Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness *spoilers from post 118*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭pah

What a bunch of a55holes on youtube uploading spoilers FML, I was searching for something completely unrelated and got treated to 2 big spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It was accidental. I thought I had added the spoiler tag.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned - the film is out and anyone who doesn’t want spoilers isn’t going to be stupid enough to come to the thread now.

I don’t that this a “straight up horror” but h there great moments that only a great horror director could get right.

I don’t see any similarities to they way he shot Spider-Man.

As to to the music I wouldn’t have be able to guess it was Elfman. Thought it sounded very different but I will compare it to Batman and Spider-Man later.

I think the violence is mostly at the same level of previous MCU films (Carter’s injuries are not shown for example) but Blackbolt’s death is definitely a new level of gore and violence for the MCU.

Don’t know if it more shocking than John Walker murdering that guy with his shield though.

• Advertisement

I’m surprised Kang didn’t feature in this.

Not as as the Big Bad (because Wanda is one of the best Big Bads ever) but seeing as it is about the Multiverse I thought Strange might cross paths with for a few minutes.

Or is the timeline stuff in LOKI different to the Multiverse?

I was googling a bit myself and encountered an article about “Physician Unusual with the Multiverse of Insanities”.

Then a few more. Some people seem to be reviewing the movie while using Google Translate.

I would love to know in what countries Doctor Strange is known as Physician Unusual.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've been avoiding spoilers as best I can until I get a chance to see it next week, but I absolutely need to know this...

Does Bruce Campbell have a cameo in this? Surely he does?! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wouldn’t knowing one way or the other ruin it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Not really a fan of Dr Strange, sorcery, or the overuse of the multiverse but really liked how they approached the movie and feel they hit a great balance. I am in the US and saw it in a very large IMAX on opening night and the place erupted even more than normal during some of the cameos.

At this stage it is a tell when there is mixed reviews from critics for an MCU movie that it means that it goes a different direction than the usual formula (even slightly) and this movie does that. I'm sure there'll be some parent complaints over the next few weeks.

Given that this was originally supposed to be released before the most recent Spider-man I didn't know how they could make the stories work but they clearly just added a few lines/scenes and it flowed reasonably well if you weren't looking for it.

A lot to dig into regarding the plot and where the MCU stands now but it can wait until post spoilers.

• Advertisement

Isn’t a cameo “a brief uncredited appearance by a well known person in one scene”?

The only one that qualifies is Bruce Campbell if you allow for bit of leeway with the definition - and this is assuming he is uncredited.

Stewart, Atwell, Lynch, Elijfor and Krakinski are all listed in the credits.

And Michael Stuhlberg has some powerhouse of an agent that can him listed on the posters for this movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Far From Home broke my brain when it comes to MCU spoilers. I don't care anymore: not that I don't care about the stories that is, or what happens, but it doesn't bother me to have "X appears in Y!!" revealed before I see the film(s) anymore.

I tried to stay spoiler free for FFH for ages, knowing with kid stuff it'd be digital before I got to watching it. That's fine. I can wait. But after about a month, everyone stopped being coy on YouTube, podcasts and so on, about who appeared within. Even official clips for the home release revealed a cameo or two. Suddenly I learned the secrets without even trying, thanks to the statute of spoiler limitations becoming naddin' compared with spoilery stuff of fado.

Obviously eventually there should be a point people can talk freely but with algorithms and foreshortened lifespans of media that time is so short it's almost pointless IMO to stay spoiler free for the MCU. So I'm going the opposite now; screw it. I'm still keen to watch Sam Raimi do the MCU without fretting about who or what appears.

Obviously, goes without saying others may disagree but like I said, Far From Home just made something Switch in my head WRT spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hmmm, sounds tempting, I really like the first 2 Raimi Spiderman movies.

But it looks like I need to do some Disney+ homework to get the most out of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Saw this today wasn't overly impressed with it, I'd give it a 7/10 the final post credits scene was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Think you're trying to be a bit pedantic there - Cambridge dictionary says "a small but noticeable part in a movie or play, performed by a famous actor", while Collins says 'A cameo is a small role in a play or film which is played by a well-know actor or celebrity'.

The roles that are being called cameos here fall into those definitions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,932 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'll be honest, I enjoyed No Way Home more.

Had a couple of hours to kill between end of work and the movie so while I was in McDonald's I downloaded the Star Trek: Picard finalé to my phone and watched it before heading in. (It's relevant, trust me)

Bit of advice if you are in the Galway area and all the main cinemas are sold out. Take a chance on imc Oranmore. The 16:40 show today (Friday) had only 10 people in it (including myself). As someone who is still a bit cautious and wary about crowded enclosed spaces this was very welcome for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

An absolutely incoherent mess. Raimi must have boarded this movie with it 95 percent storyboarded because you can barely see the slightest flicker of his style here. About 5 minutes of proper Raimi, probably when Feige was in the toilet one day on set.

Almost every line of dialogue is exposition.

We are constantly told about relationships rather than shown why we should care about them.

I'm struggling to think of a character that has an actual character arc other than Wanda.

The Multiverse concept as presented by Marvel is a complete mess. On one hand Marvel treat the other universes with complete disrespect and allow countless deaths and terrible occurances in those universe as the result of hijinks from our heroes - the aftermath of which is never explored. However occasionally you actually are supposed to care about the other universes - they want to have their cake and eat it.

The movie has frighteningly little connection to the last Doctor Strange. Virtually every character in that movie is abandoned.

Everything is so utterly weightless. The visuals somehow manage to be completely drab, as usual. Marvel have really perfected that TV movie aesthetic

The MCU peaked with Infinity War and it has been one misstep after another since. We have reached a point people act like clappy seals for cameos, where throwing familiar characters on the screen is great and cheered, even if the plot that surrounds those cameos is a steaming pile of dung.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I can't be the only one who was bored for the majority of this. Felt like it a completely disjointed mess.

Also never heard an audience groan as loudly as when the 2nd end credits scene came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

It was fun but if I'm honest, it should be up against the trade descriptions act.

It's Wanda vs The Multiverse . . . Dr. Strange is a supporting actor.

Olsen was great

Is it just me or does anyone else find Benedict Cumberbatch's American accent painful, its so flat and non descript. I don't think I'd notice if he just had a line here or there but as the lead I really think his accent lends and air of inauthenticity to the character.

Elizabeth Olsen was excellent. I found the film a bit disjointed but her performance saved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm a little bit confused about the Multiverse identities...

No Way Home showed us 3 different 'people' as Peter Parker, and I mean literally the person byway of their appearance, but MoM has showed us that everybody else's 'alternate' is the same person/body? Further to that, Loki, the series, gave us Variants which I'm now assuming aren't Multiverse Variants, just Timeline Variants, so is that why they look different?

To add to that, is the Captain we see here the same Captain we meet in What If or just another variant? Come to think of it, where were the Watchers in all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,427 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think a lot of those answers will come in Ant-Man 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MOM doesn't show that everyone's alternate is the same person/body, just that those are the different multiverses they went to because even given how America can't control her powers, she's somewhat subconsciously drawn to the Dr.Strange she knows. But there are infinite multiverses with infinite variances. We got Patrick Stewart as Prof.X in this, but chances are in 4-5 years if Marvel decide to do an X-Men film, would Patrick Stewart be too old as he's already starting to really show his age in this one? So we might get a new actor as a younger Prof.X again (a full new cast).

Timeline Variants and multiverse Variants are the same thing. As in Endgame and Loki, if a change is made to the timeline that causes a split and creates a new reality. With Loki though, the variant of Kang needed to keep that one reality he was in on a specific course and keep that timeline in check. If a significant change was made to the universe he was in then the knock-on effect would have meant things could have happened outside his control/calculations.

Ultimately though, it's because they're just pulling from what we know. We got three different versions of Peter of different ages because we already knew them so it wasn't jarring. If Dr.Strange went to another reality in MOM and there was a version of him played by Bruce Campbell, it wouldn't work as well as seeing two versions of the Strange we know facing off. Having Cumberbatch as all the Variants we see in MOM shows where his power and obsessions can lead the version of Strange that we already know.

I take it that it's a probably a different Captain. As for the Watchers, they mostly don't interfere. The Watcher in What If only interfered because Ultron with the infinity stones would have destroyed every reality and so The Watcher interfering to stop it was less of a rule break than Ultron destroying all existence. Wanda in MOM wasn't doing anything on that level.

Post edited by Penn on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I'm wondering with all the mentions of incursions , is this how they are going to introduce Mutants and Fantastic Four to the MCU. In the most recent Secret Wars comics Event from 2015, they used it to bring Miles Morales from the Ultimate Universe to Earth 616, they could do the same here.

Yeah seems like it could be the next big storyline for the overall MCU, especially if they're bringing in Charlize Theron. It'll also allow them to bring in the likes of X-Men and F4 without doing a big origin story or trying to retcon things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: No need for spoiler tags from here on. Proceed with caution if you haven’t seen the film!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Christine, Mordo, Wanda and Strange are all the same person based on physical attributes, and so are the other Stranges that we saw. That's where its getting slightly confusing IMO. By that logic, all three Peter Parkers should have been Tom Holland, and so should all of the Lokis have been Tom Hiddleston. I understand that the Variants are not Multiversal, moreso they're just a different reality which would make sense for Spidey but NWH specifically mentions it being a Multiversal event.

Outside of that though, I found it a brilliant watch and I was seriously surprised at how much it pulled me in.

• Advertisement

It was, good. Out of the post end game movies I'd rate it maybe 3rd behind Far from Home and Shang Chi, slightly ahead of Black Widow and well ahead of Eternals. (Not that I think Eternals is the worst of all time, Even Marvel forget about Incredible Hulk)

I knew so little about America Chavez that I thought it was the actor's name, not the character, coming into this. Incidentally I was watching the last episode of Star Trek: Picard before heading in so Patrick Stewart was already at the forefront of my thoughts. I suspect the reason Anson Mount is helmeted as Black Bolt throughout is because he was made up to look like his Christopher Pike for his own Star Trek series Strange New Worlds and the helmet hides all that.

Advertisement