Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness *spoilers from post 118*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Big cameo leaked today...

Don't seem to have the ability to include spoilers but it's all over Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Think it's time to go dark until I see the film on Thursday. Will be staying away from twitter and deleting YouTube history so no spoilers show in recommendations feed

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A couple of major surprise appearances leaked all over twitter as someone videoed a preview on their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Early reviews from trusted sources on letterboxd seem to hint that Raimi's touch is there, albeit watered down slightly - but still overall having a more authorial voice than most MCU films. Reads more interested in the overall MCU path than the story itself but still. Glad to hear Raimi's - now give him another blank cheque people! Quick and the Dead 2 please lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some of the reviews I’ve read form Irish and UK critics have been surprisingly harsh - and from critics who are often more generous towards the MCU than a lot of others! Seems like a mixed bag quality wise, and the very broad range of reviews so far certainly echo that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Looks like its def a mixed bag of reviews- will be interesting to see how it plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm amazed at the actors who manage to play these roles with conviction. I think Cumberbatch does a great job as a convincing Doctor Strange. No mean feat. But it seems to be drowning in CGI. Probably best to see it in the cinema so.

A low key, grounded movie, with Raimi directing would be very interesting. Maybe like the Captain America Winter Soldier (minus the last bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

When I hear of a million cameos it doesn't fill me with hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah ok, just was going by the few reviewers I'm following on letterboxd; TBH I'm mostly just glad Raimi's back and supposedly still using his box of tricks. Mostly holding out hope success yields more opportunities for Raimi (if he's interested mind you. The guy made a mint from his TV Overlord days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just a heads up for anyone who doesnt want to be spoiled, stay away from Youtube, there are 'shorts' that autoplay and are titled to give away whats happening.

I'm not fussed myself, but I know a lot of folk like to go in with as clean a slate as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

There's a certain type of MCU fan that only wants that. I've seen people online say that an MCU movie wasn't great, but then X appeared in the credits! Really... that makes it worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The funny thing is it reminds me of when a TV show starts to run out of ideas. Get a famous guest star.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am going to see this today :)

Will report back if it is any good or not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Disappointing movie and not quite the 'traditional super hero' flick

So a few of the rumoured cameos nowhere to be seen and the somewhat flat introduction of FF Reed Richards and Xmens Professior X. No mention of any of the rest of the characters from there universes. Bit confusing about this whole multiverse and the fact will the other films actually matter now knowing that events can just be changed at the flick of a finger. Never heard of Block Bolt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was fun. For your information the film is just short of two hours long.

There is some humour in it.

Do you have to have seen the "What If" series I would say no but it would help

There is some bits where it drags but the action scenes more than make up for that.

Also there is apost credits scene midway.

Still watching the credits

So there is an end credits scene but nothing worth waiting for unless you want a laugh. It has to do with one of the scenes we're Doctor Strange does something to someone in the film that is not really significant but if you want to wait for all the credits to see that end that is it.

Best part was,

Patrick Stewart appearing as Professior Xavior in it.

I honestly had no idea.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That was great fun and it’s a Raimi movie for sure.

Elizabeth olsen is awesome in this.

So the inhumans series is now cannon i guess in the multiverse it will be interesting to see will they bring the fantastic 4 and x-men into earth 616 or will they leave them in other verses and have them jump universes to fight a big bad

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Scarlet Witch definitely steals this, found myself drifting off after about 45 minutes it picks up all the way throughout but definitely has its dull points. The cast is amazing can't wait until Saturday or Sunday when the thread opens up for proper discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Definitely tell everyone you know to avoid YouTube for the next few days the spoilers and very descriptive clips are everywhere on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

A cracking movie. A lot of fun.

Cumberbatch and Wong are brilliant as always. Xochitl Gomez (had to copy & paste that) is great and America Chavez is a very likeable addition to the MCU.

However, Elizabeth Olsen is absolutely tremendous.

I expected some alternate Earth heroes and villains just based on the title but I went in spoiler free and there a few unexpected but very welcome appearances. I was very surprised to see Patrick Stewart roll out as I thought Feige would want to reboot the X-Men completely. I know this doesn’t mean Stewart is going to be the MCU Professor X but many will expect it now. John Krakiski (?) is very welcome as Reed Richard and I hope Emily Blunt will be Sue Storm but I enjoyed Hayley Atwell as the First Avenger most of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don’t think it will considered cannon but they simply wanted Anson Mount (who I didn’t recognise at all inter the mask) back because he is awesome.

None if the pre-Disney+ shows nor Fox’s X-Men franchise are canon but they all have actors that good enough to get another go at the roles.,

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Well done lad i put it in a spoiler for a reason and then you go and tell everyone what the spoiler is and probably ruined the surprise appearane for others trying to avoid them you now go on my ignore list

There is always one who tells everyone they want to avoid spoilers and then as soon as the see it they have no problem spoiling it for everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, the movie is out. That's always the stage where it becomes a person's own fault for entering the thread and reading a spoiler.

Can only really echo what others have said; Elizabeth Olsen is tremendous and outshines everyone. The surprises are fun and don't detract too much focus, and I was worried beforehand that with all the multiverse stuff there'd be very little character work, but I thought they balanced it quite well.

Raimi's fingerprints are all over the film anyway, which is great. I felt some parts of the horror were a bit overdone and on the nose but nothing too jarring.

I thought it was great. Not top-tier, but better than a lot of the recent films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Spoiler tags added. We’ll put a general spoiler warning up in a day or two but just use tags for now for people who want some early impressions.

To add tags, select the text you want to spoiler, use the little flag button (bottom left of comment box on mobile / to left of comment box on desktop), select the quotation mark symbol and the spoiler option will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This is a straight up horror movie. It is laced with jump scares and a lot of gruesome visuals. I’d say be very careful bringing any kids that get scared easily.

It’s unmistakably a Sam Raimi film. It’s almost annoyingly similar to the Tobey Maguire Spiderman films in the way it is shot. The score from Danny Elfman again will remind you of Michael Keatons Batman and Tobey Maguires Spiderman films.

I liked it. Definitely something different to what we are used to but my own personal dislike for the Raimi style made me like it less than i hoped for.

If you go into this film having no knowledge of what happened in Wandavision then you will be missing some very important back story to where Wanda’s head is at. Even if you don’t want to watch Wandavision in full then watch the last two episodes. That’ll give you most of it.

There are a few fun nods to the What If animated series relating to the multiverse but it is not necessary viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've been to a good few opening nights for MCU films before but I can't remember the audience gasping so loud in awe when

the reveal of John Krasinski as Mr Fantastic!

I went in pretty much blind except for the trailers and I was like WOAH!!

So.. anyway. Just back from seeing it in the IMAX in Cineworld. That was some rock solid Doctor Strangey Multiversey of Madnessey! 🙂

It definitely had some shock violence moment for a MCU film I though. Not sure how that might affect folks with younger kids.

I thought the story was done well and was considering placing the baddie somewhere into the top 3 or 5 for the MCU.

Definitely helps to have seen Doctor Strange, WandaVision and What If...? before this.

Credits scenes were a mid scene which was bigger-story based and an end credit in-the-moment scene which the audience reacted to as intended. Both felt worth it for different reasons. Not a soul budged from their seats in my showing until after the end credits scene which was kinda cool.

I'm intrigued to know

who that was Charlize Theron is playing!

.. and I google.. and it's... Oooooooooooohhhhh that's a new one to me..

Clea .. who wiki says becomes Doctor Clea Strange! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I enjoyed that movie wayyyy too much.. As said Olsen steals the show, but Dr Strange and Wong are excellent too.

some really great surprises. Loved the end credit scene. I was googling the crap out of stuff for ages last night. Well done MCU.

Looking forward to the discussion when the spoilers are lifted, but anyone who enters this thread, after the movie is out, and they haven't seen it yet, really have only themselves to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jo187

I liked it but can see it spliting people. I found the tone a little off at the start. Like Rami senses clashing with the MCU vibe.

The second half I think is a lot better aa it feels more Rami is in full control. There is not a lot of reality jumping and cameos as I thought they would be given the title and what trailer were hinting at.

It's the least "funny" mcu film I can think of. Of course humor is subjective. But I felt it was not even trying to go for humor for most of the film.

Advertisement