Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agreed. She hasn’t a breeze and it’s fairly clear Leo is pulling her strings in background

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Who should we vote for if we want a more robust immigration system?

Serious question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

How about letting the people decide? Doesn’t Belgium or Switzerland have a system where a vote is put to the people if something gets a certain number of signatures? But of course turkeys don’t vote for Xmas. Can’t be the best boys of Europe if you follow the will of the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Hamachi

That’s the issue. There isn’t an alternative to the group think that permeates political circles in Ireland. The Overton window is incredibly narrow in this country.

My gut tells me that change will eventually be imposed by external forces. A significant number of our EU partners are stepping away from unfettered immigration policies. They are unlikely to look kindly on a rogue, peripheral state. Furthermore, the cohort of cowards who comprise our ‘political elite’ will crap their knickers if there is any danger of them missing out on roles within the EU, when they are finally booted out of the domestic scene.

For my part, I’m in total disbelief that somebody as untalented as Helen McEntee can ascend to her current position. She clearly does not possess the intellectual horse power to inhabit that role. People like her wouldn’t last six months in the private sector. It truly is a damning indictment of our political representatives.

Post edited by Hamachi on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nobody, because they all are pandering to an increase in population for different reasons..

FF/FG - more people is more money for businesses, more people buying things and the cost of labour is driven down. They want to help the money boys and girls…always have, always will…

SF/SD - more appearances of helping minority communities is an increased vote share…its not philanthropic it’s fill ballot boxes.

so the ordinary man and woman on the street is getting stiffed in biblical proportions…from both sides…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 hustlenbustle

I think that's a really good question. If you want a robust immigration system who is here to vote for?

As to the amnesty _ I agree with it. There are those working hard here with children born here who need to be made legal.

However I am a bit wary of the family unification side of it. Does it mean that parents , grandparents, cousins etc willxall be brought over. Who will end up paying for them? I hope these a limit to this.

However equally I think there are some people who need to be removed from our country. Some who lie to try and stay here. Make up stories of treacherous lives etc. That are not true. We need to have better enforcement of removals. Anyone with a criminal record, rapist, thief etc. Needs to go. Anyone who lies, produces false information or was already resident in another country needs to be put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Problem is, you can’t discriminate because person A has a two year old and person B doesn’t.

i don’t even think that’s legal…

so it’s all or nothing.

here illegally, there can only be one recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The cost of a referendum to the state is about 25 million.

we are a democratic country with elected representatives… who should be of the ability to do what’s best for the people of Ireland without pîssing 25 million up against a wall anytime a contentious issue is on the table.. this is about doing the right thing not the popular thing…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No, it’s about following the will of the people. Politicians are voted for, and paid by, the citizens. They are supposed to be representative of those citizens, not see themselves as our betters and do what they think might be best for us. People have forgotten this.

then every decision should be voted on by the public…

that’s not practical.

they are not betters correct, but they are charged with acting in ‘our’ best interests, the citizens of Ireland,

a change to the constitution requires a referendum… 25 million a throw.

25 million once or twice a year is alot cheaper than the stunts that have been pulled since even before the bank bailout

Anyway Switzerland has proven it can be done, while our politicians only act in the interests of whoever provides their donations and whoever is doing the lobbying

Then don't discriminate. Simply ensure that the Amnesty is only extended to people in the country at the time of the Amnesty... and ensure that the Amnesty does not extend rights beyond what legal migrants already have. In that they have to jump through the established hoops if they want family members to join them, and also to adequately be able to provide for them without supports.

We really need some common sense to be applied to this Amnesty, removing all the feel-good measures. They want the illegals to be normalised, and be given the legal status to stay in Ireland.. just treat them the same as any other limited-term visa migrant. No more, no less.

It's only impractical because it hasn't been attempted.

The moment any democratic system is implemented, some politicians involved will work towards increasing the power/protections of the politicians and limit/reduce the power of the electorate. As time goes by, that becomes normalised, and more changes are made to protect politicians in their positions, essentially detracting from the democratic element of the system... just as the huge bureaucracy of the civil service ends up acting independent of the electorate, and reports to the politicians. Invariably, politicians and their families become an elite because of the generations that end up in politics, and the need to get support from the parties in order to get anything done.

Such a system could be implemented, due to the marvels of technology... but it's never going to happen in Ireland. Our politicians would never give up the power/influence they have.

A lot better ways to spend 25 million….that will benefit those who amassed it.

It's amazing how many posters.are still happy with our country having so many people living here that we don't know!

If we gave everyone of the people you speak of a home, know about them, make them documented / legal….the system has worked for them, circumventing the rules has been of benefit, it’s paid off…..so more will presume it will for them too…more will arrive, the same thing will happen and it’s a vicious circle….

They benefit, while Irish people will be secondary in the line for what they need from their government..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Its not so much immigration for me its law, order, justice.

I would like existing laws enforced regarding immigration and not ignored because its difficult.

I feel the same about the need for longer sentencing, and deterring anti social behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McEntee is one of Leo's "new FG" generation of twitter-led, trend-following, exceptionally weak and unqualified politicians - ditto Harris and (before he quit after barely surviving 2 motions of no confidence) Eoghan Murphy.

The idea that some are suggesting that this woman could be a future Taoiseach is frankly ridiculous, but not surprising in an era where identity politics and quotas are far more important than actual competence or performance. It's exactly the same as the way much was made of Leo's sexual preferences, age, and racial background when he became Taoiseach as a sign of how far we'd come - not so much said about his complete lack of results in the 2 ministries he held in Enda Kenny's government though!

She should never have been elected a TD in the first place, but we can blame the electorate in Meath for that and the sympathy voting because her father passed away.

Anyway...

This latest move is exactly what is to be expected when this is the calibre of TD we have at the cabinet table and spits in the face of any hard-working migrant who is living, working, and contributing here legally and who arrived through the proper channels, to say nothing of the message it sends to Irish natives.

It also fits with the EU notion of diluting national borders and cultural identity and the ongoing attempts to drive to a USofE superstate, and the damage that particularly Angela Merkel did over the last few years with her attempts to replace Germany's aging workforce with anyone who rocked up in a dingy in the Med, no questions asked!

Even more concerning is the lack of debate or even clear support in the country for this idea or a lot of the other policies that are being enacted. Even on this forum the only reasons being offered are some notion of it being the right thing to do, comparisons to illegal Irish in the US (who should likewise be sent home or elsewhere if they don't legally qualify to remain), and suggestions or inference that anyone not on-board is a big racist or xenophobe.

The fact that these agenda crusaders in Leo's camp are in positions of real power in Government is extremely worrying as measures like this will have far reaching consequences that they themselves will never have to deal with, and we've already seen the consequences of our weak borders in certain parts of Dublin and elsewhere - which also doesn't get enough coverage for the same reasons as above.

This country has never done self-governing particularly well (and tries to abdicate responsibility at every turn - to the Church, to the EU), but combined with a national "need" for approval from elsewhere, TDs and agenda-politics like this will make this country unrecognisable in only a few decades - it's already happening - and for what? Likes on twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

More fake news and disinformation about passports 😐

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not at all, and this arguing over semantics that I've seen through this thread on that particular subject is weak in the extreme.

They may not get a new passport with their amnesty but it will clear the road for them to apply for one through citizenship if they're already here long enough.

Fully expect to see more regular RTE reports on the latest bunch to be given this privilege based on no more than "time served" (which is probably very ironic in some cases given the further loosening of the criteria/checks needed to stay here).

Lots of concern here about 'the will of the people' being ignored by our elected politicians. I suspect these 'people' are the ones who say 'it's true for ye Mick' down the pub.

Interesting that so far the only suggestion for an alternative party to vote for was Renua, the brainchild of Lucinda 'keep the eight' Crettin and Eddie 'I'll mind yer money' Hobbs.

Weak alternatives do not excuse weak politicians in the main parties. Plus in the age of Confidence & Supply and outright coalition between the "big 2", any supposed power the electorate has at the ballot box has been further diluted as Irish politics has become further fragmented - partly because of our wholesale importing of US-led identity politics and culture wars, and the younger generation of TDs chasing trends on social media.

If someone is legally here long enough to apply for citizenship, then that is a good thing. The fact that someone living here feels strongly enough to become a citizen, can only be an asset to the country.

Depends, some just want an EU passport others access to UK. It would be nice to think they want to stay and offer their skills and talents but it's naive to think this is always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Nonsense, as usual. Wanting citizenship doesn't equate to being a great citizen, it can, but there's a lot of comforts that come with citizenship that even the worst potential citizens will want. It's honestly odd how someone whose spent a lot of time on earth, can have such a black and white view of nearly everything, as it's very juvenile.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Once they are here legally, then they have that access. I don't have any issue with someone living here wanting an EU passport, why shouldn't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The rate Ireland is going, with barely a dissenting voice to mass migration, it will be lucky to keep the Common Travel Area with Britain. If Britain eventually gets to seal up it's borders, as is the will of the people, it will not want Ireland as the weakest link in it's defence.

100,000 coming in is not an insignificant or trivial amount, even to big countries. The whole Russia/Ukraine thing has the world in a tizzy over 100,000 Russian troops stationed on the border.

Advertisement