Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

> Without the Voting rights act in place before 2024 , it could genuinely be the last proper Election they ever have.

But could that actually be a good thing in that it will force the system to be changed? Yes, it would mean another 4 years of the disaster that is Trump, and the dodgy voting rules become more dodgy to enable red states to remain red... But wouldn't that then force the hand of the bluer places to say enough of this and start serious moves to break up the union? Would the red states then flinch and back off from the nonsense such that a more sensible system can be put in place to keep things together?

It's a game of chicken though, which so far the Democrats are repeatedly losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the Democrats made serious noises about breaking up the union, it would just raise the temperature and lead to more sabre rattling from the Republicans. You may have your sensible establishment Republicans who would like to strike a more conciliatory tone, but I think the way the Republican party is going those voices would be drowned out or silenced. It just raises the probability of open confrontation and that is exactly what many in Trump's base seem to be seeking - the display they put on during 1/6 and the disturbing amount of support those actions had with the wider Republican base is indicative of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Can Trump use this to try make another IRS write-off claim if he has persuaded money-market speculators to invest in the vehicle and it crashes before it's stated launch date next month has been reached? I'd be surprised if he hasn't planned for another IRS write-off claim.

I expect D Trump Snr or Jnr to make a statement tonight on their usual style slamming former NY Gov Andrew Cuomo as he's been charged with a misdemeanor sex crime related charge in Albany City Court tonight.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well no , it really wouldn't be a good thing.

Given his current absolute control over the GOP , if they got into power in '22 or '24 does anyone honestly think that Trump would try for the "President for Life" gig?

He'll claim that it's the only way to be safe as the Democrats can't be trusted because they cheat so much blah blah blah.

If Trump were to cheat his way to victory in 2024 it would be the end of the US as anything remotely close to a functioning democracy.

Saying this even a few years ago would have been rampant hyperbolic lunacy , but today sadly it's a very genuine and tangible risk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I wouldn't be worried about the duration of Trumps potential "president for life" gig if he were to get back in in 2024. He'd need to majorly turn around his health to be lasting any significant duration.

What others may manage to screw with in the background is a massive concern, but if it's dependent on Trump not killing himself from eating too many Big Mac's the time they would have to work with will surely be limited. If the VP was someone competent it would be a big problem, but Trump isn't likely to have someone with any political skills as his VP, and anyone with sights on the presidency after Trump will be wanting to keep a safe distance until after he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He has family that you can be sure will try and cash in on their father's fame/infamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think we need to dispense with the idea of Trump dropping dead from poor lifestyle choices. The way people talk about him, he should be dead ten years already, but he's not. He'll die one day, and poor lifestyle may be a factor, but I am not confident that it's imminent.

There certainly HAS been a certain brain drain of useful talent but The show isn't over till ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well obviously , but Trump will have poisoned the well such that the GOP will claim that voting can no longer be trusted so they use the method that those infallible founding fathers used and each State will send forth Electors chosen by the Governors and/or State House/Senate of which they control the majority.

They'll wrap themselves up in the Flag and the "originalist" constitution and simply refuse to recognise Elections anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump claiming he helped Youngkin win last night despite the fact Youngkin avoided Trump and his MAGA message like the plague

Would love to see the Dems start calling fraud on the election and demand audits just to pìss him off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The mention of Trump Jr. does remind that above all else, it's always worth remembering that this family consistently presents itself as one with barely a shred of decency or empathy. Why in this case? Because Trump Jr. is currently selling T-Shirts from his website, mocking Alec Baldwin's recent and tragic on-set shooting.

Donald Trump Jr. is selling T-shirts on his web site that mock the fatal shooting on Alec Baldwin's movie set.

The T-shirts promoted on his website include the tagline "guns don't kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people."

The shirts retail for $27.99 and appeared online after Baldwin accidentally fired a prop gun on a movie set that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza, Insider reported.

Presumably, this is a bitter retaliation because of Baldwin's frequent impersonation of Donald TRump Sr. on SNL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Trump comments on Virginia are absurd as he lost the state by 10 points and when Corey Stewart run for senate on a pure MAGA ticket he lost by 16 points.

Youngkin has set a template for other GOP people in blue/purple states, just do enough to keep him happy but keep him away especially towards the end. The 2 Georgia senators who lost in January learned this lesson the hard way.

The statement however is more proof if any was needed he will run in 2024, its killing him Youngkin is getting all this shine,,,,as if he is getting to step aside and allow Pence, RDS the GOP nomination ,,,,probably one of the few things that comfort the Dems atm.

Post edited by Rjd2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It makes it clear that in those states trump's name is muck, and without those purple states trump will never win in 2024. So what's the GOP leadership to do?

Its a brutal thing to say and I would never wish this on anyone,,,,but from a pure strategic POV the best thing for the GOP would be Trump to drop dead before then.

He won't be beaten in a primary because he has minimum 30% GOP vote locked in and I assume the likes of De Santis and Hailey would not want the hassle and focus on 2028 instead.

If I were a Biden/Harris I'd be much more content to run against Trump than the other contenders such as RDS, Hailey etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If they get a bunch of governor, etc... wins in though, it makes it alot easier to turn the states red from purple by being able to implement various voting right/suppression rules.

So it wouldnt matter how toxic he is if they can basically reduce the ability of demographics that traditonally don't vote rep to vote at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm inclined to agree with this. If he runs again, it'll end in defeat for the GOP unless the Democrats repeat their mistake of 2016.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Trump-like figure to replace him. I thought the GOP would discard him for a boilerplate copy but their base still seem to be obsessed with him and he'll burn the GOP if they abandon him properly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Its near impossible to replicate Trump. I have heard some have said you may get an intellectual version of Trump but that's not possible!

Trump even before he ran for president was a piece of pop culture who had marketed himself as the American dream personified. He also has insane charisma and is very much a Ric Flair type person. He knew playing to one base would rile up the other side very successfully. He just got the math's wrong in 2020.

I don't see anyone who could be a mini Trump, maybe if pressed the barstool guy in 4-8 years, but even still big ask as he is unknown to so many.

The other problem for Hailey, RDS etc, you will have to handle Trump with kid gloves in a primary because its quite possible even if you beat him he could still be a pain and run a 3rd party campaign while calling you a "RINO".....Trump on the other hand won't think twice about burying anyone in a primary .

Not worth the hassle if you are under 50 is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If Trump runs (and the only reason he won't is if he is incapable due to health or legal issues) then I don't see any credible challengers in a primary. He's basically unbeatable. He has the base sewn up. There simply isn't a Mitt Romney demographic in the Republican party any longer that would capture the votes necessary to beat him in a primary. All the younger candidates will just sit it out. If he were to win then he could only serve a single term anyway (barring him going full facist)

I think he would struggle to last the four years so he could always use the VP spot as a tempter for anybody youngish who may want to challenge him initially.

He won't run unopposed, but realistically I'd only put money on Cotton, Pence, Pompeo, Cruz and maybe the governors Noem and Hogan contesting and Trump would massacre all those nerds. Heck Noem would be running with half an eye on been VP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The only thing that I saw Trump do differently was to ditch the pretence at being a serious politician. You see some of the stuff coming out of the GOP and wonder how they can't find a suitable replacement from within their own ranks. Obviously, I'm missing something but I wonder if that might be because Trump will sacrifice the GOP itself rather than be replaced.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

"The biggest change I’ve seen in Congress is Israel literally owned Congress — you understand that," Trump said on the conservative talk radio show. "Ten years ago, 15 years ago, and it was so powerful. It was so powerful and today it’s almost the opposite."

MAGA, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Wash Post: Manhattan DA convenes new grand jury in Trump Org. case to weigh potential charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Since every accusation is an admission, could it be that he has been drinking the blood of children to live longer? Do we know where hw gets his pizzas?

And on that back of this it seems Youngkins underage son tries to illegally vote for him not once but twice, what was it Republicans were saying about voter fraud?

Why is it that every time actual evidence of actual Voting irregularities (or even attempted efforts) show up it's Republicans that did it?

Here's another one

GOP Candidate complains about how "Mail in voting is broken" because his daughter didn't get her voting card - Turns out she was trying to vote in the wrong district.

Pennsylvania GOP gubernatorial candidate Bill McSwain tweeted that the state's voting system is broken after his daughter's mail-in ballot arrived after Election Day. A state election official responded that his daughter attempted to register as a voter in the wrong county.

The delay was because they had to send it back to the right district and the fact that the USPS is such a shambles.

So just seen this on Twitter and it seems Trump may have broken the Logan act, Who does he think he is with these stunts and what does he think it achieves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It keeps him in the news cycle. That is the start and end of it. There is noting strategic (well not internationally anyway) about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It purely keeps people talking about him, and that's ideal for him. Really, news outlets should stop reporting on his nonsense but unfortunately its like a slow motion car crash. Impossible to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

Seems his case has been allocated to a Trump-appointed judge, though - between the stacked Supreme Court and the shenanigans in the Rittenhouse and Arbery trials, the US justice system doesn't inspire much confidence that justice will be served..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“A 2019 American airstrike in Syria that killed at least 70 people, including women and children, may have been a war crime. The U.S. military covered it up.”

Who knows what else they covered up?

CNN is reporting that Bannon is going to surrender himself on Monday [presumably to a federal justice officer] without saying who the source for it's information. Mark Meadows might be in further trouble, this time in reference to a device he used for communications while White House COS for Trump. It's being speculated that the device may not have been an official device provided to him for use in his duties as Trumps COS.

It seems that, after his surrender to the Feds, Bannon plans to ask the courts for permission to request to be allowed travel abroad while awaiting trial. Clever move (whomever planned the move to a battleground not chosen by the Govt) to make an issue of his freedom to travel before the courts and upstage any plan the DOJ for his trial, distracting attention from Trumps [past and present] activities. Any other likely defendants for trial on ignoring congress subpoenas would gain if Bannon won a travel freedom case. It'd be impossible to keep any defendant in custody pending trial.

Trump really turning on Mitch McConnell now (he's even given him a silly name), he's starting to sound worried IMO

....This tweet ends with the fine eminent words "Any Republican in the House or Senate who votes for this Bill will never ever get a Trump Endorsement"

😯 😕 😑

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah Trump. Gripes at the infrastructure bill not helping where it's needed most ... which he had ample opportunity to do when he was president. Instead chose to let the aging system continue to rot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jacob Chansley, the so-called "QAnon Shaman," was sentenced to 41 months in prison for his role in the US Capitol riot.

That's now seen as a baseline for future judgements.

Post deleted as Nody posted on sentence earlier.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of a good fact-checker site? One F/B site has posted that Rupert Murdoch told a room of News Corp stockholders this week that Don Trump's constant complaining about the 2020 election is getting in the way of conservatives moving their agenda forward, adding that it’s time for him to put on his big boy pants and move on from the the past.

Politifact, Snopes & factcheck.org are the ones I've heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Every single news outlet is reporting it too.

He, apparently, said that Trump is "too focused on the past", which is a pretty milquetoast reproach.

Still, when the owner of Trump's propaganda organ for the last 6 years kinda says shut the fuck up, it's at least a little bit serious.

It might be worth seeing if Fox News report on Rupert's words (advising Don to look to the future) to his stockholders, assuming he meant it in relation to how the U.S economy and the world economy is doing under Joe Biden's administration.

It's difficult to know exactly what he meant by it as it's a very vague statement.

However, I would imagine that after 60 odd court cases and audits turning up no actual evidence of wrong doing in the last election, a lot of people "on the right" are wanting Trump to quit his bollocks as it's making them all look bad. There's only so much failing propaganda that can be tolerated before it starts to hurt its own side and I would think that that's what Murdoch meant to get across.

The "stolen election" avenue has been exhausted and it is, and always was, a dead end.

So today (for a short period of time) Kamala Harris will become the first woman president of the USA, Biden will be under anaesthetic while undergoing a routine colonoscopy.

Anyone want to guess the contents of TFG's rage tweet (from the desk of 45 post) later on when he hears this amazing news?

This along with the passing of the BBB bill will surely trigger him into a rage 😁

• Advertisement

"oppose Communism"

For fuck sake.

🙄

With Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty on all charges and walking away a free person from the court, I expect Trump to go public on how he supported Rittenhouse and secured his not guilty verdict. As to whether Trump will try to escalate any street events into full blown riots, that remains to be seen. Hopefully some-one will put him in a room without any media devices and lock the door from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I'm sure they'll be plenty of riots with or without Trump.

This is dated information from anonymous sources. Don Trump's pal Mike Lindell hosted a "cyber symposium" in August at which data gained from breaches of the election networks of Colorado and Ohio was revealed. Allegedly the reason behind the breaches was to find fraud. The attempted breach in Ohio occurred on May 4 inside the county office of John Hamercheck, R, chairman of the Lake County Board of Commissioners, according to two individuals with knowledge of the incident, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigations by the FBI and state agencies. State and county officials said no sensitive data were obtained, but they determined that a private laptop was plugged into the county network in Hamercheck’s office, and that the routine network traffic captured by the computer was circulated at the same Lindell conference as the data from the Colorado breach. Asked in a telephone interview whether he knew of the attempted breach or participated in it, Hamercheck said he was advised not to discuss the investigation. The report covered in several media sources was updated 16 hours ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement