Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Hi,

Ive had my Passat up for sale the last few weeks, but only 1 enquiry which didn't lead anywhere.

I think it's keenly priced and good ad and pics(could prob take better).

Any suggestions to help get it sold ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-highline-tsi/15785957

Thanks,
    Jasper

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd stick it through the NCT now for a fresh 2 year cert as it's approaching 10 years old and next January would only get a 1 year cert. A fresh 2 year NCT would make it more attractive to a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The pictures are very bad. Also, keep the most important info like the timing chain change near the top of the ad. Get rid of the spaces between the lines as you're halving the amount of info potential buyer can see without clicking "show more"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

There seems to be too many interior pics. 7 out of 9 pics is way too many.
    Try and get some of the exterior from different angles. I'd usually to 8 exterior pics. (45 degree increments if you know what I mean)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

The wording is spot-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 conhen

Hi all would appreciate some feedback on my add. Only one phone call in since start of ad and didn't come to anything. No viewings. Its really in good nick and serviced. I guess the price is maybe a factor but i think considering other compatible Renaults with similar year and mileage. I may be way off. Many thanks in advance. conor
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-estate-2010/16098236

Cheaper similar one here from a dealer with a warranty:
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1805616&r=s.php%3Fm%3D72%26o%3D619%26r%3D2010%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

This one is slightly higher spec and longer test asking the same money by a dealer:
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1749524&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D72%26o%5B%5D%3D619%26b%3D3%26yn%3D2010%26yx%3D2010%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

I can buy this one which is a year younger for not alot more too:
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1712124&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D72%26o%5B%5D%3D619%26b%3D3%26yn%3D2011%26yx%3D2011%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Your car needs to be priced at around 5400 and consider any offers of 5k+.

As above, it's just that little bit too expensive, being the base spec doesn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 conhen

Thanks for the feedback lads. It was hard to know how to price it as there seems to be big variation in price for that model. Will adjust accordingly and see who bites!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 trixabello

Hi, I have a 2008 Toyota Corolla D4D up for sale for €3,950. Diesel, NCT until Jan 2018, Tax until July 2018, 200k KM's. Is this a reasonable price to be advertising for? Thanks.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-corolla-1-4-d4d/16213169

Car looks clean and it's got the cheaper tax. Only comment I would say is that the test is short on it. I'd stick it through the NCT and get a fresh 2 year cert on it before it hits the magical 10 years old and only gets a 1 year cert. Could be the best €55 you spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

trixabello wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 2008 Toyota Corolla D4D up for sale for €3,950. Diesel, NCT until Jan 2018, Tax until July 2018, 200k KM's. Is this a reasonable price to be advertising for? Thanks.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-corolla-1-4-d4d/16213169

Can't speak for anyone else but the seats are absolutely filthy - they look like they haven't ever been cleaned and that alone would put me off a car at that price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Im having trouble selling on my car, have had it up before for a while without any luck, waiting on the NCT is probably the reason why it's not selling, any suggestions?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-ecoboost-turbo/16125469

• Registered Users Posts: 20 trixabello

bazz26 wrote: »
    Car looks clean and it's got the cheaper tax. Only comment I would say is that the test is short on it. I'd stick it through the NCT and get a fresh 2 year cert on it before it hits the magical 10 years old and only gets a 1 year cert. Could be the best €55 you spend.

Thanks. Was thinking I should but thought you could only get nct 3 months in advance of next test date?

Thanks for the reply Prettyboy. I actually didn't even notice how bad they looked in the pic until u mentioned it! 😳

trixabello wrote: »
    Thanks. Was thinking I should but thought you could only get nct 3 months in advance of next test date?

Thanks for the reply Prettyboy. I actually didn't even notice how bad they looked in the pic until u mentioned it! ��

I think if you do the voluntary NCT outside the 3 months before it's due date then the cert will be for 2 years from the date of test. Maybe someone else here will know for sure?

Im having trouble selling on my car, have had it up before for a while without any luck, waiting on the NCT is probably the reason why it's not selling, any suggestions?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-ecoboost-turbo/16125469

Short NCT will certainly put a lot of sellers off especially on a car of that value. 3dr has a limited market too. Asking price is a bit high too, people are not really going to pay over the odds for the rare 1.0 ecoboost engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I'm trading in my car, dealer has agreed a price for it, he never mentioned tax on it, it has tax till end of the year and I'll be trading in before end of august, am I within my rights to claim back tax on it, is that even possible?

Unfortunately no, motor tax stays with the car, not the owner and has nothing to do with the dealer so he is not going to give you extra for having tax left on it. There are only a few circumstances where motor tax can be refunded such as the car is being scrapped or exported abroad and there needs to be a minimum of 3 months tax on the car too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I put my wifes car up for sale last weekend, and while it's been only live 4 days, i've not heard a peep.

It's my first time selling on Donedeal so i'm not sure what "normal" is, but we've a new car on the way early next week so we'd rather shift the mini sooner rather than later (can only insure 1 at a time etc).

Any thoughts on what I could do better in the ad?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-mini-one-taxed-and-nctd/16267153

I put my wifes car up for sale last weekend, and while it's been only live 4 days, i've not heard a peep.

It's my first time selling on Donedeal so i'm not sure what "normal" is, but we've a new car on the way early next week so we'd rather shift the mini sooner rather than later (can only insure 1 at a time etc).

Any thoughts on what I could do better in the ad?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-mini-one-taxed-and-nctd/16267153

No thoughts so? Still very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Nothing you can really do at the moment except drop the price.
    Ad is fine. Pictures are good. But it is holiday time now so things are always slow around this time for all types of sales nevet mind cars.

You have a small target audience to sell to. So it makes it that much harder.

Pay to highlight the ad so more people see it if you dont want to drop price. That will give you better indication whether price you have is acceptable to buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

It's only been a week - I don't think a yellow Mini is ever going to have the phone ringing off the hook unless it's priced considerably lower than other colours. The quality of the pictures in the ad are very poor. If you or a family member has a decent smartphone use it to take better pictures of the car from all angles along with a couple of interior shots. Get all receipts, service history and the 3 keys together and upload a picture of those too. I think the car is priced right and the description is fine, just keep in mind that a lot of people are away at the moment and August is typically a slow month for car sales.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    It's only been a week - I don't think a yellow Mini is ever going to have the phone ringing off the hook unless it's priced considerably lower than other colours. The quality of the pictures in the ad are very poor. If you or a family member has a decent smartphone use it to take better pictures of the car from all angles along with a couple of interior shots. Get all receipts, service history and the 3 keys together and upload a picture of those too. I think the car is priced right and the description is fine, just keep in mind that a lot of people are away at the moment and August is typically a slow month for car sales.

In what way are they poor? Low resolution? I can't help that, Donedeal resizes them. 5 angles not enough? I mean, the drivers side of the car is a mirror image to the passenger side. I've taken 4 interior shots, it's a mini, there's not much more interior shots to take.

Price wise it's cheaper or at least very competitive than most others around its mileage and year. There's some bargaining room, but not much, especially if I were to reduce it more to get it shifted.

Question though. What do we do when we get the new car? We can't get insured on both. Keep driving the mini until it's sold, leaving the new one parked up? Park up the mini until its sold (wont it be uninsured if someone wanted to test drive it?).
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No thoughts so? Still very quiet.

IMHO you are asking crazy money for a 06 Mini One. That's not even a Cooper...

grogi wrote: »
    IMHO you are asking crazy money for a 06 Mini One. That's not even a Cooper...

Sounds like someone wants a yellow mini for cheaper :P

I'm only basing it on other Mini Ones. If im crazy, what do you think of those looking for 3-4k for 06 mini ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    What were the pictures taken with? I know DoneDeal resizes them but the quality on your is exceptionally poor - it looks like they were taken on a 10 year old camera phone. DoneDeal only allows ten pictures so I'd take five of the exterior, one of an alloy, three of the interior and one of the receipts/history/keys.

My wife recently sold a blue Mini One on Done Deal, 85,000 miles, 2007. The car was in excellent condition & she let it go for €4000. it's very hard to gauge car values at the moment, with Sterling the way it is imports are soaring & it's the peak holiday season as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

agfasfos wrote: »
    My wife recently sold a blue Mini One on Done Deal, 85,000 miles, 2007. The car was in excellent condition & she let it go for €4000. it's very hard to gauge car values at the moment, with Sterling the way it is imports are soaring & it's the peak holiday season as well.

But that was r56 already, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

No, it was the Mini One, 1.4 Litre petrol.

Advertisement