Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hah.. hah.. it's free money for Minister Smyth and his quango buddies!! Suckers paying out all those deposits, money for old rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Come back to earth, nothing to do with flying machines 🙂

We are talking about how consumers react to deposits.

If you don't like the trolley analogy what about barbecue gas.

Do you bring the empty back or pay a new deposit when you need a full one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Don't be ridiculous - how many shopping trollies do you fit in your car? You're comparing completely different things used in completely different ways.

You just wait till the public get hold of local councillors, hopeful councillors and all their canvassers. Burn their ears and punish those who brought in this scheme. I'm long enough in the tooth to remember the previous time the Greens got in and my mild mannered mother in law fuming at the banning of light bulbs, closure of bedsits and so on. It's these sort of policies that annoy the public and they stay annoyed for quite a while.

Yes, that’s true, we use mineral water a lot less than most European countries. Some countries like Italy have a love of sparking mineral water (like I do) and that doesn’t come out of the tap. Some areas, like the south of Spain, need a relatively larger amount of chlorine to make water safe to consume unboiled. Seville region takes its water supply from the Guadalquiver river, sheep can be seen grazing on the banks near Córdoba. The water tastes & smells horrible, even brushing your teeth would bleach them. I used to have Ulcerative Colitis and any time I consumed heavily chlorinated water in these parts it altered my gut flora (killed all the good flora) so much I would get an immense flare-up of internal bleeding etc. A colleague of mine with same condition ended up in hospital from consuming heavily chlorinated tap water. So it’s understandable that in this day some people in certain areas rely on mineral water.

In the not-too-distant past (when I was in my teens & twenties and in some parts much much later) you simply could not drink the tap water in many European countries. I’ll sum it up nicely here: brought my mother to Gran Canaria about 1998, bottled water essential then,

I visited Czechia/Slovakia in 1996, big warnings that tap water had heavy faecal contamination. Do not drink, do not even accept juice for breakfast unless you were in need of a strong laxative as they had a habit of adding contaminated tap water. Was warned about tap water in Poland, not alone faecal contamination but poisonous metals too. Had been to Russia and Ukraine in 1979, turned just 18 and mildly foolish, drank the water and that triggered off my lifelong colitis, although that would have happened anyway. But everyone who consumed any amount of that water suffered from giardiasis “pea soup” gastroenteritis for weeks after.

Thankfully pretty much every European country has safe water now, and in many instances other countries have a lot less boil notices than parts of rural Ireland.

It was fun! I still hold someone up to that challenge though!!! Next time clean off the dust! I want to see REAL hacking the machines! Maybe a full blown video!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just to clarify.. as it was me who did the "experiment"

The cardboard was from a Coke box.

It was the exact dimensions and weight of a coke can. 15 g... with a printed barcode label.

The RVM had no problem accepting.

P.s .. I didn't cash in the 15 cents and don't intent to.

You who is threatening to throw away money calling me ridiculous !

Fact is most people react to deposits by doing their best to get them back.

Have fun ranting at candidates but it won't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Man, I miss just putting cans into a recycling bin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

Councillors have no power over anything important. The big stuff is handled by council executive. Councillors have a list of goodies like pot holes and benches. This is what they use to get re-elected. If they started crying about anything that hits the council in the pocket in any meaningful way (e.g. properly tackling litter due to Re-Turn turning out to be a balls) theyd get their lists shoved up their hoops and its bye bye votes. Not to mention no more handy committee appointments for extra cash.

Im not sure what the most effective protest of Re-Turn is. I dont mind losing deposits in the short term if it helps force a rethink of this bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

give that 15 cent deposit voucher to me, i will hold onto it for safe keeping...... by giving it to a staff member to place in the till.

how come other machines don't accept them? it musta been a really bad machine, or bad shape recognition if true.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

losing deposits actually funds them more. they get 15c per deposit on can and bottle, and 25 cent per deposit on larger bottles. When you reclaim a deposit they have to give it back to the store that gave it back to you. scrap recycling rates for bottles is close to nothing, and cans are like around 2 cent. i'd rather them gain nothing to 2 cent for the raw material, rather than 15-25 cent for the deposit.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Point is that if enough people don’t return their bottles the government will see that it doesn’t work?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

The money thrown away is so minimal that I’ve just incorporated it into my expenses, definitely nowhere near enough to make me keep a dozen of bottles, and bring them back for what? 2 or 3 euro refund? I don’t have the space to keep uncrushed bottles, and definitely don’t have the time to bring them back to the shop. Let’s remember that we are now asked to keep plastic bottles/cans as well as glass bottles/jars and bring them all back to separate places. This is while paying over 40e a month for waste/recycling collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No no no

The green thing is to have us all now making added journeys to carry our bottles around.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,758 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is the machine reading, the number on the barcode, or the barcode itself .?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

But carbon such n such. Hike carbon taxes to deter people recycling. Briandead muppets oh no wait its clever ponzi scheme. Educate our young to think this is normal and pay more to exist. It's actually genius

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Got some shopping done today and in my order included

24 x 500ml water bottles but i ordered 12 1ltr and now charged a deposit of 3.60

Coke zero 8 pack now have a 15c deposit lower down on the can but not charged so need to put aside

Pepsi Max 750 charged a a 25c deposit and has the Logo on the wrapper i missed earlier .

To be washed and put aside with till receipts for memory.

Just need to get a basket to store these returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Same happened near Lidl stores when they brought in their recycling scheme in 20?? Fresh cans/plastic bottles disappeared from roads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

used it yesterday for first time, it worked. Few bottles didn’t accept but they didn’t have the visual icon on them

young fellow was putting one in and threw it right in so never registered but that was user error

For all the posts and TikTok videos about it I was expecting some mad complex system and it’s easy….

In regards to the post of higher litter, if people are willing to throw their own money away then so be it

The local scout group in area do clean up etc so if they are making a few quid at the same time all the better

The person who posted about the 7k walk, bring a bag next time and you will make a fortune 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I do weekly litter picks around here and none of the plastic bottles or cans could be returned for a deposit, as they're invariably crushed by traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I know I'm a little late to the party here but on my 5th attempt I was finally able to recycle a can yesterday (previous attempts had drs barcodes not recognised/machines out of order).

I distinctly recall being told unequivocally that the vouchers will be as good as cash and do NOT have to be spent in the store whose machines you used. Not the case.

Were they telling porkies or what?

Post edited by JayRoc on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I distinctly recall them saying you had to use the vouchers at the store where you use the machine.

You are correct.

That's been the policy since the start.

You either use the voucher against a purchase in the shop where you use the RVM or cash it and spend it where you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭JayRoc

How do you mean, "cash it"? So you can use the voucher elsewhere?

You can cash it in the shop where you use the RVM.

You can't use the voucher elsewhere but obviously you can use the cash.

you go to a shop, you put in the bottles, you get a voucher you can use in the shop

That is what I seen everywhere. Otherwise why would the shop pay for the electricity etc on the unit

Sadly thats not the case, in a situation like this they may try harder and maybe even increase the cost of deposits. or may not do anything.

it's a percentage of returned numbers game, not number of containers game. Lets say for example only 1 shop sells a bottle and everyone else refuses to buy anything re-turn related due to boycotting the scheme. And that 1 person who purchased the bottle returns the bottle, then that = 100% recycling rate. if people think they can protest by still buying containers and refusing to use the RVM machines to get their deposits back, then they're only funding/supporting the scheme even more than they would if they returned the item and got their deposit back. Because the unreturned deposit goes straight into the schemes pocket. a tin can is worth 2 cent or less to the re-turn company, but for you it gives 15 cent back, if you don't return the can, re-turn the company keep that 15 cent.

i'm unsure, i think the barcode itself if you mean the RVM machine. to test this for you this morning i went to a local corner shop and put in a bottle to the RVM after scratching and drawing over alot of the barcode. unfortunately the machine kept rejecting the bottle. But i didnt let the bottle go to waste, i put the damaged lable in the bin and took the label off of a same bottle drink i found in the street (crushed but still intact with barcode area undamged) put that in the machine and got my 15 cent deposit back.

i think the barcode functions on the machine as a big "HEY! I'M OVER HERE!!" to the censors in the machine, then the machine glances slightly downwards or around the barcode in an attempt to look for numbers.

Although someone had posted here just over a week ago that the barcode are somehow incorporated into the barcode itself, perhaps the bigger the black line is = the bigger the number it represents? one or 2 aldi items have barcodes but with no numbers at all but can still be read by their checkout machine. the tall red cherry lips drink or sweet lips cherry soda whatever its called

by "cash it" we mean, instead of spending the voucher in the shop, ask to swap the voucher for cash, they will give you money which you can then spend in any store you like, or save it, or give it to me :D

• Advertisement

You could order 5 litre containers and reduce your deposits.

They are exempt from the scheme and still go in the green bin.

Also there is no need to wash out bottles or cans.

Just make sure they are empty.

Advertisement