Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EVs are worse for the environment (and other EV related myths)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Given the rapid inflation in house prices and rent, people are being driven away from urban centres to satellite towns. On top of that several companies are trying to force employees back to the office

So I'd expect driving distances to remain the same or increase in the near term

You're correct that not owning a car is better for the environment than an EV, but this requires a massive overhaul of town planning and transport infrastructure. This has been done before by the Netherlands, partly in response to the oil crisis of the 1970s

But it took them decades to implement in a country with a somewhat more capable government than Ireland

As for hydrogen cars, they're totally uneconomical and not green at all. The cheapest way to make hydrogen currently is using natural gas or coal, both of which emit CO2

Hydrogen can be generated cleanly using electrolysis, but this requires a lot of extremely cheap electricity to be remotely economical

A lot of hydrogen advocates point out that electricity is very cheap at night, but they skip over the fact that if they suddenly increase demand at night then the prices will increase as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

re: Cheap electricity at night, very good point and yes, you're right, this is skipped over all the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

but it's not really the cost of night electricity, it's the fact it's waaay more renewable than day time leccy and hence part of the reasons why EV are better choice (between two necessary evils)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

True, I guess the point about electrolysis costs are that a lot of advocates point to it as a method to use renewable energy which would otherwise be lost

The main issue is that you can't count on that electricity always being cheap, and it's unlikely to cover the required amount of hydrogen to completely switch all vehicle transportation over

That's part of the reason why hydrogen has now been largely relegated to aviation and shipping, and even those sectors are showing promise using batteries

The other issue as you pointed out is that the best way to use excess renewables in the grid is to make electricity really cheap so people are encouraged to shift their usage to use the maximum amount of renewables.

Octopus energy in the UK are already doing this with their agile tariff which changes every 30 mins to follow the wholesale price of electricity.

Combined with some level of automation and you can shift a lot of your electricity consumption to those cheaper times when renewables are abundant

The only hydrogen EV I've seen first hand was in Aberdeen, the buses and a few Toyotas, they "create" the hydrogen on site but Aberdeen is filthy rich off North Sea oil business based there

• Advertisement

Thing about electricty (Octopus in the UK taking advantage) is that it is cheaper to pay users to use it rather than turn off or "wind down" the plants when surplus exits (us all asleep in the wee hours)

Depends on the type of power plant though, coal and nuclear are hard to wind up or down so they tend to just keep going at the base load level

In Ireland we've the pso levy to ensure wind turbines make money even when the electricity price is negative. I'm not sure they've the same in the UK so it makes more sense to price electricity dynamically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

I totally disagree. How could you possibly save money if your initial capital outlay is double what it could be ? Why pay €40,000 or €50,000 on a brand new EV (or indeed an ICE) when you have a vast choice of low mileage used petrol & diesel cars for well under €18,000. €20,000 would buy a lot of pizza, beer and indeed petrol, diesel and car maintenance. Buying new is a mugs game, the instant deprication is the killer - any car dealer will tell you ''off the record'' Perhaps in 8 to 10 years time when EV's are more mainstream and a better selection of used ones become available then one could consider buying one.....but a low mileage used one !

At the moment EV's have nothing to offer but high initial cost, range anxiety, susceptibel battery life and replacement cost and are not really tried & tested over a long period - the whole thing is at embroynic/ 'baby steps' stage in comparsion to ICE......not to mention the charging infrastructure (or lack thereof)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

For you to buy that 10k used car somebody had to buy it new. What you are suggesting is that we should forever drive those 2017 Octavias which get worse and worse pollution-wise each year.

I was cycling through Dublin yesterday and oh misery for all the diesels absolutely stinking the place. And that's the ones that functioned normally. The golden award goes to that Silver 2010 1.4 Corolla DID's driver that absolutely belched pulling in Phoenix park. There was also some other clown in a Passat continuously sooting the place in their filthy black arsed car. The rear was literally covered in black soot. How ignorant can you be? Edit: And it wasn't a boyracery type which a chooing TDi, it was some old fella merrily going from A to B.

How ignorant can one be indeed. I respectfully suggest that you deeply research the different components that make up a battery for an EV Consider the environmental damage & pollution caused by the extraction, refining etc. etc. not to mention the transportation of these different elements from the 'four corners' of the world + it's relative short life span. You may be surprised to learn that there's a lot more to the pollution caused by cars than what comes out the exhaust pipe. Why scrap a good ICE car and replace it with a shiny EV considering the amount of the earths finite resources it took to manufacture both.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that piping several tons of refined fuel through the tank of a vehicle is less damaging than using a few hundreds of kilograms of recyclable materials?

And maintaining your old ICE should be done on the dot, something that is not often done it appears. Keep those injectors and DPFs functional folks.

I am suggesting that the pollution/damage to the environment caused by all cars, EV & ICE, is a little more complex than just what comes out the tailpipe. Take petrol/diesel for example the oil has to be extracted from the ground be that on dry land, undersea or fracked, then transported across our planet, then it has to be refined, then delivered to garage forecourt.

Raw materials of EV batteries consist of aluminium, copper, iron + rare and precious metals such as cobalt, nickle, manganese, graphite, lithium etc. Many of these rare and expensive metals are only found in selected areas of the world like China and South America.

Lithium for example uses copious amount of water when being mined which is currently causing huge problems for farmers and others in South America. Thousands of farmers, in Chile for example, have lost everything thru crop failure caused by soil & air contamination, lack of access to water for irrigation etc. and are daily abandoning their holdings and heading for the cities. The current annual demand for lithium for EV batteries alone is 240,000 tons and rising....and lithium is just the tip of a huge iceberg.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The current annual demand for lithium for EV batteries alone is 240,000 tons and rising....and lithium is just the tip of a huge iceberg.

If you're worried about the daily demand for lithium just wait till you find out how much oil is extracted which is single use instead of recyclable.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Bovakinn

I suggest you give this video a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oVrIHcdxjA

It does a deep dive into the research and cites all of its sources in the video description.

Most of us are aware of the carbon footprint of oil but the short and long term environmental damage caused by the production of EV's is being brushed under the carpet, thanks to green washing. Gullible folk are being sold a pup and some get hot under the collar when the facts are pointed out to them. At the risk of being repetitive - there's more to the environmental damage caused by all cars, ICE & EV's, than what comes out the tailpipe.

Consider the amount of the world's finite resources that goes into producing a car - there are millions of used ICE cars worldwide with 5 to 15 years of life left in them being scrapped and replaced with EV's thanks to the delusional doctrine being preached by so called environmentalists / greens etc. The very same crowd who, just a short no. of years ago preached that diesel cars were cleaner and ''healthier'' for the environment than petrol !

As an aside, according to impartial experts the process of recycling EV batteries causes more pollution and damage to the environment what than the end product is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭KCross

there are millions of used ICE cars worldwide with 5 to 15 years of life left in them being scrapped and replaced with EV's

Really? Where do you see that? Any data on it?

I doubt very much that that is happening on a large scale. ICE cars will naturally dwindle as the shift to EV's happen. We, unfortunately, cannot get away entirely from personal transport so its a case of picking the lesser of two evils here... ICE or EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There arent any scrappage schemes going on right now so I dont think thats happening. Of course, the greenest thing to do is to not ever produce any more cars and keep those that are on the road running.

But the next best thing is to influence those who were buying a new car anyway, to buy an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@monseiur - "there are millions of used ICE cars worldwide with 5 to 15 years of life left in them being scrapped and replaced with EV's"

Even if that was true, there were millions of used ICE cars worldwide with 5 to 15 years of life left in them being scrapped and replaced with other ICE (in Ireland:diesels) in the last few decades. Much better that is will now be EVs, no?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'll point you at this post, where a manufacturer actually worked out numbers instead of them just making them up based on Facebook posts#

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119270669/#Comment_119270669

The whole thing is rather complex, but to simplify it a little. Re. The millions of used cars worldwide destined for the scrap heap (thanks partly to the green agenda pushing EV's) It took a considerable amount of the earths finite resources to manufacture these vehicles, no doubt causing a certain amount of damage to the environment etc etc in the process. Why not encourage people to use, re use and recycle these cars to the very end of their 'life' instead of discarding them and going back to mother earth demanding more and more of these finite resources to manufacture shiny EV's causing more and more damage to an already fragile environment. An EV would have to last 25 to 30 years to justify this and the battery life is 8 to 10 years max. ...and the battery is a major pollutant.

• Advertisement

And just to clarify, I did not call you ignorant: I called ignorant the guy who was driving a really badly smoking (=very broken) TDi through the city centre with his sootmobile. And the same for the DID driver. And the fact that you can get away driving an obviously defective vehicle on the roads of the capital without getting stopped.

The quicker the cheaply maintained, if at all, 2017 TDis disappear from the roads the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm all for keeping existing cars on the road, as long as they don't cause people to die. Diesels should have been banned from populated areas long time ago.

The unfortunate statistic is that act of running an existing combustion vehicle for another 200,000km results in more emissions than burying it today and running a brand-new non-combustion vehicle instead. (based on Volvo numbers)

Where we really need to see progress is in scrapping the drivetrain and converting the car, that way we can take advantage of the sunk costs in the majority of the vehicle and eliminate the point of use emisssions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

People will continue to buy new cars for the foreseeable future. Hopefully the choice will be EV rather than ICE. Fossil fuels are use once only and they poison our villages, towns and cities. Cost and hassle is the reason many cars are scrapped. Once a car is 10 years old, the insurance premium goes up. Maintenance costs are higher. NCT fails are higher. Tax is higher and running efficiency is lower.

Your ignorance of EVs shines best with the battery life of 8-10 years max comment. Plenty of 12 year old Leafs still on the road with the worst battery chemistry. I sold a 10 year old Leaf a month ago to my fil. Still has 75% capacity. I have an 8 year old Leaf with about 80% battery (100km range). Would you consider these batteries to be end of life? Even when the range is too low for use in the cars, the batteries can have a second life as storage for solar or cheaper night rate and renewable wind energy. The usable life is far beyond 10 years and can then be recycled.

Stay Free

My Model S battery was at 93% SOH when I sold it last year, 8 years old.

@monseiur you made a lot of valid points but we have to move away from ICE, I think that is something clear to everyone and the only way it will happen is for consumers to buy new EVs that in time will create a more meaningful used market pricing. It’s not an overnighter and it’s not environmentally speaking the perfect answer but it’s the best option we have and we shouldn’t fall into the trap of knocking it for inherent imperfections.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's a great old marketing achievement all the same, ensuring that buyers of a product that requires huge emissions to produce, will eventually require substantial emissions to dispose of, produces tyre particle and brake pad emissions every time it moves, that they're saving the environment, and they don't have to let unpalatable alternatives like public transport or an eBike or a cargo bike enter their little heads.

That old nugget again, read up on that, it's been covered here before, versus ICE an EV is better for the environment cradle to grave. An EV is not environmentally friendly but friendlier by a large margin

Yes, agreed, cradle to grave, an EV is less bad for the environment than ICE, but it is rarely a cradle to grave comparison in real life. Often, the question is, should I get rid of this ICE now and buy a new EV, so the comparison would be 'cradle to grave' for the ICE vs later years of running cost and disposal for the ICE, which makes the question less clear.

We're not going to drive our way out of a climate crisis of course, so letting people kid themselves that they're being great climate advocates by buying a Tesla instead of switching to public transport or sustainable transport is a bit of a con.

Presumably Musk is keen to distract attention for such discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Great that he didn't turn you off getting an EV. You can probably thank Musk that you're delighted with your Mach-E. Lovely car.

Not everyone buys a new car and drives it to the grave. I would say this is in a tiny minority. The cars don't go to the grave after their first owner though. You're aware of this, right? So the cradle to grave is and emissions question actually quite clear.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Yes, indeed, I'm aware of that - which doesn't change anything about the importance of comparing the actual emissions impact of the actual decisions people make. Very often, the most environmentally friendly car is the one you already own, rather than incurring the manufacturing emissions of an additional vehicle.

Advertisement