Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A legit motor trader will be able to do the change of ownership online these days. You don't send anything to Shannon when selling or trading a car to a dealer. Just make sure this guy has an official premises and not operating from a Aldi carpark or filling station forecourt, also get a proper letter headed receipt from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ok thanks.

He’s got a premises in greenogue business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Choppa32

Hi All - Looking for a bit of advice. Have just sold my 2006 Avensis Liftback and it looks like the buyer has given a false address on the logbook. I only noticed this when I went to check it online after he was gone. I could still send the logbook off to Shannon but not sure what position that leaves me in if it's not a valid address (it doesn't show up in Google maps). Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Send it to the address he provided, not your problem.

It will be their problem if the owner at that address rejects it and sends the logbook back to Shannon. Shannon may then restore the OP as the current registered keeper.

Rang Citizens information and also a garda friend earlier, both confirmed I'm under no obligation to validate a buyers address.

While that might be true, what happens after you send the change of ownership off to Shannon and they send the new logbook to a fake address? It more than likely will get returned to Shannon. What do they do with it then? While you are under no obligation to validate the buyer's address, it's in your best interest to know the car is no longer registered to you once sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭User1998

I don’t think they will re register the car to the OP once the car is out of their name.

OP how do you know its a fake address? Loads of address’ don’t show up on Google, particularly outside of Dublin

Messaged the buyer to confirm the eircode since he didn't write it on the log book and called him the next day when I didn't get a response. He immediately hung up when I said who I was. The provided address is in Dublin 15 and can see the housing estate mentioned, just the stated road doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Have a car that I'll be listing for sale next week. Been years since I sold. Is carzone still the best place to list or would people use donedeal or even both? Car value is in around 20-23k if that makes a difference.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would try some dealers that are looking to buy cars too, some are paying string money to just get stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Some advice please. Thinking of selling a (what I consider anyway) a high value car in the €70k range privately. Reason is want to get a tesla and know there trade in will be horrible quote. Have submitted details to webuycars.ie, zucars.ie etc but again expecting poor enough quotes. Is it realistic to think I'll be able to sell it privately on carzone.ie/donedeal.ie with that pricing and how would I handle payment (thinking give bank details and when cash in back hand it over)?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

does motor tax have a form for selling a car to another country like NI or UK

can they just sign the reg sert or not as far as i know some people just give them the reg sert

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Hi, so I wish I saw this post beforehand but I have come here as I just sold a car to a guy who took the logbook unsigned.. stupid I now know. He said he does up cars and didnt want to add another owner. He said he would send me an image of it when it's fixed up and sold on but I didn't fill my part either so not sure how that would work. I did get a picture of his licence which perhaps means he may be genuine but I am freaking out a bit now. I also got his registration. Any advice on what I should do. I can ring Shannon I suppose but the phones are only open until 1pm. Anyone with experience of similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

Folks, random one. Given lead time for new cars, if you agree to trade in a car as part of a sale is it binding, or can you cover it with cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

You should check with the dealer but the last time I traded in a car they told me they don’t really mind as long as you come up with the balance in either car or cash

If he was willing to let you take a photo of his license he is probably genuine. I do this all the time and I have no reason not to post the logbook when I find a buyer.

Worst case scenario, if you do get any fines etc, you can just apply for a new logbook transfer the ownership into his name and backdate it to the day you sold it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

with the cost of petrol i'm thinking about selling my petrol turbo mitsubishi ralliart its been parked up for past few weeks- do you think they'd be a market for a turbo gas guzzler out there currently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Well, I still haven't heard from him - he said he would be doing the car up before he sold so may be genuine maybe not. Anyway, just for others info I rang the motor office in Shannon and was sent out a form to fill in with any documentary evidence of sale (some evidence is required) - I included the info I had, date of sale etc and then had it signed and witnessed with a commissioner for oaths (solicitor) - cost 10 euro. Keep a copy of it and send it off to Shannon. Still not ideal, but I guess I am covered in case of any later issues that arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Can anyone suggest some of these dealers

Looking get rid of 2007 Skoda Fabia saloon (essentially an Octavia body)

Shocked to see prices they are selling for but dont want the hassle of selling and willing forego some part of it for lack of hassle of selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No dealers want an 07 Fabia I’m afraid. Especially a saloon.

Private buyers won’t be queuing up for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Will be selling car in the next few weeks, have read the sticky too.

A couple of questions:

Insurance - what can the interested party bring with them to show me they are insured to drive other cars?

If they are not insured to drive other cars is it a definite No No and no point in them even coming to view the car?

Payment - best way to check cash is real? Other option is to get them to come to back with me and lodge it there & then, but assuming bank is closed.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I post the below in "Buying a car in Ireland" but probably better suited to this thread. Appolagies for posting twice.

I've had someone contact me to buy my car through CarsIreland. Almost certain it's a scam of some sort.

They have said they want to buy my car, if I send them my name, mobile number and address they'll post me a chaeque. When cheque is cleared in my account they will arrange for transport to come and collect the car.

All this without even seeing it.

Anyone else ever had an offer like this?

Of course it's a scam. The world is full of scammers and carsireland is not impervious to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Looking to sell a 2019 Landrover Discovery Sport. In perfect nick, only 35k on the clock. Is Donedeal and Carzone my best job or does anyone recommend an dealers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Will probably be selling a car soon, value around 10k. The cars I sold most recently were for a couple of thousand and in cash.

Is it reasonable to only accept an EFT for that amount and only to hand over the keys when the money lands in my account? I would prefer this over cash/bank draft. Would a reasonable buyer have any valid reasons for not wanting to pay this way?

A lot of people only want to deal in cash, its not ideal for a buyer to have to transfer you the full amount, and then leave empty handed until the money reaches your account. I certainly would never leave empty handed after transferring money. Why won’t you accept cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

I didn't say I wouldn't accept cash, just that I would prefer a bank transfer. With cash, then I'm the one bearing all of the risk, even if that risk is small. The risk that the notes might be counterfeit, the risk of being robbed before I can lodge it in the bank. Plus, I've got the hassle of getting to the bank during opening hours and lodging it. The last time I was in a bank was probably 5 years ago.

Well thats what comes with selling a car privately. If someone transfers you €10k and has to wait 2 days for it to clear they are taking all the risk, you could disappear with the money etc. So if you want to maximise your chance of selling, accepting cash would help. Or try arrange an instant payment like Revolut, or a transfer from the same bank like AIB to AIB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

Dealer offered me 15k for a trade in on an 172 Ford Grand C-max. It's low-ish mileage at 45k and an automatic titanium spec. I was hoping for closer to 18k going by Carzone, is it worth the hassle to sell it privately for what might end up only being 1-2k difference?

Would be easier to negotiate with the dealer to give you more for your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I am trying to sell a 5 series BMW with 116,000km's. Carzone has them listed for €28,950 - €29,450. I was in a BMW dealer today and he offered me €24,000 (€23,500 if I went for a cheaper car). Is this a decent price from a dealer or should I push a bit more from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

What's the view on the getting the car serviced before selling? Ideally looking to sell privately but will sell to a dealer if I don't have any luck.

I've got a 5 year old Merc, less than 100k km. Service is due around now.

Up to this point I've got a full Mercedes service history. But they've quoted me €800 or so for this service, which I don't really want to pay as I'm selling anyway. And reluctant not to go to an independent garage as I'll lose that "full Mercedes service history" that some people value/is a bit of a selling point.

BMW dealers are notorious for giving low ball trade-in values. You can be sure the price of the car they are selling is on the high side too.

In saying that carzone is mostly dealer asking prices which are not selling prices or trade-in values. The important figure to focus on is how much a dealer wants from you to go from your existing car to their car, i.e. cost to change price. That is the only figure that matters as trade-in figures can be fudged to make a deal look attractive where the car you are buying is overpriced. My advice is to shop around for similar cars outside the BMW dealer network and compare the cost to change price.

If your trading the car then I wouldn't bother as your only saving the dealer money on having to do it themselves. If your selling the car privately and it's due a service then either have it serviced or drop the asking price to reflect the buyer having to get is serviced themselves. Personally I'd just get a basic service and sell it that way as a buyer will still want to knock down the price even if you reduce the price of a service from your asking price.

I certainly wouldn’t spend the €800 on it. I would either get the cheapest service they offer, (oil + oil filter?) or not get it serviced at all and offer a discount of €200 or so to get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Nov 9, 2022 - murphthesmurf is lucky to have a guardian angel looking out for him....!!🙂

Don't worry I have reply to po post like this in the past myself☺️

Advertisement