Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wibbs

"The 2004 jus soli referendum returned a 79% vote in favour of closing that loophole to passport hunters. Was that an 'ordinary' referendum? Were they all 'racists' too? Some in the media of the time thought so."

My recollection of that referendum is that the argument for changing the automatic right of those born here was based on evidence that foreign nationals, including some who were pregnant, were travelling here to avail of the 'loophole'.

I never knew that FG supported it but wouldn't campaign for it. Always playing games, then and now 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was indeed. That automatic right was a major loophole and one that was exploited. When the loophole was closed there was quite the fall off in people showing up from outside the EU.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So the main parties supported it? I don't see how that backs up your assertion.

Nonetheless, if I had added "one of" to that post of mine you'd have had nothing to come back with. As usual.

Your right, if you didn't state 'alternative facts' I wouldn't have informed the thread of the actual facts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plausible deniability for those in the media who would otherwise support them. Politics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Yes less than one percent difference in one referendum, just over two in another. It was still a clear message and one that passed by a higher percentage than either the SSM and 8th referendums. Hang on, why the hell am I even engaging with your usual deflection guff? It's a well worn path of yours. I'll not follow you down it again.

Yes the Irish electorate contains quite a few 'racist rats' who have short memories about times of mass Irish emigration that weren't always 'legal'.

But that didn't apply to them, their friends or anyone they knew so they didn't benefit. Well I've news for them, everyone in Ireland benefited from the reduction in surplus labour and/or social welfare demand.

I think you know that the answer is no to each of those questions.

Gardai have been known to find illegal workers and release them rather than deporting them. As such, I suspect the employers aren't punished either, otherwise we would have seen a few articles at some stage about those employers. I've seen nothing about such employment, from the perspective of punishing those who employ illegal workers....

The sense I get is that we're mirroring Merkels desire for mass immigration, with the Irish politicians wanting increased numbers of migrants to be here, and ultimately, gain citizenship. So, the businesses/employers involved won't be punished.

Think on this one... We have NGOs whose sole purpose is to represent/support migrants here, and who provide a range of services to illegal migrants.. publicly. These aren't hidden services, but announced proudly. How come these NGOs haven't had their govt investment/supports redrawn, or been investigated for enabling illegal practices in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Two of biggest pedantic posters in the history of boards are on this thread, all we need is auld Alistair to pop up and we've a trifecta😇

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Advertisement

Can you prove this? Do you have a singed letter from every journalist and politician in the country that supports your statement? If not, it's clearly false.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Me. Earlier: It always boils down to charity, exoticism, the Irish wuz immigrants too! and you're all racists!! to suggest otherwise.

Always the same innacurate tune. With the exception of the UK, where social welfare was in play in the post war years, everywhere else the Irish did emigrate to they had to hit the ground running or live on the streets. The majority were also legal migrants going to ex European colonies looking for cheap labour. Of the illegal ones? They should be counted and deported if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

What makes a referendum on immigration racist?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I could get even more 'pendantic' TTT but I'll resist the temptation. 😁

I don't care, if boards is here in 50 years, my post will not be too far away from reality. There's few other outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Your good like the way ya turned that post. Bla bla racism. Irish emigrated bla bla blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Please go to 2 decimal places in future people - 79.45% is not 80%. It'll save 30 posts of nitpicking n nobody wants that- don't they?!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Look at the bright side dude. If an Irish Hitler does arrive on the scene you've a good chance of landing a lucrative gig as a speech writer. They'd lap up stuff like "Progressive"Ireland is going to get put into a grave in the future and pissed on by every ethnic Irish person for centuries". Money in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Advertisement

I think a million plus emigrated when the spuds packed in, surely we should take in the same amount to balance things out.

Get to Twitter lad n let's get this done.

It would be a handy number wouldn't it, getting paid to right propaganda for a tyrant? There's a lot worse jobs out there.

Well.. if we're supposed to be balancing Irish immigration, shouldn't that mean we encourage immigration from countries where Irish people did end up in? (i.e. mostly other western nations) Can't imagine that many Irish people ended up in Nigeria or Syria to balance the numbers that have come from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Let's face it, the overwhelming result of 2004 Amendment has stuck in the craws of the Radical Left/NGO Industrial Complex for the last 17 years. In that time, Irish people have also gotten to see the results of "Diversity" across Europe in glorious technicolour. So they can accurately see that the public attitude to this is going to be nothing short of hostile. Throw in the upcoming bill for Covid, an increase in taxes and reduction in services, and that hostility will grow.

There is no chance in hell this group wants the public involved in any decision re: Migration. Hence all the cloak-and-dagger, behind-the-scenes activity to railroad policy through. Such as this Amnesty. And O'Gorman's fantasy. The Government is currently trying to outmaneuver "Woke" (lol) Fein, and gain kudos in the media, by implementing this idiocy. And the legal parasites will make a fortune. It's win-win for all stakeholders except the stakeholder that really matters.

The taxpayer.

So start holding your politicians to account for this stuff. Email them, tweet them, petition them and if they don't reply, don't vote for them. And tell them that you won't.

It's probably racist, best not to bother. I can't see sorcha pollak too bothered about doing a new to the parish article about Craig n Jo from the Wirral either!

A sizable proportion of Irish emigrants to America in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s were 'illegals ' or 'undocumented ' which was the preferred term in Ireland. This is a simple fact but it's portrayed as irrelevant in this current debate by those it suits. You can argue as to whether doing so is down to national amnesia or something more sinister.

To put it in your terms 'the Irish wuz illegals too'

In fact many still are.

And I am fully behind the Americans or any other country chucking them out if they're illegal.

Not one person has ever denied the fact that Irish people live in America illegally, we've all dealt with the arguments hundreds of times, yet you're pretending that we're not even aware of it for ideological reasons? Desperate stuff.

Or my good friend Vlad for Russia, who loves God, and doesn't have much time for secular liberals.

• Advertisement

And that's fine on an individual basis but I still find it interesting that apparently so many on here waited till this recent announcement to call for the thousands of illegal Irish to be chucked out of America.

Where were they all hiding the last five decades of so?????

Advertisement