Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

I and every single person I know have never called for an amnmesty for illegal Irish immigrants in America. Ever.

I don't care if a handful of politicians did over the years.

The only opinion I ever heard was, if your illegal Irish in America and you get caught then you're caught, tough sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I didn't say a referendum was racist.

I said the government is not going to hold an ordinary referendum to appease a minority of racists (in this country)

but I still find it interesting that apparently so many on here

Your use of apparently doesn't inspire much confidence that you're all that informed about what posters here have said in the past. Seems almost like you've made up your objection out of nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Were there threads on here calling for the Irish illegals to be chucked out of America?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Irish illegals should be chucked out of America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yes. This discussion was had before a few years ago, and we all said they should be deported too, every last one of them. It's an Irish forum about Irish politics, so we're obviously more focused on what happens here than there too.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We tend not to do general referenda just Constitutional ones. Far too easy for a government to find itself in a position it hadn't planned for - see Brexit.

Neither they nor FF tend to campaign for referenda as much as other parties and usually leave it more up to civic groups instead. 2004 was a given anyway, the only question was by how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Oh I agree with this, I think people in this country are way down on the list of people the political system prioritise

• Advertisement

There have been threads in the past which focused on Irish immigration to the US... with posters saying that they should be deported if they were there illegally. Just as there have been threads, similar to this one, where posters said Irish people in the US should be deported/prosecuted per the law.

There's a lot of people out there with no patience for anyone evading the law.

Better question, is why anyone who supported such a referendum should be considered a racist?

Progressive thinking: The Irish are racist, but the racists are also a tiny minority when it's convenient for them. They love their sweet spot, just enough to cause worry, but not enough to cause change.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

We are a representative democracy so we assume that those we vote for will deal with such things. People do take Constitutional referenda seriously and wouldn't take too kindly to politicians casually using them to show they were unable to make decisions themselves. Legislation and policies always welcome public submissions, which is a far better way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

HAHA a few weeks ago there was a thread questioning whether the Irish (as a whole) are racist and another thread further back warning about the far-right being on the verge of taking over the country. Make up yer minds lads. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

McEntee is not on a solo run with this. Remember that folks, and I often wonder about the collective cabinet thinking behind it, or do they have permanent blinkers on and are ploughing on regardless of people's views.

Apart from discussion fora it appears that no one is allowed to know what people are thinking at all. Not one politician is questioning this (to my knowledge). Do they believe that their constituents are 100% in favour or do they even care? If not, why not?

Many voters are homeless in the voting sense now, between a rock and a hard place. The print media, radio, TV will not question it, so we are totally voiceless, which is not good for democracy.

So we have MUP, automatic own door accommodation for asylum seekers whether legitimate or not, and now this. I cannot be the only one who feels disempowered completely. Sad to say but resistance is futile.

Are you doubting that racists are a minority in this country tomtomtim?

Apart from discussion fora it appears that no one is allowed to know what people are thinking at all. Not one politician is questioning this (to my knowledge). Do they believe that their constituents are 100% in favour or do they even care? If not, why not?

The Irish political class simply don't care in any real sense, nearly every policy they've pushed in the last few years, has no measurable wide support. Out voters let them get away with it too, because at end of the day it doesn't matter who's in power in Ireland, everything stays much the same regardless of the party. I'd personally be in favor of a complete political reset in Ireland, start from scratch again, with a genuine involvement for the people, and not special interest groups, and NGOs, as they've more power than every Irish voters as it stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I support the regularisation of people's status. It's in everyone's interest that people aren't vulnerable to exploitation and have a future to work towards.

Of course proper vetting has to be part of the process but in general it makes sense.

Because the electorate have little real power to influence politicians decisions.

The politicians lose favour and what happens? They lose the following election, but continue to be in the game for the next election. It takes something rather serious for a politician to ever face real negative consequences for their choices while in power (which is very rare). Just look at the Banking crash, and the lack of accountability for anyone involved.

The political parties understand that there are no other real options for the electorate, if they're united on certain issues, and without those alternatives, people will continue voting them in because of their sense of loyalty/tradition, but even if that doesn't happen, memories fade, and they'll be back in again a few years down the line. All the while, someone else in politics or business will scratch their backs, appointing them to some position, and their lifestyles will be guaranteed. In any case, with something like immigration, all the political parties are pumping the same tune, so losing voters to another party doesn't stop the agenda being pushed through.

IMHO Irish politicians don't care what people think, because we're no threat to them. I wouldn't say that resistance is futile, because I can't ever really recall the Irish population resisting, and consistently putting it to the political elite. Hopefully, things will change with some reasonable alternative political parties, but honestly, I doubt it will. Not in my lifetime anyway.

It's in everyone's interest 

Stop telling people what their interests are. People have a right to decide what they want and want they don't want. In my view a nation who rewards criminals, might as well be criminals themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

"It's in everyone's interest that people aren't vulnerable to exploitation and have a future to work towards."

So why don't the Government prosecute the restaurants, hotels etc that hired illegal immigrants in the first place? Has the memory of GAMA faded that quickly?

Except it doesn't. These illegal migrants have already chosen to break the laws of this nation. They're not Asylum seekers fleeing persecution. They're economic migrants... so do we really want to regularise people who already consider their own desires to be more important than the laws of this nation?

Secondly, it's not in everyone's interest. Regularisation means that these people will gain access to welfare supports, and other services/supports provided to legal migrants in the country. More people means less resources available for those who have chosen to come/stay here legally, but also, increases pressure to take resources away from disadvantaged Irish groups. Since Ireland is still a relatively small economy, and has limited actual revenue to provide for people.

Third, there's no guarantee that these illegals will stop working without paying tax, or change the habits developed while living here illegally. Or even that they won't disappear again as illegals when/if their legal lifestyle doesn't work out.

The Amnesty doesn't make sense at all, because we have requirements that are extended to all migrants who want to come and live in Ireland. Any new migrant will be required to meet those requirements...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's what we want from america therefore we must do the same.

the requirement is the person must be contributing to the country. I would imagine most opponents to this initiative are not contributing.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Well done Helen McEntee, a great scheme led by a very progressive TD.

I'm opposed to it, I've contributed my whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I presume all applicants will have passports and be legitimate citizens of some other country. Or maybe not, I suppose if you have been in DP for the required no. of years having eaten your passport on the way here and don't know who you are, you can qualify for the scheme also.

What are our immigration laws for then? Ahem, to stop illegal entry and legalise length of stay, right to work etc. This has been so debased over the years that it is beginning to appear that those who apply legally might as well not bother and eventually qualify under the NEXT amnesty, because these will be rolling I am sure of it.

Legitimate visa applicants are in most cases obliged by their compliant employer to do the right thing. It is outrageous that a student from Rio de Janeiro having overstayed their often dodgy "student visa" status can now just live and work here for an application fee. And there are many thousands of them here right now. Not fair at all in my view.

I'll fire off an email to my local Coalition TDs and to Macker herself. I have no doubt I will get a generic reply citing compassion, and all the other buzzwords re immigration fed to them by the NGOs.

Sick of the country. Every day just seems to make me more mad and cynical. I need a holiday lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,923 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can’t wait to see more of a ‘progressive’ Ireland….

more crime, less deterrent… not enough Gardai or prison places…

less availability of housing, too much demand

dig outs… social welfare / disability payment’s plateauing despite inflation as not enough money in the kitty

transport infrastructure for our skyrocketing population unaffordable… serious Q’s for trains, trams, metro

more cars, impacting our environment you won’t move in the overpopulated choked up chaos in years to come it’s worse

people dying on hospital waiting lists as we can’t afford more beds or consultants so not getting seen / diagnosed or treated..

Our quality of life basically is facing a challenge like never before, and some people wish to dress it up as #progressive

‘Progressive’ is positive… the impact that mass immigration and undocumented migrants is having on our population is not progressive… neither is any amnesty to law breakers… as it is absolutely shafting us and throwing this country and it citizens, their wellbeing back into the dark ages, and under the bus….

don’t get sick

dont lose your job

dont get thrown out by a landlord, husband / wife

because this country won’t be here for you, it won’t have the capacity to be

the gap between the haves and have nots will widen

look after your / our wellbeing… resist this or any government using our taxes to prioritise the safety, wellbeing and security of non Irish non resident people, ahead of tax paying Irish people…

you walk into a supermarket and pay 200 euros you expect to walk out with 200 euros worth of groceries… with this situation the tax we’ll pay is giving significantly less value in our basket…

we are fûcked.

Advertisement