Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

That makes no sense. You believe that most opponents to this amnesty are not contributing? Explain that in a little more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Bit mental all this.

We have immigration laws for a reason I'm sure. When somebody breaks said law, they shouldn't be getting rewarded.

We have plenty able body people sitting on their ass collecting welfare that should be doing the jobs illegals are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Be good if there was a standard few lines people could consider basing their own complaints on. Might motivate others to get moving on their own concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm expressing my opinion. I will continue to express it whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I was speaking to a owner of a busy Dublin pub last night, he's probably in his early 30s, and he was telling me he still lives at home with his parents even though he owns/run a successful bar. We're going to end up like Asian cultures, where several generations all live under the same roof soon due to what's happening here. Once if you paid enough you could get somewhere to live in most instances, now days money doesn't even make much of a difference.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

the gap between the haves and have nots will widen

The "haves" will be expected to support/provide for the "have nots", until most people become "have nots", due to rising taxes and costs of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It has likely been noted that these illegals will not have to worry about homelessness or income, unlike any Irishman or woman fallen on hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,390 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How does that work?

The haves pay more in direct taxation overall (salaries, property tax, etc), and having more consumer power, will also pay more in indirect taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Wanting proper immigration laws is not racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Are you going to join the list of posters trying to put words in my mouth. I never stated anything of the sort, so I am not sure why you felt the need to direct this statement at me.

Are you doubting racists are a minority in Ireland?

I'm questioning your shoddy logic, and to even answer the question is to enter a midfield, because your "racist" and normal peoples usage of the term is very different.

Normal persons interpretation: I don't blacks, I don't like Jews= racist

Yours: We should reduce mass immigration because of cultural cohesion, cost of living, rise in crime= racist

My initial post made no judgment on the numbers, I've spoken many times before that it's somewhat hard to gauge, which is why it's best not to engage with you in most instances, as you rarely answer questions, while asking many questions of others about things that have never been said.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭eggy81

We’re heading for the same issues that plague the uk and ultimately the same political turmoil they find themselves in because our own government/political class just keep finding new ways to make us more angry.

Exactly, don't do it. And even post Brexit, Britain cannot control it's borders, with criminals profiting from the sorry tale. It's bad news all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I believe there are very few racists in Ireland. I also believe that if the government put this amnesty to the people, an overwhelming majority would vote against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

Liberalism is a Trojan Horse.

With modernization and new tech you'd honestly wonder if it was possible for some sort of system without politicians, or at least a great reduction in their numbers, where the people can vote on every issue via their phone or something. I know we might be years away from that yet, but surely it's possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’m not walking around fuming in day to day life, fair enough. But they just keep making nonsense decisions that cost us more and more money. It will eventually come home to roost. When sf or whoever win the next election and inevitably go on to be even worse than Ffg, a vacuum for more extreme right wing views will eventually be created imo. It’s the path we are on.

They could, but the "far right fascist" Tories simply don't do anything about it. They've been absolutely terrible on immigration.

• Advertisement

That's the real reason Boris is on the way out, it's not really just about parties, it's been coming for a year or two now.

Just like with Brexit. It's the immigration stupid.

It's amazing how inept they are considering how easy they have it. They literally had to do one thing to appease their voters, and they didn't do anything but speak about it, so he deserves everything he gets. I've never liked him anyway, so I'll not be sad to see him go, but whoever replaces him won't be much better. It's much like Ireland, the same ****, but different politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

TomTomTim why are you lying about what I have posted. That is not my opinion and I would appreciate it if you didn't lie about me in your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,075 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We are, and my Aunt over there said to me 15 years ago….it’s all coming to you too. Wasn’t wrong. A lifelong labour supporter, a liberal but she saw the unwillingness her government had to clamp down on illegal immigration.

The key weakness of the amnesty proposal is that it will encourage further illegal immigration. Rather than solve the problems it will simply transfer them to a successor group of illegals. This is the very clear lesson of various amnesty schemes elsewhere in the world… but we are not heeding history…or some of us are not.

Who decides what the issues are and do you think it’s democratic to have no platform for discussion , debate, no parliament where people to some degree are held to account ? You’d like issues decided on by way of some reality tv style vote ? Interesting… wholly undemocratic, but, interesting. I think that would require a change in our constitution and a referendum…. The PR system is enshrined in the constitution so I doubt downloading an app and voting can change it…

People could submit the issues that matter to them, if it hits a certain target, it could move forward. The debate element is weak, because there hardly is any in Irish parliament as is, not real debate anyway, this whole policy supports that position. New methods could be created to get around those things. The bit about the constitution makes no sense either, as I said reset, a reset would obviously result in a new constitution. Anyway, I wasn't writing an academic essay on it man, I was just throwing out an idea, obviously it would need far more thought.

A reset can’t result in a new constitution…? the constitution is to be changed a referendum needs to happen..

’you’ll be worse off, but you’ll be paying to make these folks better off’… not a very convincing argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

I'm finding it hard to believe this all came from McEntee herself, it smells of someone like Varadkar being behind it. She is a light weight, like Mary Coughlan before her & the incompetent Mary Harney.

First the MUP & now this, hare brained just isn't in it.

Varadkar is certainly responsible for appointing her to that job, where she hasn't a clue.

You're right his paw prints are probably all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Here here

people need to stop voting ff fg sf Labour greens soc Dems if they want a change re immigration

Advertisement