Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

NPHET will be very much in our lives going forward

You are really going to enjoy January 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

A few academics making up an index will never be data.

It's rubbish.

Like the "worlds coolest neighbourhoods" index that was doing the rounds recently.

Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Was speaking to a colleague today who made a very valid point.

Why, 18 months into this, are we the public still being morally and socially manipulated by the government into believing we are responsible for alleviating hospital capacity issues and the historical HSE mismanagement issues?

Before the pandemic we were all obviously concerned about over crowding, patients on trolleys, and long waiting lists. But we never felt personally or societally responsible for managing this issue, and rightly so.

We pay tax and the HSE and government are responsible for ensuring there are enough resources to go around. That’s how it works and how it should be.

Now in an emergency and unprecedented situation like March 2020 or similar, restricting freedoms was acceptable as a short term measure.

But why, almost two years on, are we STILL being guilted into believing we have some sort of moral obligation to continuously make personal sacrifices to manage this issue?

We are not to blame for this. It might sound cold and blunt, but how has the onus for this been placed entirely on Joe Publics shoulders? Where’s the accountability from the government? Particularly when you consider that they had the guts of two years to prepare and plan for this.

If one of my loved ones required an ICU bed tomorrow and couldn’t access one, I wouldn’t be blaming the unvaccinated, or people going on holidays, or people going to nightclubs or what have you.

I would be blaming the government and HSE for their complete ineptitude at running a functional health system - just as I would have if this happened before the pandemic, when the exact same problems also existed. Yet we never blamed ourselves then.

I accept things are worse now, but even when the pandemic is completely behind us we are still going to be in a dire situation with waiting lists and elective surgeries from all the backlogs from the lockdowns.

We need to start ramping up resources for that now too, but once again we’re asleep at the wheel. This country infuriates me.

I haven’t left the country because family and work tend to prevent multiple trips away, but that does not mean the experience of a couple of individuals in one or two weekends away in a limited section of a society is representative of the entirety of public health measures in that country. An independent measure looking at the range of actions may tend to give a greater picture.

And you can look at the data yourself if you like

I just slid the slider until it landed on January, but no matter what dates in January, or any part of the first few months of the year, does Ireland approach anywhere near the “middle”

“I don’t like it therefore I will ignore it in favour of the rantboy2000 index”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Edit

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Which Scandinavian countries are you talking about, those that used restrictions same as we did, or the one that has multiple deaths of the other three combined that you were so adamant we should have been copying by chasing natural herd immunity ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Frankly, I have been asking this question since August 2020 but nobody listens or cares. And certainly nobody seems prepared to ask it of the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

"France is one of the most locked down Countries in Europe right now, theyre no better than us"

Laurent Garnier, Paris 3 days ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVK1qtRj2ys/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ireland has half the ICU capacity per capita of the EU average, despite us being one of the richest EU states. Ireland has ONE QUARTER of Germany's ICU capacity per capita. We've known since March 2020 that the biggest issue facing the country is hospital capacity. The whole reason for lockdowns was to prevent the hospitals becoming overcapacity - flatten the curve etc.

So you might assume given the above we'd be throwing euros at the problem, right? Given how many billions lockdowns cost, and how damaging they are to society?

Wrong. In the budget two weeks ago: "The minister said €10.5m has been provided for 19 additional critical care beds in 2022, bringing the total ICU beds next year to 340". Thats not a typo unfortunately. We're planning on adding 1.5 beds a month...

This government is doing everything it can to blame the 5%~ of adults not vaccinated for the crisis right now fast approaching us. But even if we had 99% vaccinated we'd still be facing the same crisis, just two or three weeks later - enough fully vaccinated people are still landing in the hospitals.

Its pretty clear the government initially banked on lockdowns beating covid. And then banked on vaccinations beating covid. So never properly invested in the hospitals when they had the chance. Which has resulted in us now facing another disastrous winter.

It just boggles my mind why no journalists are holding them to account over this. Its one of the biggest failings of an Irish government ever, and nobody in the press has dared to mention it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I actually thought they were supposed to have been disbanded by now, or was that just another government lie?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

A government ad there on local limerick radio

"If you enter a bar or restaurant that doesn't check for covid certs then take your business elsewhere"

Happy enough with that choice of words rather than telling people to kick up a fuss or report them. It's all down to individual choice and responsibility now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Every single one of these hospitality businesses who claimed taxpayer funded supports; should turn around and tell the government where to stick the covid cert.

Instead all you seem to see is the heads of these businesses on tv/radio almost gleefully proclaiming to be 100% in favour of the measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He is French is he not, so who was he referring to as "us" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

As are we. There's a further easing of restrictions being announced shortly.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I 'leave' the country every day. It's about the same in the north. Our nightclubs will be open before theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

And as soon as we Locked down Hospitality on Christmas Eve Numbers fell so yes I am for real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I'll only be spending my hard earned at places that don't ask for the cert one of which is my local. Places that discriminate are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

And is it because their is no option of punishment ? I mean are they just suggestions rather than laws or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭prunudo

Something I'm a little concerned about from a business owners perspective, is these "Failte Ireland Guidelines" to be published later.

VFI"s Donal o keefe asked on morning Ireland, do these guidelines have a statutory footing (legisative), a little stumped he said they'd always adhered to Public Health guidelines, however that wasn't the question and certainly not the answer required.

Failte Ireland Guidelines are just that, guidelines that have Zero legal standing. It would appear what does have more statutory clout, as it were is Public Health advice and my concern (albeit happy with what is being proposed) is governments abject incompetence and rush to react to the absurdities will now lead to night time economy opening full steam ahead, whilst Public Health advice is not necessarily going to tally with the apparent Failte Ireland Guidelines being announced later.

Any move forward, I believed required legisative cover but obviously not enough time for this because of appalling incompetence of government, perhaps more concerned at there next Dail break next week.

In simple terms, say I own a nightclub, decide to check with my insurers re public liability cover etc, I'm not entirely confident the business owner will get the answer they are looking for given the conflict between NPHETs advice and now Failte Ireland Guidelines that have no statutory clout.

Just a humble opinion I might add, let's not forget the difficulties (still on going) with business interruption insurance payouts or lack of same)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Actually hospitality closed at 3pm on Christmas Eve but the numbers didn’t begin to fall until closer to 12am on Christmas Eve, which was round about the same time as Santa arrived. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

In light of recent doom and gloom news regarding NPHET’s ‘concern’ and rising case numbers there will be some in here absolutely elated, their lockdown utopia may be on the horizon and they would do anything to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

I'm surprised too about this given we recently had a major scandal arising from confusion between Failte Ireland interpretations, and the Attorney General's interpretation (i.e. Merriongate).

I think the ambiguity in this case is a feature, rather than a bug. It lets everybody pretend that they thought they were correct. But you're right, this should be clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yep. Some people not happy society is moving on without them.

It really does need clarification, I personally know two people still fighting insurance companies (one in hospitality)

There's this perception Failte Ireland has statutory authority, it does not, its remit primarily encompasses, Tourism promotion, Training and overseeing standards for businesses registered with it, mainly hotels, B&B"s, indeed few if any pubs nightclubs or restaurants would have been Failte Ireland registered before the pandemic, the only reason they might be now, is only to do with the fact it was a requirement if any business wanted to apply for Government pandemic grant supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Absolutely. A lot of people will be getting moist at the mere thought of another lockdown

• Advertisement

Michael Mc Namara (who I can't abide) on Morning Ireland expressing serious concerns about the legal standing , basis for new guidelines , apparently he raised this in the Dail yesterday, this coming from a TD who was very, very anti NPHET and lockdowns .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Aine Lawlor fell out of her chair to say she's never heard anyone on RTE vilifying unvaccinated people, 15 seconds after asking "what should we do about unvaccinated people taking up space from cancer patients"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭prunudo

I used to think the same, but tbh, I think there are very few people who genuinely want lockdown.

What we have, and its particularly prevalent on here, is cheerleaders for everything the government say. No matter the line is they tow it, they fall over themselves trying to back it until it changes and then claim that this was always the plan and now will defend the new line. They will jump on and ridicule any poster that is suspicious of government policy. Its all almost as predictable as the politicians false promises.

It was gold 🤣🤣 how dare any guest disparage RTE , did you notice how abruptly the interview ended, Michael got very Tetchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well she did have cancer herself so not an unsurprising question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

You frequently make comments like that. Please identify even a few of these "some in here" for whom lockdown is utopia. Thanks in advance. If you can't, please stop posting this nonsense.

Yes fair point, I personally don't believe or am aware RTE staff have ever vilified the unvaccinated, but fair to say they've certainly entertained a lot of guests who have, Claire Byrne a perfect example.

Likewise, you might kindly identify some of these people. For my part, everyone I have ever met hates lockdowns and craves a return to normality (but when possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I know someone who has worked with Claire Byrne and describes her as an excellent professional but has avoided any of her broadcasts of any shape or size since this began. I always thought she had talent but find this relentless unhealthy obsession with COVID anything but professional. I might even call it deranged myself.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he probably has a point. Michael is a solicitor and whilst not my cup of tea generally he is a fairly bright guy. I agree that insurers could jump on the distinction you point out between extant public health advice and the new Bord Failte Guidelines. They are tying themselves up in knots trying to open nightclubs. I think the solution was let nightclubs open fully, no restrictions once in, but only if booked in advance and a negative antigen test provided on the night - though I appreciate the logistics of that could be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I quite like the fact that the sort of people "who would take their business elsewhere" will not be in my local. Well rid.

Excellent points and in a normal scenario if I were a business owner I wouldn't be concerned, unfortunately recent history has proven its better to be concerned and not have this come back bite people in the ass, businesses need cast iron assurances, not guidelines 😏, government totally at fault here but of course history also shows us, they won't be quick to take any responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

anecdotes = experience

Experience can tell us things we can't ascertain from looking at statistical charts.

When I got back to Ireland recently I rang my sister and she was ranting about vaccines on the phone which I thought was strange.

Now I understand having been back a while, the mental atmosphere in Ireland is 24/7 covid-world vaccine-land. Very bad for the mind.

Can't wait to get away again. I've taken 3 holiday breaks this year, booked one more and thinking of planning a fifth.

RTE, Irish Times, Newstalk, public discourse has become a rabbit hole of fear, resentment, anger, despair, - better to ignore politics altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'd argue that Michael McNamara is not anti Lockdown or NPHET but he is asking the questions no other TD or media are asking.

Its a shame the Irish system means he'll never have a realistic chance to be a minister or Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

It's October 2021 and you're still paying attention to that poster?

• Advertisement

Perhaps anti the wrong word, but certainly he was absolutely no fan of NPHET or restrictions of any sort, I mentioned this for context in the sense he's raising concerns about the validity of these guidelines being released later today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Btw to the poster a few pages upthread saying the unvaccinated should lose access to employment, hospital care, and government financial assistance - that is basically Tier D (the lowest tier) of the Chinese social credit system.

Surprisingly relatively large number of supporters of fascism and Communism knocking about on boards though they usually aren't honest enough to admit that's what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The big issue is, as you say, the perception that Failte guidelines are rules. They are not. What Failte is producing are a condensed interpretation of the rules to save businesses from having to read the legislation and try to understand it themselves.

Unfortunately, it is common for interpretations of the rules to make mistakes; there are a number of errors in the Rules of the Road that the RSA produces, for example.

Michael McNamara is using this as a point-scoring exercise, but he does have a point; The government are offloading the responsibility for producing these guidelines onto Failte. I appreciate the nature of current times has required many people and departments to step outside of their remit, but whatever is produced should be produced by the relevant authority in the area - The Department of Tourism. They should be producing a single document outlining all of the legislative changes as well as the current state-of-play for all hospitality businesses and what they are legally obliged to do.

Fáilte should then be produced a separate guide on safe reopening, which includes a mix of statutory measures, health advice and good practice. If it's all left to Fáilte, there's no distinction made between the 3 and everyone ends up thinking it's all statutory.

Then you end up with farces like the Merrion thing where weeks of time are wasted getting het up over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Nah, just a lot of them are horrible, selfish people. Bit like Mr. Joe "drink driving" O'Shea on RTE the other night.

The pandemic has shown a lot of people up for who they truly are. I remember posters on here, called other posters killers because they went for a pint last Christmas. One fella eating his Christmas dinner at the living room window so he could gossip about how many people went into other people's houses during the day

Grim

• Advertisement
Advertisement