Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

The rantings of the permanently incensed beats any data any day

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Study here from Oxford says 12 weeks after second dose of vaccine, your just as likely to contract and spread covid as someone who is unvaccinated. Interesting.

"Transmission reductions declined over time since second vaccination, for Delta reaching similar levels to unvaccinated individuals by 12 weeks for ChAdOx1 and attenuating substantially for BNT162b2. Protection from vaccination in contacts also declined in the 3 months after second vaccination."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.09.28.21264260v1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Honestly lads ask anyone that has travelled, don't take my word for it. Europe is moving on.

• Advertisement

The same poster posted that Index when we couldn't travel 5km from our houses last January and we were still in the middle, it's absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'll try copy it here, the full article 😉

New guidelines to be published by Fáilte Ireland on Thursday night will allow almost the full unrestricted reopening of the entire hospitality sector.

The guidelines will restore most of the pre-pandemic operations for nightclubs and live music venues, and will also lift the majority of remaining restrictions in pubs, restaurants and bars.

An hour-long meeting between Government officials and representatives of the hospitality industry on Wednesday afternoon was described as “very successful” with most of the outstanding issues and anomalies resolved.

Officials were in a position to reassure nightclubs and live music venues about key issues that were causing uncertainty and concern.

In addition, a number of anomalies that left pubs and restaurants facing greater restrictions than nightclubs after the changes occur on October 22nd, have been largely resolved, according to those who attended the meeting.

Industry representatives and officials will hold a further meeting on Thursday ahead of Fáilte Ireland issuing its guidelines for the sector later that evening. The guidelines will be subject to advice from senior public health officials.

“We are moving in the right direction. We would expect the guidelines to be issued tomorrow evening so that normalisation of hospitality would be restored but within public health guidelines,” said Adrian Cummins, chief executive of the Restaurants Association of Ireland.

It emerged at the meeting that restaurants and bars will be in a position to take multiple bookings for tables and there will also be a provision that means the guidelines for bar service and seating will be the same for all hospitality venues.

The issue of capacity in pubs and restaurants is one of the outstanding issues that has yet to be settled. If those establishments are allowed to return to full service, it will result in the end of the one metre social distancing rule between tables.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Do you enjoy lying Niallo, or just never actually to check if anything you say is actually true?

Skin and hair flying on the late debate 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The Taoiseach has told a meeting of his party that guidance for venues reopening on Friday will be practical and common sense will apply.

I dread to think what Leo Varadkar thinks is "practical" and "common sense"

They'd want to get on with it and announce what they're doing sooner than later, I know some clubs are planning to open at a minute past midnight on the 22nd

Yes, boards rantings are more accurate than the university of Oxford.

in fact up until about May it was a favourite source on here. Then when the line on the chart showed what everyone could see, which was lowering of restrictions, suddenly the boards rant boys turned against it.

Stop will ya, you picked 13 days out of the last 18 months. 13 days. So have you left the country or not. Honest question for anyone that has, what do you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I’ve not been to the Uk, but have been to Europe. I’ve seen aspects that are more strict than here and others that are less strict. The couple of cities I was in I would say in general there was less distancing and COVID was less of a “thing”, but the regulations as they were, like, say regarding mask wearing indoors and restrictions on numbers in pubs/clubs and tourist attractions were much more adhered to and enforced. Covid pass and locator forms were checked too, unlike on return flights to Dublin. On balance I’d say not terribly different to here broadly speaking.

From researching/half planning a winter holiday the likes of Austria is certainly more strict than here in plenty of aspects with their 3G rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

NPHET will be very much in our lives going forward

You are really going to enjoy January 2022

A few academics making up an index will never be data.

It's rubbish.

Like the "worlds coolest neighbourhoods" index that was doing the rounds recently.

Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Was speaking to a colleague today who made a very valid point.

Why, 18 months into this, are we the public still being morally and socially manipulated by the government into believing we are responsible for alleviating hospital capacity issues and the historical HSE mismanagement issues?

Before the pandemic we were all obviously concerned about over crowding, patients on trolleys, and long waiting lists. But we never felt personally or societally responsible for managing this issue, and rightly so.

We pay tax and the HSE and government are responsible for ensuring there are enough resources to go around. That’s how it works and how it should be.

Now in an emergency and unprecedented situation like March 2020 or similar, restricting freedoms was acceptable as a short term measure.

But why, almost two years on, are we STILL being guilted into believing we have some sort of moral obligation to continuously make personal sacrifices to manage this issue?

We are not to blame for this. It might sound cold and blunt, but how has the onus for this been placed entirely on Joe Publics shoulders? Where’s the accountability from the government? Particularly when you consider that they had the guts of two years to prepare and plan for this.

If one of my loved ones required an ICU bed tomorrow and couldn’t access one, I wouldn’t be blaming the unvaccinated, or people going on holidays, or people going to nightclubs or what have you.

I would be blaming the government and HSE for their complete ineptitude at running a functional health system - just as I would have if this happened before the pandemic, when the exact same problems also existed. Yet we never blamed ourselves then.

I accept things are worse now, but even when the pandemic is completely behind us we are still going to be in a dire situation with waiting lists and elective surgeries from all the backlogs from the lockdowns.

We need to start ramping up resources for that now too, but once again we’re asleep at the wheel. This country infuriates me.

I haven’t left the country because family and work tend to prevent multiple trips away, but that does not mean the experience of a couple of individuals in one or two weekends away in a limited section of a society is representative of the entirety of public health measures in that country. An independent measure looking at the range of actions may tend to give a greater picture.

And you can look at the data yourself if you like

I just slid the slider until it landed on January, but no matter what dates in January, or any part of the first few months of the year, does Ireland approach anywhere near the “middle”

“I don’t like it therefore I will ignore it in favour of the rantboy2000 index”

Edit

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Which Scandinavian countries are you talking about, those that used restrictions same as we did, or the one that has multiple deaths of the other three combined that you were so adamant we should have been copying by chasing natural herd immunity ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Frankly, I have been asking this question since August 2020 but nobody listens or cares. And certainly nobody seems prepared to ask it of the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

"France is one of the most locked down Countries in Europe right now, theyre no better than us"

Laurent Garnier, Paris 3 days ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVK1qtRj2ys/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ireland has half the ICU capacity per capita of the EU average, despite us being one of the richest EU states. Ireland has ONE QUARTER of Germany's ICU capacity per capita. We've known since March 2020 that the biggest issue facing the country is hospital capacity. The whole reason for lockdowns was to prevent the hospitals becoming overcapacity - flatten the curve etc.

So you might assume given the above we'd be throwing euros at the problem, right? Given how many billions lockdowns cost, and how damaging they are to society?

Wrong. In the budget two weeks ago: "The minister said €10.5m has been provided for 19 additional critical care beds in 2022, bringing the total ICU beds next year to 340". Thats not a typo unfortunately. We're planning on adding 1.5 beds a month...

This government is doing everything it can to blame the 5%~ of adults not vaccinated for the crisis right now fast approaching us. But even if we had 99% vaccinated we'd still be facing the same crisis, just two or three weeks later - enough fully vaccinated people are still landing in the hospitals.

Its pretty clear the government initially banked on lockdowns beating covid. And then banked on vaccinations beating covid. So never properly invested in the hospitals when they had the chance. Which has resulted in us now facing another disastrous winter.

It just boggles my mind why no journalists are holding them to account over this. Its one of the biggest failings of an Irish government ever, and nobody in the press has dared to mention it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I actually thought they were supposed to have been disbanded by now, or was that just another government lie?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

A government ad there on local limerick radio

"If you enter a bar or restaurant that doesn't check for covid certs then take your business elsewhere"

Happy enough with that choice of words rather than telling people to kick up a fuss or report them. It's all down to individual choice and responsibility now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Every single one of these hospitality businesses who claimed taxpayer funded supports; should turn around and tell the government where to stick the covid cert.

Instead all you seem to see is the heads of these businesses on tv/radio almost gleefully proclaiming to be 100% in favour of the measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He is French is he not, so who was he referring to as "us" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement