Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

The rankings (and only showing 3 per country). updated date was 15th, due to be updated tommorrow.

200m m (56)
    34 Leon Reid
    36 Marcus lalor
    400m(48)
    O'Donnell 72
    800m (48)
    English 26
    Fitzsimmons 53

1500m (45)
    Coscadden 32
    McCann 60
    Travere 83
    5000m (42)
    Tobin 46
    Hiku 67
    Keane 74
    400m h
    Barr 8th Q
    3000m stp (45)
    Fay 64

100m w (56)
    Neville 54
    200m (56)
    Healy 32
    Rhashdit 73

400 (48)
    Healy 36
    Becker 70
    Madlsey 88
    800(48)
    Power 19
    Clerig Butler 47
    Hartigan 48
    1500(45)
    Mcgeheen 11 Q
    Healy 34
    100m h (40)
    Lavin 42
    3000m stp (45)
    Finn 19th Q
    Flanagan 50
    High Jump
    Hept 24
    O Connor 24

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The update them every Wednesday. It looks like O’Connor has been overtaken in the heptathlon but Healy (both of them), English and Power are safe as houses

Some borderline ones will need big national championship performances

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

C O'Donnell and Phil will be on the plane anyway (relay)
    Coscadden, Lawlor, English look safe in the Mens.
    Sarah Healy and Power in the Womens.
    Hartigan and Siofra could still get the QT
    O'Connors best hope might be a withdrawal in the Top 24.
    Lavin, Tobin and Flanagan could still do it.

The big problem is better performances at a time when a lot of people in other countries are doing the same.
    Will there be "pacing" at Nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Donovan Brazier has not made the Olympics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Nor has Jenny Simpson. It’s a shame to see one of the mainstays of US athletics miss out. It looks like Father Time may have caught up with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Isaiah Jewett illustrates some of what makes the 800m such a compelling distance.

I don't think I've ever seen someone go out HARD and then go even harder on the 400m-600m split: through 400m in 50.6 and then a 25 for the 400m-600m split - doesn't let anyone catch up to him when they'd be expecting him to settle. And he held it together pretty well in the last 100 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jewett gave it some. Should make it an interesting race in Tokyo. No dawdling through the bell in 55. Murphy's still got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

And no Cheruiyot either in the 1500. He's been almost unbeatable in the event these past 3 or 4 years. It really opens things up. Ingebrigsten may now be favourite but won't have it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

C O'Donnell and Phil will be on the plane anyway (relay)
    Coscadden, Lawlor, English look safe in the Mens.
    Sarah Healy and Power in the Womens.
    Hartigan and Siofra could still get the QT
    O'Connors best hope might be a withdrawal in the Top 24.
    Lavin, Tobin and Flanagan could still do it.

The big problem is better performances at a time when a lot of people in other countries are doing the same.
    Will there be "pacing" at Nationals.

He looked safe but is now in serious bother. Five lad made the QT at the weekend and there were 4 places awarded as wildcards meaning he is now ranked 47 of 48. I expect thee will be a few more direct qualifiers this weekend and English is out of the Nationals (quarantine rules). He's been really unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Oldira wrote: »
    He looked safe but is now in serious bother. Five lad made the QT at the weekend and there were 4 places awarded as wildcards meaning he is now ranked 47 of 48. I expect thee will be a few more direct qualifiers this weekend and English is out of the Nationals (quarantine rules). He's been really unlucky.

Surely he is not out of nationals?

• Advertisement

Forge83 wrote: »
    Surely he is not out of nationals?

Not sure. Rules say 5 day quarantine but media says he is running.

he is ranked 31 , taking out >3 per country leaves him at 26 , he made up a place this week. So even if there are 4 wildcards and 5 behind him with Qs, he is still at worst 35th of 48.

jamule wrote: »
    he is ranked 31 , taking out >3 per country leaves him at 26 , he made up a place this week. So even if there are 4 wildcards and 5 behind him with Qs, he is still at worst 35th of 48.

Have a look at this

https://www.worldathletics.org/stats-zone/road-to/7132391?eventId=10229501

Its not the World Rankings that apply but special Olympic ones which are a combination of those that meet qualifying time and rankings. English now ranks 47 of 48 as 41 runners have met the qualifying standard. He missed by 2/100 of a second last weekend.

That’s wrong. There’s only 5 places left for rankings and he’s the 4th of them. There are 43 places already gone to people with the time and universality places

Effectively, he can’t really improve his ranking now anyway. He can run the time or hope others don’t overtake him…

Have a look at this

https://www.worldathletics.org/stats-zone/road-to/7132391?eventId=10229501

Its not the World Rankings that apply but special Olympic ones which are a combination of those that meet qualifying time and rankings. English now ranks 47 of 48 as 41 runners have met the qualifying standard. He missed by 2/100 of a second last weekend.

thanks , I didn't know they actually had that done. It just shows the rankings ain't worth a bollix,

Not sure. Rules say 5 day quarantine but media says he is running.

I presume as his alter ego (Dr English) has been fully vacinated. Not sure if it makes a difference to the quarentine rules though!

I presume as his alter ego (Dr English) has been fully vacinated. Not sure if it makes a difference to the quarentine rules though!

English is skipping the Nationals. Running in Leverkeusen instead on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Ceepo

English is skipping the Nationals. Running in Leverkeusen instead on Sunday.

Probably assumes jt will be a faster race, and potentially get the auto qt.

That or afraid to get beat in the Nationals

Edit. Does anyone else think that you should have to run your national championship to be selected. Similar to most countries.

Ceepo wrote: »

Edit. Does anyone else think that you should have to run your national championship to be selected. Similar to most countries.
    We’re not really in a position to choose. Men’s marathon in Rio is the only time in decades where a selection had to be made

English can’t improve his ranking so running the time is his only option. He obviously doesn’t think that possible in Santry

You kind of do. You have to get permission to miss your national championships if you are a carded athlete or looking to be picked for a major champs.
    So AAI have obviously given him permission.

While I see the reasoning behind his decision to race abroad to get the automatic time, I would agree that athletes should have to run their national championships, no exclusions. Especially considering his event has some excellent depth at the moment in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

I think it's reasonable that athletes can choose their races to get the best opportunity for a time before a major event.
    Yes the Nationals are important and this past 18 months have been crazy.
    Carded athletes are in a difficult position.
    But it is not too much to ask that they give value for money.
    At one level getting to the Olympics is certainly value for money...and there should be no problem that the athlete got a QT at home or abroad.
    Of course people can not qualify and still give value for money...this last year being especially difficult. But people are entitled to ask if athletes made good choices...race selection etc.
    Good luck to all those at home and abroad this weekend.

The other thing I’d note is that English lives and trains in Ireland and has pretty much been an ever present at the nationals

If someone never races them it might be an issue but I don’t think his commitment to Irish athletics can be questioned

Dodge wrote: »
    The other thing I’d note is that English lives and trains in Ireland and has pretty much been an ever present at the nationals

If someone never races them it might be an issue but I don’t think his commitment to Irish athletics can be questioned

I don’t think anybody questioned his commitment to Irish athletics.
    AAI have a fine line to walk making decisions for the organisation as a whole and decisions for individual athletes.
    Mark being excused from nationals is what he wanted to help him get an auto q for the Olympics, nobody is disagreeing with this. But you must look at the flip side also with the likes of Purcell, Fitzsimons, Mcphilips looking to make the next step in their development by taking on and beating Mark at the national championships and the exposure that then gives to both said athletes in the public eye. They might even get auto qualification themselves. For this reason alone I believe it should be 100% compulsory to compete at the Irish championships in your major championship event.

Dodge wrote: »

I wasn't questioning his commitment to Irish athletics.

More a general point that it devalues the national champs when we don't have the best athletes competing in them.

While it certainly was a turbulent 18 months there was certainly opportunity to achieve the qt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

English is not afraid of getting beaten. He can't compete at Nationals because of AAIs dumb quarantine rules. Simple as that.

He's better off in Germany as he will have a pacemaker I assume, to help him get to that auto Q, as he may need it, as he's hanging on by his finger tips for qualification via rankings, and nobody is going to be a sacrificial lamb in a national final let's be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Forge83 wrote: »
    I don’t think anybody questioned his commitment to Irish athletics.
    AAI have a fine line to walk making decisions for the organisation as a whole and decisions for individual athletes.
    Mark being excused from nationals is what he wanted to help him get an auto q for the Olympics, nobody is disagreeing with this. But you must look at the flip side also with the likes of Purcell, Fitzsimons, Mcphilips looking to make the next step in their development by taking on and beating Mark at the national championships and the exposure that then gives to both said athletes in the public eye. They might even get auto qualification themselves. For this reason alone I believe it should be 100% compulsory to compete at the Irish championships in your major championship event.

Maybe if AAI removed their ludicrous quarantine rules he'd be at Nationals. There's an exemption for elite athletes within the government restrictions, yet AAI chooses to ignore this and implement their own rules. For me the blame can be pointed in only one direction here. English is being punished for having the gall to go overseas to try better his career, when bugger all races are being provided here.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

More bad form from the AAI, these guys brought a super energy to meets. My teenage daughters were massive fans and surely that's the demographic we should be trying to tap into.

https://twitter.com/RunDuggieRun/status/1408151055565832196?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Mar Azul wrote: »
    More bad form from the AAI, these guys brought a super energy to meets. My teenage daughters were massive fans and surely that's the demographic we should be trying to tap into.

https://twitter.com/RunDuggieRun/status/1408151055565832196?s=19

Cathal and the JTG lads have done more to promote interest in Irish Athletics than most. This decision is odd and puts an awful lot of pressure on some new voices from the 'widened pool of commentators'. To make this call at seemingly the 11th hour after the lads have done the gig for years is very poor.

AAI's conservatism and lack of imagination over the last 18 months has been $hite. Thank god we had Runuary to keep us going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Let’s be honest the leadership from Athletics Ireland during these turbulent times has been truly shambolic and shocking both for elite athletes and the hobby joggers.

TbL

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Maybe if AAI removed their ludicrous quarantine rules he'd be at Nationals. There's an exemption for elite athletes within the government restrictions, yet AAI chooses to ignore this and implement their own rules. For me the blame can be pointed in only one direction here. English is being punished for having the gall to go overseas to try better his career, when bugger all races are being provided here.

Im not sure how "English is being punished"
    He race in the 19th, that would give him enough time to return home to race the Nationals.
    No i don't agree with the AI policy around quarantine, but it was widely known.
    While do however understand his position re running in Germany to try get the automatic qt.
    Rather than taking a chance on the ranking system. Running a slower time and the possibility of not winning would result in very few ranking points.

Advertisement