Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 orb123

Not sure where you are getting this from. As I said, the #1 request nationally for IR's timetable consultation last year was for more frequent services on the Rosslare line, #21 was about increasing speed on the Rosslare line. Please refer to the link below.

The entire purpose of trialling a shuttle on weekends is to see how it works, and based on the results changes can be based to make it more convienient for passengers.Even if is technically possible to fit an enhanced frequency for the Rosslare train into the post DART+ schedule, it would have to follow a DART at 20mph or less. Is that an efficient use of resources? I don't think so.

Using shuttles is an easy way to address the #1 complaint that passengers have with the line. In the long term, perhaps there could be improvements south of Greystones to make the change time-neutral.

I understand your concerns, but lets base our arguments on factual information rather than emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there was only 217 on 1 day in 2019, irrelevant ultimately.

the fact is the trains from rosslare are beyond full from very far down the line and all trains at that.

that's the fact from a regular user.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just because more people asked for additional services than asked for quicker services, you seem to be extrapolating that people would be happier with more services even if they were noticeably slower. It may or may not be true, but is definitely not something that can be safely read from that data.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The rail census figures are the figures everything is based on. It is selected to be a perfectly representative day. If there is significant disruption, they re do it to get accurate figures.

The chances that there was an odd occurrence that caused a lines passenger numbers to collapse on that day is nil (there is a chance of a random occurrence causing them to be higher, e.g. a school trip). The figures are valid.

The idea that said magic occurrence would happen on every rail census day, ever year, resulting in permanently low figures is laughable.

not at all, as a user of the line for nearly 40 years i can say he is correct with absolute certainty.

you have to be a regular user to be aware of IE'S game and thinking in terms of the line and it's passengers.

• Advertisement

it's not a sleepy rural anything, it's a long distance regional main line serving sizable towns and it has multiples of 500 passengers, more like multiple thousand now with full trains on the line all of the time.
    sligo is not a city either but its ultimately irrelevant as in ireland the regional product is to almost intercity standards so as to attract patronage.
    absolutely laughable that your answer to lx's legitimate points is so what, anyone who was serious about public transport would not hold the contempt you have for rail passengers.
    so desperate to have this discredited idea implemented which you will never use, on people who don't want it, that you will show the ultimate contempt for them while claiming to be a public transport advocate.
    yet dispite the buses being everything you state, rail is still being used and growing, funny that, it's almost as if the buses can't offer rail users what they are looking for, or at least at the time they are using the train, so your so what about killing off rail services is even more of a joke as you want them to then use a method of public transport they don't completely want to use just to get your way.
    a more frequent rail service that runs direct will lead to more passengers yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

You’re comparing apples and oranges. People transferring at Limerick Junction are switching to an ICR for the majority of their journey. They will get a proper seat, there will be space for their bags and even a bike if they have one. There might even be catering at some stage in the future. There will be a toilet. People transferring at Wicklow in future will be moving to a Dart which has none of those things. That’s not a very attractive proposition.

It’s also not the same as someone transferring to a Luas at Heuston because that will hopefully be a short trip and because there’s no ICR to their destination today so their journey isn’t being downgraded.

This is an engineering solution to a political investment problem. It might be the best solution for Dublin and it might be an acceptance solution for some people but it’s not a good solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the increase to 20 minutes needs infrastructure works between Bray and Greystones to allow trains to pass going in opposite directions. Originally the plan was to double the line between Greystones and Bray Head but it's now rumoured they'll only be doubling a short section just before the tunnels.

Currently there's a 30 minute frequency but there's an extra slot in each direction each hour available for Commuter/Intercity trains as 2 trains can use the line in the same direction on after the other provided they're with 10 or 15 minutes of each other

e.g.

12:00: Dart Bray→Greystones

12:15: Intercity Bray→Greystones

12:30 Dart Greystones→Bray

IDK if they're planning a higher frequency from Bray, but from Dun Laoghaire seems possible if they run some of the new Drogheda darts to there. There was a document with suggested service patterns in it released early in the Dart+ process but I can't find a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭loco_scolo

Very simple fix to the toilet issue. They can add a sentence to the "this will be the final stop" announcement.... "If you need to take a leak, do it now."

God forbid people couldn't learn to use the toilet on the first 1.5hr part of the journey.

Talking about facts and hyperbole, while also claiming, with absolute certainty, that the real aim of Irish Rail is to "kill off services to wexford altogether".

Christ Almighty!!

• Advertisement

as i said to you before, this is even more nonsensical then simply turfing them off at wherever and letting them get the all stops which is nonsensical as it is.
    so you turf them off on to a dart that just does a couple of stops and the diesel will still run empty to connolly as there is not going to be a depot or servicing facilities built to serve them somewhere on the rosslare line.
    and before you bring it up, they could deliver a direct train to wexford tomorrow if they wanted to but not only is the stock not currently available or drivers but they don't and never will want to unless it is forced upon them to do it like the original increases in frequency from 3 trains a day back in 2004.

there is not going to be services to dublin from wexford or towns north via the south wexford line.

lets just put that to bed.

Sure Waterford is the real capital of the South East. Reinstating direct Wexford-Waterford services will be a great asset to Wexford. South Wexford line for the win.

not only is it not a reasonable compromise but it's not a compromise at all.
    the journey time would be quite substantially effected by this, not to mention that even if it was the case that rosslare line passengers were all able to get a seat, it means those previously able to get a seat up the line will not be able to do so.
    ultimately, it provides a worse service over all for all but tries to make it look like a better service will be provided, essentially it's a shifting of the deck chairs to replace crap deck chairs for some with broken deck chairs.

the line from bray to connolly is not as constrained as being made out, there are some constraints but with future signalling and the fact they are running a 10 minute frequency and direct rosslare services, dispite many of us fearing that 10 minutes wouldn't be possible with the current infrastructure, it is clear that there is capacity for all with increased frequencies possible for all with more darts and more direct rosslare services.

bray to greystones is a bit of an issue but that is going to have to be addressed regardless, there is no getting out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Only Belfast out of those three is a city. The InterCity label should really only apply to Belfast, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If I owned the crayons for this line, I would

• Triple/Quad track the Merrion Gates to Dun Laoighaire section (and perhaps raise it a bit, "just in case")
    • Double/Triple the Shankill to Bray and onwards to the Cliffs section
    • Double/Triple the Cliffs section to Greystone Section

But maybe it's good that I don't own the crayons…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's not in the AIRR so definitely a crayon suggestion but it's only 40km from Enniscorthy to Carlow via Bunclody through open fairly flat countryside, if they really wanted to divert the Wexford service into Heuston.

Macmine Junction line reopening would keep some of the people objecting on railfan bases quite happy.

we already know a shuttle will fail, it offers nothing worth bothering with, just no point in wasting time trialling something we know will fail.
    i've been a user of the line for nearly 40 years so i am well aware of it's issues and what it actually needs doing to deal with them, and this plan is not that.
    direct services are absolutely an efficient use of resources as they provide people with a comfortable direct service and it means no empty running otherwise known as ECS moves which would be happening with this idea due to the reasons i explained in previous posts.
    you will never make the change time neutral because it's impossible unless everyone engages in a ridiculously fast stampede across to the other train and one wants people crushed, personally that's not what i want.
    i'm basing my arguments on actual facts and actual realities as well as my nearly 40 years of knowledge of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It's all purely down to the mechanics of the line and the constraints caused by the level of services running along it and the associated speed requirements.

Because of the DART running every 10 minutes north of Bray and being a full stopping service, it is impossible to get a gap for an Intercity service to run as a higher speed express all the way to Dublin city. Hence the suggestion to curtail the service to Greystones, removing the hour-long stretch to Dublin; which means that in exchange for a change of train, the section from Greystones to Rosslare get a more frequent service using the same amount of rolling stock and staffing.

It's a similar situation that might have to happen with the Sligo services when we get to DART West. Currently with the Maynooth line only being a half-hourly service off-peak, there is sufficient room for the Intercity trains to run express from Connolly in only 30 minutes, as opposed to the 45 minutes of the Commuter services. But when the service frequency increases in the peak (both on the Maynooth line, and the M3 branch direct to/from Docklands), the Intercity has to slow to make room — taking 40 minutes to traverse Maynooth–Connolly. This will only get worse once the line becomes DART and service frequency increases even more.

AIRR has a proposed chord line to dump Sligo services in to Heuston

well why should they if they don't necessarily need to go at that point but may do so a bit later, all to suit a discredited plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

Mad stuff: last time I was in Bunclody it was quite hilly.

i agree, i support it's reopening.

but i really don't believe there will be dublin services via that route.

it more or less does, the technical term for the others is regional.

but for the most part both overlap in terms of service quality, at least in terms of onboard environment.

there will be differences though such as cork and belfast having a little bit more aspects to the service quality.

lx's point still stands though whichever terms you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

God, some of the responses here, it sounds a bit like Ryan Tubridy before the oireachtas committee. All we’re missing is a comment about how the poor misfortunate children of Wicklow and Wexford will be forced to change trains. How will they manage it? Think of the children!

the suggestion to curtail the rosslare services at greystones is not about dart or about improving things.
    the reality is a direct service even if slow is going to be a vast improvement over turfing people off at wicklow or greystones onto a suburban service with increased journey times.
    once dart+ happens there will be plenty of rolling stock to operate an increased frequency, trying to operate it with the current rolling stock and staff is unworkable even with turfing everyone off at greystones because the capacity to support the lines usership is currently not enough anyway.
    ultimately, it will only be direct services from sligo and rosslare and belfast etc that will be happening, because the politicians in sligo will insure it and we have enough power down here now between campaign groups and local politicians to insure it.
    the only reason for this nonsense is the NTA'S want to simply kill off rail outside parts of the GDA for their own political reasons whatever they are, which is very obvious hence why coming up with dum sollutions rather then getting real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

The bigger issue, I foresee, is southbound passengers having to wait in a windswept Greystones train station with little to no facilities for up to an hour for their next train.

• Advertisement

This is a very legitimate concern. IR have made clear, the proposal has not been decided. It's early stage of scoping.

One would have to assume that proper facilities would be installed at whichever station might serve as a terminus. Absolutely a non runner if those services are not put in place prior to any change.

Advertisement