Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Economics101

Registration does not negate free movement. If I move to live of work in France I have to register with the authorities after a certain number of days. The UK and Ireland have always been very relaxed in keeping track of people. Maybe something to do with being Islands, we think we can control things at the frontier.

Meaning we have enough criminals of our own and we dont need to be importing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

This is an insult to irish people most who value citizenship to throw passports at many who are liers, country of choice migrants and pasport holders of 1 or more countries already.

Then let them all insundry and their dependents inc elderly sick and with zero langurage or skills.

This can only be a hugh bill and drag on exsisting resources to the state.

Heapes more to follow after this charade

• Advertisement

I don't want to derail the thread but where are you getting those figures from? I'd be interetested, I am seeing totally different percentages on the Irish prison service website.

If you read court reports you would notice the very high percentage of non nationals before the courts particularly in cases involving sexual assault.

If men come from a country where they think they have a god given right to assault women they they will do the same in whatever country they land in.

They will find out here they will face the Law if they caught but at that point they have ruined the life of the woman they have attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What made me laugh during the week is Coveney on about the Russians in our economic waters. Yep bring up sovereignty and country when it suits the ****.

The hypocrisy is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

100%-17% are apparently non-Irish nationals as mentioned above, so that gives you 83% who are.

I'm going to have to give you a "lol" again. I just asked where the stats are coming from, because the stats I see from the Irish prison service are completely different.

• Advertisement

Not questioning what other countries do but nobody has made a case as to why we need to do anything similar. PPSN unofficially takes care of a lot of it.

You can lol away. That 17% came from another poster who I responded to. If you have different numbers then please share them as they seem to be very key metrics for some posters for some reason.

A question here and maybe I'm thick but how does one who is an illegal in a country go about proving they've lived here for 4 years?

Fair enough, was just wondering where that figure came from.

The figures I see are from the Irish Prison service, available on their website, dating all the way back to 2007. Currently committed prisoners with Irish Nationality are 76.8% of the total. I believe the percentage of people living in Ireland with Irish Nationality is currently 88%.

Non Irish nationals make up 23.2% of the prison population despite being 12% of the population. So they are represented at almost double their size.

The Irish prison service breaks that down further into narrower sub groups and the percentages will become even more lob-sided for some.

17k illegals would be a case to show that we do need similar practices. Although, tbh, I think there's a variety of methods we could implement to determine who was here without needing such a registration process, but there simply isn't much interest in doing so.

Why do we have requirements, at all, when it comes to visas, and those wanting to come to Ireland? Why do we determine if someone has the right to work here? Shouldn't we simply open up the country to everyone who wants to come here, dropping the requirements entirely?

Those requirements are there to protect society and the economy.

Invoices/receipts would be my guess, along with witness statements from others.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if employers/landlords who provided for the illegal migants would be exempt from prosecution if they provided evidence that the migrant was here for those four years.

This is one to watch, in case all that is needed is a declaration.....if that's the case watch the country flood

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The more I think about this scheme, the more questions I have:

Will the thousands of businesses who have been evading paying tax for their illegal immigrant employees now be freely allowed to employ other illegals in order to keep their business model going and profit margins up?

Will there be any compensation for employers who didn't evade tax and employee illegal immigrants who saw their businesses suffer because they couldn't compete on a level playing ground with businesses who were evading tax?

Are there any businesses involved in employing illegal immigrants and evading tax who are connected to members of the 3 government parties? If so will the minister for justice take action?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The 2004 jus soli referendum returned a 79% vote in favour of closing that loophole to passport hunters. Was that an 'ordinary' referendum? Were they all 'racists' too? Some in the media of the time thought so.

Indeed, it was 2% higher. I should have said "one of" and then you wouldn't have had to clutch at straws rather than address the point as usual. This still stands though: Both repeal the 8th and the same sex marriage referendums had lower winning margins and we consider them 'landslide' victories. So would you consider the 04 referendum result a 'landslide' victory? It seems that term is largely only applicable when it mirrors one's own politics. I voted on the winning side in all three so...

I suppose as ever this debate will go down the same pulghole with the pro immigration side shouting 'racists!' like McCarthy shouting commies! as a way of avoidance and displacement, with a sideorder of exoticism and misplaced charity. If there are NGO jobs going the CV is complete.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

This is it. Think shes stirring up a big rat's nest to be honest only she doesn't realise it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Was that an 'ordinary' referendum? Were they all 'racists' too?

No it wasn't an ordinary referendum. 🤣

Wibbs there are two types of referendum in Ireland. An ordinary referendum and a constitutional referendum. The 2004 like every other referendum held in this state was a constitutional referendum and was called to make an amendment to the constitution.

You are calling for a referendum and making no mention of changing anything in the constitution so one can only assume you want an ordinary referendum of which there have been none held in this state.

In order to call an ordinary referendum you would need the support of the majority of the Seanad and 1/3 of the Dail. There is nothing like that support. In fact I would say that none of the parties represented in the Dail or Seanad would support such a call.

The national party might but they don't have any elected representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Tow

Read my post again 'Closer to 100k than 17k'.

My source, well I am married to a 'foreign national', I hear with my own ears. There are loads here, invited over by family members on tourist visas or expired work visas and living under the radar.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Listen to Ivana Bacik's pronouncements on people who voted for that referendum.

Yet some of those same people went away and voted her into office recently.

People need to research who they are voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Answer the question. All your doing is being pedantic and sidestepping as per usual.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ya sure because they have no votes….. oh wait..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is how empty the NGO followers argument is. And we have seen this throughout when the subjects of immigration, multiculturalism, direct provision etc come up, and here it comes again.

It always boils down to charity, exoticism, the Irish wuz immigrants too! and you're all racists!! to suggest otherwise. Add in avoiding the knotty points and finally going rogue and the picture is pretty complete Now those who do suggest otherwise, that this sociopolitical experiment has issues have their fair share of headbangers too, but there is far more meat on the bone as far as actual arguments go.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,587 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Indeed, it was 2% higher. I should have said "one of" and then you wouldn't have had to clutch at straws rather than address the point as usual.

What you stated as fact was indeed not a fact but you have decided to blame me for that because I pointed it out? Cool.

As for addressing your point, from what I can tell you are claiming that we will never have a referendum on immigration policy like we had in 2004 because

The problem is our political landscape. The days of 'the parish' and nepotistic gombeenism are still with us.

Was this not true 20 years ago when we had the actual referendum?

The reason I didn't highlight that point is because at best it is inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

You would prove easily that you were in Ireland by providing 4 years worth of bank statements. Just because you are illegal doesn't mean you don't have identification or get a utility bill put into your name

• Advertisement

The Progressive Democrats and Micheal McDowell drove that one, FF supported them, FG did too, but wouldn't campaign for it. Labour, the Greens, Sinn Fein called it 'racist' as did NGO's. It was quite the blip.

Nonetheless, if I had added "one of" to that post of mine you'd have had nothing to come back with. As usual.

Advertisement