Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume if most bottles and cans now go into the recycling machines , the green bin companies will stop sorting yiur green bin for aluminium cans and PET bottles , because theres no point ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yeah its an interesting discussion, and i love large scale things like this (and hypotheticals). But ultimately it would only make re-turn increase the deposit on recyclables. Further punishing people for not meeting their goals. We must keep in mind why this scheme even exists to begin with. And thus gave birth to us being charged with a deposit in the first place.

Giving re-turn lots of money from deposits in exchange for them not meeting their targets is still a win for them with the money gained, which they could then keep or build a recycling plant or do whatever with. They would see the large gain of money as a monetary success. They succeed if they reach money goals, OR if they reach target recycling stat percentage number goals.

i'm not proposing anything myself/anyone to drive miles to collect anything. was just throwing the idea out there, as it is a good idea for anyone that does'nt have to travel much distance, as well as something that helps those who rely on getting stuff delivered. it seems only fair for others stuck indoors to atleast have some alternative that results in getting a cut of the action and not being stuck with cans and bottles.

Honestly i'm not trying to sort the problem for the schemes sake of things as i couldnt care less if re-turn reach their target goals or not. i just want more power to the people and for some fairness to be done, while at the same time someone somewhere being able to earn a little bit of extra money from it, as well as the person stuck at home being able to get a little something back for their cans/bottles.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What are the ground rules in this election prediction game ?

If you are going to claim every vote for non government candidates as a success for your "campaign" I might as well give up now.

To make it interesting what percentage of voters do you expect to base their voting preference on whether they approve of Re-turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I used it for the first two a few days ago.

Was surprised at how fast the machine actually was and that you can just shove the bottles/cans in as fast as you can / want. Relatively painless but annoying nonetheless, I probably recycled 99% of my cans/bottles up to now in my blue bin anyway. Oh well.

• Advertisement

The thing is they never did sort our green bin for cans and bottles to begin with, instead they just sold off recyclables to other countries to sort through, or else incinerated the rest and dump in landfill. This is really what got us into this re-turn mess to begin with (recycle bin companies not actually recycling any of our stuff at all, and then ireland having no proper recycling stats to show the EU when questioned about it and caught with our pants down) and thus re-turn and the drs scheme in ireland was born

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

I haven't put any money in a trolley in a long time.

I have Santa Bear Appeal Central Remedial Clinic keyring coins on my keyring that unlock the trolleys and come right back out straight away, leaving the trolley usable with out coins.

I return trolley to trolley site, but don't always lock it back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Economies of scale will probably dictate that it would be no longer profitable.

Also they will lose their subsidy. Net effect of that is everyone's costs will go up.

Probably cheaper and more environmental to replace your "green bin" with a black burning barrel at this stage.

Cut out the theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Would installing home mini-incinerators work out better in the long run? I mean proper ones, High heat with Filters etc.

Save on Bins and bin collections, Bins companies trucks, driving the Recycle centres wasting our time

And the heat could be returned into the house or heat the water??

aww why not? i would appreciate it if you kept your cans in good condition and send them to me with anpost via registered express delivery and insured, so that way i can recycle them for you at no additional cost. Rather than crushing them.

But i'll be keeping the deposits for all my trouble.

i'll even sign the package "boards bottler" when it arrives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

Had a quick look at the Australian RVM scheme.

https://www.returnit.com.au/faq/

Some highlights:

Once registered, you can use your mobile phone as your identifier at any Return-It refund point to have your refund transferred direct into your bank account.

Crushed or damaged containers, will receive the full deposit fee refund, as long as they are eligible for return under the container deposit scheme

Return-It has three options for returning containers: Depots, Reverse Vending Machines (RVMs), and Small format refund points such as over-the-counter solutions. Depots accommodate all quantities of containers and provide instant cash refunds.

Choose the charity you want to support at the touch screen console in a Return-It Express Stand or a Return-It Depot location. Simply follow the prompts on the console to direct your refund to the charity of your choice.

Label each bag with your personal barcode so that the depot can accurately count the containers and issue your electronic refund.

Just shows what a shambles our gombeens have made of Re-Turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine go in the black bin now, they used to go in the green bin. I tried to comply with the scheme but 75% of the bag of cans I brought were rejected by barcode. I'll give it a try again in a few months but for now they can go fook themselves with their extra tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

The missus bought a few cans over the weekend and she was charged the extra tax on em but cans had no Return symbol on em. She said it to the cashier and the was told ah yeah not to worry theyll be accepted anyway. This true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

They don't need the logo to be accepted as returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

When this was just about to launch the guy in charge of re-turn said that it wasn't going to be bring it in and stop - but that it was the start of a larger process.

On that basis, what should come next? What changes should happen to make the scheme better for consumers/etc? The big one I see is not getting a voucher, but getting the money into your bank or into an app or whatever. Having an app with a map of RVMs and their state (i.e. are they working/full etc) would be useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It may be true. The barcode is key not the logo.

If you put the barcode in here it will give you an idea on whether it will be accepted:

https://re-turn.shanehastings.ie/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny I was in sydney last summer, didn't notice one machine. although it does seem more thoughtvthrough than ours which is a blatent attempt to get you into the shop at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

this one also good: https://re-turn.ie/consumer/#barcodeChecker activates camera on phone pretty quick

I hate the idea of a paper voucher, but if they insist on it then vouchers it should be opened to be redeemed at company level at least. This idea of it having to be redeemed at the shop you got the voucher from is stone age stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

But theres still no guarantee they will be accepted. It's still hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I know tesco vouchers work in all tesco stores. Do other stores not go across all branches?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,864 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Took some stuff to the shops. God what a grinding PITA this nonsense is. I'm actually eager for the incumbent party canvasers to darken my door step prior the next election, so I can vent my displeasure on not just this, but the rest of the enviro green crap.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Outside of Tesco, only Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl of the main supermarkets are in a position where they actually run all their own stores; and as far as I know none of them have said the vouchers work in all stores.

Everything else is franchised to a greater or lesser extent. Local Centra has a machine, he has only the one shop. Local Supervalu has a machine, I believe the owners there have four shops. Various M&S's have them but there are M&S stores operated by M&S, Applegreen and SSP. Various service stations have them and are often solo store owner setups despite having a shared brand - most big Circle K stores are owned by Circle K but there's exceptions to that too.

Aldi's say 'This receipt can only be redeemed at' and then the address of the shop you got the voucher from. That's what I mean, the system needs to be standardised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Perhaps just me - but there was something personally degrading about walking into a shopping centre of families and people on a bank-holiday buzz with a bag full of empty bottles/cans from the weekend waiting to put them into the 1 machine that wasn’t out of order, to claim my couple of euro back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Likely been answered already. But I tried returning some cans and bottles yesterday at Aldi Belgard. Some independent beers not accepted, grand. Don't recall if I was charged deposit. Likely not.

However, I got credit back and it has on the receipt only redeemable in this store. Why can the deposits not be used in each store: Aldi voucher, in all their stores. Dunnes, all their stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Declan05

Picked up nine 33cl empties in the local park yesterday, left behind by some Paddy's day revellers the day before. Got E1.35 on my way back in the local supermarket. Previously, I would have been saddened by the sight of discarded empties in the park but just walked on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Complete farce. Went up to our local machine for the 3rd time now yesterday only for it to be out of service the last 2 times. The first time it didn't accept half of my empties. Just came home and put them into the green bin im not arsed anymore i've better things to be doing.

Advertisement