Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But why I wonder has littering got worse. I would have thought it'd stay much the same, except that no one would be bothered to collect as stuff damaged, not worth the bother.

Leaving civic minded citizens as previous, to pick up and put in the recycle bins they already pay for and which will rise in cost.... grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i definitely think it has gotten worse, not just because of the usual people being careless and leaving trash around as they normally would, but ALSO because some people who never did it before are now leaving undamaged cans and bottles around the place and feeling like they're doing good for the environment or rightous as they've paid a deposit and thinking someone else is gonna redeem it. What many fail to realize is that the elements and the usual traffic and what not can easily damage those cans/bottles, rendering them useless. its just adding more waste, with the potential of it then becoming useless waste if it gets damaged.

And don't get me started about it being windy lol, these cans pose a threat to drivers, and a danger to any kids running down the street to get can they see blowing down the road. Almost seen someone get knocked down chasing a can. It's not worth risking ones life for 15 cents.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I cannot imagine a scenario where somebody who previously never littered is now littering because the deposit means somebody is going to pick them up for them.

they don't do it because they know someone is going to pick it up for them.

the person picking it up is obviously doing it for the money, or less likely for the environment. As for the person newly littering, they feel allowed as they have paid their deposit, and its somehow meant to justify it or make it okay as they paid upfront for it.

The ceo saying people can just come and pick it up does'nt really help either. it would be better to stop littering rather than telling people to go pick up other peoples litter from the road for the off chance they could make money from reclaiming the deposit on it.

it counters the whole purpose of "don't throw away what we want to recycle because you're throwing away money" thing, defeating it entirely with "ahh sure, throw it away. it'll be grand as someone else will/might pick it up anyway so its all good. we we dont care because we win either way, infact if no one claims the deposit thats more money in our pocket and less in the publics pocket."

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SteM

Out in tesco in Greystones this morning doing some shopping for mum and the 3 machines were all out of order and some very annoyed looking blokes staring at them. Thought one of the lads was @BoardsBottler, he had a black sack full of cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the machines out of order shop should be obliged to take manuals as iirc is the case in some other countries. And we are lectured we just copied what worked elsewhere...

Only way the shops will sort it quick is if the hassle rebounds on them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I can see where those people and yourself are coming from.

It's a logical reaction to a deposit.

If you tell someone they will get the deposit back by returning they instinctively do so and retrieve the money.

Look at supermarket trollies, you don't see many lying around with a euro in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

That's just bad UX and design. You're not going to change how people will behave around a machine. If they aren't capable of dealing with how people are loading bottles, it's a poor design.

I found it got a bit fussy with one can and had to load it several times. No idea why.

Also, depending on your height / eyesight etc you're not going necessarily see in. Most people aren't that focused on the screen, they'll be looking at the slot.

I'd also worry a little that someone's going to shove their hand into the mechanism to unclog it.

I have voted in every election since I turned 18.

I have a fairly good idea of how the electoral system works.

In my opinion not voting for a particular party because of a policy they espouse and voting for another party that supports the same policy isn't voting for change.

They are a one time code. I thought I hadn't scanned on on a SuperValu self checkout and it said 'this voucher has already been used.'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wouldn't it have been great if there were a recycle bin and a regular bin in the cinema, as would be the solution to a lot of 'on the go' litter issues without the need to being in the environmentally unfriendly DRS scheme.

Cinemas, cafes etc etc are all exempt and most of them don't seem to provide any recycle bins. I know though people are also muppets and will put normal rubbish into recycling bins when they are there because they are just too lazy to even look - you end up with a sticky mess and it's some poor unfortunate's job to clean it out - then add difficulty recruiting staff and it's just not going to happen.

I hate to say it, but despite all the talk here, most people do not give a flying feck about the environment in reality. They will just go on big rants about the government etc etc, they'll turn up for climate change political stuff, and then won't interact with simple things like segregated waste bins. I mean, look at the utter garbage pile left at most festivals, on beaches etc etc. There's a significant % of the public who simply do not give a damn.

Take something simple: If you go to let's say France, Germany, the Netherlands etc, if you go to some take away place with trays, people will typically clear their own tables into the bins provided. Irish people very frequently just walk away expecting the butler to do it. I had an utterly cringe experience in the Netherlands with a group of students who did that and got themselves lectured by a random customer.

Also our plastic use is WAY higher than most EU countries on a per capita basis, and I have yet to see any explanation as to why this is the case. We are clearly doing something unusual.

There is a cultural thing here about being unable to control litter etc etc too. I think we need to tackle some rather more fundamental things than just rolling out complex German inspired recycling systems.

I don't think this RVM scheme will have all that much impact as it's a bit of a pain in the rear to use for a lot of people.

Dropping back a supermarket trolly is a far simpler proposition than this farce however.....and I would argue isn't comparable to this DRS scheme in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭TheChizler

All supermarkets have their own system so it might be location dependent

My question is why are we consuming 64 kilograms (kg) per capita of single use plastics, vs an EU average of 34kg. There's something seriously up with that.

I don't disagree, there is an underlying issue there. However the provision of recycle bins in public spaces is at least one thing that could be improved upon, if only to give people an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

I was in a small chain of off-licences last week and I noticed they had a small, ticket machine sized Re-turn machine. Maybe they were just slightly above the square footage required for an exemption, but it was good to see.

Looking at the Tomra website too, you see they offer the large chute-style RVMs. I don't know why we've gone with the exclusively one-by-one RVMs. Oh well.

All I can tell you is knowing people who've managed food services places that have tried this they ended up with a recycle bin load of remnants to takeaways, tissues, food waste, even a nappy in one case.

They tried better placement, improved signage etc and it made absolutely no difference. The bins would just get used at random. They tried asking a staff member to politely mention it to people and that ended up in their being told to f**k off and threatened. It just ended up being a hiding to nothing and they gave up.

I mean, quite seriously a good 25% of the population seem to just assume there's a butler there to clean up after them.

It is something we need to more about and it is shameful that it's a problem.

I remember even as a teenager having to go around and clean our housing estate with the 'litter wardens' and it was in a fairly nice area, but you'd find cans, bottles, crisp packets, all sorts of crap stuck in flowerbeds and hedges. It's really shocking how little people care.

I put a skip outside and one of my neighbours filled it with the contents of their house clean out a couple of years ago and we encountered a middle aged woman throwing her garden waste over someone's back wall ffs! Literally pulled up in a SUV, parked on a grass margin and flung the contents of about 3 black bags of grass clippings over a hedge!

So, yeah ... I'm just VERY sceptical about the great Irish public's willingness to use a convoluted deposit return scheme.

Simpler yes but basically the same principle.

You return and get your money back.

Take a weekly shopper using €1 worth of refunds.

If they don't bring them back they lose €52 per year.

Is it believable that people will do that in the long term ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Has anyone done manual returns, and how does it work. Are cans/bottles added up manually, or are they still scanned and still prone to rejection even though they carry the logo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I suppose that would kinda explain it alright - paying the deposit is a licence to litter kinda idea. Wouldn't be the first thought in my head but can see why some might think that. Sure they'll be able to hire a few extra council staff to clean up using my deposits etc etc

So have I voted down the years and it's generally a good idea I find to punish parties for what they do, more so than what they spout on about. Same in life, judge by what people do and not what they say. That's what the electorate does. And in the upcoming locals we'll have the opportunity.

As for comparison between shopping trolleys and cans, that's scraping the barrel for god's sake.

aldi seems to have staff on hand that actually know about how to fix the machines, a regular staff trained to also handle the machine it seems. But many of the other places i've seen that if the machines break down, they're left waiting on "someone being sent out to fix it" lark, which can be anywhere from 3 days to over a week. Every so often someone might just come out from the back with a long brush thing, poke the inside of the machine and slam the side of it, and bobs your uncle if lucky.

The whole "we copied elsewhere" lecture that alot of people like to give in favor and support of scheme seems to overlook alot of things, one of them being that we only copied the minimum barebones basic idea's of the scheme in other countries and not the whole entire thing. i'm not sure how people can think we can copy some other country's scheme and then somehow magically gain the same success as they did, without us actually putting in the same amount of effort. it's beyond me.

All stores with an RVM in my opinion should be lectured on the scheme, and how it works, and have atleast 2 workers mandatory that know how to fix the machine if any problems arise. None of this "out-of-order" or "machine is down, waiting for someone to come out to fix it" lark. Workers should also be thought how to minus the deposit voucher off of ones shopping if they choose to have it taken off their shopping instead of insisting customers to take cash and then use that cash. Also the cashier's should be informed that people have a choice of getting cash and not a scenerio arising where they're told they can only spend the money instore like what happened me a week ago lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Woodcutting

Well I wouldn't buy the products and not claim the refund. Just won't buy them.

i do all the time, nice little earner. 1 euro for a 1-2 minute job while i'm already passing by them anyway. never in the likes of aldi or lidl trollies (maybe twice in my entire life). But always dunnes and tescos trollies i see left around with a euro in them, especially on days where its raining or when the person parks in a spot that is inconvenienced by no nearby trolly return places. if i'm feeling adventurous its usually a race between myself and the store's own designated trolly person to see who can get to trolly first.

i gotta admit quite often though its a 20 cent coin in the trolley, or worse, nothing lmao! i also have a collection of like 50 or so trolley coins.

I tried it a couple of times and found a can would not be accepted so put it back in bag and tried again when the bag was almost empty and it did scan.

for any person that struggles to collect enough cans/bottles, the trollies thing is faster money. a trolley with a euro in it is the equivalent of returning x7 cans to an RVM. Sometimes a trolley may not have a coin inside of it, or something like a 20 cent so it can be a bit of a gamble. but so can finding a bottle/can in the street undamged, only to turn it over and discover there's no return logo on it.

Fortunately for the latter, by june 1st all cans and bottles apparently will have the return logo. still though both of these things require people to act like vulture's of not already bringing their own things back.

I found the worst part controlling the urge to crush

exactly, a boycott like some are already doing. others are still choosing to buy them and feeling the sting of the deposit but recycling them in the green bin. Some are even talking about going up to the north instead so they can get the cans, and cheaper too, and without any deposit.

to each their own. i'm against the scheme, but not against making money from it. The average person bringing back their own item's isnt gonna make money off of it unfortunately as they're just getting back their own money they paid on purchase.

seems to be worse than that as a local Aldi store issues a docket that says it can only be redeemed in that particular Aldi store"

Dunnes too I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The reciept that I got the one time I got one, was regular receipt paper. Didn't appear to be anything special about it all.

So far i've seen some red word beginning with F at the back of the deposit vouchers, or else an RVM watermark but more solid and faint rather than transparent.

Yeah, it says "This system is no F***ing use".

Advertisement