Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hamachi wrote: »
    Perhaps. I’ve just finished the autobiography of another elite female distance runner. It definitely doesn’t include pit stops at MaccyDs.

I saw Rudisha drinking a can of Coca-Cola an hour after a race in Melbourne years back.

They are people, not robots. They'll have the very occasional treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Chivito550 wrote: »
    This is not true. I saw Dina Asher-Smith and half the GB team horsing into Burger King at the airport in Doha before flying home after Worlds. Its absolutely OK to treat yourself to a bit of sh1te every now and again, particularly after having competed and ran well.

That's the relevant phrase

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I saw Rudisha drinking a can of Coca-Cola an hour after a race in Melbourne years back.

They are people, not robots. They'll have the very occasional treat.

Totally agree.

Coke is a great recovery drink. Gets the sugars back up quickly. Enables a tired brain.

If they can't have a treat, whats the point in living. Bolt loved his food.

Its great seeing pro's have treats, it sends the right message out to kids

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

This I feel does cast a shadow of doubt over BTC and Schumacher and the rallying around of her fellow US professionals, is this was another nation the sentiments would be quite different.
    I also find this statement from Houlihan bizarre coming from a professional athlete.
    When I got that email, I had to read it over about ten times and google what it was that I had just tested positive for. I had never even heard of nandrolone.

Anyone with a passing interest in sport and 'cough-cough' marginal gains has heard of nandrolone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The Americans aren't happy over this at all. Very different tone when its one of their own.

Most countries take a different tone when it’s one of their own to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Anyone with a passing interest in sport and 'cough-cough' marginal gains has heard of nandrolone!

I can accept that someone with zero interest in any sport of any description, or even watching any news report on anything and just watching soaps and Love Island might not know about it. But for a sports person to claim to have not heard of it would be like claiming to not know what the Olympics was, or to have never heard of Nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

This is from a 2019 article about "inadvertent doping":
    The possibility of nandrolone-contaminated meat leading to a positive drug test presented itself as an issue at the 2000 Olympics. By 2008, researchers advised Olympians to refrain from eating “indefinable meat dishes (such as pasta filled with meat), which could be made from low-quality meat,” boar meat, and pork offal. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) issued a statement in 2011 urging athletes to use caution when consuming meat. The U.S. Anti-Doping Association (USADA) issued its own guidance on clenbuterol, suggesting that players avoid eating liver, liver products, and “unusual or exotic meat products” when not in the States.

If she's failed a test due to a contaminated burrito, it's very sad - but it also comes close to professional negligence on the part of her or her coach. How does a professional athlete not have that drummed into their head every single day??

Eat junk food all you like, but maybe draw the line at a food truck. I don't understand why you would take a chance like that?

[link to article: https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-strange-case-of-inadvertent-doping/]

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MichiganIrish

Looking at Houlihan's progression closely, it does show a huge jump from 15.00 for 5k in 2017 to 14.34 in 2018 and subsequently to 14.23 in 2020...and this after being an also ran in the Olympic final in 2016 and World Champs final in 2017. Also major progression over 1500m from 4.03 in 2016 to 3.57 in 2018. Her progression from also ran to legit global medal contender in her mid to late 20s would remind you of a certain British athlete...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

New PB for Chris O Donnell 45:86

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ciara Mageean definitely didn’t know. I recall reading an interview with her after the Doha final where she spoke of Shelby being in tears after not medaling, despite running 3:54:xx. Ciara seemed very sympathetic towards her.

I’m disappointed in Shelby Houlihan. I liked her and thought that she seemed like a bit of a character. I will admit though that I’ve had my suspicions about some of the BTC athletes for a while.

Without getting into doping speculation, I believe that a particular East African female runner who has been delivering unprecedented performances this year, is a flashing red beacon. I hope that she is either popped or chooses not to run the 1500, which will open the door to victory for legitimate competitors like Faith Kipyegon or Laura Muir.

Presume you mean Tsegay. I really like her, but yeah her results this year are highly suspect. She struggled her way to a 14:46 5k in Ostrava later September and nine months last she's running 14:13. Indoor WR for 1500m isn't so bad I guess, it is her distance, but to then run 29:39 for 10k on her first attempt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Presume you mean Tsegay. I really like her, but yeah her results this year are highly suspect. She struggled her way to a 14:46 5k in Ostrava last September and nine months last she's running 14:13. Indoor WR for 1500m isn't so bad I guess, it is her distance, but to then run 29:39 for 10k on her first attempt...

Yeah, Tsegay is who I had in mind. I don’t find her performances this year in any way credible. Even the indoor 1500m world record, where she left Muir for dust, didn’t ring true for me. That 10K debut is particularly egregious, particularly when you compare it to somebody like Klosterhalfen, who only ran 31 minutes flat in her debut at the distance.

I’m sorry to say it all just stinks for me.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah, Tsegay is who I had in mind. I don’t find her performances this year in any way credible. Even the indoor 1500m world record, where she left Muir for dust, didn’t ring true for me. That 10K debut is particularly egregious, particularly when you compare it to somebody like Klosterhalfen, who only ran 31 minutes flat in her debut at the distance.

I’m sorry to say it all just stinks for me.

Hope you're prepared for it to potentially get even stinkier! She's going for Dibaba's 1500m record this weekend in Poland.

https://twitter.com/MemorialKusego/status/1404729363074105345

I think she'll get it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Presume you mean Tsegay. I really like her, but yeah her results this year are highly suspect. She struggled her way to a 14:46 5k in Ostrava later September and nine months last she's running 14:13. Indoor WR for 1500m isn't so bad I guess, it is her distance, but to then run 29:39 for 10k on her first attempt...

Looking at the rate current times are tumbling across the board how much of her improvement is down to shoe technology and how much down to "marginal gains"??

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

sarah lavin 12.95pb in madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Also in Madrid, Mark English 1.45.22 , 2nd pl. Eilish Flanagan 9.48 in steeple

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

jamule wrote: »
    sarah lavin 12.95pb in madrid.

Surely good enough to get to Tokyo. Top 40 women go. 12.95 puts her mid 50s but with nearly 20 Americans ahead she looks good. US ridiculous depth in this event.

Corscadden ran 3.36.16 somewhere. ranked 42nd

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Surely good enough to get to Tokyo. Top 40 women go. 12.95 puts her mid 50s but with nearly 20 Americans ahead she looks good. US ridiculous depth in this event.

Great to see sarah get that sub 13 after a rough few years. Some expert on twitter said she can now be competive on a world level. If they check the figures 12.4 is needed at that level and even European level lot more required 12.6 ... . Hopefully she can kick on and try make a European final in future. Derval o Rourkes record will take a lot of beating.

Not an Irish result, but notable from a European perspective.

On a cool, damp evening in Romania, Femke Bol lowered the Dutch 400m record for the third time this season to 50:37. It surely only a matter of time before she runs sub-50.

This is super impressive given that she is still only 21 and her primary event is the 400m hurdles. I’m really looking forward to seeing her challenge the Americans in Tokyo and feel like she has a great shot at a medal. She’s a beautiful runner, extremely relaxed and fluid. I actually feel like she could also be amazing at the 800m and would love to see her try out that event.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Not an Irish result, but notable from a European perspective.

On a cool, damp evening in Romania, Femke Bol lowered the Dutch 400m record for the third time this season to 50:37. It surely only a matter of time before she runs sub-50.

This is super impressive given that she is still only 21 and her primary event is the 400m hurdles. I’m really looking forward to seeing her challenge the Americans in Tokyo and feel like she has a great shot at a medal. She’s a beautiful runner, extremely relaxed and fluid. I actually feel like she could also be amazing at the 800m and would love to see her try out that event.

At the moment she doesn’t look a polished enough hurdler to challenge Muhammad or Maclaughlin but certainly looks good enough for bronze.
    I would agree re the 800m also.

• Advertisement

sarah healy down for poland today, 5 ethipoians in the race so the pace should be hot. anything around her pb will cement her place but i think she could go close to 4.04

Stream for Chorzow here. Will feature Sarah Healy in the 1500m, but perhaps more importantly, a world record attempt by Gudaf Tsegay. Race at 2.30pm our time.

Stream for Chorzow here. Will feature Sarah Healy in the 1500m, but perhaps more importantly, a world record attempt by Gudaf Tsegay. Race at 2.30pm our time.

Not a fan of Tsegay, but if she tows Sarah Healy to a fast time and fingers crossed, an automatic Q, I’m all-in, at least for this afternoon.

Not a fan of Tsegay, but if she tows Sarah Healy to a fast time and fingers crossed, an automatic Q, I’m all-in, at least for this afternoon.

I'll be wincing when she's coming down the home straight anyway, that's for sure :o I think she'll get it, 3:48.27 is my very specific prediction that will probably be wildly wrong :pac: Hoping for a good time for Sarah too obviously.

I'll be wincing when she's coming down the home straight anyway, that's for sure :o I think she'll get it, 3:48.27 is my very specific prediction that will probably be wildly wrong :pac: Hoping for a good time for Sarah too obviously.

I think you’re right and that predicted time looks on the nose to me :).

The only thing that might inhibit her is that the temperature will be > 30 degrees in Chorzow this afternoon. Not sure if that will be a major factor over a distance as short as 1500m though.

Thanks for the live stream link. Will fire it up in an hour.

3:54.01 for Tsegay, so nowhere near the world record, although it is a slight personal best. Hassan and Kipyegon were actually faster in Florence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Daragh McElhinney 3rd 7.52 3000m in Milan.
    Good to see him bounce back from a below par performance in Watford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Boy do the Yanks like a bit of sentimentality. Do they like a 'story'?!

Check out the YouTube replays of the women's 400 Trials final.

Jeez, those trials are tough, eh. Full Olympic level of heats, semis and Final in a lot of the events.

They'll either toughen you up for the real thing or maybe leave an imprint. Impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The US Trails are great to watch. The amount of talent is unreal.
    Way better than the European Championship for competitiveness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The US Trails are great to watch. The amount of talent is unreal.
    Way better than the European Championship for competitiveness

They've been great to follow so far. Following straight after the NCAA championships which brought many young athletes to the fore. It's been interesting to see them then trying to compete against the seasoned pros.

Advertisement