Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering getting a PHEV - anyone happy with theirs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mailforkev

This obviously changes things slightly. You should have probably have mentioned in your opening post that your use case in the winter is different to 99.99% of people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@kirving - "Versus an i4, it's €12k cheaper. Admittedly a different driving experience, but the target market is similar for both. To save €12k in fuel over 3 years"

The sums are very different than that. Fuel is only one aspect. The depreciation on a 330e will be far higher than on a base i4. I'd say the total cost of ownership over say 3 years will be similar enough if you do average miles, or cheaper in case of the i4 if you do above average mileage. While you have a far superior and far faster car that doesn't pollute at the tailpipe.

No brainer. But the other way around ;-)

@MercuryBoy - it would have helped explaining that you are not in Ireland. When you're asking a question on an Irish forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭snowcat

Im in ireland. Public charging is irrelevant to 99% of your journeys (charge at home). And even for the 1 % you can easily get a fast charge now for pittance. The best thing charging stations did was charge a high price for fast charging. I meant to mention that was for EV's. PHEV's are the worst of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's also a bit pointless giving the Irish prices for cars, they're generally better value on the continent 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Right, we're going to drag race an EV and a PHEV up the artificial ski slope in Kiltiernan, that'll tell us which one is the best choice for a skiing holiday up an Irish mountain 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I had an similar use case to you and went with an Outlander PHEV. Suits us perfectly - 90% of driving is on electric and I probably only fill up once every 4-6 weeks.

Would have preferred an electric and might have found one to suit but at the time of purchase any electric in our price range was either old and had high mileage/low range or too small. Any decent electric car that was big enough and had a decent range was about 20k extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

Is this kind of the elephant in the room though? Fast chargers are almost non existent in Ireland in reality (proper 100kw plus ones). You look at Bjorn videos and there are banks of these things on almost every corner. If you are lucky here, there might be one on the journey you are planning which you will que at, but there probably won’t be. Not everyone is driving Dublin to Cork or Galway. I would need to drive Waterford to Drogheda and back same day a couple of times a month. As far as I can see, the Kilcullen stop is the only high speed charger on route and it’s always wedged.

Last time I bought a new car five years ago, I wanted an EV but they just weren’t available for the class of car I needed. Now I’m changing again, I still want an EV and there are tonnes of great options but the infrastructure is absolute dogsh1t and I can’t see this changing anytime soon. It’s a bit disingenuous to say just go to a high speed charger because they aren’t there. I’ll probably end up getting a 330e I don’t really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

For that low regular mileage, apart from weekend trips the PHEV won't save you much money. If I was buying new I'd buy a bev but in reality in your usage case I'd probably just buy a second hand petrol.

You need to be doing close to the ev range each day on a PHEV for them to make sense, and ideally only the odd longer spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

It's amazing how for a medium commute the bev wins every time. For me my round trip commute is under 200km in a day including school runs etc.

I am lucky in that way that my needs totally suit a bev.

Beverly all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭kirving

As @whippet said though, the gap is actually much more than €12k. Probably not the absolute fairest of comparisons, but it's not apples and oranges either. Maybe lemons and oranges going by my 330e experience...

I haven't looked at BMW finance numbers either of course, but even saving €6k on fuel over 3 years, the depreciation calculation to cover the remainder is still a bit of an unknown IMO.

The second hand market right now I don't think is indicative of what 2025 might be, for ICE, PHEV or EV.

EV is likely to do better absolutely, but new models coming every day, battery deg concerns (true or not), inevitable higher energy costs and EV taxes, and an artificially inflated second hand market now are skewing perspectives across the EV market. Overpriced second hand ICE have a cliff to fall off too. I just can't see it as sustainable when new car production catches up to demand.

Would you lose €14k less on an i4 than a 330e? Unlikely IMO. Again, different cars and I'd take the i4 personally, money no object - as many people do!

In any case, for the OP, if they go EV, then fantastic, but PHEV does have a place in the market currently, given their similar purchase cost/power/potential fuel savings vs ICE.

When new car production meets demand seems could be a long time away

We seem to be assuming it will over the coming months but who's to say it won't get worse.

A BEV with cheap home charging and especially with solar to compliment is easily the safest option imo

I think people get a bit single mined about the cost difference between an EV and the PHEV or ICE equivalent

There's other ways that an EV saves money which need to be considered. Not having to spend a fortune on petrol gives you a bit more breathing space in your monthly bills.

Maybe you take those savings and start paying off debts early, or invest in solar which enables you to save more

Maybe you combine all those savings to pay off your mortgage early, and maybe after all that you could save lots of money and retire early 😁

Or just spend it all on pizza and beer, it's up to you 😂

My point is that even if the savings on an EV might be a bit dubious over the lifetime of the car, it can enable more profitable saving methods later

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

Apologies but it was a general question on PHEVs as opposed to an Irish specific one I think

As you can see from the replies, not really. With a relatively big range BEV in Ireland you can do almost all your trips without charging. In some of them you can do Dublin to Galway and back to Dublin in good conditions. But you couldn't go from Amsterdam for a weekend skiing in the Alps. If you don't have a Tesla, the fast charging network in your area of Europe could be relatively poor in which case a PHEV might be a better choice, particularly if your budget is limited and you wouldn't be able to afford a Tesla with its super reliable supercharging network, or another long range BEV

In Ireland, a BEV is almost always the better choice as there simply are almost no 1000km+ trips anyone ever does here in a day

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

This is my experience too. I have a Kia Niro PHEV.

I needed to change as my old petrol 2009 car was about to give up the ghost. I wasn't buying new, and full electric cars were few and far between - even if I wanted to buy new, I would have been waiting 6 months according to the dealer.

All my driving in Dublin is on electric. Rarely I might just exceed the electric range.

Trips down the country at weekends are done on petrol and I find the fuel economy excellent in comparison to my old Toyota Auris. I don't think I have put petrol in my phev since start of September, and I still have a range of 450km left on the petrol engine (that is after a return trip to Limerick since my last petrol fill).

Does anyone buy an EV to help reduce their carbon footprint. Seems like its hardly ever mentioned.

Walking the kids to school earlier and the smell of fumes is horrible

Would be healthier to hop in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Evs help local carbon footprint. They are still powered by dirty grid electricity. Ironically if you charge at night, the energy can at times be more dirty than during the day because they have to cut off renewables.

Unless of course like mine it's powered by your own solar.For me, the carbon footprint is a nice to have. I moved to EV for the cost savings. I got great cost savings doing 60k km per year in a 24kWh leaf a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

Personally my reasons for going EV would be more along the thinking of ICE just isn't necessary for me anymore. When I do change the 330e it will be replaced by a premium EV of some description which will have a decent range (as will probably change it in 2024 or 2025).

In terms of being better for the environment - that is a bonus for me really. I do see myself cringing anytime I see a little puff of smoke out of the back of a car outside the school when I'm collecting and I don't miss that early morning cold rattle when I was turning the ignition in my diesel moto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

While it is nice to charge the car when the Eirgrid dashboard is full of Renewables (so then you are charging it with clean energy), I think it's a little rich to have a shiney new car (with all the environmental impact of its production and shipping) and claim its "good" for the environment. What would be better at this point is if I ran my old 2012 Fabia into the ground but alas I needed to change for other reasons.

I'm also getting solar over the winter, but I do feel a pressure to convert the manufacturing impact into a positive for the environment by charging in a green way over the next 5 to 10 years.

BTW, @ELM327 - they only cut off the renewables at night because there isn't a demand to service. If demand was higher, they'd curtail wind less at night and the CO2 intensity would drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭monseiur

With your very low daily mileage during the week and long commutes at weekends you should consider something like a low mileage 2018 or 2019 Skoda Octavia, Skoda Suberb or Audi A4 petrol of course. Buying new whether ICE or EV is madness, the saving by buying used is massive and will more that make up for the little extra the petrol will cost. (Saving could exceed €25,000 !) A well cared for Vag car or similar has a lifespan of up to 20 years, compare that with the over hyped and grossly overpriced EV's, PHEV's etc. Perhaps in 10 years time when EV's become more mainstream and charging infrastructure becomes prolific, like today's petrol filling stations, things may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm aware of why they do it, but the fact is at the moment they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭kirving

The upfront cost of the car is almost always more, so you're either spending savings, borrowing, or paying more on PCP. So until you've hit that break-even point, the EV is costing more money, even if it feels like less money. But overall I get your point, how you finance the car is very important in managing day to day cashflow.

There are of course many more advantages to an EV than cost alone, but it's a primary motivator for many buyers and proponents, myself included if the maths work out. For many buyers though, they just don't do the mileage or have the journey type to make appreciable fuel savings to offset the upfront cost vs a PHEV. For the majority of EV buyers, a PHEV would still cover the majority of their journeys on EV mode and have a low cost ICE to carry them once a month on a long trip.

Almost all cars sit parked for 90% of their lives, which is bad enough for an ICE, but I don't like to see 80kWhr worth of batteries sitting on the drive way that are charged maybe once a week. The day my journeys suit an EV, and it works out for me cost wise, I'm buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

I'm leaning towards this, a 2017 Skoda Ovtavia with 60,000ks on the clock is around 17k here, a new Kia e-Niro is about 38k including an 8k gov grant.

That's a €19k difference, of course you're not getting a new car but if I spend on average €1000k on petrol a year, it would take about 15 years to amortize it...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Phev are not the worst of both worlds, they work for some people.

I agree they do but I genuinely think so many buy them not fully understanding what they are buying.

That's the problem for me.

They do. But in Ireland that would be a tiny minority. The vast majority of new PHEV buyers of the last few years whose use case I was given details of, could have and should have gone BEV. Most realise this after a while but of course buyer's remorse is hard to admit, even to oneself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Why is it a tiny minority in Ireland?

What is your average Irish person's daily mileage? Lots of people fall into the category of being able to cover that on PHEV EV range. If you don't do many long trips outside of your commute and don't have a second car a PHEV is a great option. People with < 50km round trip commutes who fork out on long range EVs often spend a lot of money on battery range they don't need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

IMO you can either get an EV which is reasonably priced or has a decent range, but you can't get both. Without range you are at the mercy of the charging network which isn't great - and that's the gap that PHEV vehicles are plugging at the moment

Advertisement