Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I think this thread definitely as all the angles covered if you are selling a car from person A to B but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on selling/getting rid of a car that either needs a lot of work or to be scrapped?

Its a 2003 Peugeot 206 and needs about a €1000 worth of repairs which is why I no longer want it - not worth the effort when its already 12 years old and we had been thinking about downsizing to a one car household. But if someone was able to do the work themselves or wanted to strip it for parts it's not a bad little car (apart from the bits currently wrong with it that are fixable just not economically viable).

Ideal world, I'll get a few hundred for it but really at this point, I'd be happy not to end up paying to have it taken away. Obviously the likes of DoneDeal.ie or Carzone aren't much use in this case, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You have two choices really.

1. Advertise it on donedeal with an honest description of what needs going to it and invite offers. A self employed mechanic might be interested in it at a cheap price in order to repair it in his own time in order to sell it on. Downside is that you will probably get lots of silly offers from messers.

2. Ring around various scrap yards and get a price from them. They will all probably be in the same ballpark and you will most likely get offered the going rate of it's weight in scrap. If they have to collect then then expect them to deduct that from the scrap value. Upside is that it's out of your sight without dealing with tyre kickers. Just make sure to get a certificate of destruction from them if it's being scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Help me out...

https://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/2012-peugeot-308-active-hdi-1-6-diesel/10003572

Fairly competitively priced from what I've seen elsewhere. Not a single contact and it's been on nearly a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Help me out...

https://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/2012-peugeot-308-active-hdi-1-6-diesel/10003572

Fairly competitively priced from what I've seen elsewhere. Not a single contact and it's been on nearly a month.

Not sure why but its coming up donedeal.co.uk for me, instead of donedeal.ie .. Wonder is this affecting anything?

Also, i'd remove the few bits from the boot when taking the pictures.

Similar cars (same year and engine) are ranging from £5,320 up to £10,120 so its not too badly priced. Its not really a popular car and if I were buying a diesel hatchback then a Peugeot 308 wouldnt be first to come to mind, so it may take longer than its competitors to sell.

Not sure why but its coming up donedeal.co.uk for me, instead of donedeal.ie .. Wonder is this affecting anything?

Not sure, maybe just because I searched via PC and I'm at work in the North.

Pretty sure I listed it on the .ie version.

• Advertisement

French car for sale with a photo of jump leads in the boot. Don't think it will inspire confidence in even the most die hard French car fan. :pac:

On a more serious note, you need to look at your asking price, here is a similar one being sold by a dealer asking for the same sort of money:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/308/1.6-HDI/161714310089400830/

A cash buyer will buy it probably haggle more off that price and still get a warranty. Yours needs to be a bit cheaper than that to attract a buyer away from the dealer and warranty.

Fair enough.

I would have expected at least a few calls though, even those looking to haggle.

Not a single peep!

Problem is that when buying private most people expect to knock off a few hundred euro off the asking price, maybe €500 or bit more if they are lucky. Most will not expect to knock €1k minimum off so won't bother trying. Your car needs to be at least €1k cheaper than what a dealer is selling theirs for.

A few other things to remember is unfortunately the 308 was never a really loved car with average joe, they prefer the Corolla, Golf, Focus, etc. Now it will appeal to some but they will not the same sort of money they can get a more popular model for.

Your car is also at a price point where alot of people need to borrow to buy. Alot of banks are insisting on people buying from registered dealers before loaning them money which rules out buying privately.

Also your model has also been replaced by a new model which hits resale values further.

A dealer offered me €9k cash last month.

Might not be a bad plan at this rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hey,
    Could someone have a peek at my ad? It's for a Toyota Corolla 1.4 Petrol with a two year NCT; https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-petrol-two-year-nct/10167918

New clutch fitted June '15
    New front brake pads July '15
    NCT exp: 09/2017
    Tax exp: 24/04/2016

Putting it at five and a half to give myself wriggle room, but wondering would the price scare off people? Have had someone lowballing me at two and a half, but I'm not going to entertain them, as I feel that that's way too low.

Would a picture of the tax and NCT help at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hey,

Is there a specific forum/thread where I can post up details of my car and see what people think its worth? I'm looking for a rough valuation for when I sell it in a few weeks time.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Patww79 wrote: »
    I think this is the closest thing but it's generally frowned upon. Not sure if it's officially barred or not.

Yeah I completely understand, was just wondering :) Don't want to over/under valuate it for when it comes to sale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rizzee wrote: »
    Yeah I completely understand, was just wondering :) Don't want to over/under valuate it for when it comes to sale time.
    One month later, and no comments on my own car. This thread may not be the best place. Have seen others post new threads asking, instead of posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Personally I always ignore stickys, I think you should go new thread on it. By some coincidence I clicked in here today though.

Imo the car is presented well but you are starting out around €1k overpriced, you are defo scaring people away.

I'd put it up at €4750, see how it goes, drop to 4500 if I had to and take offers over 4250.

You've cleaned it up well but it is a basic spec model and it doesn't look like it's in the best of condition tbh. Just have a look at what else is in the €5500 price ballpark.

2 years newer, new model shape, looks like a Sol spec, lots of NCT and a more desirable engine http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10551857

• Registered Users Posts: 47 vrrv

First post is a great read! Will be selling my car soon and found it great thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DOC2015

Just wondering if you need to take your insurance disk out when you sell the car? I think I remember someone telling me to take it with you? Or am I being overly cautious?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

DOC2015 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you need to take your insurance disk out when you sell the car? I think I remember someone telling me to take it with you? Or am I being overly cautious?

Yes. Leave the tax and the NCT discs, but take your insurance disc. It's your policy, nobody else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DOC2015

PauloMN wrote: »
    Yes. Leave the tax and the NCT discs, but take your insurance disc. It's your policy, nobody else's.

Thanks for that Paulo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Any other sites to to advertise on? I have mine on adverts.ie/carzone/donedeal/carsireland, and no interest yet, barring a couple of comments on adverts. Sold my Fusion a few years ago in a week and a half (albeit a €5K car vs €15k car this time). Have the price below average vs. the other cars being advertised (the only cheaper ones are the UK imports which need to be VRT'd or have 3 times the mileage).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

astrofool wrote: »
    Any other sites to to advertise on? I have mine on adverts.ie/carzone/donedeal/carsireland, and no interest yet, barring a couple of comments on adverts. Sold my Fusion a few years ago in a week and a half (albeit a €5K car vs €15k car this time). Have the price below average vs. the other cars being advertised (the only cheaper ones are the UK imports which need to be VRT'd or have 3 times the mileage).

Any link to the DD ad? There's CBG.ie but I personally wouldn't bother with it (or most of the other sites tbh), DoneDeal is the only one worth using. If you have no interest on DoneDeal then it could be down to the pics/description and possibly the price. Most people got paid yesterday so I'd bump the ad up on DD and see if there's any interest over the next few days.

Here is it on adverts:
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/grand-c-max/2011-ford-grand-c-max-titanium/9606990

Have the same on donedeal etc. (although on donedeal there's only a section for C-Max, no Grand C-Max category), I'm not that happy with the outside photos, fading light on one of the only dry days a few weeks ago, and plan on getting better ones tomorrow. Completely forgot about cbg, will stick it up there with the newer pictures as well. Knew about the pay day, hence asking this question now in case I was missing something obvious :)

Edit: here's the donedeal link: https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-ford-grand-c-max-1-6-tdci-titanium-95ps/11256669

One thing I will say about the ad is the description isn't great - I know technically it lists all the options which is fine but if I were you I'd make it a bit easier to read by using paragraphs as well as making it more interesting and appealing by saying what it's like on fuel, emphasise the cheap tax rate, the reliability, over a years NCT left, serviced by main dealer, etc.

Photos are ok but for the main picture I'd have the front and side of the car on show.

GLWS :)

Thanks, the front/side was one that turned out a bit too dark to use, will probably use that once I do the new set, and give more of a description (although NCT expiry, tax is elsewhere on the ad, I'm guessing people don't always look there). I have it on carsireland which allows much more photos: http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1406413

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

Hi Guys,

Sorry to butt in but ye seem a knowledgeable bunch. I was wondering if ye could point me in the right direction. My parents have tasked me with the job of selling their car privately. I have taken all the tips on board (thanks for that) about pictures, valeting etc but I don't have a clue at what to value it at. Its a 2006, Peugeot 407 Petrol. It has 51,700 miles on it and always main dealer serviced. It has 2 years NCT and imo is in very good nick but it is still a 9/10 year old car. I haven't advertised it yet so hopefully you guys can give me a ballpark figure so i can get the ball rolling.

TIA
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

astrofool wrote: »
    Here is it on adverts:
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/grand-c-max/2011-ford-grand-c-max-titanium/9606990

Have the same on donedeal etc. (although on donedeal there's only a section for C-Max, no Grand C-Max category), I'm not that happy with the outside photos, fading light on one of the only dry days a few weeks ago, and plan on getting better ones tomorrow. Completely forgot about cbg, will stick it up there with the newer pictures as well. Knew about the pay day, hence asking this question now in case I was missing something obvious :)

Edit: here's the donedeal link: https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-ford-grand-c-max-1-6-tdci-titanium-95ps/11256669

nice car astrofool if i can sell mine i will give you a shout if its still available

may as well stick a link here to mine if anyone has any interest or feedback to improve the listing that would be much appreciated

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/308/2010-peugeot-308/9738897

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

may as well stick a link here to mine if anyone has any interest or feedback to improve the listing that would be much appreciated

Interior pictures are needed. When taking them make sure the interior is fully clean and have nothing in it (i.e. baby seats, seat covers, rubbish, dirt etc.)

No mention of NCT either.

On a side note, some people may be a bit weary of the car as the reg is blocked and pictures are taken in a carpark. Im sure the car is alright, and the fact you have great positive feedback on adverts is a huge help but some people may take that as a concern.

Have you advertised it anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

nice car astrofool if i can sell mine i will give you a shout if its still available

No interior photos and up on Adverts.ie. Stick it on Donedeal.

• Advertisement

In one of the pictures it looks like the reg is covered with black tape to hide the number? The picture of the tax disc was definitely taken at an awkward angle in order to conceal the reg number. I know the reg is visible in other pictures but this is something that is immediately apparent when looking through the pictures and it makes me wonder why you went to the effort of hiding it in the first place.

Advertisement