Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine go in the black bin now, they used to go in the green bin. I tried to comply with the scheme but 75% of the bag of cans I brought were rejected by barcode. I'll give it a try again in a few months but for now they can go fook themselves with their extra tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

The missus bought a few cans over the weekend and she was charged the extra tax on em but cans had no Return symbol on em. She said it to the cashier and the was told ah yeah not to worry theyll be accepted anyway. This true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

They don't need the logo to be accepted as returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

When this was just about to launch the guy in charge of re-turn said that it wasn't going to be bring it in and stop - but that it was the start of a larger process.

On that basis, what should come next? What changes should happen to make the scheme better for consumers/etc? The big one I see is not getting a voucher, but getting the money into your bank or into an app or whatever. Having an app with a map of RVMs and their state (i.e. are they working/full etc) would be useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It may be true. The barcode is key not the logo.

If you put the barcode in here it will give you an idea on whether it will be accepted:

https://re-turn.shanehastings.ie/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny I was in sydney last summer, didn't notice one machine. although it does seem more thoughtvthrough than ours which is a blatent attempt to get you into the shop at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

this one also good: https://re-turn.ie/consumer/#barcodeChecker activates camera on phone pretty quick

I hate the idea of a paper voucher, but if they insist on it then vouchers it should be opened to be redeemed at company level at least. This idea of it having to be redeemed at the shop you got the voucher from is stone age stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

But theres still no guarantee they will be accepted. It's still hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I know tesco vouchers work in all tesco stores. Do other stores not go across all branches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,724 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Took some stuff to the shops. God what a grinding PITA this nonsense is. I'm actually eager for the incumbent party canvasers to darken my door step prior the next election, so I can vent my displeasure on not just this, but the rest of the enviro green crap.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Outside of Tesco, only Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl of the main supermarkets are in a position where they actually run all their own stores; and as far as I know none of them have said the vouchers work in all stores.

Everything else is franchised to a greater or lesser extent. Local Centra has a machine, he has only the one shop. Local Supervalu has a machine, I believe the owners there have four shops. Various M&S's have them but there are M&S stores operated by M&S, Applegreen and SSP. Various service stations have them and are often solo store owner setups despite having a shared brand - most big Circle K stores are owned by Circle K but there's exceptions to that too.

Aldi's say 'This receipt can only be redeemed at' and then the address of the shop you got the voucher from. That's what I mean, the system needs to be standardised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Perhaps just me - but there was something personally degrading about walking into a shopping centre of families and people on a bank-holiday buzz with a bag full of empty bottles/cans from the weekend waiting to put them into the 1 machine that wasn’t out of order, to claim my couple of euro back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Likely been answered already. But I tried returning some cans and bottles yesterday at Aldi Belgard. Some independent beers not accepted, grand. Don't recall if I was charged deposit. Likely not.

However, I got credit back and it has on the receipt only redeemable in this store. Why can the deposits not be used in each store: Aldi voucher, in all their stores. Dunnes, all their stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Declan05

Picked up nine 33cl empties in the local park yesterday, left behind by some Paddy's day revellers the day before. Got E1.35 on my way back in the local supermarket. Previously, I would have been saddened by the sight of discarded empties in the park but just walked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

Complete farce. Went up to our local machine for the 3rd time now yesterday only for it to be out of service the last 2 times. The first time it didn't accept half of my empties. Just came home and put them into the green bin im not arsed anymore i've better things to be doing.

Dont recall if I was charged deposit. Likely not.

Likely was.

Why can deposits not be used in all stores?

Greed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Security issue maybe? I'm not sure what fraud/counterfeiting measures are on the vouchers, but I guess there'd be a potential problem with someone rocking up to a store with a €123.75 voucher. Now at least they can confirm that there was a €123.75 return made to the machine in that particular store.

In theory the same issue applies to their normal clubcard/loyalty vouchers - probably easy enough to forge but at least they are linked to a card with a name.

Thats where I am too. That additional effort for maybe a euro, or maybe not a euro and carrying your empties around while doing your shopping. Versus, just putting them in the green bin.

Security issue maybe? Depends on what fraud/counterfeiting measures are on the vouchers I guess, though presumably it's fairly minimal and way below the standards of actual notes.

So could see an issue with someone rocking up to a store with a €123.75 voucher. This way they can at least confirm that there was a €123.75 return made within this store without having to ring head-office and/or the other store. Not foolproof by any means but somewhat limits them being scammed.

Similar issue potentially exists with club-card/loyalty vouchers, but at least they are linked to a card/name&address.

How are they going to confirm it? The voucher could have been from weeks or months ago. They're not going to check historical returns while people wait around to get paid. That's not how the system should work.

As I said, it wouldn't be fool-proof by any means. But the same store stipulation does add some security. It's the only reason I can see for it.

As I haven't done a return yet, I'm not sure what security measures are on the vouchers. From screen-shots here they look easily forged (I'm surprised someone hasn't gone down that path rather sticking than barcodes on toilet-rolls)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

We went to the machine in our local Supervalu on Sunday with two bags of cans - machines worked fine except six small cans weren't accepted - don't think we paid a deposit on them. Had to put them back in the car instead of carting them around the shop Got back €5.25 but I think it's such a waste of time. We recycle absolutely everything in our green bin - washed and dried - it's pristine!

As I said, it wouldn't be fool-proof by any means. But the same store stipulation does add some security. It's the only reason I can see for it.

As I haven't dome a return yet, I'm not sure what security measures are on the vouchers. From screen-shots here they look easily forged (I'm surprised someone hasn't gone down that path rather sticking than barcodes on toilet-rolls)

In Aldi they scan it, tear it and throw it in the bin. @BoardsBottler redeemed one for €200 iirc but he didn't mention any checks. It's bad enough having to get a paper voucher, the thoughts of having to wait around at a till while a manager goes back to check old records for returns would push me over the edge.

There are no checks done. They just scan the barcode on the voucher, and give out the money assuming it is recognised.

ArmaniJeans said he couldn't think of another reason why the voucher might only be redeemable in that specific store, ignoring the number one reason - because they want to keep your custom. They spend money making the store look nice, their staff have fielded questions regarding the RVM, probably have had to take away rejected cans from beside the RVM, they want you to spend the money in their store.

Why do supermarkets provide money off vouchers, instead of just price reductions? Because they want you to use the vouchers in their store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's an interesting take on it.

Why "personally degrading" ?

Your not the first to say something like that and I notice your post was thanked four times so I wonder is it a common reaction.

Advertisement