Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ah yes,But....that review will NOT be featuring any contribution from Dr Holohan or Mr Reid,two of the most important Covid personages in Ireland.

It will,I suspect feature a tramload of Civil Servants,as junior as can be found,to be metaphorically garotted by a succession of Junior & Senior Counsel,none of whom will earn a penny from the "review".

The whiff of decay from this entire production is very strong indeed !! 👺

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Maybe we could get him to do a speech in Dublin.?

RDS in the RDS !!! 😎

Bound to have a familial connection in the North Inner City surely ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Drunken Oaf

So you believe that this thing just happened to originate in the fish market. Just by chance.

You believe that the lockdowns, the societal reset, the hyperinflation, none of this could have been predicted or avoided and it certainly wasn't deliberate.

Jesus. Don't tell anyone that in public whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Drunken Oaf

We are in the middle of summer and we have daily threats in the news to bring back mask mandates.

More than likely we will see some sort of lite lockdown this winter (probably involving nightclub closures, moronic rules around live gigs and half capacity outdoor sport events), making us an international laughing stock.

We will be getting this because certain nerds in government enjoy it too much.

Don't forget- in April 2020 Simon Harris said, casual as you like, he couldn't see a return of pubs and nightlife until a vaccine was widely available.

At the time, most experts had a widespread vaccine roll out pegged to between 3 and 5 years away. Many speculated we might never have one.

TLDR- Simon Harris thought 3 plus years of no Irish nightlife was something that shouldn't come as a great shock to anybody, just live with it.

Now, that's all well and good if you like staying in each and every weekend playing Warcraft and watching Doctor Who or whatever Simon probably does, but that he thought this was a viable option for the rest of us speaks volumes about what planet these people are living on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

So after over two and a half years throughout which I was actually in work it finally got me today. Didn’t do too badly despite being labeled “irresponsible” and a “granny killer” and god knows what else by some of the zealots on here. Extremely mild symptoms so far just a very mild cough every 10 minutes or so. #prayforme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What is this scutter? Why do you insist on fantasising about "lite lockdowns"? These same arguements were proposed by the forever restrictions merchants earlier this year, who were roundly shot down when the government removed all restrictions. But yet the worst case scenarios continue on here.

I'm not a defender of the government, but it's tiresome reading the same shite. And, yes, unsubscribing from the thread is an option but, in between the bullshit, there are some good points.

Are these legally enforceable? If not, they are a local policy, and not a nationwide restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Oh don’t worry my wife is after getting 7 days worth of easy singles to push under the door to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I hate it when I'm right..

First mask mandates go back on the books.

Now it's time to line up for your next jab because Micheal is "worried"

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/possible-fourth-round-of-covid-vaccines-for-autumn-due-to-evolution-of-virus-41810764.html

A new national Covid vaccine programme for all adults is on the way because of a lack of protection against new variants as the Taoiseach admitted to being “worried” about the impact of the virus this winter.

The virus “still retains a very strong disruptive capacity, which I think has been underestimated by people,” Micheál Martin told the Irish Independent, referring to both the hard-hit health system and wider economy.

Mr Martin said rollout of the fourth round of Covid vaccines is likely in the autumn due to an “evolution of the virus

And although couched in possibilities and maybes, anyone who thinks that this and mask mandates won't be coming back is deluding themselves :

“We are worried about the winter period in particular,” he said, admitting this was why legislation was introduced last week to allow for new mask-wearing mandates across society.

“We’re taking contingency measures,” he said.

“I don’t want to find ourselves in a position in the autumn where we might have to respond with masks. Hopefully we don’t and we may not have to go there at all, but we should always be prepared.”

Which is standard political double-speak, and the usual tactic of softening us up for the inevitable.

• Advertisement

with those who had Covid at the beginning of the year left with no immunity.

Mr De Gascun said vaccine manufacturers were looking at incorporating the latest strains into a new jab that would also protect against an expected flu outbreak.

Nothing more than a paid shill

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

"Now it's time to line up for your next jab"

Did you expect never to be offered another vaccine ?

It was called from a long time ago that much like the flu vaccine you'll be offered it every year more than likely. Up to you if you want to avail of it or not.

If they want to offer a vaccine out to the entire population I don't see the issue to be perfectly honest.

Nor do I. Unless of course they resurrect that odious cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'm pro vaccine anti restriction

No problem with everybody getting jabbed if theres no other curtailments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The issue will be if they effectively force everyone to get it again under threat of being locked out of various activities or venues if they don't.

Just like they did last time. Don't be under any illusions that anything has been learned or will change once they start down this path again.

It's looking like I said yesterday a bit of 🥕 and stick

Endgame is to get people vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

They'll have a serious fight on their hands in the Autumn/Winter if they try to enforce working from home/isolating at home. Electric Ireland announced their second price hike in 3 months, that won't be the last of it and with the price of everything going through the roof people are really going to be struggling financially. At least at work they'd be warm, not at home freezing but afraid to turn the heat on while worrying how to pay the mortgage/rent, feed the kids and keep the lights on. The PUP payment money is gone, remember MM saying he didn't want to use that money for Ukrainians but then he used that money for Ukrainians.

How much is the 4th round of vaccines going to cost us and where is the money coming from? Why were people coming here from countries with very low vaccine uptake of any kind allowed to come here and then not vaccinated here? Why, when at the beginning of this year when there were still so many people calling for an apartheid system where those without a booster to be denied access to indoor hospitality did these people become exempt?

I've had COVID it was no big deal, a cough and things smelled strange that's it, and I'm a person with a compromised immune system. I've lost count of the number of COVID jabs my parents have had without them giving a second thought to whether it's even safe to keep getting so many. There latest boosters were more unpleasant than my COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Things are too tight and challenging for people to worry about covid now ,the career cranks are all that's left to appeal to now

That prof Anthony Staines is a serious oddball

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Exactly, can't understand why some people are so anti-vax in this day and age

Jab doesn't bother me restrictions do

What does bother me if there's a new variant and no one taking the next gen vaccines and then a load of restrictions because of it

• Advertisement

Just because there's a 'variant' doesn't automatically mean that a vaccine is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think something very bad would have to happen for restrictions and lockdowns to return . If we go back to restrictions and lockdowns now despite high rates of vaccinations and immunity from mass infections then it’s game over for our meaningful lives. They’d have to be permanent because Covid will never go away because it’s too contagious

. We would never have anything to look forward to. You could never plan anything. Life would be just merely an existence and full of depression. Of course there’s a percentage of zealots shouting that society should shut down in 2022 but those people are pathetic and best ignored because a lot of them had miserably lives pre covid and in my experience some have other agendas.

We are doing the right thing by letting it rip and it’s up to one’s self to be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I think you just hit the nail on the head: restrictions were brought in to increase the vaccination rate not to stop the new variants

Spot on. Despite the imaginations of some on here, the politicians and a lot of health experts (Tony included) acknowledged some time ago that we have to learn to live with Covid - and this is it. Things were much worse (in terms of stats and "de numbers") earlier this year, yet all restrictions were still removed. As you say, things would have to get much much worse for any utterance of lockdown to return. There is just no justification for these type of measures any longer, and most people know that.

All true and this is why I said I wish we had Tony right now

All he have right now is a bunch of talking heads all blowing in the wind on masks

On the vaccine , I don't know what we'll need to take and when but have no issue with anything that helps the 99% avoid masks and whatever else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm sure that will be the line when an omicron vaccine comes along, take the jab or restrictions will return, just like last years line, 90% vaccinated and we reopen everything

Sadly I think the biggest obstacle to trust in vaccines are our government and our nurses unions who seem to want restrictions regardless of what the vaccines are so clearly doing to this virus. Another thing that I'm at pains to say Boris got right -_-

Restrictions=Cushy life for a lot of these people

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

While getting the platform in the media to finger wag

If mass gatherings are stopped by September then I'm blaming Garth Brooks (only a joke lads relax)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The covid pass needs to be reintroduced asap.

• Advertisement

Was in a hse non-health environment today

Everything was back social distancing and handed a mask on the way in

Advertisement