Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I feel the same. I think we blew it. We were up 3 points twice in the second half.

Just keep the scoreboard ticking over, control the game and see it out.

Our shot selection and conversion went to shite when it mattered.

On the Dubs forum they're saying they should've won by more. I was certain it'd go to extra time. It's all perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i am not sure if ye showed dublin too much respect i just think the forwards didnt really show up , sean o'sheas monster before half time was the only point the half froward line scored all game from play . yes clifford had abad second half by his own standard but he cand just carry the can

barry done ok but when you see a lad getting caught for steps like that he looks almost out of place , both murphy and o brien should have been off the bench , but it just highlights the issues that still exist in them two positions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

yes adrian starting and o'brien coming on would have been better.... is joe o'connor a suitable replacement for jack barry??

Joe O'Connor looked excellent anytime I saw him. Bad injury at a bad time unfortunately.

He looks like he has a tremendous burst of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

especially nowadays against mass defenses , i was listening to lads at work making excuses all week for darragh , but his last good game came against tyrone , are killian or aidan the answer either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Aidan is not really a sub, he seldom.will bring impact in the last 20 minutes. Last year ya with 35 minutes he got in the tackles. He is a defensive HF/MF'er. He gets the hard tackles and will slow down counter attacks. The only reason for not starting him is we had no reserve MF'er.

Our FB line is superb as good as what is out there. It's the middle third. Moynihan, Murphy, Greaney, SOB, and Morley are journey men footballers. They are having 3-4 year longer careers than they should have

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How many wides had d.clifford today ,no plan b by him when the chips were down .Kerry had the winning of that game and I think all the back line will be annoyed because they put in a serious shift and no one will be annoyed with himself more then clifford himself

I agree. The forwards let us down.

Our backs are solid.

Morley and Murphy are quality.

Jack Barry was brutal against Tyrone in 2021 but has improved a lot since then.

Geaney was a tremendous servant for us but should be an impact sub.

Dara Moynihan has a great engine and does lots of unseen work.

We're lacking alternatives to the players you've named is the problem.

Ruarie Murphy is highly rated. Donal Sullivan was highly rated but I've hardly seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Tony Brosnan was a big loss, he's a bit hit or miss at times but when he's on it, he's very good at creating scoring opportunities Clifford . He'd have made a difference today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jesus lads Clifford is human . Give him a break .he’s had a tough year . It wasn’t his day it happens to the best . There’s nobody more disappointed then him tonight ya can be sure . Real supporters would have his back .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I was hoping Kerry would win. I found the match quite dull at times. Might be my imagination but I didn’t see desire I expected from either team. This Dublin team is a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Jesus lads yee want nearly everyone who played bad dropped off the panel..Kerry had two in the full forward line for most of the first half, the problem was they were two ponderous getting the ball up there..It Was like they didn't want to take on the Dubs..

The emergence of new players is a must.

Paudie Clifford ran himself into the ground..Dublin rotated a spare man in front Clifford all second half..His soft free on the wide goal chance Was cancelled out by the hop ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

This game really could have gone either way and on another day Kerry win it. The lads left everything out there.

I thought we defended well for the most part but we struggled at the other end. Dublin got their setup and game plan spot on and we couldnt get quality ball in to Clifford. The Dublin goal was a killer and completely lifted the crowd and changed the momentum of the game.

I am really proud of how the lads performed all year, it just wasn’t to be yesterday.

Looking forward we have the core of a very good team that will surely have a few more cracks at it. Most of our better players are between 24-28 and should be coming in to their prime. We need to find a few new players around the middle and in the half forward line but that’s for another day.

I hope the lads get a big turnout this evening, they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Commiserations lads. It's never nice losing an All Ireland final. Had good craic with ye before and after. We'll all winter well and have another crack at it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

There doesn't seem to be enough focus on the impact of home advantage to Dublin. Possibly has been discussed in the thread on the dominance of Dublin, but I've read little lately about how it might influence a tight game like yesterday's. A poster has just posted about it on the Kerry GAA forum. Not me as I've not signed up to post there hence my posting here. A lot of Dublin's recent 9 victories have been extremely tight, like yesterday's, and I don't think you can rule out the role being at home plays in getting a team over the line in a tight match. It doesn't take away from the fact that the Dublin players are superb, but given the sacrifices involved in getting to an AI final, it's an unfair advantage and no team should have any advantage over the other at that level.

Typical of Irish officialdom [and the GAA typify Irish officialdom] that few things are ever done properly, but there should be Croke Park type stadiums in several Irish cities to ensure neutral venues. Gaelic games have evolved into semi professional set ups and it's high time the whole venue thing was overhauled. Granted, Croke Park is the tradition, but if they can reform the timing structure so radically, no reason not to do likewise with venue. In the interest of fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That has been discussed to death in the past in fairness. It’s a definite advantage, albeit one that Dublin can’t do anything about and never asked for. What exactly are they or the GAA supposed to do about it? Croke park has to be somewhere

Having another 80k stadium elsewhere to mitigate the issue is not realistic and playing the game in Thurles or Cork would mean that tens of thousands of supporters from both sides won’t be able to attend the game.

It was probably 65/35 in favour Dublin there yesterday. Perhaps the teams playing Dublin in finals could get a bigger ticket allocation going forward to try to get a better balance of supporters. I can’t think of how else you’d realistically start to address the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

The only way to address it is for the GAA to require dublin to renovate Parnell Park but I'm not sure how viable that is given its location in a well built residential area. It's not ideal that Croke Park is their home venue but taking the final out of croke park should never be an option.

Having multiple 80k stadiums would be complete insanity.

The only solution is Dublin don't play their home games there and I don't think that will happen.

Croke Park is sacred ground now. The final has to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Where are they supposed to play them? You can't ask them to play outside dublin either in fairness.

PP is 8500 capacity. Dublin have something like 7000 season ticket holders so it's just not viable to play in PP at the moment as you have to factor in seaon ticket holders for the away team and thats before you even think about public ticket sales. Upgrading that ground would be the best option cos at the moment there is no other option than croke park for them to play home games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

I just don't buy those arguments. Why does Croke Park have to be the scared venue for finals? And why can't another 80K stadium be built or an existing stadium renovated to CP standards? Why would it be complete insanity, other countries have similar multi capacity stadiums, why not us? Our infrastructure in this country in general is below par relative to other European countries, yet the Irish just suck it up.

Ok it's not Dublin's fault but it is a massive advantage to them, has definitely played a huge factor in getting them over the line in tight finals which they really exploit and why wouldn't they! But that is just not fair. And in a national final an unfair advantage to either team should be ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭50HX

Twasnt much of an advantage from 95 to 2010

They were the better team Sunday yes they've been tight finals bit imo it ain't the home advantage that's gotten them over the line

Building another 80k stadium is a non runner financially

Advertisement