Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory vaccination in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

The vaccines don’t stop spread though.

Also, there are loads of vaccinated in hospital.

Also, almost everyone in ICU is vulnerable to the disease regardless of vax status.

Also, it’s the vaccinated that have been spreading it in pubs and clubs and cafes and airplanes (vax-free always needed to be tested).

Also, omicron is very mild.

Also biosecurity police-state/ segregationist fantasies are not warranted for illness with 99% recovery rate.

We are coming to the end of this now (hopefully) and some of you will need to start your transition back to being regular human beings who do not approve of discrimination based on pharmaceutical status.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I see.

Pfizer CEO, Albert Bourla, said this week: "we know that two doses of the vaccine offer very limited protection, if any. The three doses with a booster offer reasonable protection against hospitalisation and death, and less protection against infection."

So if it's about being "limited so as not to infect others" can I assume that you think the same restrictions should apply to anyone double vaccinated but not boosted?

And since there is no reason to assume that booster effectiveness will last longer than the 90 days that the initial two doses do, can I assume that you think the vaccine passports of the boosted should be revoked after that amount of time has passed?

Last one: if it is acceptable for unvaccinated people to carry out a test to travel on a plane, why is it not acceptable for them to carry out a test to gain entry to indoor activity?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Have a link to that?

i can’t find it from a search.

right.. so he didn’t say that what he said was the efficiency after 20-25 weeks starts to drop (hence boosters) this is not new information & what you posted is deliberately misleading.

It was a CNBC interview that was widely shared, and when it started getting traction on Twitter they registered a DMCA takedown for it.

I don't know how long this copy will last:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

A more “up to date” clear interview. And anyway, what you linked was a snippet of conversation from a much longer interview where he was talking exclusively about… wait for it..

omicron!

none of this is news.

EDIT: to add also, it was DMCA’d because it’s an out of context clip being shared to spread misinformation (again). Ffs it came from telegram man like do I even have to say anymore..

like I thought anyway that’s a completely fabricated story based on again out of context clips. Honestly if only you lot spreading this shite could mutate your angle like covid mutated.. this angle is stale by now after 2 years still posting this kinda crap, smh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Funnily enough, the same tactics are used in current affairs with videos being snipped, used out of context or even edited to try and back their narrative.

When caught, it almost always says more about the person pushing the video than the video itself said.

And that person always fails to realise this or learn from it.

Yeah that’s what this is clearly. Very convenient it’s been edited to remove the part where it’s made clear the discussion being referenced regards Omicrom specifically… you know cos they’re talking about the v1.1 shot coming in March…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭timmyntc

And how does it being about omicron invalidate what was said? Omicron IS the dominant strain now, so of course the current vaccine efficacy against omicron is relevant.

MilkyToast may have to burn this account now (joking, I'm sure this was just a one off from telegram and the discourse standard will be raised in the future, time will tell).

I didn’t say it wasn’t relevant I said it’s misleading.

they’re speaking broadly about vaccines as a whole not specifically vaccines re omicron.

do you not find it at all odd that the clip removed any mention of omi? If the point wasn’t to discourage vaccines overall that wouldn’t need to be removed?

its also worth pointing out that as well as the v1.1 shot coming in March, the CEO has said it may not even be required. So obviously the conclusion to draw from this is the vaccines ARE working albeit not as well with Omi, but well enough to the point where they may not even necessarily need to push the v1.1 shot above v1.0.

That post was misleading no matter what way you frame it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

again missinformation and rubbish. Vaccines reduce spread and effect of disease

Again missinformation mis quoting and rubbish

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I mean unless every case has been genome sequenced to find out it’s an unsafe assumption to draw that delta or other variants are not presently in circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Most countries allow a test result for indoor entry (and we may be in breach of EU law since the certs were designed for travel.)

Is the goal to prevent infections or to spite people and wear them down?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thought I heard recently that 80-90% of cases are now omicron?

Again, unless those cases underwent genome sequencing its an educated guess I would imagine.

I’m not saying they weren’t, but I know we don’t check every case either to see what variant it is because that would be pointless and of course a huge burden on the labs.

Ok but I don't see your point then. Pfizer presumably have an idea of the levels of omicron and have advised the effectiveness of the vaccine for that. If we are conservative and say 70% is omicron is what was quoted not broadly correct?

What?

Omicron is the dominant variant right now, so the vaccine's effectiveness against omicron is really the only thing that matters.

I mean I could have stipulated that the vaccines retain more but varying effectiveness against wild type, alpha, delta and all the other variants, but how is it relevant to whether they should be mandated right now?

I have no idea where the video came from, other than it being a clip from a CNBC interview. I was asked for a link, found it missing because of the DMCA, searched YouTube for it, and posted it.

• Advertisement

What site did you see it on first?

What was your old username out of interest? (I usually don't pay attention to these things and assume everyone is who they say they are rather than getting bogged down in calling people shills and bots).

What site did you see it on first?

I don't remember, possibly Twitter?

What was your old username out of interest? (I usually don't pay attention to these things and assume everyone is who they say they are rather than getting bogged down in calling people shills and bots).

😬

I didn't post much and wasn't on boards for very long with it, so it's not really relevant. Since the account name (stupidly) was such that it made some RL info about me identifiable, I won't say.

It's not a once in a generation pandemic. It's a once in a generation response to a virus. It's a pandemic, but the virus is mild for the vast majority of people.

It is actually. Well, more so for England than the other UK countries. The reason England is one of the freest countries in Europe is because it can do its own thing. EU countries have to follow EU law. The latest the 9 month vaccine cert thing.

But Jim2007, the lifestyle of a vaccinated person will be a restricted one too. A pass will be required everywhere, masks, will have to socially distance etc.

Varadkar has spoken of 'periods of freedom'. Won't be proper freedom. And mentioned summer 2023 in a recent interview: This Should Be 'Summer Of Freedom In Ireland' - Varadkar (todayfm.com)

"I don't want summer 2023 in Ireland to be the summer in which we've the worst restrictions in Europe, or the toughest restrictions in Europe.

"I want 2023 to be a summer of freedom in Ireland, if that's possible."

Note 'if that's possible'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭patnor1011

People also fail to realize that majority of "unvaccinated" scum are mostly people like me who already contracted covid and recovered from it. I was symptomatic only first time and only got it second time after having to sit in tiny room for one hour with a person who was fully vaxxed but decided to come to work despite being clearly unwell. Nevertheless, I should thank him as he just boosted me before boosers become even a thing.

Naturally gained immunity is far more superior than any currently available vaccine can offer. My second covid was without any symptoms I was cleared to go back to work 4 days after positive pcr test.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

How so? Tell me how it is one of the "freest" countries in Europe? What are the tangible benefits?

Financially it has been an absolute disaster. It was a disaster before the pandemic. It hasn't even been fully implemented yet...which will lead to more impact.

Or take one industry even fishing.

Terrible deal, the industry in UK is pretty much decimated.

You are saying EU countries have to follow EU laws....like it is a bad thing? How do you think food standards are going to look in the UK post Brexit? Bring on the chlorinated chicken and dodgy additives!

Freest in terms of covid, I mean. The only good thing about Ireland is that it's next door to England. Irish people are fortunate that they can live and work in England without difficulty. It's been a great joy to go to England many times in the past year and a bit. A great despair to return to Ireland.

And you're focusing on financial and economic issues only. What about being an independent country again? Restoring a rich history and culture of liberty?

It is a bad thing when the EU can just announce that a future measure is binding. As it did recently with the vaccine passport.

Anyway, we're going a bit off topic here. On mandatory vaccination, I think it will come in in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You mean as in restrictions? Or what? England has had less restrictions alright. But have England not had more than twice as many deaths per head of population than Ireland? England 131k versus Ireland approx 6k. 56m people versus 5 million. This is despite the UK making a flying start to vaccinations.

A "rich history"...being in the EU doesn't take away our history... we are an independent country but we have to work to certain rules as part of EU...which the UK has to do to if they want to trade..which they have found out to their peril...when Brexit is fully implemented it will be even more of a disaster.

"Culture of liberty" what does that even mean?! Give me a break.

We have benefited and continue to benefit massively from being part of the EU. We went from one of the poorest countries in Europe.

There is also zero appetite in Ireland to leave the EU...all recent polls show 82+% of people here want to remain part of the EU and it is higher among younger people.

Back on topic.

I don't think we will bring in mandatory vaccinations other EU countries have chosen to bring them in, but very little appetite here. We can make our own decisions on things like this while being part of the EU...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Advertisement