Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭50HX

Imo there is too much weight put on Okunbar being an option or should i say rather a hope

He was talked about before& after moran retired

... what has he done at senior level....nothing

Injury has hampered him....move on from him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭50HX

But he's not fit, he spent the larger part of his time in AFL on the treatment table.

I just wouldn't be banking on him, surely there are fit midfielders playing regularly at clubs to warrant a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Crotta O'Neills won their first county championship in 55 years on Sunday.

After losing 7 finals in that period.

Yet ye are still yapping on about David Clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

from an outside view , id like to see paudi get it , if you are giving it to a county championship winner , a great man to drive kerry forward in tight games and has a great football brain ,david is excellent but captain and being touted as the greatest footballer of all time the Saturday before an all ireland final in the year your mother has just passed away ... thats some pressure for a 24 year old to carry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

In the last year, David Clifford won the AI and league with Kerry. Won junior club county with Fossa. Won County championship with East Kerry. Won junior club AI with Fossa. Reached the final of Sigerson Cup with UL. Reached another AI final with Kerry.

He also lost his Grandmother in March and his mother in late May. He also has a young child. He also completed a post grad course in UL and teacher training. He's only only 24.

He won't have Sigerson Cup or colleges this year. Fossa more than likely won't go far in intermediate, so no club AI either. He's finished with studying. He needs a well deserved break and hopefully he'll get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Fionan mackessy is the new all-Ireland poc fada champion…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Donal O Sullivan, corner forward from Kilgarvan and plays with East Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

I don't know where the hype around him has come from. Remember he was only a sub a minor level, not that big of a deal, and his U20 career is mostly based on one game, namely the Munster final. But very few ever talk about how he was taken to the cleaners in the next game.

What was he brought into the panel last year based on? He hasn't played any club football when he was brought in and i don't think he played too much after the All-Ireland. Since he came back has he even played 10 full games?

fair play to them twas well deserved.... 7 final defeats in 55 years is unfortunate.... the loss in '99 to lixnaw after a replay was a sore one that took them a while to get over.. especially as they had been in the county final in '98 as well...

did ya know that Kerry have lost 7 all-ireland finals since 2002.... 7 defeats at the final stage in just 20yrs.... thats a fairly brutal statistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Since 2010 we have played seven finals won two drew one and lost four. Along with that we have lost 6 semi finals as well.

After reaching 11 SF's we have two AI's. I think at one stage in the 1980's we had qualified 57 SF's but won 28 AI's.

Slava Ukrainii

It'll be interesting to see if Crotta can build on this. They've had a lot of underage success so on paper have the players. But Ardfert had slimier success at underage in the 2000s and only managed one title after.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

I don’t know anyone who has ever actually rated him as a footballer. I suppose the hype is based on a professional outfit in Australia believing he had all the tools to be a top class player even though he was very raw. Injury put a stop to that in OZ and now it looks like it will put a stop to it for Kerry. As I said unless he can come into the camp on day one of the season fully fit then they should just try someone else as anytime used on him will ultimately be wasted as he will get injured again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Jesus we are nearly gone as bad as Mayo, for losing finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

More disappointment for the women's team. Game was over after 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭fire_man

The Dublin team seemed a good bit ahead in conditioning. Turned over Kerry a number of times.Will be tough getting back again after two loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Was tuned into radio kerry today who is breda oshea?? she was co commentator during the match didn't hold back on her opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

She's a GAA reporter, don't think she's ever had any involvement with the Kerry setup though. What was she saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Seemed to know her stuff I would have taught she had an all ireland medal or two she said kerrys game plan management was awful full forward was very poor etc etc

She was trying to be the female Ambrose.... while it was a disappointing way for the season to end... I would not be too critical of the players... they didn’t go up to lose... I thought some of her comments were a bit too cutting of players and management... Dublin were much better... way more naturally athletic players... and our ladies footballing skills left em down... players will be gutted... I’d be thinking being supportive rather than critical mite be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I watched the game on TG4 and didn’t hear the radio broadcast but that is disappointing to hear that the co commentator was critical of the players and management, they did their best and anybody that watched the game could see that the better and more seasoned team won. Maybe Kerry didn’t get everything right but no team does and sometimes you are just beaten by a better team.

Well done to the Kerry ladies on a very good championship and no doubt they will come back even more determined to get over the line in 2024

Interesting point.

I'm a Mayo man living in Kerry for 17 years and visiting it for over 20.

My wife is from Kerry and my kids are all Kerry.

I've noticed that my family and in-laws don't really understand the giant let downs that Mayo have had over the years in senior finals, and that's natural enough.

But the last two weeks I have seen them indure exactly what I have felt more than once.

And I know it's only a tiny sample but it is instructive for them in understanding what it's like to see your team get so far but ultimately fail.

Take the senior mens final. As Dublin went ahead and then got the last free to win by two I told my wife that I've had exactly the same happen to Mayo.

Go toe to toe with Dublin, have a lead, only for a mistake here or a miss there to open the door and Dublin find away through.

We were just back from the ladies final today.

My wife and kids are big into the Kerry ladies so they were very invested in today's final.

But they came out of Croke Park the same way I have done for years.

You get to back to back finals, against different opposition, the second time you are better, you have a better season, you are favorite, and you are going to end a massive championship famine.

And then you go out and completely underperform as players and management on the day and hand your opponents an easy victory.

And all this talk of hunger and hurt from last year etc is just that, talk.

As I said it may be a small sample, but I think this winter Kerry fans of both teams will have very much the same feelings Mayo fans have had for years when they look back on their football seasons.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

no doubt they will come back even more determined to get over the line in 2024

Really, will they?

I've listened to that all year here in Kerry and a fat lot of good it did them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

go and fcuk !! i worked with the excellent niamh carmoady for years from ballylongford , a top class act an all star last year and years ahead of her , then look at louise muircheartaigh display and her reaction at the end of the game , i wont hear a bad word said!!

Kerry have lost close finals before, a lot of them actually, take 2019 for example when they really should have won the first day out. I’m not sure what your point is?

I think most fans are hopeful that both the men’s and ladies teams will be in the mix in their respective competitions again next year but it remains to be seen.

What is it with people saying womens sports teams can't be criticised? It was the same with the womens soccer team.

Something clearly didn't go right yesterday from either the management or players or even both so i see no issue with it being called out. If it was the mens team they'd be slated.

There is no issue with respectful and constructive analysis/ criticism when the team underperforms but we need to keep in mind that these are amateur players that give up their time and effort freely so that we can have days like yesterday. As I said I didn’t hear the radio broadcast so I am not sure of exactly what was said but criticism of individual players and coaches who are undoubtedly doing their best is not helpful. Nobody will have been more disappointed than the players yesterday evening.

I dont particularly like hearing the men’s team being hammered in the way they were from some quarters after the final defeat either but there is probably a little more leeway here IMO. While the men’s team are also amateurs there are a lot of benefits and prestige going with the men’s game when you play for a county like Kerry or Dublin. It has always opened a lot of doors in other areas and some of the players do quite well from wearing the jersey.

The ladies game over the years has not enjoyed the same level of recognition. Thankfully that is starting to change a bit now, albeit a long way to go to.

Advertisement