Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The country is going down the tubes very fast, parts of Dublin are already turning into ghettos , look at Tyrrellstown in west Dublin, North Circular road, Dorset street.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,080 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A very accurate and succinctly put post.

if my life was in danger here, I’m unlikely to be going 4000 miles away to attain safety.. by line of sight there are about 14 safe countries between Afghanistan and Ireland for example…so not picking on Afghans but why would they want to come here ? Considering safety is more attainable more quickly and with less effort and hardship ?

as for the amnesty, as soon as it’s granted I’d give it about 6 months before the hard left…”when’s the next one, come on”

say there is 20,000 undocumented/illegal… 20,000 every 2 years is 100,000 extra per decade… added to natural population increases….

im glad I also have a private pension, methinks I’ll need it.

Just as I stated previously, some of them are illegal migrants, since they arrive here illegally (others arrive legally), and their asylum claims are denied, which doesn't change their status of being... illegal. Hence, the idea that some Asylum seekers are still illegal migrants, whereas Asylum seekers who get approved to stay here, are still asylum seekers but legal migrants while their claims are being investigated/processed. There are Asylum seekers who are near instantly denied Asylum due to there being records on past attempts or not fulfilling the basic requirements for granting Asylum.

Bubbly made a generalised comment about Asylum seekers not being illegal, as if every Asylum seeker, regardless of their claims being approved or not, would be considered a legal migrant. That's not the case, hence the deportation orders given to failed Asylum seekers (even if they haven't been carried out, the deportation order exists), otherwise there would be no onus or need to deport failed Asylum seekers at all...

The logic involved isn't difficult.. and my previous post stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭eggy81

What is the reason that the government would be doing these sort of thing. I just don’t understand what benefit it is to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

No it doesn’t. You’re really not getting it are you ? While you are an asylum seeker you have a legal permission to stay, therefore you are not illegal. What you are before or after that is a different matter entirely. Of course you could be illegally here before you apply for asylum, and you can be illegally here once you are refused. However, while you are an asylum seeker, you cannot be illegally here. If your claim fails, you are no longer an asylum seeker. As you say yourself, the logic isn’t difficult.

• Advertisement

The double standards of some Irish towards the topic of migration is hilarious

Ahh well.. I figure you're not the one getting it.. so I'm going to stop this here. We disagree. Fine.

I think it is ****.I went through all the legal loops,the fees and the wait to be legal here.I knew what was needed and did it.Now they want to hand it out to ones who couldn't be bothered to do things the legal way?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

1. Stricter financial criteria for sponsors of Join Family visas. Irish citizens can sponsor an entire family (spouse and unlimited kids) if they’ve earned €40k over the previous 3 years. Not a typo! Not €40 per year! €40k over 3 years.
    2. The family should have basic English skills before they apply. This would include any school age kids. Reduce the pressure of non English speaking kids in classes. Also aid integration.
    3. Repeal new law which gives automatic citizenship to kids born here if parents have resided in the State for 3 years. We had a referendum about “birthright Citizenship “ but the politicians are repealing this by the back door.
    4. A citizenship test as part of the naturalisation process. English competency, basic Irish history and basic civics or whatever it’s called now.
    5. An end to constant appeals. Apply for International Protection (asylum) - refused - appeal - apply for Subsidiary Protection - refused - appeal - apply for Leave to Remain - refused - applicant informed that Minister intends to issue a Deportation Order - apply for Section 3 (6) - refused - Deportation Order issued - apply for Section 3 (11). Is it any wonder that bogus asylum seekers end up her for 10-15 years and have numerous kids born in the State by the time the process ends. Naturally you can’t deport a 12 year old that was born here and lived all their life here.
    6. A dedicated Immigration Police/Enforcement Service. Checking places of work for illegal workers and deporting them.

It’s late but this is a start.

I shouldn’t have to say this but I’m not racist. Immigrants, and their families, should be net contributors to the economy.

As a nation we are in dire straits in terms of housing, healthcare, overcrowded schools etc.

The last thing we need is more immigrants in low wage jobs who are paying very little tax but consuming housing, healthcare and school capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Another elephant in the room that people are very scared to talk about is certain immigrants from certain countries want to work and are very hard workers but then there are certain nationalities that never seem to want to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

That attitude is precisely why this shït will be given the green light. For so many, this country is the gift that just keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Id vote for that party, but think they be at SD levels initially (which would be decent).

They would be decried by the media, and constantly painted as the bad guys, turning the majority of media led folks, we don't really care about politics etc off

• Registered Users Posts: 23,601 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Instead of this convoluted "solution" the government thinks is appropriate wouldn't it be better and far more efficient to say if you have committed a crime here, no matter how minor, that's it...off home?

Wouldn't that be easier than all the bulls!it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m past caring what the absolute failures of politicians do in this country. They have a wonderful menu of PC bollox they doggedly implement, even if it makes no sense and the country can ill afford it. So much the better bring it on! Poorly educated, work shy migrants of any type will not enrich the country, and we’ve plenty of our own of them already. Welcome to the sh:t show that is Ireland.

Because the Gardai are not on a big enough power trip already? 🙄

We've already seen how some were caught blackmailing Deliveroo staff just because they thought they would be too frightened to say anything. Most were, some weren't.

Now imagine the police force having the level of power you are proposing. It would be open season for blackmail, coercion, intimidation etc

Yeah, no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,601 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I didn't make it clear enough, convicted of a crime. And yes I do trust the gardai who have their hands tied behind their backs in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

NGO's best interests that all. These institutions need to be tackled hard. Also a bit of an ask to be a charity case considering a lot of people are struggling with rises in living costs here.

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

First question any immigrant wanting to settle in Ireland is, what trade or skills have you to support yourself and family. Supply evidence. Second question any convictions or warrants should be investigated. If any convictions or no skills straight back out on next available flight asap. Seems a no brainer to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭batman_oh

That's a fresh viewpoint - haven't heard that before! Sure let everybody in and let them all claim the dole and have free houses. It'll be grand. That's what the Irish do everywhere else.

That's a fresh viewpoint - haven't heard that before!

• Advertisement

Or never let then land in the first place. Australia puts the asylum seekers on pacific islands that are not australian(pays the locals). Denmark is following suit and the uk government is making serious noises about sending their channel migrants to central africa while their applications are being heard

Ah yes, the far-right approach towards their fellow humans. Not sure that's something worthy of emulation or adoration

How would you treat somebody who forced their way into your home, refuses to leave and helps themselves to your food without doing a tap to support themselves? Genuine people seeking help, help away, assorted chancers pissing all over us, you can wait elsewhere while you application is heard. And none have to go to the centre abroad, they can choose to go home or head back to the previous safe country they came from

Macron has just made another speech on immigration, legal and illegal. He's a bit like the Conservatives in the UK though, lot of talk but very few noticeable results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I read recently that we have a staggering 30,000 plus NGOs in Ireland and our government forks out over 5 billion a year in funding, many of these organisations doing the same thing.

https://gript.ie/un-ngos-ireland/

Never said the govt was far-right, however they adopted far-right policies to take the wind out of the sails of the populist parties

You only have to look at how a similar approach worked out for our neighbors, the UK, where the Conservatives adopted the same approach to steal the thunder from UKIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

If this egit mc Entee concentrated her efforts on the justice system and make the country safer from assaults and murders in the country (which seem to ever increasing) she would be better off. Stop wasting people money.

Controlled immigration policies aren't far right, it's just a smear used by the usual suspects.

What they've done is adopt proper immigration policies but people who think anyone an inch to the right of Stalin is far right are upset about it.

• Advertisement

One wonders how your opinion might change if you were emigrating to Australia and had to go through the same process.

Would it still be considered a "proper" immigration policy then or is it only proper because it only applies to Asian and Pacific Islander minorities?

Advertisement