Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Fully vaccinated, tripled to be precise due to family member serious health issue. Was offered a soon to be expired vial so took it.

I hate lockdowns, hate masks, but I fear we will enter another lockdown in about 1 to 2 months time when cases inevitably rise due to hospitality reopening. It might not be a full lockdown but I can see the hospitality sector closing again.

Not everyone inside clubs and so on will be vaccinated i know of a few using other peoples certs to gain access and places not bothering at all to check. I don't think the unvaccinated should be persecuted my previous posts show this. But sadly I see restrictions coming back. The Government and its advisors can't be trusted this has been true in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is absolutely terrifying the road that we are being led down. By normalising this nonsense, we are further ensuring that these certs will be less likely to go away - regardless of vaccination status or percentage.

They are an incredibly dangerous idea and they are being encouraged for use in other, critical, areas of everyday life by the national media and official Ireland.

Everyone needs to calm down a bit and take a breath before we create a very dysfunctional society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I really don't get the idea that a lockdown is coming again, it's an impossible sell to the public now given the vaccination rates. There will be simply zero compliance with it and I don't think even the government are stupid enough to not understand that. Numbers are going to rise as we open up, that's a fact and there's no need to **** the bed over it - it has to be accepted and we have to get on with things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

I hope you're right, but what can the ordinary person do if the Government do another lockdown. Protests haven't worked and have been hijacked in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You can't help but feel that Hulahoop is literally running our lives at this stage.

Staggering to see such an approach taken towards businesses which have been shut for a long time to then tell customers to not go back to places were the pass isn't requested.

In that case, anyone that lands in Dublin Airport should stop at customs and say "yeah I'm not coming back here" and head back to the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

IF it was required, it's easy to imagine compliance imo. People wont like it obviously, but it isn't long since we had Garda checkpoints to quiz you on why you were x km from your house, we have statutory instruments for penalties if you're breaking restrictions, etc. Not many people really cared about any of this (although they should have).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

CMO on Claire Byrne show now

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

So the official narrative is catching up with what was obvious from data a year ago.

CMO: "vaccination isn't enough"

Of course they'll continue to push covid certs, while saying "vaccination isn't enough".

I'm intrigued about this "change of behaviour narrative " can we assume there'll be quite a change in behaviour over weekend😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

"It is because there is little or no significant public health threat now (relatively speaking), with 5 million unvaccinated people there were 5000 deaths over 18 months, now we have 300,000 unvaccinated, which would mean there might be about 160 deaths over the next 18 months (will be way less if the unvaccinated are not in high risk groups).......flu is usually somewhere between 500 and 1000 per winter. So there is no need for any lockdown or new measures. There is no information as to whether or not those in hospital or ICU are there because of covid, or they just have covid and cancer or were run over and have covid, or whether or not they got COVID in hospital. The government have said it is safe to cram a full plane, let people pack nightclubs and churches or weddings, so they do not really believe there is a significant threat any more, its just political posturing at this stage."

I read this earlier, is this true? the figures? look, if the flu takes out a thousand during the winter. Would it be better to have designated shopping times for the elderly etc? would somewhat reduce the figures of covid and flu perhaps?

• Advertisement

Wasn't there some issue re the use of ID , I just vaguely recall there was some issue about this, GDPR etc, perhaps I'm wrong 🤔

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have to admit, while another lockdown SHOULD be a hard sell, it may not be as hard as it should be to convince people, if that makes sense.

There is a large cohort of Irish society (and god knows I encountered enough of them in the last year, including in my own family) who just lay down at evey new restriction and said "but we're in a pandemic".It frustrated me beyond belief to be honest, that people who are intelligent, thinking beings in daily life just blindly accepted and never, ever questioned anything.And I don't mean they should have been questioning vaccinations or anything, it was more that any discussion on other ways things could be done, why the health service was in the state it was in, the fact that this was a long term issue and we needed long term solutions, and the rest was just met by "but it's a pandemic". It was like some sort of weird brainwashing.

I have my suspicions that if another lockdown were to be suggested,this same cohort would go along with it (thereby forcing the rest of the country to) just because the powers that be say so.Because "it's a pandemic".

I'll wager she won't ask one question which would challenge him.

It's the awful PBH in today poor Claire off on hols 🙄🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Convinced the sudden change of behaviour narrative is a massive arse covering exercise for Philip Nolan after his proclamation that the virus was nearly suppressed 2 weeks ago. 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's really not new at all. They've been saying it for over a years and the positive version is "the public were ahead of us".

There won't be any compliance - a garda stopping me 5km from my house (being fully vaccinated) will be told to get the **** out of my way. I have no reason to respect such limitations any longer. The most they can do is close some places if needed but the 5km and the likes of that are simply unenforceable (unless you need a vaccine cert to pass them in which case there will only be one section of society really under lockdown again).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

RTE an hour ago: we don't vilify unvaccinated

RTE now: should you invite unvaccinated family members to Christmas dinner?

• Advertisement

His head will spin when they see some social media videos over the weekend 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭brickster69

Must be another conspiracy theory come true added to the list.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

O I know but there about to have collective heart attacks when they see a change in behaviour in night clubs over the weekend 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Not just on boards in fairness. The last few weeks have really shown Irelands true face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Why is it staggering to see inspections, when everyone knows certs aren't being checked in lots of places ? I mean rightly or wrongly, we're a rules based society.

If checking certs is the only thing required and hospitality is back to normal apart from that, its not that big a deal is it ? Personally I doubt anywhere that isn't checking, is doing it out of principle, its purely laziness or couldn't be ar$ed.

I totally get that with 90%+ of adults vaccinated, its either not that big a deal, or a pointless exercise, depending on how you look at it, but its a relatively small price to pay to reopen fully, isn't it ?

Honestly, we might see a half hearted effort on inspection this weekend, camera's invited along for the occasion but seriously, does anyone believe there'll be any determined effort to inspect beyond the weekend, I certainly don't.

• Advertisement

Those vaccinated can all start driving around with a star on their car. Like what happened in the 1940's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Just heard Holahan being interviewed on the radio - he said that NPHET were never against antigen tests! The gaslighting is outrageous, he reminds me a lot of a narcissist ex. Makes me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not true.

2017/2018 was a particularly harsh 'flu season, which saw 255 deaths amongst confirmed 'flu cases.

Caveat here is that testing for influenza has never been anywhere close to the same level as we are now testing for Covid. Meaning that many 'flu deaths will likely fly under the radar because they're elderly people who just die without ever going to the doctor. But there is no way that a typical 'flu season sees 1,000 'flu deaths where 75% go unrecorded.

You can see a report for 2017/2018 here. One other thing that becomes apparent when you look at the report is that there is nothing new about any of the numbers or methods that are being used to track covid. It's all being tracked in the same way that diseases have been tracked for years, so it can't be argued that it's being made up as it goes along. The likes of Nolan have been doing this analysis for years, they are experts in this field. While their projections may prove wrong (nobody has a crystal ball), it's beyond arrogant to question their interpretation of the data unless one has expertise in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

'That poster' was correct. The poster you are quoting is incorrect. You should try paying attention.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

The amount of jobsworth authoritarians out there is eye opening.

• Advertisement

But it isn't the only requirement is it? Not only do you need the pass but you also need the mask to walk in, a mask to go to the toilet. You can't be at the bar. If you couldn't be vaccinated then it seems you can't go inside.

People are fed up, being told one thing and then 2 days before reopening being told another. We can't keep going on and on with we need this and then we need that. Oh wait we can't do that so let's do this. They've made a balls of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Quags

it's beyond arrogant to question their interpretation of the data unless one has expertise in the area.

What?!? It is 100% the norm in sciences that people without expertise (e.g. brand new masters or PhD students) are expected to question interpretations of data.

If data or papers or interpretations are correct, they will hold up to scrutiny.

The likes of Nolan have been doing this analysis for years, they are experts in this field.

This is meaningless and is not a consideration within fields. People are constantly questioning supposed experts, via peer review, conferences, critiques, reproducibility exercises, as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yeah. Then went on to talk about hand washing etc. being important.

The general vibe seemed to be a move towards personal responsibility, i.e. you should consider your own underlying illnesses before going out even if you're vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Discrimination towards anyone because of their health status, skin colour, sexual orientation etc.. is plain wrong and fascist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People with relevant masters and/or PhDs, by definition have expertise in the area. I'm talking about the armchair MS Excel experts and the Eddie Hobbses of this world who think that any kind of experience analysing numbers entitles them to disagree with epidemiologists about epidemiology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

I agree they've made a mess of it. The communication has been appalling. I think if the cert is required, that should be it, no restrictions when you're inside.

He did but to be fair in the context, its one tool in the armoury of measures to fight transmission etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Dec 24th: Daily cases 918

Jan 8th: Daily cases 8221

Yeah, cases really fell after Christmas eve. If you're real then the world you live in is totally imaginary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steveimitation

For how long though. What's the endgame? If vaccination isn't enough, how long are we expected to find our lives restricted? Until February? Indefinitely? Permanently? What happens next Winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Nah, don't question them. You must always be obedient and we must always be good little boys and girls.

In fairness to that poster, when NPHET and Government have been wrong, he's always had their backs. Always supports them 100% no matter how wrong they have been at times. It's admirable if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Expertise does not leave you or your work beyond reproach.

In this case, it's plain to see that Nolan's predictions were consistently wrong. And just 2 weeks ago he stated we were successfully suppressing the virus. To consistently model the spread so poorly implies some poor interpretations of the data.

We can look back at all his multiple predictions and often find they were way off, taking naive assumptions that the virus incidence would continue to grow exponentially ad infinitum when in reality it levelled off well below any of his models.

I've supervised many students and I'm serious when I say that a person with no schooling who is naturally critical and curious, is likely better able to scrutinise some types of work (e.g. population data in Excel) than a person with an undergrad module starting their PhD who is uncritical. There have been major failings in fields I'm familiar with due to a lack of scrutiny from those one would assume are experts.

It's dangerous to defer to expertise when it should instead be the case that expertise holds up to any inspection.

If, and I'll emphasis If, they said ok all that stays is the pass but no masks etc then I think people may be more willing to put it with it a bit longer.

But it still doesn't answer the question about those that can't be vaccinated, do they get an exempt pass?

And the ones that don't to, do we ostracize them from society until they do?

Hulahoop is on the war path and right or wrong, blaming it all on the Brits or the unvaccinated is absolutely pathetic - maybe place the blame on our overly expensive and quite frankly useless health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBF it is quite hard to model the completely yo yo nature of cases and hospitalisations. They may get cases right as we are on the cusp of their predictions but hospitalisations look like complete guesses. It's not a problem in its own right but it is at the core of their advice to government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Do you know what ranting is? Although your posting style is certainly more of a tirade.

Have you watched Shutter Island? Had to laugh yesterday when someone intimated you were like the Leonardo Di Caprio character, deludedly investigating and making sense of your own asylum.

Yes, because comparing getting a vaccine and the Nazi persecution of jews is completely original and logical 🙄

• Advertisement

Those living in fear of covid, can have their lockdown, let them at it. I dont see any one asking them to leave their homes if they dont have to work in a physical place of work...

Advertisement