Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

He’s at least 6”5, if not 6”6. He has serious speed and engine too. Has a bit of North Kerry toughness in him too. Look hurling is his first sport and maybe Jack has enquired already and been told no. But the dog on the street knows that Kerry hurling team going nowhere with Molumphy staying on so maybe he could be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fair enough. Your posts came across like you were moaning so I'll apologise and take em at face value.

I've already mentioned an alternative. Dublin should be required to renovate PP. You're much better off making them play at the county ground instead of removing the all Ireland final out of croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Apology accepted 😀 And by the way you were 100 per cent right about the weather factor. I guess I was trying desperately to convince myself otherwise but as Sunday proved and many other wet days when we've lost, playing in the rain does not suit the Kerry set up. So ironic as Kerry is the wettest county in Ireland and Dublin, the driest.

At least I think it was you that I agued with over the weather factor. If not, my apologies, there have been so many posts and so many emotions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Don't think it was me with the weather. Its the same for both teams so not really worth mentioning.

It did make sh!te of the 1st half tho and both teams lost possession more than once because of it. We all want to see the final on a nice summers day but the players need to adapt too. But sure look, as I said it's the same for both teams so fek it.

Best player should never be captain, they have enough pressure. It should be the most experienced starting player. I love the way Hannon is Limerick hurling captain every year, why change a winning formula.

• Advertisement

You didn't seem to read my post so why bother quoting it. When playing all your semi finals and finals at home you gain a significant and measurable benefit. Games are won and lost on moments that could go either way, giving one team a built in points buffer results in them winning many more matches than they would if they played these matches away or even at a neutral venue. The result of a match is not based on intangibles, that's what we believe as fans because it makes watching the games more enjoyable.

Gavin's team would almost certainly not have won 6 in a row if they played all their semi-finals and finals at their opposition's home ground are you seriously disagreeing with this? Probably were good enough to win them in a neutral venue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Captaincy is not an issue. Football and hurling are differ to most other field sports in that play is not as contained. Basically you need 3-4 leaders on the pitch, one in the backs, 1-2 in the middle third and a leader up front. It's something if I was involved in underage again I would be more insistent on applying in the coaching structure.

Often in the way Kerry do it you just explain to lads that the Captaincy is an honour and basically his duties is to accept the cup and make a speech, if he is the leader of a line it's coincidental

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I agree. Captaincy doesn't matter either way.

You'll have different characters in every dressing room.

Vocal and experienced older lads, shy and quiet young fellas and everything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭50HX

I did read your post...read it again & see does it make sense to play an all ireland in Puc if dublin are involved.

Are dublin players & from underage up not allowed to dream of playing in CP.

You refer to an advantage they have playing in CP, is that pitch familiarity or crowd size?

That's your argument 😂I'll let you investigate home advantage in sporting matches at your leisure!

• Advertisement

And I'll let you come to the reality that we weren't good enough Sunday & that's why we lost😄

Unfortunately true, anyway always next year :-)

Here's to getting 3-4 more good squad players & go again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Excellent points. But people will still flog those points to the death just to keep the argument that the final must be played in Croker.

That Dublin team were just a little bit better than us on Sunday. And I'd argue that just a little was a combination of experience, mental toughness and confidence, not footballing abilities. And I wonder how much of the former three were impacted by home advantage, the two point margin at the death perhaps?

I'm well aware that sporting victories depend on inches. Which is why I'd be a stickler for fairness. I'm happy to be accused of sour grapes and all sorts but I still stick to my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The biggest difference for me wasnt football, bit composure especially in the last quarter.

Also apart from the Tyrone game, I dont think the Kerry defence and I dont mean just the backs has been quite the force it was last year. Dublin got some really easy scores, soletimes straight from kickouts without a glove being laid on them. Derry filletted the Kerry defence at times too.

I agree but I think we've a good backline and structure for the foreseeable future.

At the 51st minute we led by 3 points.

After that we had 12 attacks and scored 2 points.

Dublin had 10 attacks and scored 7.

That's the story of the game. We malfunctioned.

We only needed to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

It's hard to pin down why exactly but collectively as a team, we lots our heads a little. If we played with more composure and worked the ball into a good scoring position, we'd have won comfortably enough.

I agree though that other teams seem to come by scores easier and we've to work hard for them or rely on magic from Clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Sean O Shea really needs to work with a sprint trainer and sort his stride out.

No chance Barry Dan is going to be given a full forward spot. I do agree on Donal though, he has the ability to take on a man and go past them which is what we need.

As for Sean, he has blown very hot and cold all year. Very surprised to see him name in some teams of the year and a favourite for an All Star, I’d have Paudie ahead of him easily. I’ve said here before Seanie is very flat footed but the good thing is it is actually something that can be improved upon easily if him or the coaching team look into doing it.

Against the stronger teams he puts in a big defensive shift so appears to disappear from games but in reality he's playing as a 3rd midfielder. If you watch him, he filters back to the D protecting the scoring zone.

I think our attacking patterns aren't getting the best out of him. Geaney neither. Both are good kickers from distance off either foot. Why aren't they coming around on the loop for kicking points!?

Even David Clifford has too work too hard for scores. Maybe the top teams defensive system prevents it.

Different game now, no big full forwards anymore. With All the tracking back required now, leaving Clifford up top is the only one you can get away with. You would be crucified leaving two up. Not sure he has the engine to get up and down the field. Good player, great hands but just missing that bit of all round ability. As for Okunbur mentioned by previous poster, we might as well forget about him. He is injury ravaged from his time in OZ to now, it will be nearly impossible for him to stay injury free for a season. Personally would drop him from the squad and give somebody else the chance. As for needing a new coach, Jack could do worse than asking Eamon Fitzmaurice to come in as a coach, his tactical knowledge is the best out there. Farrell did it with Gilroy and it worked for them.

• Advertisement

You’re living in the past. Fitzmaurice was an average manager but his tactical knowledge is second to none. Two completely different roles between being a manager and a coach. Clifford tracking back with Barry Dan left up front, at this stage I think you are trolling me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

David Clifford looked very pumped up before match in the pre match warm up, it was obviously a very emotional day for him and his family. I can remember as well when Darragh o se was captain was it 2005 but he didn't have a good final and kerry lost on the day Darragh tried too hard and to do too much. Football in the last decade has gone to very fine margins and a game can swing from one way to another they are still some Galway lads talking about that free in kilean Spillane got in last years final and it swong the game to Kerrys favour, kerry ladies are up next Sunday hopefully they can do it.

Advertisement