Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Penfailed

As are we. There's a further easing of restrictions being announced shortly.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I 'leave' the country every day. It's about the same in the north. Our nightclubs will be open before theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

And as soon as we Locked down Hospitality on Christmas Eve Numbers fell so yes I am for real

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I'll only be spending my hard earned at places that don't ask for the cert one of which is my local. Places that discriminate are a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

And is it because their is no option of punishment ? I mean are they just suggestions rather than laws or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Registered Users Posts: 26,929 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Something I'm a little concerned about from a business owners perspective, is these "Failte Ireland Guidelines" to be published later.

VFI"s Donal o keefe asked on morning Ireland, do these guidelines have a statutory footing (legisative), a little stumped he said they'd always adhered to Public Health guidelines, however that wasn't the question and certainly not the answer required.

Failte Ireland Guidelines are just that, guidelines that have Zero legal standing. It would appear what does have more statutory clout, as it were is Public Health advice and my concern (albeit happy with what is being proposed) is governments abject incompetence and rush to react to the absurdities will now lead to night time economy opening full steam ahead, whilst Public Health advice is not necessarily going to tally with the apparent Failte Ireland Guidelines being announced later.

Any move forward, I believed required legisative cover but obviously not enough time for this because of appalling incompetence of government, perhaps more concerned at there next Dail break next week.

In simple terms, say I own a nightclub, decide to check with my insurers re public liability cover etc, I'm not entirely confident the business owner will get the answer they are looking for given the conflict between NPHETs advice and now Failte Ireland Guidelines that have no statutory clout.

Just a humble opinion I might add, let's not forget the difficulties (still on going) with business interruption insurance payouts or lack of same)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Actually hospitality closed at 3pm on Christmas Eve but the numbers didn’t begin to fall until closer to 12am on Christmas Eve, which was round about the same time as Santa arrived. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

In light of recent doom and gloom news regarding NPHET’s ‘concern’ and rising case numbers there will be some in here absolutely elated, their lockdown utopia may be on the horizon and they would do anything to get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I'm surprised too about this given we recently had a major scandal arising from confusion between Failte Ireland interpretations, and the Attorney General's interpretation (i.e. Merriongate).

I think the ambiguity in this case is a feature, rather than a bug. It lets everybody pretend that they thought they were correct. But you're right, this should be clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yep. Some people not happy society is moving on without them.

It really does need clarification, I personally know two people still fighting insurance companies (one in hospitality)

There's this perception Failte Ireland has statutory authority, it does not, its remit primarily encompasses, Tourism promotion, Training and overseeing standards for businesses registered with it, mainly hotels, B&B"s, indeed few if any pubs nightclubs or restaurants would have been Failte Ireland registered before the pandemic, the only reason they might be now, is only to do with the fact it was a requirement if any business wanted to apply for Government pandemic grant supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Absolutely. A lot of people will be getting moist at the mere thought of another lockdown

Michael Mc Namara (who I can't abide) on Morning Ireland expressing serious concerns about the legal standing , basis for new guidelines , apparently he raised this in the Dail yesterday, this coming from a TD who was very, very anti NPHET and lockdowns .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Aine Lawlor fell out of her chair to say she's never heard anyone on RTE vilifying unvaccinated people, 15 seconds after asking "what should we do about unvaccinated people taking up space from cancer patients"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭prunudo

I used to think the same, but tbh, I think there are very few people who genuinely want lockdown.

What we have, and its particularly prevalent on here, is cheerleaders for everything the government say. No matter the line is they tow it, they fall over themselves trying to back it until it changes and then claim that this was always the plan and now will defend the new line. They will jump on and ridicule any poster that is suspicious of government policy. Its all almost as predictable as the politicians false promises.

It was gold 🤣🤣 how dare any guest disparage RTE , did you notice how abruptly the interview ended, Michael got very Tetchy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well she did have cancer herself so not an unsurprising question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

You frequently make comments like that. Please identify even a few of these "some in here" for whom lockdown is utopia. Thanks in advance. If you can't, please stop posting this nonsense.

• Advertisement

Yes fair point, I personally don't believe or am aware RTE staff have ever vilified the unvaccinated, but fair to say they've certainly entertained a lot of guests who have, Claire Byrne a perfect example.

Likewise, you might kindly identify some of these people. For my part, everyone I have ever met hates lockdowns and craves a return to normality (but when possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I know someone who has worked with Claire Byrne and describes her as an excellent professional but has avoided any of her broadcasts of any shape or size since this began. I always thought she had talent but find this relentless unhealthy obsession with COVID anything but professional. I might even call it deranged myself.

Yeah, he probably has a point. Michael is a solicitor and whilst not my cup of tea generally he is a fairly bright guy. I agree that insurers could jump on the distinction you point out between extant public health advice and the new Bord Failte Guidelines. They are tying themselves up in knots trying to open nightclubs. I think the solution was let nightclubs open fully, no restrictions once in, but only if booked in advance and a negative antigen test provided on the night - though I appreciate the logistics of that could be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I quite like the fact that the sort of people "who would take their business elsewhere" will not be in my local. Well rid.

Excellent points and in a normal scenario if I were a business owner I wouldn't be concerned, unfortunately recent history has proven its better to be concerned and not have this come back bite people in the ass, businesses need cast iron assurances, not guidelines 😏, government totally at fault here but of course history also shows us, they won't be quick to take any responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

anecdotes = experience

Experience can tell us things we can't ascertain from looking at statistical charts.

When I got back to Ireland recently I rang my sister and she was ranting about vaccines on the phone which I thought was strange.

Now I understand having been back a while, the mental atmosphere in Ireland is 24/7 covid-world vaccine-land. Very bad for the mind.

Can't wait to get away again. I've taken 3 holiday breaks this year, booked one more and thinking of planning a fifth.

RTE, Irish Times, Newstalk, public discourse has become a rabbit hole of fear, resentment, anger, despair, - better to ignore politics altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'd argue that Michael McNamara is not anti Lockdown or NPHET but he is asking the questions no other TD or media are asking.

Its a shame the Irish system means he'll never have a realistic chance to be a minister or Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

It's October 2021 and you're still paying attention to that poster?

• Advertisement

Perhaps anti the wrong word, but certainly he was absolutely no fan of NPHET or restrictions of any sort, I mentioned this for context in the sense he's raising concerns about the validity of these guidelines being released later today

Advertisement