Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Thanks very much . I really appreciate the advice. It was very helpful. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickrick1

Vermelho wrote: »
    I am also getting nowhere with donedeal despite my car being a very good price, low mileage and great condition. Think I will try the Advertiser next based on your advice and am also in west of Ireland so maybe it's more popular here. Did you use the newspaper or their online classifieds?

I used the newspaper and the online classifieds. It was a response to the paper ad that sold it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mashie

Hi All-Am contemplating selling my uk import 2016 Titanium CMAX identical to this one with similar mileage http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/c-max/used-2016-161-ford-c-max-titanium-mas-tipperary-fpa-6745697790889089049 except I don't have a sunroof or reverse camera.

I hope to head over and get a similar 2017. Just wondering what ye think of price wise I could expect. I'm thinking €19.5k. Also am I better off with Autotrader or Done Deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The car needs to be substantially cheaper than what can be bought from a dealer here for. The one from a dealer for 21k might be bought for 20k with a no trade-in. That makes asking 19.5k privately expensive given for not much more you will get dealer peace of mind. You also need to look at what it would cost you to import the same car from the UK. That is what a private buyer here will be competing against. For example if I can go to the UK and buy one and have it VRT'd for 18.5k then why would I pay nearly 19.5k to you?

Out of interest, why are you going from a 2016 to a 2017 model? Seems like there really isn't all that much of a difference other than the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mashie

bazz26 wrote: »
    The car needs to be substantially cheaper than what can be bought from a dealer here for. The one from a dealer for 21k might be bought for 20k with a no trade-in. That makes asking 19.5k privately expensive given for not much more you will get dealer peace of mind. You also need to look at what it would cost you to import the same car from the UK. That is what a private buyer here will be competing against. For example if I can go to the UK and buy one and have it VRT'd for 18.5k then why would I pay nearly 19.5k to you?

Out of interest, why are you going from a 2016 to a 2017 model? Seems like there really isn't all that much of a difference other than the year.

Yeah I hear what you are saying but the dealer is quoting that as his cash price so say maybe wiggle room to get him to 20.5 was my thinking. Then I'd ask for 19.5. My aim here is to actually just keep the car up to date. I have access to the Ford Direct Employee scheme which sells on their car pool for mangers so I can get a discount on cars that are less than a year old. Its all arranged before I go over so its an easy transaction for me. If I can do it a lowish cost then fine but if not so be it. Was actually thinking of going for a Focus estate Tit X this time.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, I understand the benefits of the Ford Employee scheme.

Regarding dealer pricing, they price their cars with room for haggling on a straight deal. I'd expect more than €500 off their asking price. I still think you need to focus on what it would cost all in, to import an identical car from the UK because that is what you will be competing against here rather than dealer prices. You need to tempt someone was prepared to travel to the UK to buy the same car and make it more convenient to buy from you.

In my view some People will always be prepared to pay a premium for dealer peace of mind especially when your talking about large figures, the convenience of being able to trade their old car and the easier access to borrowing or credit where the lender will insist on the car being bought from a registered dealer.

Good luck with the sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Anyone any idea what Id likely get for 141D VW Golf 1.4 Tsi petrol....Highline model with 39000klm on clock... Have tried a search but haven't come across many

Bought from new, but its not getting the usage it should be getting as we have a 2nd family car now that everyone wants to drive now as its easy (Yaris Hybrid automatic:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Just gotta thank the boards community for this and other great threads. Imported a car 4 years ago following all the advise on here, sold the car this week following this thread and going back to UK this week for a new car. Thanks Boards ��

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Hi All

Better half looking to sell her 2010 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Active with 150k km on the clock. She imported from NI in 2013. What sort of price could she expect selling privately or as a trade in, Shes look at the new KIA Stonic 1.4 K2

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CianW5

TheBlock wrote: »
    Hi All

Better half looking to sell her 2010 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Active with 150k km on the clock. She imported from NI in 2013. What sort of price could she expect selling privately or as a trade in, Shes look at the new KIA Stonic 1.4 K2
    About 50cent might just sell it, if not lower it to 20cent you know. And Im being realistic your not going to sell it otherwise. Best option is scrappage. You would definitely get more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I wanted to send my car before we imported our next one from the UK. But we had no interest on adverts and carzone.

I got one phone call from a guy in Tralee who was interested in selling it for us. I thought it sounded slightly dodgy but we went there and about 2 weeks later he had it sold. We didn't get as much as we would have privately but we literally had about 50 views on the websites and not a single call despite dropping the price 3 times in about 6 weeks.

I think cars over 10k are hard to sell privately.
    I was considering selling via an auction house, but they all seem to be Dublin based. The Tralee garage may be an option for people if they are Munster based and having trouble selling privately and don't want to trade in.

Not sure if other garages buy cars like this, but it worked for us despite my initial scepticism!

I advertised it at 13,000, 12,000 eventually 11,000. They bought it for 10,000 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Sesame wrote: »
    I wanted to send my car before we imported our next one from the UK. But we had no interest on adverts and carzone.

Did you not use DoneDeal? :confused:

No, carzone and adverts. I thought they were the two big ones. Maybe I would have sold it on done deal!

Sesame wrote: »
    No, carzone and adverts. I thought they were the two big ones. Maybe I would have sold it on done deal!

For a car in that price range DoneDeal should have been your first choice. A few months ago I advertised a car on DoneDeal and Carzone. The car sold a few days later through DoneDeal and when I went to remove both ads it was obvious why. After four days the DoneDeal ad had around 1,200 views and the Carzone ad had around 50. People complain about DoneDeal charging more for an ad but the other sites simply can't compete in terms traffic.

It's truly baffling that people that want €10,000+ for their car are reluctant to pay the additional €6 to have it on the countries most popular classified site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    It's truly baffling that people that want €10,000+ for their car are reluctant to pay the additional €6 to have it on the countries most popular classified site.

The website got a small lifting, but in principle it is the same for years and completely inadequate to standards today. Only 10 pictures with resolution smaller than my 10 year old Nokia took, lack of archive etc.

Donedeal is doing nothing that would justify price increase (storage, hosting, bandwidth - everything is getting cheaper), simply leveraging dominating position. It's not €6 - it is €11 (reduced to €8.25 atm for old customers)...

It wasn't price that put me off advertising on done deal, I didn't realise it was the best one. I thought car zone was. Then when I didn't get much interest, I tried adverts as well as recommended here. (but isn't boards the same people as adverts so maybe biased?!)

grogi wrote: »
    Donedeal is doing nothing that would justify price increase (storage, hosting, bandwidth - everything is getting cheaper), simply leveraging dominating position. It's not €6 - it is €11 (reduced to €8.25 atm for old customers)

The price is justified by the huge amount of traffic the site receives compared to its rivals. Carzone doesn't offer high resolution pictures either and their description format is barely legible. Of the two sites I'd say it's Carzone that needs a major overhaul because they aren't able to compete with DoneDeal as it is.

When I referred to the price I stated it was an additional €6 (compared to what Carzone charge). €11 is not an unreasonable price, especially when you consider that Carzone were charging €50 for a basic ad before DoneDeal entered the market. I've been a regular DoneDeal user for years so they only charge me €8.25 for now but when the time comes and they're asking for €11 I'll pay it without hesitation because what are my alternatives? Pay €5 on Carzone for a miserable fraction of the views?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    The price is justified by the huge amount of traffic the site receives compared to its rivals. Carzone doesn't offer high resolution pictures either and their description format is barely legible. Of the two sites I'd say it's Carzone that needs a major overhaul because they aren't able to compete with DoneDeal as it is.

When I referred to the price I stated it was an additional €6 (compared to what Carzone charge). €11 is not an unreasonable price, especially when you consider that Carzone were charging €50 for a basic ad before DoneDeal entered the market. I've been a regular DoneDeal user for years so they only charge me €8.25 for now but when the time comes and they're asking for €11 I'll pay it without hesitation because what are my alternatives? Pay €5 on Carzone for a miserable fraction of the views?

Yes but DD are now where carzone were at the time DD entered the market. DD know they have the market share (private sales sellers anyway) and upped their prices without adding value because their competition is inferior. All it will take is a good rival to enter the market and do to DD what DD did to carzone a few years back. DD could find themselves going from being the default choice to nothing very fast just like Buy n Sell did years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair to donedeal they’ve added a lot over the years. It used to be very basic.

I'm thinking of selling my (excellent condition, wellminded, much loved, 10 yr-old) car privately as I'd get so little for it now as a trade-in. I've never sold a car before so, - going by this thread,- I'd probably go with Donedeal. What's the situation re the Greenlight history information? Is it mostly dealerships that supply that information or would I stand a better chance of selling if I provided that?

• Advertisement

There's no reason not to provide it. It's just the serial number on the reg cert. I'd be wary of sellers that don't do it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Need to sell my VW Golf TDI 105 BHP Edition SE M5F 1.6 towards the end of the month. 70k miles on it, are the vehicle valuations on myvehicle.ie any use? I've got one spare from previous, and was going to give it a go. No idea how it works. Hoping to get 10k for it, in good nick, NCT up until August 2019, full service history.

The myvehicle just takes an average of asking prices I think.

One thing to look at is how much you can get a similar one for from the uk, ad VRT and maybe 300, see what you get. Pick one of the cheaper examples on auto trader that isn't cat d or cat c. You'll need to be cheaper.

You could also look at similar ones for sale privately on donedeal, again you'll need to be cheaper.

The VRT calculator OMSP may give you a guideline price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dclifford

Selling my car and need to give bank details to the buyer. What details do I give? Is it the IBAN number?

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 joseywales

IBAN should be sufficient. They can get the BIC from the IBAN. May need name on bank account also to do a bank transfer.

If you’re giving them the IBAN, you may as well give them the BIC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

Hey guys any reason not to send a potential buyer pics of the log book? They want it to run a finance check on the car. Thought you could do that with the reg? Seems legit but a little egar and has sent me a copy of his drivers license.

You can do it with the reg, there’s no reason for them to need the logbook. The serial number of the logbook gives anyone who wants it the current owners name/address/email/phone number through motortax.ie, so even if you blank these details off the cert itself they.l get them through the serial number on the cert.

I’d be a little wary in case they were trying to get a key made up or sonething odd like that.

No way I would and how do you know the guy at the end of the phone or email is the guy in the driver's license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just replied to say he didn't need it for the finance check will see what he says. Might ask for an uptodate pic of the licence exif shows the pic was 3 months old. If they insist and I blank out the VIN and serial on the front page is that safe?

Advertisement