Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭ Goldengirl

I see from your signature at the end of your post ( which is getting longer every time I see it :))that you love music festivals and gigs .

Were these ones you were at and that you hope to go to?

This is one business that would /did not survive lockdowns and I never want to be stopped from going to a concert again .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭ Penfailed

Exactly! I've been to the first three of the '22 ones and the rest are yet to happen. At the last gig I was at, I was chatting to a fella I knew from years ago who was working behind the bar. He used to have a job doing sound in various venues around Belfast but all that stopped with the lockdowns and it's struggling to pick up again. He was telling me that The Odyssey venue in Belfast no longer has a rigging team for lights and sound as they all left the business and are doing other things. It's crazy to think that longer term lockdowns could have been sustained without completely crashing the economy.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, The Cure

It appears that that part of the economy certainly was crashed , others less affected . Any further wide ranging restrictions should hopefully not be needed in Ireland again with our vaccination and immunity levels . ( I caveat that with the note that noone can see the future but it's an educated guess ?)

I have a number of concerts this year 3 of which we bought tickets for in 2020.

Don't know how that works for the musicians and those in entertainment .

Have they got the money already and if so how can they now afford to tour ?

Friend and oh in the business who are now only starting to get back to some normality.

0h wow I didn't think if they were put off for another year !

Yes it is lovely , prefer a good live gig than anything else but it was very harsh on the whole entertainment industry more so than any other .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,161 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009

Yeah it was so harsh and a little bit insulting. That festival last summer where they looked like 'pigs in a pen' was some farce

Tbh the 3Arena and other indoor gigs at the time were grand and involved mostly 'mask wearing at all times, limited numbers in the foyer area and no standing allowed'. The mess of the 8pm close was really unnecessary and ruled out a lot of events

• Registered Users Posts: 68,333 ✭✭✭✭ seamus

A gig I was planning on heading too next week was postponed today due to covid so its definitely not over in that Industry (as well as many others)

There's definitely little pockets of it. I was down in Fota recently. The hotel still had a few covid protocols in place - number limits in the spa, pre-booking system in place, etc. The wildlife park still had the signs up everywhere, various things closed or postponed due to covid, etc. I suspect a lot of these things are being kept in place because they don't actually have the staff to resume full operations, but it's better PR to talk about safety.

It was kind of weird, like stepping back in time 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭ foxsake

where did "let it rip" fail?

you are making things up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,150 ✭✭✭✭ end of the road

julian the journalist asange is innocent, free julian the journalist.

nope, not a totally over blown situation at all.

the response was necessary and proportionate and the evidence backs it all up, yes some things were got wrong, some understandable and some outright stupid but the strategy of minimising virus spread has been shown to be absolutely correct.

it's you and the others spreading misinformation still dispite the fact we are back to normal who got it wrong, were always going to be wrong, and were quite rightly ignored and dismissed as it should be.

Like who ?

Norway ? No. Sweden about 8/ 9 times more

Finland , no .

IRELAND , NO ! Sweden 3 times more .

Can you say what countries you are referring to and how they are the harshest just for clarity?

Agree . These are not new variants but sub lineages of Omicron. Not causing any more severe illness or death except higher numbers .

throw the misinformation fact around when i see misinformation more like it.

i love facts, all facts, because they are fact.

sweden only had a slightly lower death rate then britain, none of the other european countries, they would have had an even lower death rate had they implemented restrictions earlier. their health system would have gone under only but for the regional authorities deciding quite rightly that enough was enough.

the deaths are stable, but not higher then they were during the pandemic phase.

the cases have been high but given this current varient is mild and is not overwhelming the health and other systems then we have no need for restrictions really, whereas during the pandemic phase when varients were severely problematic and would have overwhelmed everything then there was absolutely no option but to respond and implement the public health measures that were required.

so yes ultimately the restrictions were necessary and proportionate given the grave situation we were in at the time.

no having it both ways, just different responses based on the facts of the situation and where we were and are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭ corcaigh07

When will the recommendation for masks in healthcare settings and public transport be removed?

I was told last week by a HSE staff member in a healthcare centre that they are legally mandatory 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ Hego Damask

In Ireland you don't have to wear them in public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭ Ceepo

Sure a mask will protect you 🙄🤣

"The health department is encouraging New Yorkers to wear face masks to protect against the new virus outbreak,

Another virus, another mask! New Yorkers told to mask up again after local patient tests POSITIVE for same genus virus as monkeypox: CDC issues alert and WHO calls emergency meeting after US probes six cases while Europe confirms 100"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭ walus

It becomes very difficult to ignore who the second biggest financial contributor to W.H.O. is.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭ Red Silurian

Of course there will be future pandemics we knew that long before this latest COVID one

Anybody else catch Kingston Mills this morning talking about Monkeypox? A man who was very worried in November 2020 about what he thought looked to him like a British variant developing around the South East of England is not overly pushed about Monkeypox or this latest variant. Interesting how these things change

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭ AlekSmart

I'd suggest RTE have a Lifetime subscription....

Just look at their daily prescription of Covid related stuff,each day being ramped up a wee bit further so as Granny can stay safe in her isolation...

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2022/0524/1300794-covid-omicron-sub-variants-ba2-ba4-ba5/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭ MOH

Not sure why you're referencing the "facts of the situation" when your first statement is another outright lie.

The 7-day average for deaths was consistently 8 or higher all year up to the end of April. (I picked 8 because Holohan stated that 50 deaths a week was unacceptable as one of his criteria for extending restrictions earlier this year).

From May 2020 through to Christmas 2020, including through the entire level 5 lockdown from October, the 7-day average was less than 8.

From April 2021 through to mid-October 2021, the 7-day average was less than 8.

So yes, deaths absolutely were higher since restrictions were lifted "than during the pandemic phase", whatever that means, since we're still actually in it.

Source (which in turn is sourced from HSE data)

i reference the facts of the situation as not only are the facts of the situation the facts of the situation, but they inform us as to what is and isn't needed at a specific time.

the death numbers i gave you are correct, you are not interpreting correctly the data you are posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭ Red Silurian

Newstalk reporting today that hospital numbers have increased by almost 50% in the last 2 weeks. According to the COVID hub

14 days ago - 191

Today - 271

271/191 = 1.418

Bit of a stretch to call that "nearly 50%"

ICU figures are stable at 26

I'll be saying to my local TD's that any restrictions they approve in the Dail will result in them not getting my vote. I suggest everybody else who feels this way does the same. A quick email will suffice which is available on the Oireachtas website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ dominatinMC

Who's mentioning restrictions??

As for "de numbers", who actually gives a toss apart from the anxiety-ridden, and those in the media that need to fill the airwaves with something.

Advertisement