Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Mar Azul wrote: »
    More bad form from the AAI, these guys brought a super energy to meets. My teenage daughters were massive fans and surely that's the demographic we should be trying to tap into.

https://twitter.com/RunDuggieRun/status/1408151055565832196?s=19

Another own goal by Athletics Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ceepo wrote: »
    Im not sure how "English is being punished"
    He race in the 19th, that would give him enough time to return home to race the Nationals.
    No i don't agree with the AI policy around quarantine, but it was widely known.
    While do however understand his position re running in Germany to try get the automatic qt.
    Rather than taking a chance on the ranking system. Running a slower time and the possibility of not winning would result in very few ranking points.
    The only way English can overtake any of the lads in front of him is by winning the title in a qualifying time

And if needs the time, then the points don’t matter

So with no chance of improving his ranking, he has to chase the time. It’s that simple

Dodge wrote: »
    The only way English can overtake any of the lads in front of him is by winning the title in a qualifying time

And if needs the time, then the points don’t matter

So with no chance of improving his ranking, he has to chase the time. It’s that simple

That doesn't mean he is being punished for running abroad

Yes im well aware of that, thats why i said i understand his decision to run in Germany.

It may have been also possible to run the time here, they're should will be a few lads around 1.46, 1.47 mark id imagine they'll be around 52/53 400, it would up to him to close it out then.
    Guess we won't find out now anyway

No mention of quarantine here (this year) with quotes from his manager

Presume we can rule that one out so

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/english-s-national-ambitions-sidelined-after-tokyo-qualification-goalposts-shift-1.4602687

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

• Advertisement

Mar Azul wrote: »
    More bad form from the AAI, these guys brought a super energy to meets. My teenage daughters were massive fans and surely that's the demographic we should be trying to tap into.

https://twitter.com/RunDuggieRun/status/1408151055565832196?s=19

Seems like they were unaware of being shafted.
    Very poor from Athletics Ireland.
    http://jumping-the-gun.com/?p=12516

Chivito550 wrote: »

If memory serves me right this isn’t the first run in with Jumping The Gun too

Athletics here is still a minority sport. I was at the nationals 2 years ago and I’d be surprised if there were more than 200 non athlete/coach/family spectators

We can’t afford to be messing about people who give the sport much needed coverage

Ands that’s without, what seems like anyway, some disgraceful pettiness

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I love the AI marketing department, post random videos, I think Cathal was the marketing dept, just nobody told him.

I have a theory, that the snakes want Hamish out but can't afford to get rid of him, so the plan is to get him to keep making a bollix of himself until he decides enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

jamule wrote: »
    I love the AI marketing department, post random videos, I think Cathal was the marketing dept, just nobody told him.

I have a theory, that the snakes want Hamish out but can't afford to get rid of him, so the plan is to get him to keep making a bollix of himself until he decides enough.

Or is Hamish, John Delaney in disguise!!!

Or is Hamish, John Delaney in disguise!!!

Nah, Hamish was brought into the vipers nest to be a nodding donkey, he has done so without anyone hearing much from him. He has gone v quietly in his business of doing nothing for the last few years. (has anyone ever seen him, i'm not sure he actually exists!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nah, Hamish was brought into the vipers nest to be a nodding donkey, he has done so without anyone hearing much from him. He has gone v quietly in his business of doing nothing for the last few years. (has anyone ever seen him, i'm not sure he actually exists!).

The Irish Athletics Mr Snuffleupagus!

TbL

This chap on commentary is so bad it's comical. And they've turned comments off too.

This chap on commentary is so bad it's comical. And they've turned comments off too.

They even got a forigner, he keeps muttering under his breathe, no idea what he is saying.

They must have been the first 2 through the gates, here lads theres the mic , away you's go.

They could of just tuned into Finn commentating in the stadium.

They even got a forigner, he keeps muttering under his breathe, no idea what he is saying.

They must have been the first 2 through the gates, here lads theres the mic , away you's go.

They could of just tuned into Finn commentating in the stadium.

Both AAI employees.

Important not to pin the blame on them. Clearly put in an impossible position and have to step in because they couldn't find anyone external to do it.

The blame is firmly on the leadership. There's a lot of good people in AAI and I've no doubt the two commentating wish they didn't have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Both AAI employees.

Important not to pin the blame on them. Clearly put in an impossible position and have to step in because they couldn't find anyone external to do it.

The blame is firmly on the leadership. There's a lot of good people in AAI and I've no doubt the two commentating wish they didn't have to do this.

Were you asked, genuine question? Because I reckon you’d be decent.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Were you asked, genuine question? Because I reckon you’d be decent.

Nope, and even if I was, I would turn it down knowing how the lads were treated.

I know of two lads who initially accepted, thinking the lads were just unavailable, who have since pulled out upon hearing what happened. Joe Warne was one, as he's posted that publicly on twitter. Won't mention the other, as he may not want it known publicly.

Go Mo, No go.

Not joy for Farah this evening, he missed out on qualifying time.

A lot of me is happy to see this.

Go Mo, No go.

Still has one attempt at the 5000 should he decide

Go Mo, No go.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

Can anyone offer reasoning as to why Adeleke is running the 100 and possibly 200 and not the 400? Seems a ridiculous decision considering there’s a relay squad to be made.

• Advertisement

Forge83 wrote: »
    Can anyone offer reasoning as to why Adeleke is running the 100 and possibly 200 and not the 400? Seems a ridiculous decision considering there’s a relay squad to be made.

She obviously wants to hit the 22.80 auto standard. Following winds forecast all weekend.

She obviously wants to hit the 22.80 auto standard. Following winds forecast all weekend.

Not arguing her talent and ability to run 22.80.
    But after a long NCAA season where she couldn’t run it with far better conditions than you will get in Ireland, it seems an unwise decision.

Also does anybody know why Becker didn’t run the 400?

Forge83 wrote: »
    Not arguing her talent and ability to run 22.80.
    But after a long NCAA season where she couldn’t run it with far better conditions than you will get in Ireland, it seems an unwise decision.

Also does anybody know why Becker didn’t run the 400?

It's a judgement call on her part. She backs herself clearly so best of luck to her.

I'd imagine Becker must be injured. No other reason why she wouldn't be at Nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

https://youtu.be/lRomVOrOYI4

Kilcock 5k 2021
    Some very fast times in Kilcock last night!

Those 400s weren’t good for the heart.
    What a run by Cillin Greene to beat Chris O Donnell.
    Robert McDonnell in 3rd could be going to the Olympics aged just 19.

The selectors have a nightmare decision in the women’s 400 after Sharlene Mawdsley went out too hard and pulled up with 90m to go. Commendable that she took Healy on but could end up being very costly.
    Becker didn’t race because sick and Adeleke running the 100/200.
    Cliondha Manning second in 53.1 but looked very strong.
    What two do they pick?
    Stay loyal with Becker and Mawdsley.
    Look to the future and drop one of them for Adeleke.
    Keep faith in the national championships and choose Manning.
    Impossible decisions.

That was an enjolyable afternoon, Rhasidat and Phil looked impressive, can't wait for the 200m tommorrow.
    Coscoran looked like he was just doing enough and save something for the last chance saloon on tuesday

Sarah Healys kick was great, 30s 200 to finish.

Cillian green timed it perfect, but suprised o'donnell tied up so much.

Wouldn't he need to be in top 2 in the trails

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wouldn't he need to be in top 2 in the trails

Top 2 in the trials, and already having the time definitely go. Plus a third with the time based just on the selectors descion.

robinph wrote: »
    Top 2 in the trials, and already having the time definitely go. Plus a third with the time based just on the selectors descion.

Has he an opportunity to race 5000m now?

Trials were on today, won by Patrick Devers in 13.37, he also has a 13.19, but doesn't make the squad. Butchart was 2nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Great to see molly scott back running well after returning to her home coaching set up with her mum. Good run by Rashidad to win the 100m. Big run from cilin Greene to beat Chris o Donnell in the 4 . Both look to have booked their places for the mixed relay. Selection headache for the women id imagine they will stick with maudsley providing she's not injured and just over cooked it today and Becker runs this season shoukd have secured her place also.
    Be surprised if Healy runs against Rhasidad in the 200m tommorrow. Athletes dont like getting beat by their main rivals. Adekele will claim all sprint records over the coming years 100m 200m and 400m and will stand for many years.

Advertisement