Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The government can however change the law to give the power for planning applications to a different or new authority.

They have done that in just the past year with relation to wide farms, the planning of which has been transferred from ABP to a new authority called MARA.

They should create a new national authority with expertise in the planning of airports and transfer it to them.

It is actually very strange that Airports are handled by local authorities, most national strategic projects skip the local authorities and are handled directly by ABP.

Railway projects, ports, etc. all go direct to ABP, for instance the Metrolink project currently working its way through ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Exactly! A critical piece of Infrastructure with national importance being looked after by a local council doesn't seem right.

I'd hate to be a member of the Fingal council committee under pressure to make this decision with all the focus on them now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I am not sure of the structure, but planning decisions are made by the professional planning Inspectorate in a local authority, not elected members, to my knowledge.

Reading much of the discussion here, you might believe that it was the Minister for Transport or members of his party that were the primary actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

I can't get a link, but to-day's Irish Times has a report that Fingal CC planners have asked the DAA for a shedload of new information on the subject of the passenger cap. Among other things they want more info on newer aircraft and their emissions levels. I thought that the cap had to do with the road infrastructure. Emissions may be important but not relevant to the stated reasons for the cap.

Confirms my view that planners are indulging in massive over-reach. Time they were taken to court.

Did the IT report that the FCC request is in response to the DAA's strategic infrastructure proposals? I read the material on line a few days ago and that's what it referred to - in great detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’ll never understand the reasoning behind the thinking of giving the ministry of transport to a green. Defies logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭dublin12367

I’d have to agree with you. I sent a link a couple of posts back and also explained how to get into view the requested info if you want to view the full requests in detail.

Without some intervention, The passenger cap is now likely to remain in place until probably late 2025 early 2026 by the time ABP (after fingal is appealed )make a decision on it and I just can’t imagine that’s going to be the case. Aerlingus could end up sending a good chunk of the XLRs to Manchester as a result in 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,271 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hah. There must be hundreds of people working in jobs in, or related to, Dublin Airport for every single noise complainer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not only Aerlingus sending aircraft to the UK, but also Ryanair will send more aircraft there too.. Not to mention other airlines cutting back on aircraft out of Dublin... Less cargo capacity, less passengers, less aviation related employment/job losses, higher costs of travel..

At least it will be nice and quiet for those who built their houses beside the airport....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AnRothar

A paper never refused ink.

Mick O'Leary can always be relied on for a good puff piece.

Anyone remember his use of Mary O'Rourke all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

With an intervention, how early could the cap be lifted?

The drafting and enactment of legislation is a serious business. Assuming it would require primary legislation, the process would require a clear policy rationale justifying the preparation of legislation, advice from the Attorney General on the legality and any risks attaching to whatever was proposed, a formal Government Decision to draft legislation, drafting of Heads of Bill, pre-legislative scrutiny by the relevant Oireachtas Committee, production of the actual Bill, passage through all stages in Dáil Eireann and all stages in Seanad Eireann, signature by the President, then commencement of the Act by the responsible Minister. The Minister for Transport doesn't have responsibility for planning legislation, of course. This is at best a process that takes many months and often much longer, unless emergency legislation was required (such as during the banking crisis or the COVID Pandemic). When you look at it like this, the Ryanair campaign can be seen as simplistic and probably not worthy of serious consideration by the Government - and that's in a situation where some in Government might indeed like to be able to sweep the cap aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thanks.

So given the expected detailed legislation, should the propsal to increase the cap not have begun some time earlier, so that the cap increase could be adjdicated on before the standing cap is breached?

I’d very much disagree with your last statement re not worthy of serious consideration by Government. We are now turning away routes, jobs, investment to our country. While Ryanair are very vocal about this, how many other airlines have now abandoned plans for Dublin behind the scenes? Hanian are one example.

ABP have the runway appeal since August of 2022. 2 years later and still no decision on this. A full and final planning decision on the cap could take 4/5 years due to the delays and appeals.

What would be the total loss to Ireland if Dublin airport remains at 32 million capacity for the next 5 years pending Fingal decision and appeals to ABP and the courts. An airport that without the cap, would probs be at 40 million in 5 years time.

The cap currently at 32m is a tiny part of a planning decision on terminal 2, in relation to surface access, which has been established that surface access is not the problem once predicted. It’s onerous and damaging. The daa should have removed this in 2017 at the latest but they didn’t.

This is a very serious issue that requires urgent action in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You do realise it’s more than a few people? There is a huge number of areas involved in this if it’s what I’m thinking.

Ashbourne, Ratoath, Dunshaughlin etc were all there before runway or terminal 2 were built and aren’t even in Dublin!!

Im not even sure if these areas would be affected by increasing the cap.

Does anyone know?

I was setting out the factual position regarding what is involved in process terms. Ministers may already have sought or been given policy and legal advice on the issues. Even if work was begun now and there were no obstacles, it's highly unlikely that legislation would be complete and enacted within the lifetime of the present Government. It would then be up to a future Government to decide whether to proceed or let the matter drop.

You can be sure there would be legal challenges whatever happens - that's the nature of getting any major done in Ireland, it seems - so I don't see a magic solution here. The fact that abolition of the cap is not universally supported would guarantee such challenges too. As has been said here before, there are good reasons why planning decisions are not in hands of elected politicians and (again, unless the very functioning of society was at serious risk) enabling intervention in this case would set a precedent that many people would not actually favour. The issue is much broader in policy terms than just the Dublin Airport cap, therefore.

The same runways that have been planned since the 60s and the same areas that have been overflown since 1989… and has aircraft mostly between 6,000- 8,000 ft from the north runway and 7,000 to 9,000 feet from the south runway. . Not relevant nor an issue no matter how hard you try and push that poor residents agenda.

they would naturally have more flights as the cap increases but as is to be expected living near an international airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,271 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he's wrong. He's been wrong many times but not this time

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I’m actually not very well up on all this.

I know there is currently an 11pm-6am ban on runway 2 flights.

Would the cap mean that curfew is removed?

• Advertisement

No.

cap has nothing to do with runway operations or times.

South runway can operate 24/7 but the opening of the north runway applied a 65 airport movement limit in 2022 across all runways. A limit which didn’t exist pre north runway. Fingal have ruled this as no longer appropriate and that a night quota would be more beneficial. This has been appealed by residents to ABP since summer 2022.

the current north runway operates departures from 28R or arrivals from 10L depending on the wind between 07:00-23:00 as part of a planning condition. Anything between 23:00-07:00 arriving or departing operates on the old south runway unless maintenance is taking place on the south runway, of which planning dictates that the north runway must be used in preference over the cross wind 16/34 which goes over densely populated areas in Santry, Artane, and Clontarf.

the daa are also trying to get the planning condition changed so that the north runways opening operating time are 06:00-00:00 which is something I don’t think is actually necessary as between 23:00-00:00 it is mostly arrivals which use 28L most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

You ask:"Would the cap mean that curfew is removed?"

The cap has little to do with the curfew: extra flights at 2pm are perfectly capable of breahing the cap.

This shows the lunacy of an an annual cap on passenger numbers. There are cricumstances where a night-time restriction or cap on flight numbers, or on passengers per hour or per day, may make some sense. But on passengers per year is just bonkers.

Post edited by Economics101 on

So there wouldn’t be flights taking off all through the night if the cap was removed?

Then why are the residents complaining about sleep???

That’s a very good question!!

Strengthens their case I suppose. A lot of the rubbish they give out about is in fact rubbish and incorrect.

I thought all along that was the issue.

Makes no sense now.

The residents of 28R have a bee in their bonnet over the 30 degrees diverging flight paths from 28R and will say anything to exaggerate their case of living in misery as a result, one even comparing it to living in a warzone. I would take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

That Green politicians are trying to justify the 32mn cap based on local traffic / access is even more ridiculous. Considering traffic on peak days can be in excess of 100k people already (ie what would work out to 36mn+ a year) regularly with no problems.

The fact that airlines are being forced to cut flights in quieter months because of it is just mind boggling, it doesn't make sense on any logical nevermind practical or sensible level.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

As an Ashbourne resident, I can tell you that the opening of 28R has had a significant impact on this area, and it was NOT something that DAA notified anyone about, and it's down to the 'requirement' that departures take an early right turn to ensure separation, which was NOT part of the original planning application.

As a result of some very bad planning and thinking by various sections, we've got the crazy situation that 300 flghts a DAY are being directed over a high population density, and having to do so by taking an early turn when both low and slow, and heavy, the worst possible time and place to be making significant turns during the departure, when what should and could have happened was that the approximately 300 missed approaches a YEAR should be taking an early left turn off 28L, which can be done without infringing Weston or Military airspace, as the missed approach starts at or several miles before the touchdown end of the runway, so the aircraft is likely to be at 2000 Ft or even higher before leaving the airport boundary, given that the landing aircraft is a lot lighter than a departing aircraft, and is already still at flying speed at the point where the go around happens. The workload on the flightdeck will be a lot lower than dealing with the potential problems of a low, slow and banked aircraft encountering a problem such as a birdstrike during departure.

Yes, Michael O'Leary is a great one for using things like this to hammer DAA, and that's nothing new, but he has a point, though with the agenda that the Greens are wanting to espouse, they'd probably be very happy to see all airports on this island closed permanently, regardless of the implications for the population and the economy, the implications for the Fingal area of losing the jobs that Dublin airport directly and indirectly provides would be catastrophic, and would spread way wider than just the greater Dublin area, but people like Eamon Ryan are all too often indifferent to those sorts of realities.

As for how to resolve it, that's a nice one for the politicians to argue about, they're good at that, lots of hot air and very little progress, if they'd listen to people who understand these things, the problem would never have arisen in the first place, and based on a meeting here in Ashbourne recently, Ryan won't even entertain talking to people who have put forward costed plans to save many millions on the Metro, and deliver it in a fraction of the time that's being talked about, it's been done with great success in Milan, but Ryan's being (as usual) ignorant, probably because if he was directly involved in the meeting, he's be shown for being even more clueless than we already suspect he is, and the outcome will be yet another project that goes way over time and budget.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Agree with second half of your piece, but the first part, how do either of these flight paths have a significant impact on Ashbourne? They do very well to avoid overflying the town compared to 28L departures. Many built up areas under 28L and 10R are much closer and have aircraft much lower.

Edited pictures now uploaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Surprisingly enough, Eamon Ryan has nothing to do with the design of Metrolink.

That’s what the railway engineering professionals who have brought the scheme to railway order application stage at An Bord Pleanala are responsible for. They actually do know what they’re talking about.

All recent rail investment projects by TII/RPA and Irish Rail have been on time and on budget.

So let’s stop posting nonsense about that please.

Advertisement