Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

agfasfos wrote: »
    No, it was the Mini One, 1.4 Litre petrol.

If it was 1.4l then it was r56 with ep3 motor. Mini One R50 was with 1.6 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

Apologies, I thought your car was similar to the one my wife sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Is there anywhere other than the likes of Donedeal, or CBG to get an idea of what to price a car at ? (how long is a piece of string !)

Looked at CBG and there's a huge variance for similar models.

Also, does low mileage on a 2001 count for anything ?

thanks

Is there anywhere other than the likes of Donedeal, or CBG to get an idea of what to price a car at ? (how long is a piece of string !)

Looked at CBG and there's a huge variance for similar models.

Also, does low mileage on a 2001 count for anything ?

thanks

VRT calculator. It will give you the value determined by Revenue. But really for 2001 car it will give silly figures.

For such vintage it really is about condition and insureability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

grogi wrote: »
    VRT calculator. It will give you the value determined by Revenue. But really for 2001 car it will give silly figures.

For such vintage it really is about condition and insureability.

Thanks, I'd love to be able to achieve what the VRT calc says ! realistically its a 1.9 petrol, so insurance likely to be a problem despite the very low mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

When you sell a car and post the change of ownership form to Shannon do they write back to the seller to say that ownership has gone through?

tanko wrote: »
    When you sell a car and post the change of ownership form to Shannon do they write back to the seller to say that ownership has gone through?

No. You can check if it went through on motortax.ie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks, I'd love to be able to achieve what the VRT calc says ! realistically its a 1.9 petrol, so insurance likely to be a problem despite the very low mileage.

What car is it? Assuming it's a BMW if it's 1.9 petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi Guys,

Recently thinking of selling my Audi A6, I imported from the UK myself in Dec 2016,

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-s-line/16161439

Would appreciate any feedback,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think anyone is going to pay 22k for a nearly 6 year old A6 especially a private sale. Charles Hurst have a 2013 asking 24k.

Also there is no mention of service history in the advert which is important especially on a UK import. Not enough photos of the exterior either and interior shots look better when they are taken from the outside rather than up close in the seat.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is going to pay 22k for a nearly 6 year old A6 especially a private sale. Charles Hurst have a 2013 asking 24k.

Also there is no mention of service history in the advert which is important especially on a UK import. Not enough photos of the exterior either and interior shots look better when they are taken from the outside rather than up close in the seat.

Cheers Bazz

Will put in the service details as its going in next week for service & timing belt,

Billy G has a 2013 A6 Estate Automatic listed for 21k. Not an S-Line, but that gives the perspective...

grogi wrote: »
    Billy G has a 2013 A6 Estate Automatic listed for 21k. Not an S-Line, but that gives the perspective...

Thanks that's probably around what I would expect its worth alright,

TobinIT wrote: »
    Thanks that's probably around what I would expect its worth alright,

But Bill G's is a year younger.

Have you looked at how much it would cost to import the same car from the UK now? That is what you are competing against when trying to sell yours.

But Bill G's is a year younger.

Have you looked at how much it would cost to import the same car from the UK now? That is what you are competing against when trying to sell yours.

Yes its a year younger but I thought you said it wasn't an s-line?
    S-Line versions do tend to hold value a bit better as most people seem to go for them if they can but its down to personal preference,

You are looking at around 21k to import a similar s-line from the UK,

I know mine cost me 23k once I included travel costs, etc.

I'm not 100% pushed on selling it that's why I haven't put it in at a low price, I am just seeing what the market is like, if I got a good offer I would probably let it go.

I am just seeing what is out there before the mileage gets close to 100k,

TobinIT wrote: »
    Yes its a year younger but I thought you said it wasn't an s-line?
    S-Line versions do tend to hold value a bit better as most people seem to go for them if they can but its down to personal preference,

You are looking at around 21k to import a similar s-line from the UK,

I know mine cost me 23k once I included travel costs, etc.

I'm not 100% pushed on selling it that's why I haven't put it in at a low price, I am just seeing what the market is like, if I got a good offer I would probably let it go.

I am just seeing what is out there before the mileage gets close to 100k,

To be honest I'm not here to argue with you but you did ask for advice on how to sell it. As I said earlier Charles Hurst have a 2013 S Line and are asking 24k, there is haggling in that price and also a dealer warranty. I cannot see someone paying you close to 22k for one that is a year older with no warranty. Also didn't you say that you bought it last December? It has lost alot more than 1k or 2k in 9 months.

Just as an example here is a 2012 A6 Avant S Line with similar mileage:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707016952928?seller-type=trade&transmission=Manual&make=AUDI&postcode=s711nf&advertising-location=at_cars&model=A6%20AVANT&sort=price-asc&year-from=2012&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&maximum-badge-engine-size=2.0&maximum-mileage=80000&keywords=s%20line&page=1

£13,500 = €14,300 using An Post currency converter,
    VRT = just under €4000 using VRT statistic code - 40188161
    Flights and ferry = €500
    Total = €18,800

That's really what you will be competing against. Weak sterling as a result of Brexit has really impacted the used values of cars here especially premium models which are more affordable than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

To be honest I'm not here to argue with you but you did ask for advice on how to sell it. As I said earlier Charles Hurst have a 2013 S Line and are asking 24k, there is haggling in that price and also a dealer warranty. I cannot see someone paying you close to 22k for one that is a year older with no warranty. Also didn't you say that you bought it last December? It has lost alot more than 1k or 2k in 9 months.

Just as an example here is a 2012 A6 Avant S Line with similar mileage:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707016952928?seller-type=trade&transmission=Manual&make=AUDI&postcode=s711nf&advertising-location=at_cars&model=A6%20AVANT&sort=price-asc&year-from=2012&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&maximum-badge-engine-size=2.0&maximum-mileage=80000&keywords=s%20line&page=1

£13,500 = €14,300 using An Post currency converter,
    VRT = just under €4000 using VRT statistic code - 40188161
    Flights and ferry = €500
    Total = €18,800

That's really what you will be competing against. Weak sterling as a result of Brexit has really impacted the used values of cars here especially premium models which are more affordable than ever.
    And that purchase price in the UK is from a dealer there, rather than a private sale.

And that purchase price in the UK is from a dealer there, rather than a private sale.

And it's even a 2013 rather than 2012 which I've just realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickrick1

Hi all - I hope to sell my car in the next month. It is a 2015 5 series BMW. Just wondering which sites are best. A couple of years ago I sold an old Peugeot 206 (wife's car which we had from new in 1999) on Done Deal and it went the same day I put it up, but that was for less than 700 euros. As I said wondering which sites are best at present and on the basis that this is a more up market car. Cheers Mick.

I don't think it will make much difference as a car of that value is going to have a very small market no matter where you advertise it. Donedeal usually gets the highest footfall but the footfall for a 2015 5 Series private sale will be very small.

• Advertisement

I don't think it will make much difference as a car of that value is going to have a very small market no matter where you advertise it. Donedeal usually gets the highest footfall but the footfall for a 2015 5 Series private sale will be very small.

I think you make a fair point. Price will need to be right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi all,

I've had my 3 series up for sale for just over a week now, just wondering if anyone has any pointers on improving the ad?

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/16469507

Also, has anyone ever experienced issuing when receiving cash for their car? I haven't sold privately before and not sure what the procedure would be in terms of lodging a cheque/cash for "X" amount. Is it likely to flag questions from the bank in terms of tax etc?

Thanks

I would not be accepting a cheque under any circumstances, just too easy for it to be dodgy. Either cash deposited straight into your account or electronic bank transfer.

Regarding your car, a week is not that long to have no interest especially at this time of year when the summer holidays are just over. Also your car is a base model 3 Series which unfortunately is not a very desireable car. I also think your asking price is a bit optimistic, yes it's got low mileage but people won't pay that much of a premium for that given it's nearly an 8 year old car and a higher spec similar car could be got in the UK for less and the exchange rate is very good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

I would not be accepting a cheque under any circumstances, just too easy for it to be dodgy. Either cash deposited straight into your account or electronic bank transfer.

Regarding your car, a week is not that long to have no interest especially at this time of year when the summer holidays are just over. Also your car is a base model 3 Series which unfortunately is not a very desireable car. I also think your asking price is a bit optimistic, yes it's got low mileage but people won't pay that much of a premium for that given it's nearly an 8 year old car and a higher spec similar car could be got in the UK for less and the exchange rate is very good at the moment.

Thanks Bazz, appreciate the info.

Will take it all on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Well lads, I've had my car up on Donedeal, Adverts and Carzone for a couple of weeks now and haven't had a nibble. Just want to see if I'm being unrealistic on price or if the ad needs more? I know it's an old car but it's low mileage and taxed and NCT'd? Just looking to get rid as the replacement is bought!

http://www.adverts.ie/13628585

Sold the 2015 BMW 5 series. Put it up on Donedeal at a fairly keen price but got no bites for the first week even with a couple of significant price reductions in that time. Placed an ad in Galway Advertiser and got one person interested within a day. Met last Saturday and after some haggling we agreed on a deal. Finalised deal tonight and car is gone. Since agreeing deal on Saturday past I had one other very keen cash buyer from Donedeal. So in total I had 2 responses from cash buyers - no tyre kickers - happy with price I got - a lot less than garages are asking but within the range that I had hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Vermelho

mickrick1 wrote: »
    Sold the 2015 BMW 5 series. Put it up on Donedeal at a fairly keen price but got no bites for the first week even with a couple of significant price reductions in that time. Placed an ad in Galway Advertiser and got one person interested within a day. Met last Saturday and after some haggling we agreed on a deal. Finalised deal tonight and car is gone. Since agreeing deal on Saturday past I had one other very keen cash buyer from Donedeal. So in total I had 2 responses from cash buyers - no tyre kickers - happy with price I got - a lot less than garages are asking but within the range that I had hoped for.

I am also getting nowhere with donedeal despite my car being a very good price, low mileage and great condition. Think I will try the Advertiser next based on your advice and am also in west of Ireland so maybe it's more popular here. Did you use the newspaper or their online classifieds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

I have had car up for sale on donedeal and other websites no luck selling. I saw ad for cash for cars on TV channel over in UK. I looked up sites in Ireland like carboughtforcashie. Do people recommend selling this way. Is it legit?. Has anyone had experience of selling on sites like the above. Whats the site carboughtforcash.ie like. Any info. Would be a great help

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Do people recommend selling this way.

No
    Is it legit?

Yes

• Advertisement

These cashforcar places are not going to give you a competitive price for your car. Think about it, if you cannot sell your car for x amount then how do you expect these cashforcar places to give you the same money and make a profit from selling it on.

How they work is that they offer you a slightly lower price over the phone, when you agree to meet them they then proceed to find faults with your car and knock chunks of money off it until their offer is pittance and hope you accept they are doing you a favour. Also these guys can be very shifty characters usually from the same clan that offer driveway tarmac services so think long and hard about getting involved with these people or inviting them to your property to size up your home, I mean car.

Advertisement