Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

I pretty much posted exactly that here after the 2019 defeat and got ate by other posters. But it's unfortunately true. Our record in finals has become poor and dismal when you contrast it with Dublin's stunning 9/9. I'm old enough to remember many of Kerry's golden eras and I feel so sorry for our youngsters, some of whom weren't even born when we won 5 in the noughties. But even then we lost two to Tyrone. Really hope Kerry get back into a position of dominance some day, we still have our proud record of the most wins but this year's defeat was a sore one, even two weeks on it's still raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

rob monahan heading to Carlton Blues... this has been rumoured with a while... sadly its true..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭50HX

Was he brought into the senior set up at any time??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭50HX

2 more years for Jack

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Who were the alternatives? Even in 2 years, who might be putting their hands up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

2 years, 2 finals. 1 win and 1 left behind.

Don't think there's any other standouts ready for it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I do not think MF is the main issue and we have fissures along the whole field.

FB line and goalie ok but we seem to have absolutely no cover there. Paul Murphy should not have been a championship option this year and Morley has limited career. O'Bealoigh should have stated when he got fit but we need two half backs in reality

JB gets a lot of criticism but I think our MF is expected to have to do too much with issues st HB and HF. However we seem to have very little cove with Barry Dan not seen as an option come championship. JB will need to be replaced and we need more cover there

HF line is a disaster. In reality most teams play 4-5 in this area to add to the middle third. Including our forward line and playing DC always inside only Paudie Clifford is good enough. Seanie seems to have lost any bit of pace he has but can probably contribute if other do more around him. AS can bring doggedness to this area but we need 2-3 to replace DM, PG, SOB( who is really finished st this stage)

We can probably win a couple of AI if we find 3 ish players but none of our key players can afford to get injured

Slava Ukrainii

yes.. there are very few guys standing out in a coaching capacity in Kerry at the moment.... wouldnt be surprised to see eamon fitzmaurice back after Jack departs....

Jack has a bit to prove this coming year.... he has yet again failed to win back to back... he had a bad day on the line against dublin... will need to find a couple of players..... not bringing rob monahan along during the summer could come back to haunt him.... there are many good footballers in kerry.. the desmonds fossa game at the weekend was evidence of that.... but to play at intercounty players need to have a bit more of an edge about them... very few seem to possess that bit of an edge...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

We only lost to Dublin by a very fine margin. We gifted them a goal and Clifford missed 2 or 3 easy ones at least. We should've won comfortably enough.

I'm happy with Jack and the team.

We definitely could do with some new blood in the forward line. Geaney and SOB are on their last legs. Great servants but we might only get one more year out of them.

I find it hard to believe we've no young half forwards or inside forwards coming through. Our only option seems to be Tony Brosnan. Maybe Ruarie Murphy can step up.

Our GK and backs are fine. Another MF would be great. Barry Dan and Joe O'C maybe.

Rob Monahan is a big loss but who knows, he might be back in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

When it comes to new players first player that springs to mind for me is Cillian Burke. Let’s see him at county championship level with Mid Kerry but I think his athleticism would bring a lot to our half forward line. Mark Ryan I feel is worth a look at midfield. I’ve watched a lot of club games over the past few weeks and I’m not sure there are any other totally new players that are up to the level so it’s a case of looking at hopefully Donal Down pushing on and Joe O’Connor hitting the ground running coming back from the cruciate. Ronan Buckley may be able to offer something at wing forward. Ruairi Murphy needs to develop if he’s to make an impact next year in my opinion. County championship will hopefully throw up another one or two but there aren’t a whole pile of outstanding new options unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

No edge and like the great P O Se used to say bring that bit of divelment in to the game, would love to get a big man back in around the sqare, shake things up a little, like we had Liston in 78 Donaghey in 06 that gave us that extra lift, what's to say it won't work again in 2024. Surely they must be a few big units about that played a bit of basketball that can cause a bit of havoc in around the goal

yes i would like to see barry dan played there...... he played there for a few mins against mayo in the league and he did alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

6 time senior champions knocked out of the Intermediate championship by Fossa.

The Intermediate grade really is a brilliant competition. Fair play to Fossa and MC ripping up the script. Should make for an intriguing final.

The equaliser with time up to send it to penalites is some kick.

fair play to david paudie and the Fossa lads... but i was half hoping theyd be beaten.... david and paudie could really do with a break

Yeah, I agree. But even if they were beaten, they're out next Saturday with East Kerry anyway! I'd love to see Fossa as a senior club for the story of it alone but then you have Munster Inter champs to play and it just goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Thats an incredible kick at that stage of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Radio5

Well done to Dingle on their win, it seems to have been a close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Fitzmaurice was offered the job last time before Jack came back. County Board like him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

CB imo are part of the issue yet are never mentioned. At he end of the dy they appoint managers at all grades and in the last 15 years or so have been poor. Particularly a U21/20 level in recent times. Again there's no stand out man for the job should JOC leave, even if he does in the next few years.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Fitzmaurice wasn’t perfect but wasn’t nearly as bad as some make out and was unlucky to be in situ at a time when Dublin were at their peak and Kerry just didn’t have the players to compete. Dublin were unstoppable for most of the decade and it was near impossible to beat them in Croker. He probably did as well as anyone could have.

2017 and 2018 were disappointing as the team started to change and bring in new players but his record was very respectable up to that point

If Fitzmaurice was still there Killian Young, Fionn Fitzgerald, Marc Griffin, Darren O Sullivan would still all be on the team.

He stopped Sean OShea from playing U21 for a year by just keeping him on the senior squad and never played him. He made Andy Moran POTY at 33 years of age by putting the same player marking him two games running in 2017.

In 2018 he won the league with a group of young players and then dumped them to bring older unfit players back into the team.

Fitzmaurice as much as anyone made that Dublin team by not bringing young players through. You do not improve in continual training sessions watching older players having places on the bench.

We are starting do exactly the same now giving average footballers 7-10 years careers on the bench

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

It's an odd one. Untill 2017 Dublin where the only team Kerry had lost to in the Championship, however some very bad calls from Fitzmaurice cost Kerry those days 2013 trowing Jack Sherwood into the game. 2015 leaving on the Gooch when he was clearly struggling and of course beinging Paul Galvin back and 2016 bringing on Marc O Se for Paul Geaney. He hung Shane Enright out to dry in the 2017 semi-final.

Advertisement