Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory vaccination in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Leaving it is working out really well for the UK.

You can refer to northern Ireland as being Ireland I do....but you can't ignore the fact if falls under different control, so measures that are introduced in the Republic of Ireland won't be introduced in northern Ireland....the executive/Westminster will decide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Leaving the so-called "EU" is the right decision for everyone.

You don't need to use the so-called part...it is the the EU.

People in Ireland don't agree (support is 84% in most polls - and higher in younger people)...so it isn't going to happen. The disaster it has been for the UK (Scotland, Wales and England especially) will cement it.

If you say so.

I have already shown there is no desire for ireland to leave it though.

The only party pushing for it are the loopers of the Ireland freedom party...led by Hermann Kelly...with his registered address in....Belgium...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,192 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Only in your mind.

That’s mad, Lumen you are right. It does sound funnier in Ian Paisley voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

I don't agree with mandatory vaccines as such. I do agree with restrictions for unvaccinated people though. They should be allowed to go to the supermarket, work and medical and that's it. 50 per cent of those in ICU are unvaccinated from 6% of the population. We are being held hostage because of those 6%. Restrict the unvaccinated and let the rest of us get back to living life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ireland wont have compulsorary, or required, vaccination. Ireland has just 5% of adults unvaccinated, 0% of over 60s . The most vulnerable are protected

In countries like Germany or Austria who are considering manditory vaccination theres over 10% of over 60s unvaccinated, and much higher in certain regions. For Germany, to put the percentage into real numbers, thats a not insignificant 3 million unvaccinated over 60 years of age!

Ireland is in a really good place and when Germany and Austria are seeing lockdown and restrictions next winter caused by the ticking time bomb of beligerant pensioners, Ireland will be fully open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

There are 60 unvaccinated people in ICU, many with underlying conditions.

60 people are holding 4.9 million hostage?

Restrictions have to go.

And why should I need to carry and present digital personal health data on demand for the rest of my life just so 306,000 other people can be excluded from society and reduced to second class citizenship? While the Dept of Health miss their annual ICU expansion target by a third?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are about 200,000 to 300,000 unvaccinated and we've had something like half a million official cases in the past few months so no they are not holding us to ransom. That would be the very rapidly spreading transmissible variant causing all these cases in vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. The ICU cases, vaccinated or not, are almost all Delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The ICU numbers are subject to small numbers issues.

But overall case numbers include very many vaccinated people. Based on that, I do not see that the unvaccinated are the problem: vaccinated people who think they are bulletproof are as much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

MMR, Varicella and Hepatitis B immunity is required. Either demonstrated antibodies or vaccination.

Diphtheria is mandatory for lab workers.

All others are only recommended to varying degrees.

Ok you might have issues with the small numbers in Ireland.

Have a look at them somewhere else in that case.

Your view about vaccinated people walking around like they are bulletproof, is just that it isn't based on anything

And the Irish courts have found bodily integrity to have other meanings also

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Such as, relevant to this topic?

Actually who cares. I don’t support mandatory vaccination beyond healthcare workers anyway.

Will be much more than 300k moving forward, considering people will drop off with each "booster" and thus be deemed "unvaccinated". I'd say 500k - 1m after a year.

Yeah, they should allow vaccinated only into nightclubs etc, then they'd never have to close them down.... oh, wait, nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

So the data in the graph (which does not appear in the linked report—which has plenty of easy-to-capture graphs of its own) covers May-Dec 2021 according to the header.

And then whoever made it apparently had a time machine, because the source given at the bottom is ICNARC COVID 19 report 7 January 2021 (a date when nobody was vaccinated, and 4 months before the purported date range covered by the graph).

And the paper she's linked along with the report is an ICNARC report from 24 December 2021.

Not gonna lie, it smells a bit fishy.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Can I suggest the concentration of risk around 60-69 year olds is of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Indeed, it's very specific and very far from (say) mandatory vaccination of low-risk 5-11 year olds just in case an unvaccinated 60 year old gets covid off one.

It says "A risk assessment should be performed to establish if vaccinations are required for employees in a particular work setting." The context seems to be what's required of employers to provide employees with safe working environments. And, as you say, there's only a handful of cases where the guidance says an unqualified "should".

I notice for Prison Officers it says they "should be strongly encouraged to receive hepatitis B vaccination". I suspect someone tried telling them it was mandatory, and spent Christmas eating his dinner through a tube.

Now, its fair to say anti-smoking legislation got a lot of mileage out of the safe workplace idea. But would that apply here? As you say, a very specific requirement of necessity would need to be established.

• Advertisement

And that concentration represents a risk of 0.04% in 60-69 year olds.

70+ — 0.01%

60-69 — 0.04%

50-59 — 0.01%

40-49 — 0.004%

30-39 — 0.002%

18-29 — 0.0005%

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

may to Dec - would you stop ffs.

in may only 26% of the population were vaccinated.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

We had that sh1te here too in ireland - taking a large majority of peoples conditions and lumping them on the 18% unvaccinated by Dec.

I've no the detail on the UK but I'd imagine in early summer they were still going through vulnerable people.

The people who I know in Ireland not choosing to take the vaccine haven't bothered their GP not mind any ICU or Critical Care.

As I've stated - they never tell you the split of those who decline a vaccine or those that unable due to other issues. They lump all numbers on naysayers.

It's so misleading it's lies.

Mandatory vaccines though honestly give me strength

Anyone wanting this is a moron anyway, another spin to “end the pandemic”. We don’t need forced vaccine clinics to end it. We need people to fcuking do what they’re told.

I'm against vaccine mandates on the basis of long-held principles around informed consent and bodily autonomy. Contrary to many who ostensibly held similar opinions to mine prior to 2020, principles aren't just things I say when it's easy to say them. Indeed, principles that don't hold up under pressure are not principles at all.

I'm also against them on the basis that they don't work and have been shown to strengthen general anti-vaccine sentiment when used, even if they provide an initial, minor boost for the specific vaccine in question.

I would still be against them if covid-19 had the same IFR as ebola. Though I suspect many more people would take the vaccine if it did.

Not enough though. Unvaccinated are allowed to go to outdoors hospitality. Many bars and restaurants have substantial outdoor areas now that are very comfortable even in Winter. We should be requiring vaccine certs for hairdressers, beauticians, all retail except food and medical. Restrictions are there because our health system is being clogged up by mainly unvaccinated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

No our dog shît health service is the way it is down to cronic mismanagement for decades, you have bought the government excuse hook line and sinker

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I agree with you that our health service is severely lacking at the best of times. However, we only can work with what we have. What we have is that unvaccinated people are in hospital taking up beds that they shouldn't be and that is why we have restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭bloopy

I can't tell which opinions are genuine and which are extreme for satirical effect anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This is part of the reason why we have had lower deaths than other countries. Lockdowns have been used not to protect you and me but to stop the HSE being overwhelmed. As the HSE are so decrepit lockdowns needed to be introduced here at an earlier stage than countries with first world health systems as the HSE could not cope otherwise.

It is not a funding issue either as we finance the HSE at more than the european average. It is a waste and cultural issue.

Advertisement