Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Jack must wonder what he has to do to win back to back...

Jack Barry was very disappointing.... I’d say only time I heard his name mentioned was when he was being subbed off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Fair play Dublin.

I can’t believe a player giving a ball away and then jogging back to goal in a 2 v 2 situation. And a pacey player at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ignacius

The 45 being overruled at the end and the free in to Kerry just before that being overruled were big moments in the match at the very end. I think the officials played a big part in the end for Dublin. How many fouls can McCarthy make before a yellow is ridiculous too?

Basquale stood up and Dublin found the scores easier at the end.

I'm sure Kerry will feel like they could have shown more composure. Sad to be talking about refereeing decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

They were correct decisions though really.

Dublin deserved it, I've no complaints.

We threw it away in final quarter.

Clifford was poor unfortunately. He forced it too much. Poor shot selection.

We need to find an inside forward, a half forward and a midfielder.

Shane Ryan would've saved the goal also. I'm pretty certain of that. Small margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

Plenty of lads saying Mick Fitzsimons had a great game on Clifford. Clifford had more than enough chances to make a winning contribution but its not the first time he has played poorly in Croke Park. In a close game, his performance was the winning/losing of it sadly. He'll be back soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

Two most at fault for Kerry were Ryan and D Clifford. Compare Mannion's shots (he skied two) with Clifford's. Mannion's were high percentage Cliffords low or very low. He should be coached out of this habit. With Ryan what's appalling is when the ball is in play and he and another back are close enough to the 21 and the nearest Dublin player is 30 metres away, Ryan will make a 3m handpass to the back.

Also SOS was poor, he should never have gone for a point with that free; the D Moynihan wide was unforgivable.

The one that Tom O'Sullivan skied was particularly bad. Just when they needed a score. Needed someone to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That was poor. The Dubs had a few bad misses but the shot selection was far superior to Kerry.

Like it was a 2 on 2 so he just needed to hold it up for a bit of support, no need of a hail mary from that position.

Paul Murphy always seems to get unfair criticism but is one of our most consistent performers for last 10 years. He's started for 3 different managers. I doubt they're all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He's opening score was class but and the assist was about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

to be quiet honnest there is too much being asked of him , and not just today but all year , the half forward line was terrible all year bar sean o'shea no matter who was selected , stephan o brian did well today but no scoring threat , o'connor in mid field had a good game but the man beside him dosent exactly help

i personally taught despite the givaway for the goal gavin white had an excellent game , himself and graham o'sullivan at the back , the kerry backs are excellent , paddy tally has a super job done , but fill the gaps in the forwards and mid field and there will be very little to stop ye next year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We tried to force the game too much in the first half. Two half goal chances instead of fusting over the bar. We never pushed up on Dublin's kickouts. Stephen O'Brien starting was a decision that did not pay off.

I taught Jack Barry did ok. While he struggled a bit he held up ok. He was up against the best/most experienced midfielder in the game.

Should we have stated Paul Murphy???. Ya he did nothing wrong, technically he played as a second sweeper. He was there to collect kickouts..... because he was left unmarked. I think he contributed very little and in reality was only a back up to Morley.

Might have been more effective off the bench in the second half. While Jack's use of the bench last year was superb this year it was not great. He was reactive rather than proactive. Killian Spillane should have been on earlier along with Adrian and Michael Burns. SOB legs as were JB gone 5-8 minutes before they were substituted.

Moynihan contributed little as well. Dublin managed Clifford very well.

Basically we showed them too much respect

Slava Ukrainii

Dublins composure and experience were huge coming down the stretch. While they made mistakes and had some poor misses, their shot selection and getting the right shooters on the balls was far superior.

Couldn't believe the shots Dara Moynihan and Tom O Sullivan took on in second half. Clifford also a few very low percentage shots even if normally he might land some of them.

On top of all that when Tom O Sullivan got the ball under the Hogan stand in the second half WTF did he stand up instead of running at the man marking him. We were two on two.

I still cannot believe that

Slava Ukrainii

He didn't miss many simple ones. Basically today Dublin marked him out of the game and nobody else stood up

Slava Ukrainii

Id say he missed definitely 2 maybe 3 handy ones?

And was probably lucky to get a free in for a goal effort blazed wide when he really should have taken his point.

He should've scored a goal. Bit of an angle but he was close enough to place it rather than blasting it.

Twice he got rid of Mick Fitzsimons and went for goal - one he drove wide where Sean o Se got a lucky free from - and in the first half aimed for goal and got bottled up/turned over. He missed a simple point from 25/30 yards out 10 mins left, kicking right footed to the left. He skied another into Cluxton's hands and had the last wide as well. I don't think he was well marked, regardless what all the panels will say to keep with the GOAT narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

whil gavin will be disappointed with how goal came about... he had a decent game but i think he is a player completely under utilised by kerry... he has some speed and we saw what he can with the goal he got again derry... some sort of plays should be devised to create more of them scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Disappointed Kerry didn't win. In my opinion, Kerry were abysmal and Dublin weren't anything near it. They were there for the taking!

Clifford, people will say he bottled it and he was horrendous in that 2nd half, but I get the impression with media coverage this week, it became a "name in the headlines" type of thing.

Not the first sportsperson to succumb to it, won't be the last. A lesson he'll learn from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

I like Jack Barry, but he’s a role playing midfielder now. He has got his place based on workrate alone but the reality is his footballing skills have gone backwards. It’s now the time to give a chance to a more rounded midfield partner for Diarmuid. Jack still has something to offer from the bench then.Who that is I don’t know but it’s not anyone currently in that 26.

Ive posted here many times that Paul Murphy isn’t a great defender, he’s well rounded but no forward would ever fear him. O Beaglaoich or Breen should start ahead of him without question.

Geaney was horrendous in the first half. He nearly fluffed the goal but after the goal he played well to be fair. Still I’m hoping guys like Killian,Donal Down etc need to be given a real chance playing full games in championship. Same with Stephen O Brien, very predictable and the best teams know how to set up against him.

In short, springing guys like Geaney,O Brien, Murphy and Barry from the bench is an option, starting them is not.

Still really annoyed Adrian Spillane didn’t start that game. I feel he would have made the difference as his impact as a sub Isn’t his strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

he had a fantastic game today , some engine in the lad but up in front of him is the problem

Advertisement