Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see that 12 GOP voted against giving the capitol police medals for their efforts during the January 6th mess because the word “insurrection” was used in the resolution of it. What the hell do they want the event to be described as exactly ? A misunderstanding ? It’s not even subtle at this stage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see that 12 GOP voted against giving the capitol police medals for their efforts during the January 6th mess because the word “insurrection” was used in the resolution of it. What the hell do they want the event to be described as exactly ? A misunderstanding ? It’s not even subtle at this stage.

A lot of the same characters voted against the recent resolution condemning the ongoing activities in Myanmar as well , for similar reasons.

They thought it was a Democrat plot for a "gotcha" for them.

They were terrified of going on record condemning a legitimate vote being overturned because it make them look like hypocrites or something.

Haven't looked up the list yet, but I wager a few of them have also been complaining about the heightened security (metal detectors) and covid safety measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

In a sign that court cases cause change in defendants positions, Sidney Powell is claiming that her statements [on the Dominion Co being involved in electoral fraud during the Presidential election] were opinion and not fact. She told the judge hearing the defamation case brought against her by Dominion that the case should be dismissed as, quote: no reasonable person would believe her well publicized comments about an international plot against former President Trump were statements of fact; unquote. It sounds something like the line being run out by people linked to Trump that no one should believe that Trump's words during the post-election period were the actual reason the insurrectionists invaded the capitol building in Washington on 06 Jan, that Trump's words have no actual connection with the mindset of the insurrectionists on the 06th Jan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

aloyisious wrote: »
    In a sign that court cases cause change in defendants positions, Sidney Powell is claiming that her statements [on the Dominion Co being involved in electoral fraud during the Presidential election] were opinion and not fact. She told the judge hearing the defamation case brought against her by Dominion that the case should be dismissed as, quote: no reasonable person would believe her well publicized comments about an international plot against former President Trump were statements of fact; unquote. It sounds something like the line being run out by people linked to Trump that no one should believe that Trump's words during the post-election period were the actual reason the insurrectionists invaded the capitol building in Washington on 06 Jan, that Trump's words have no actual connection with the mindset of the insurrectionists on the 06th Jan.
    It's been used before successfully as well to defend Fox TV host Tucker.
    U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil's opinion, leaning heavily on the arguments of Fox's lawyers: The "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' "

She wrote: "Fox persuasively argues, that given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statement he makes."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nody wrote: »
    It's been used before successfully as well to defend Fox TV host Tucker.

Yes but Carlsom is an "entertainer" on a TV network, Powell is a lawyer making these accusations at a press conference. I see where she is going with her defense and trying to use such previous rulings as a get out clause but it will be interesting to see if she can persuade a judge that she didn't mean what she really said especially since she has only made this claim after the law suit came flying in.

Also, when Dominion sent a cease and desist letter not only did she refuse to comply but doubled down and tweeted out that she would "retract nothing" because she had "#evidence" that Dominion was committing fraud.

Mindful of the fact that Powell was a member of Trump's legal team at one stage, she may never be able to break her link to his campaign and his claims that the election [result] was rigged and he [in his mind] actually won it. Probably to her detriment, Trump repeated his claim that he won the election and how the result was rigged yesterday. I reckon that Sidney has the sense to avoid being obliged to answer questions from Dominions lawyers about anything she said in defense of Trump which read/sounded as statements of fact [not opinion] similar to her attack on the character of Dominion as a trading enterprise.

I’m not saying this is in the same league as Sidney Powell but Dr Debra Birx is doing a redemption tour to cleanse herself of being part of the trump administrations coronavirus response(and I use that word lightly) and that infamous moment regarding injecting bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭amandstu

Might be a good name for an up and coming pop group "Donald and the Enablers"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

She also said later in the same submission that she believes the claims that the election was impacted by fraud.

So, 'no reasonable person would believe that........ I believe that'.

One more nail in the 'We're going to hire the best people' coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

amandstu wrote: »

Was “The Grifters” already taken?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

frag420 wrote: »
    Was “The Grifters” already taken?

No more of this please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There was a wedding at Mar-A-Lago on saturday, Donnie was asked to say a few words to the 400 guests and wish the married couple well.
    It goes pretty much as you expect it to.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/28/donald-trump-wedding-speech-mar-a-lago-biden-administration/

Shockingly it seems that a couple of the former members of the trump administration are doing their best to save their reputations by saying they were pressured to massage the Covid-19 pandemic numbers and messaging. It’s amazing they’ve found spines now but couldn’t do that while in the administration.

New York State Appeals Court has ruled a few hours ago that Summer Zervos can proceed with a case filed in 2017 to sue Trump for defamation after called her a liar in reference to her allegation that he had groped and kissed her against her will. Summer was a contestant on the "The Apprentice Show" run by Trump. Two other courts had already ruled against him on the matter, including the ground that as President he could not be sued. Summer Zervos took the dismissal of appeal case against Trump after he left office. He may have to supply responding depositions in the case, compelling him to testify about what occurred between them in 2007 & 2008 sections of the show, as well as his first campaign. U.S major media outlets [NYT, WaPo and ABC] have published reports on the news. There's another case before the NY appeals court referring to a rape allegation made against him by E.Jean Carroll. That case is about whether DOJ lawyers can take over defense duties from Trumps private lawyers team {back when the rape allegations were denied by Trump and E.J Carroll then sued him for defamation]. The DOJ has not dropped its application since Biden took up office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Matt Gaetz also in a spot of bother.

Interesting given the chatter earlier today about him resigning his seat (no loss there) and joining newsmax

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Interesting given the chatter earlier today about him resigning his seat (no loss there) and joining newsmax

Makes sense I suppose.

He always gave me the creeps.
    Him and Jim Jordan.
    Wonder what trump and the gop will say?

Makes sense I suppose.

He always gave me the creeps.
    Him and Jim Jordan.
    Wonder what trump and the gop will say?

Used to playing to the more challenged types that something like newsmax appeals to, so potentially an earner for him.
    As for the current allegation, depending on the result of the investigation and if he's of any use to trump, if he is most likely be very fine people type defense, otherwise he's under the nearest bus when the times right. So nothing new there.
    GOP the same really.

Seems he is but he then threw a hospital pass to end all hospital passes to tucker Carlson on his show last night. I’m no fan of tucker Carlson but even that was very unfair and also Matt Gaetz exposed a sting operation by the FBI that involved his father apparently. It was nuts to watch it this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

#PizzaGaetz

Wonder if he has a basement? How will the Q crowd cope with this one?
    He also threw Tucker Carlson into the mix as a potential during that interview.
    TC quickly made clear he had no recollection :pac:

banie01 wrote: »
    #PizzaGaetz

Not only tucker but tuckers wife who is now implicated in a serious investigation. Lucky tucker has that bemused look down because it came in handy last night.

And the former Florida tax official who was elected in 2016 and congressman Gaetz know each other and that Florida official is now the clubhouse leader in “the best people” tournament when you read how he acted in office.

Seems he is but he then threw a hospital pass to end all hospital passes to tucker Carlson on his show last night. I’m no fan of tucker Carlson but even that was very unfair and also Matt Gaetz exposed a sting operation by the FBI that involved his father apparently. It was nuts to watch it this morning.

I’ve a funny feeling it will be his last time on the show.

Definitely more to come from this story.
    He was one of trumps biggest defenders, maybe he was looking for a pardon?

banie01 wrote: »
    #PizzaGaetz

You already know the excuses.

It’s all part of the deep state trying to destroy trump, conservatives and his supporters.
    Or deflection to Hunter Biden who isn’t even in Congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭amandstu

You already know the excuses.

It’s all part of the deep state trying to destroy trump, conservatives and his supporters.
    Or deflection to Hunter Biden who isn’t even in Congress.
    Is it relevant (or correct) to note that Gaetz seems like a particularly unpleasant waste of space?

His demeanour always came across to me as insincere and creepy.

Or am I just indulging in character assassination after the "fact"? (kicking him when he is down)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is it relevant (or correct) to note that Gaetz seems like a particularly unpleasant waste of space?

Or am I just indulging in character assassination after the "fact"? (kicking him when he is down)

I'd agree , certainly on the insincere part.

I read this article today which I think puts several GOP people in an appropriate context.

Gaetz and others have absolutely zero interest in the job of Congress , creating legislation etc.

It is merely a vehicle to build a profile and a step on their career pathway.

For people like Gaetz , filling a guaranteed GOP House seat that they don't have to work to win is just a phase before they move on to more money - Getting a Fox News Gig or whatever.

None of these guys are still going to be in congress in 5/10 years time , None of them will ever run for the Senate.

He's not a politician , he's a media personality using Congress as a way to build his "brand".

Hasn’t he a few DUI’s?
    There is something off about him alright.
    I called it years ago.

Given that a friend who watched the HBO special which included Gatez, said that it showed that he is pretty much useless as a politician, I'd say your spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I always knew Gaetz was as dirty as a street dog. He is finished as a politician. Fox News awaits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I always knew Gaetz was as dirty as a street dog. He is finished as a politician. Fox News awaits.
    He'll fit right in, after all you do normally pay for a 17 year old "girl friend" to come with you after all when you're 30+, perfectly normal behavior.

Advertisement