Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lifianmis

I will be selling my daughters car as she has gone abroad. If someone comes to the house and buys it I will send off the reg. cert. but if they take the car away what happens if something happens between them leaving my house and the change in ownership on the new reg. cert?

1. Should I get them to show me proof of insurance and how do they do that?

2. Should I get them to sign something saying they bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,391 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

lifianmis wrote: »
    I will be selling my daughters car as she has gone abroad. If someone comes to the house and buys it I will send off the reg. cert. but if they take the car away what happens if something happens between them leaving my house and the change in ownership on the new reg. cert?

1. Should I get them to show me proof of insurance and how do they do that?

2. Should I get them to sign something saying they bought it?

1 - No you just make sure you post the reg cert off that day with the correct date of sale and make sure there's no insurance disc left on it. If they crash in to a brand new Ferrari with the car and have no insurance it's of no concern to you once sale is complete. You should check for proof of insurance for the test drive of her car, this will be listed on their insurance cert.

2 - I usually write out a receipt stating date of sale, no harm so they have something with them should they be stopped confirming sale. You should also take a photo of the reg cert filled in and perhaps let them take a photo of it too, then you send it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lifianmis

So the "sale is complete" when the reg cert is signed, the money handed over and the buyer drives off with the car! Just want to be sure I'm doing it right! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,391 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

lifianmis wrote: »
    So the "sale is complete" when the reg cert is signed, the money handed over and the buyer drives off with the car! Just want to be sure I'm doing it right! Thanks.

Exactly, just make sure you post the reg cert away immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Always good to take a photocopy of the log book once the change of ownership has been filled in with the new owner's name and address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭forumdedum

To me the only way to deal is cash, and at that make sure the cash is real. That or completely the deal outside your bank where you can lodge a bank draft straight away.
    Once the cash has been handed over and the logbook has been signed, bring it to the post office and send it.

Thank you for this and your very good post. Is there anyway of checking the cash is real? I've seen machines in bookies I think, are these accessible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭forumdedum

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Selling a car tomorrow for cash. My plan is:
    Meet at bank to lodge money. I'll have the keys and logbook for signing.

Lodge money. When cleared, sign log book with buyer and hand over keys.

I should probably know this but how long does it take bank to lodge cash? is it immediate? Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dubdev

Hi everyone

Meeting someone today to look at my car for sale here http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/2009-honda-fit/11082586
    I'm selling it as I recently moved job and live within walking distance of work, and my partner has a car as well.
    I live in an apartment complex so I have to rent a car parking space. Between that, insurance and loan repayments, it adds up to quite a lot for something I only use to go to Lidl.

I'm meeting this person and showing them the car in our apartment's underground car park as this proves I live here as I have to swipe in, and there is CCTV. I'm going to give the car a hoover and car wash before they come. I have the logbook and the receipt from the dealer.
    The car has just been serviced a few weeks ago and there is a sticker from the garage. on the visor above the driver seat stating as much.

Anything else I need to do or do differently?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Hi everyone,

I am selling a car privately and a prospective buyer wants me to send a photo of both inside pages of the car logbook with my name on it. He said he just wants to make sure there is no lease/finance company on the certificate and that I can cover my address if I want.

Now I havn't looked at the log book since I bought the car so I am not sure what is in it. Is this normal? Do the details in it provide this information? (It was under finance as of last month but is now fully paid off)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The serial number of the logbook (in the corner) would allow a buyer to access your name/email address/phone number/address.

Finance company wouldn't be written on the logbook either way. He can do a history check for that.

I wouldn't be inclined to send this stuff to someone who presumably hasn't even seen the car yet?

• Advertisement

As Colm says a finance company will not be named on the logbook.

If a buyer wants to find out if there is outstanding finance on the car then let them do a history check on it or let them view your on the logbook in person when they come to look at the car. There is no way I would be sending some randomer a photocopy of the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Let's say I meet a buyer in the evening and they decide to buy my car then paying cash. I understand I need to check that they are insured to drive the car if they want to take it away.

I'd assume also that I should notify my insurance straight away but what if they are closed? Do people just notify them in the morning?

Whether the buyer is insured to drive the car away after they buy it, is not your concern. As soon as money changes hands, documents signed and keys handed over, etc then it becomes their property. Straight away contact your insurance company to inform them you are no longer the owner of the car and you want to either cancel/freeze the policy or transfer it to another car. If it is at a weekend then try and prearrange a time when you know the buyer will be picking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭buzzwell

I'm going to be selling my car soon but there's no insurance on it as I transferred it to the new one.

Any advice for meeting potential sellers I don't want around the house?

Would the best thing be to meet them at the top of the lane?

Do I ask for ID and their insurance if they want to test drive it?

Thanks G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Hello,
    Some advise please. Selling my car privately and the buyer asked that if he comes to view it (from Dublin to Galway) if he buys it would I drive it up to Dublin for him after (I'm not sure if that would be straight away or what) as he is a learner driver and not allowed on motorway.. sound weird?
    Just thinking that he could maybe use the old Galway-Dublin road though...? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Hello,
    Some advise please. Selling my car privately and the buyer asked that if he comes to view it (from Dublin to Galway) if he buys it would I drive it up to Dublin for him after (I'm not sure if that would be straight away or what) as he is a learner driver and not allowed on motorway.. sound weird?
    Just thinking that he could maybe use the old Galway-Dublin road though...? Any thoughts?

Don't do it. If he wants the car he can make his own arrangements to get it back to where he lives. Is he proposing that you get public transport back to Galway once you've delivered the car?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Don't do it. If he wants the car he can make his own arrangements to get it back to where he lives. Is he proposing that you get public transport back to Galway once you've delivered the car?
    Thanks PrettyBoy. Thinking the same thing, Not going to do it. He can bring someone with him that has a full license. It would be a long way outside of my comfort zone and then to top it off having to get a bus..... nah:)

Bit of a brass neck expecting you to do that.

Meet him at the bus station?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Meet him at the bus station?
    Yea, no worries. Problem was if he bought the car we would have an awkward silence for 2 hours back up to Dublin with him....and then I have to get a bus back to Galway....

• Advertisement

Meet him at the bus station in Galway...
    He buys car and fecks off in it
    Or
    He doesn't buy the car and gets the bus back

He can avoid the motorway. Takes considerably longer but who cares.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Meet him at the bus station in Galway...
    He buys car and fecks off in it
    Or
    He doesn't buy the car and gets the bus back

He can avoid the motorway. Takes considerably longer but who cares.
    Yea told him to take the old road or get someone to drive it back. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭higgins_j

Hi,

I'm selling my car. Transferred over my insurance to new motor already.
    Just wondering since I've no insurance on the car, if someone comes to view it can they drive it if they can prove their insurance details ?

Also, if a deal is done and money is exchanged and after they sign the vehicle registration cert which i will post, can they drive it away without me being liable for any damages

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Trading in a 05 yaris against a 15 focus, what should I be getting.

Small money from a dealer I'd imagine, better off selling it privately as good ones are popular with learner drivers.

If you set on just trading it then the important figure is the cost to change price. Dealers can give you great money for your old car to make it look like a great deal but they can just add it back onto the price of the car they are selling you.

Brother up got €1850 privately for his wife's 05 Yaris Blue last week. Think there was around 180k on it.

Just to add to that, he was offered €1200 against the other used car they were buying, ended up getting €500 off for buying straight, so net value of €700 to the dealer in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jwillo1

Hi Lads,

I'm selling my 09 Ford Focus Ghia, 1.8 Diesel. From what I can see my asking price is cheaper than most similar models on the market with same specs, although it does have a good bit of mileage on it. (clutch, flywheel and timing belt have all been replaced along with the brake pads although I'm not certain when they were done). I've had my ad up for a few weeks now and have had no bites. I'd appreciate any tips or advice you may have!

edit: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/focus/used-2009-983571983515-dublin-fpa-8330188084358243666

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jwillo1

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Post a link to the ad and we'll have a look :)

Lol apologies, that might be useful. edited and included above

Getting the NCT done might help, but the country is flooded with those.

• Advertisement

A fresh 2 year NCT would go along way to sell that car. Mileage may put people off too though.

Advertisement