin-Meath and after a while it was just plain old boring.

Even Dublin with the calibre of forwards they have were trying to work the ball into positions where they couldn't miss.

Players of the past like Maurice Fitzgerald, Ciaran McDonald, Colm Corkery would probably be shot for taking on a long range efforts.

It is now keep ball and bloody boring.

Oh yeah I know some people who revel in analysing the tactics, but really who wants to watch 10 or 20 hand passes with the odd kick pass of 10 or 20 yards when the ball is out near the half way line.

I know this is a different argument, but the actual game needs serious review if people are to not tune out altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭laketreeroger

yeah and the never were arsed travelling. Shocking support until a semi or final

I don't know what game you were watching, but some of the football on display in the last two Dublin games - against Derry and Meath - was of the highest quality.

If you want to go back to the borefests of the 1980s and 1990s, off with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You stated that they should be split, so reducing their population. Why on earth would you suggest that given that you know they do not have a population advantage?

The solution is perfectly obvious, to anyone actually interested in a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I mean they can all say "Well, the unfairness isn't my fault, it is the GAA's". They can truthfully say that for sure. But they can't truthfull say "This was a fairly won medal". You'd have to ignore the population, funding, home pitch advantages etc if you were to say the second statement.

but they’re just good right 😉

As I've said, discrepancies in outcome does not mean there is an unfair playing field. No county in Munster has population advantages of the scale, nature, combination and duration that Dublin do.

Similarly Dublin not winning every year doesn't mean they weren't unfairly advantaged. For instance population was always an unfair advantage for Dublin even though they didn't win every year. But the advantages have become far worse over recent decades, particularly since the overfunding of Dublin alone started in the mid 2000s.

Attendances in Munster are proportionally far better than Leinster these days. And it is a much more competitive competition than Leinster nowadays too. But we agree the Provincials should go so probably not much to discuss here. I think you're trying to divert the debate away from Dublin again by introducing these irrelevant side issues. How do you propose dealing with Dublin's unfair advantages?

Another cracker! Keep the Dublin wit coming, we need some humour in this thread. I'm enjoying it.

Yes i stated Kerry should be split , for over a century of advantages , i never mentioned population ,the solution is to concentrate on all the problems in the GAA , Dublin Kerry and many more , this is perfectly obvious to anyone interested in a solution and not just to improve there own Counties chances by splitting Dublin .

The issue with other counties in funding, population etc. is that yes, there are discrepancies between other counties but they are so small compared to Dublin vs anyone else, that they are basically negligible for as long as Dublin are a single team. There's a population gap between Galway and Leitrim- but if we were to address that, it's also far more pressing to deal with Dublin first. Same for funding and any other unfair advantage that Dublin enjoy. Dublin have all these advantages in combination, plus the scale is off the charts vs every other county, plus the duration is now decades, even for funding alone. So disputing that Dublin are not uniquely unfairly advantaged just will not wash.

I do find it bizarre that some Dublin supporters cannot even admit that these are advantages, even if they don't agree with some of the measures being proposed. This thread was set up because every other thread involving Dublin GAA would eventually just become a discussion on Dublin's unfair advantages. What is strange is that even in this thread specifically to discuss Dublin's advantages, some Dublin supporters cannot even bring themselves to admit to them but will instead try to divert the thread to dozens of irrelevant topics. Rather than discuss the point of the thread i.e., "The dominance of Dublin GAA". As a neutral who wants to help the GAA in all counties, I just cannot understand that level of partisan bias. Even from a purely selfish point of view, do Dublin supporters really want the All-Ireland to go the way of the once great Leinster Championship? Where All-Ireland finals get maybe 20k people if lucky?

Maybe the county model is doomed. Maybe even splitting Dublin into four is too little, too late. But we should at least try it, if not for Dublin we would have an essentially fair competition. But perhaps a return to Club Football will be the way to go after that; we would not see the best 15 players in each county competing on the same team though in that case.

I agree football is far worse as a spectacle too- too much handpassing, diving, "safe" shots. No high fielding. Blanket defences being the norm for all the top teams, including Dublin despite what gormdubhgorm has falsely claimed. It's just not as good a sport anymore. Maybe along with a split of Dublin and some other reforms, and a few rule tweaks, we can get back to a decent sport, but it is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Derry match - Yes. But I was at the Dublin Meath match on Sunday. Doesn't get more borefest than that. I would have left early only for the kids and their friends were with me and they wanted to stay to see if there would be anymore large flocks of seagulls. I guess that says it all. There was no display of quality football. Both teams were dire in the first half. Dublin picked it up a bit in the second half to properly end the context. But nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Kerry have won one senior All Ireland in the last decade, as have Tyrone. This is normal and they are not a problem.

We want to split Dublin as it is unfair, and that includes people from counties that are not going to win All Irelands one way or the other.

Kerry have won a ridiculous 84 Munster titles and 38 All Ireland titles this is not normal , thankfully Dublin prevented them from winning another 3-4 in the last dacade , Kerry are a problem ,we want Kerry split as its unfair ,Dublin and Kerry are a problem along with many other problems that need sorting .

Post edited by dunnerc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Why are people on here comparing splitting Kerry, if Dublin is to be split. They are 2 completely different things. Kerry's success comes of them having a huge tradition of GAA football. I'm not from there, but I get the impression that you are almost an embarrassment to the family if you don't throw on the boots and take to the GAA fields. A real intensity that most other counties don't possess. And with that intensity and drive comes success. David Clifford is not a product from any systems or processes. I'm sure it is due to the fact that he was obsessed as a youngster, and a ball probably never left his hand. He developed through practice and love for the game. A lot of the Dublin players in particular are manufactured players. The likes of Lahiff, Bugler, Howard, Scully etc. are all athletic and will run all day and grind the opposition down. That athleticism has been made possible by the processes and facilities put in place from the millions given to Dublin GAA some time ago. Anybody who tries to deflect away from this is just being defensive at best, or highly disillusioned in reality.

What reasons are there to split Kerry.

Obviously, all of this splitting talk is irrelevant. It will never happen anyway. And shouldn't in my opinion. There has to be other ways. If approx €13m can be provided to Dublin, surely some funds can be attributed to the other counties.

How the hell did Bertie get away with it back then anyway? How were there no objections.

• Advertisement

Yep agreed the splitting talk is all irrelevant. Kerrys success comes from playing in a hurling province ,as for manufactured players i 100% disagree .

Kerry have won 84 Munster titles and 38 all Ireland titles. That’s not normal, that’s frankly ludicrous

saying they’ve only one in the last 10 years because for once there was a bigger badder wolf around doesn’t make it normal either (I suppose we can say Dublin were just good right?). How many did they win between 97 and 07? Was that normal? How many Munsters have they won in the last 10 years? Is that normal? From 1975 to 1986 they appeared in all bar 2 finals, was that normal?

oh yeah, Kerry were just good right?

you want to split Dublin because you want to get your own counties snout in the trough and it’s easier to try to Gerrymander it and blame everyone else if they’ve fallen short. If that wasn’t that case you’d be willing to engage on proposals that extend further than “split Dublin” to address the problems in the game. Just because yourself and other posters won’t admit it doesn’t make it any less transparent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'd say if Sean Bugler or Brian Howard were reading this they would have a right old laugh.

Moreover I'd say if any of their underage coaches were reading this, they'd have a bigger laugh.

They are product of local gaa clubs that have the same facilities as any club in Kerry would have, and coaches that gave up their time free of charge week after week, month after month, year after year in the same way as any coach in kerry would do.

You are banging on about Clifford as if he learned the game kicking ball in the back garden with his brothers.

Fossa GAA has a new clubhouse, has two pitches, one of which has floodlights.

By contrast, Howards club Raheny GAA doesnt even have its own pitch and is using a pitch in St Annes Park owned by the council.

There is no 'millions gone into it' story here. This is complete bull. You want it to be like this, to suit your narrative. But its not.

So did you go?

The attendances and viewing figures says it all these days.

If I wanted to watch incessant handpassing I might watch a basketball match.

And the fact that Dublin have some of the best forwards in the country only makes it worse.

Arguing that the 80s and 90s were borefest would have nothing to do with fact ye weren't winning All Irelands every other year now would it.🙄

Anyway I have better things to do than argue with people that can't seem to get an inkling as to how much trouble football currently is in.

Some people want Dublin split, some people want Kerry split. They are entitled to their opinions on the subject. The solution is to go with the county that already has divisional sides that have stadia and natural followings. The dominance of Munster by Kerry can be ended and it will give great cheer to Kerry locals to see their divisional teams which have been prevented from entering club provincial championships have a go at the county version. Wins all round for everyone. Those that want Dublin split can see how the Kerry experience works out over a decade and hope it supports their case.

I was there, yes, and I saw many exhibitions of excellent kick-passing from Dublin. It is a far cry from the throw-ball we saw in the late 1970s and 1980s when Kerry and the like used to throw the ball into the net.

Edit: Also the scoring rates in football are much higher now.

You do know it wasn't alone Kerry that played in the 70s and 80s.

The dubs were damn fooking good at throwing the ball into the net as well and contested most of those finals bar a few with Roscommon and Offaly.

You do appear to have a huge problem with Kerry though for some reason.

We could also look at the muck from the mid-2000s, take the 2003 All-Ireland final which Tyrone won by 0-12 to 0-9. Some awful football then too.

With Dublin playing attacking football the way they do now, a team needs to score more than 20 points to beat them. That alone makes for entertainment, without it going the way ping-pong hurling has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

After all these pages of arguments have we realized yet that the whole inter county competition nowadays is a completely unbalanced pile of shite?

Leinster and Munster football as well as the AI competition itself are no better than the SPL imo.

Oh but sure Derry won the league. The league is in no way near comparable to championship.

Dublin will likely win the AI again this year, Kerry may cause an upset. Derry winning would be great for a change, won’t happen imo.

3 counties have won 18 of the last 20 AIs?

Advertisement