Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Judging from Twitter, there's still a sizeable amount of folks out there that want the mask mandate back.

Thankfully (and I don't sing their praises very often), the Gov and what was NPHET can see that masks or no masks, it's going to spread regardless just like it did over Christmas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Several of my aquaintances and one family member are now on round 2 of covid, since last Oct/Nov.

I have no problem with people who wear masks, but I wonder are we approaching a point where we just stop testing, because I don't really see the point now, if we will all get it multiple times anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You might and will likely not even know

Although the funniest thing I find with people and all this nonsense is that they'll be rather ill but have a negative antigen and be like "thank God it's not covid"..

You're still sick like. It's the same as any other illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The hysterical overreaction to covid is the reason for the huge spike in inflation, the war is a factor but inflation preceeded that

There should never have been any lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Theres a lot of random people going against the science now , calling for masks and restrictions

It's comical really now that the tables have turned

The UK is completely winding it down and Prof. Philip Nolan isn't concerned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The UK never enforced the kind of madness we did ,anyone who was over there can attest to that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm assuming you actually meant to say England rather than 'the UK'?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

was out in Dublin last night, pub was wedged, a few came in in masks, wore the ordering and then took them off to drink. Like what was the point in wearing them at all? You are in a packed pub, standing room only, ordering with a mask makes no odds?

Im all for people wearing one if they feel safer/feel vulnerable on bus or in shops. But in a packed pub it’s just make believe that it will do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The personality that still wears a mask and does it in that context (ie not a medically vulnerable person who just wouldn't take it off at all or be in a crowded pub) is just a confused, scared and simple minded one. They are so scared to think or act for themselves, which is evidenced by the dithering between throwing on a pointless mask from their pocket or not, in the context of being in a busy pub and drinking alcohol. Bless their little lamb hearts but the "throw on the mask from my pocket" types just as they go inside a bar or a shop or wherever just look so hapless, I pity them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I see Micheal is already undermining the upcoming/inevitable inquiry:

Taoiseach Mícheál Martin does not expect HSE chief Paul Reid or chief medical officer Tony Holohan to be called as witnesses during a Covid inquiry. He said he wouldn’t like to see people having to “mind their Ps and Qs” or to be “looking over their shoulder” during a time of crisis.

He promised the inquiry would be a “comprehensive evaluation” so the country could be ready to act in future pandemics.

Proposals on an inquiry into the State’s handling of the pandemic are set to be brought forward within a number of weeks, he added.

However, health chiefs who played a central role in Ireland’s pandemic response will not be in the witness box at Dublin Castle as part of the inquiry.

“I don’t see it in that light,” said Mr Martin, speaking from Washington DC during his St Patrick’s Day visit.

The Taoiseach said he recognised people in public roles will learn from the pandemic, but it is important they feel capable of acting decisively when called upon to do so in future.

“When a crisis, a once-in-a- 100-year event happens, mistakes will get made. The important thing is to learn from them, particularly public servants, because they’re in the lion’s den from the beginning.”

So a review of all the decisions, mistakes, damage that's been done, and the cost of it to society and the economy won't include those who made those decisions? Get out of jail free card for everyone and yet another enormous payday for the lawyers!

Worse than that, Martin actually believes that they shouldn't have (had) any oversight or accountability in the first place - which just confirms the widely held opinion that it was in fact Tony and NPHET who were making the decisions, not merely offering recommendations, and exposes Micheal as the weak, completely ineffective, administrative drone that was (like Enda Kenny) far more concerned with his personal achievement scoreboard than actually leading the country and Government through this.

I shouldn't be surprised or angry really. I even predicted it ages ago. This is Ireland after all. Despite the superficial layer of liberal, democracy, and modernity, it's still the same banana Republic it's always been!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Some people will never miss an opportunity to signal how virtuous they are. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

True

A few of those who suffered have left a lot of heartbreak behind but nah its grand 'we done well'

Infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She probably thinks the blue tick makes her more important than she really is.

Fortunately most people will just ignore fear mongers like her and get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭prunudo

The biggest issue i have with these people is their views can gain traction. The media pick up on them and its reporting as being what the public want.

By all means, people can wear masks if they want, they can leave premise that are too busy but please don't make the rest of us life our lives through their eyes.

That's a very valid point but I think that unless something dramatically worsens, the Government won't be keen on changing anything, what with the effects of the Ukraine war, and the resurfacing of all the things that were ignored over the last 2 years to deal with.

Plus Martin has had his goal to be Taoiseach fulfilled and he will see himself as having led Ireland out of the pandemic. He'll be fairly quiet for the next 5/6 months I reckon and then attention will shift to Leo's return, or who'll take over for him if that awkward Garda investigation doesn't go quietly away - my money is on McEntee which would be a disaster... not at all because she's a woman, but because she's achieved even less than Varadkar and is even more prone to chasing social media trends and crusading.

But if it happens sure it'll be all about how far we've come (again!), until as happened with Leo, the gloss wears off and we find out there's nothing beneath it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Absolutely everyone who was involved in the decision making should be interviewed and accountable for there reasons for why Irish people have had there rights and restrictions imposed upon them for nearly 2 years

Nowhere in her post did she state that she wanted the mask mandate back. Didn't stop Boards fury though...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

She didn’t have to say anything at all but that won’t get her any social media attention. Why didn’t she say anything while on the train instead of scurrying off to do it on Twitter?

Would you have known about it if it hadn't been highlighted here? I wouldn't. I don't even know who she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Not sure if you're including me on that, the comments to Maia's tweet are what I was referring to.

That's the inference (and the narcissistic "look at me, aren't I responsible" angle of course!), and likewise with many of the replies - one person even dismayed about all the "no maskers" in shops, and no one approaching them to ask they put one on, many others saying they were the only one with a mask wherever it was they were and complaining that others aren't.

The other thing that jumps out from that tweet and replies is the need for validation - "glad I'm not the only one" etc

I've said it many times before, but what this tweet and replies shows is how insecure and needy many Irish people are. There is most definitely a national inferiority complex out there that leads to an excessive level of virtue signalling on social media, and the reason we soak up the worst of the identity politics/culture war nonsense like a sponge - including things that we have/had no real problem with here in Ireland such as America's racial problems, transgender issues etc - and are increasingly trying to impose these issues into everyday life.

The problem is that not everyone lives and dies by twitter crusading and have no interest in having a lot of the nonsense that is leaking into society and the aggressive "you're with us or you're to be attacked and marginalised" attitude that it comes with.

Of course, while the Western world has turned inwards and is consuming itself with this stuff, other "less enlightened" countries are getting on with things and gradually supplanting the West. Even Putin's aggressive war was met with surprise and disbelief because too many ordinary people in the West couldn't get their heads around the idea that not everyone has become as "progressive" as they have - you see it in calls for NATO and even Irish involvement: a complete disconnect from the reality of what that would mean if it happened, but it plays well for Twitter likes and kudos.

TL;DR: Social media can be an occasionally useful tool to get information like the on the ground position in Ukraine for example, or as a way to get breaking news - but the "social" aspect of it often anything but and is increasingly causing more harm than good as the tweet in question shows.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

You can put that inference on it if you want. No one other than the 'tweeter' knows for sure what was being inferred (if anything). I agree that it's virtue signalling and a need for validation wrapped up together but some people don't seem to want to let it go. That's entirely up to them. Getting annoyed about it on Boards is probably just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

I see RTE are fearmongering now over long covid, they really are lower than a snakes belly, they can't stand the way things are returning to normal, they want us all back locked down and masked up.

You have to remember that the media have made a fortune from Covid-related advertising. It's in their interest to keep it going as long as they can - particularly RTE who are forever complaining about a lack of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Solutions and treatments should start to emerge for that pretty soon.

What were they saying about it? I still have symptoms seven months later. Was it fearmongering or were they reporting on something factual? I'd say it was the latter. Maybe if they don't mention it, it's not really happening? Reporting on long covid =/= wanting lockdown and masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What are your symptoms? Are they debilitating? Genuinely interested, as every single person I know who contacted Covid was perfectly fine after it. Admittedly, that's a small sample size, but long Covid seems to be greatly exaggerated in my opinion.

Advertisement