Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Being honest you will get time wasters wherever you advertise it, part and parcel of selling stuff to joe public. The trick is to be able to gauge them from the initial conversation regarding the car. Alot of them will make silly offers or ask you what is your lowest price over the phone when they haven't even seen the car. At least some of those half interested in the car will make arrangements to view it and I wouldn't discuss offers until have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

I reckon you should put it on donedeal and see if you get much interest in it. Make sure to have decent photos and plenty of information within the ad.

Ive had a 2009 Volkswagen for sale for the last month. I have it advertised on both Donedeal and on Carzone and all the calls Ive got started with "Hi im calling about the car on donedeal". Also, the ad on donedeal has gotten much more views and it is much easier to edit your ad on donedeal rather than carzone. (Just my own story, maybe its just me).

Regarding 'wasters', your gonna get em. If you can stick out the odd call and text from them every once in a while, then the right buyer will come along eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Put in your ad no swaps, blind bids or best price requests, any that do call requesting either tell them to feck off and advise them to seek a refund for their glasses or English lessons.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Patww79 wrote: »

Seems like a decent car! The only thing I'd be worried about is the NCT, its up in 6 months and, if im correct, the last time it was tested wouldve been Jan 2014? Very hard to sell a car nowadays without NCT and still expect to get a decent price for it.

You can, if you book it in now you will get a fresh 2 year NCT from the date it passes.

• Advertisement

You ring them and get put on a priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Hi folks . Long story short I wanna trade down . I own the car ..no loans or finance . My question is will a garage give me money back if I trade a 12 reg in off say an 09 ?
    Thanks

You will be shafted on the value of your 2012 car presuming a dealer will even want to do a deal. They are in the business of making money so don't be shocked at what they might offer you in the way of cash your way.

Better off trying to sell it privately if you can or approach a dealer to sell it for you on your behalf for an agreed commission.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will be shafted on the value of your 2012 car presuming a dealer will even want to do a deal. They are in the business of making money so don't be shocked at what they might offer you in the way of cash your way.

Better off trying to sell it privately if you can or approach a dealer to sell it for you on your behalf for an agreed commission.

Thanks for your reply ...I'm just wary of private sales when u hear about the scams. I'm gonna email my pal's the pics and details and ask them to put the word out and see what that yields firstly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Selling a car tomorrow for cash. My plan is:

Meet at bank to lodge money. I'll have the keys and logbook for signing.

Lodge money. When cleared, sign log book with buyer and hand over keys.

Post logbook straight away for change of ownership.

Is this the right approach?

One thing in my mind is insurance, i.e. do I need to worry that they might not be insured to drive the car away or does it matter to me once the change of ownership is signed on the logbook?

Also is it worth having some sort of selling contract saying they are buying the car as is?

Insurance is the new owner's problem from the moment you hand over the keys. Just make sure to notify your insurance company straight away to say you are no longer the owner of the car.

It's a good idea to take a photo copy of the signed log book before you post it too. You can give the seller a receipt if you want but as it's a private sale there really is no comeback from the buyer's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Bit of an odd question but does anyone believe there's a best day/time of the week to advertise a car for sale? When will sites like DoneDeal get the most traffic during the week? I put a car up last Monday but didn't get much interest. A friend of mine says he puts his up on Fridays as people will look for cars over the weekend while they're off work. I'm not sure what the best day to do it is. Am I mad for even asking? :o

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Bit of an odd question but does anyone believe there's a best day/time of the week to advertise a car for sale? When will sites like DoneDeal get the most traffic during the week? I put a car up last Monday but didn't get much interest. A friend of mine says he puts his up on Fridays as people will look for cars over the weekend while they're off work. I'm not sure what the best day to do it is. Am I mad for even asking? :o

Was your friend's car the exact same as yours, same condition, same colour, same mileage, same asking price, same description, etc? If not then the logic of placing the advert up on a particular day doesn't really apply.

PrettyBoy wrote: »

I find Saturdays are the busiest ....more people tend to post adds and place offers, that's from my experience !...nothing scientific to back that up mind u !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Guys I'm looking for some advice here, I've had my car up for sale for nearly a month now and I've received very little interest, I've lowered the price and bumped it up a few times but still no luck.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-mazda-6-new-nct/8909956?offset=4

I think the description in the ad is clear, not sure what else should be there? It needs nothing, 18 months NCT left and in great overall condition but all I've gotten is a couple of texts..I thought it was reasonably priced compared to others out there but maybe not :confused:

Genuinely looking for any advice/criticism/tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

AG918 wrote: »
    Guys I'm looking for some advice here, I've had my car up for sale for nearly a month now and I've received very little interest, I've lowered the price and bumped it up a few times but still no luck.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-mazda-6-new-nct/8909956?offset=4

I think the description in the ad is clear, not sure what else should be there? It needs nothing, 18 months NCT left and in great overall condition but all I've gotten is a couple of texts..I thought it was reasonably priced compared to others out there but maybe not :confused:

Genuinely looking for any advice/criticism/tips.

That looks all good. The texts can sometimes be fine, reply to any you receive, the last 2 cars I sold initial contact was over text with the buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Take the price of the tax out of the ad as it's on the high side. My tax was almost €700 on the car I sold a month or two ago and I never advertised the price of the tax - let them come and see it and fall in love with it and then the tax won't matter half as much :D Seriously tho it worked for me and I did read in some motor mag that you should not 'advertise' the eye watering tax price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Emsloe wrote: »
    Take the price of the tax out of the ad as it's on the high side. My tax was almost €700 on the car I sold a month or two ago and I never advertised the price of the tax - let them come and see it and fall in love with it and then the tax won't matter half as much :D Seriously tho it worked for me and I did read in some motor mag that you should not 'advertise' the eye watering tax price.

Cheers, took your advice.

Any opinions on the price? I think considering the age and condition of the car it's a relative bargain but I knocked a few hundred quid off just now..not sure what else I can do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Tbh I had no luck with Donedeal unless you count tyre kickers and time wasters. Sold it through my local paper in the end - first call I got turned into the person who bought it. I'd had it on Donedeal for 2+ months before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

What car were you selling?

Regarding phone calls v messages, I prefer to call sellers and ask all of the initial questions there and then which only takes a few minutes as opposed to sending messages back and forth all day.

I think your car has somewhat of an advantage over a GTi in that insurance many be a bit more affordable for someone because it's not a GTi which may make less of a thief magnet.

• Advertisement

Advertisement